Darryn Colledge

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Why is he starting right now?

A great question from another thread.. the kid isn't physically ready to play this game.. he is getting man-handled at the LOS often.. yes more than Cliffy is getting beat to the outside..

If we don't get a better game out of him this week with the Williams brothers playing inside.. he is going to get beat like a drum.

No running game and pressure in the passing game will mean alot of quick dumps and not many strikes down the field..

Any ideas on how to get this kid some help inside or do we look to shake up the lineup?

I am hoping there is some chatter this week about his play.. he hears it and it ****** him right off. I don't think it is an effort thing.. technique and strength moreso.

Another note... Allen was having a field day stunting inside on our line.. hopefully that "house is cleaned up" yet this week.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Colledge was awful in pass coverage yesterday without a doubt, I think he's been pretty good in pass coverage this season overall. The run scheme 4/5's of the linemen don't seem to get it and it gets worse with Wells at center. Would rather Spitz play center. Tauscher is easily performing the best of our Olinemen.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge is a drive blocking T, not a cut blocking G. TT tried to replace a solid G with Colledge. it has not worked. change the scheme to fit the players on the o-line

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its tough to cover such a dominant frunt such as Kansas CIty and I think we did a formidable job, iy you watched the patriots colts game, the patriots o-line which is supposed to be the best in leage was manhandled by the d line of the colts

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
its tough to cover such a dominant frunt such as Kansas CIty and I think we did a formidable job, iy you watched the patriots colts game, the patriots o-line which is supposed to be the best in leage was manhandled by the d line of the colts

Where were they getting beat? To the outside because on the turf they couldn't handle the speed outside.. we primarly we getting beat on stunts inside.. which to me point to lack of communication on the interior of the line. That might be Wells issue, but Colledge was getting driven backwards alot again yesterday.

Guaranteed that we see some outside to inside stunts this week.. plus he Colledge plays that high again.. the Williams boys will have him on is *** alot.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly my top 5 linemen would be

LT-Clifton
LG-Colledge
C-Spitz
RG-Coston
RT-Tauscher

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A great question from another thread.. the kid isn't physically ready to play this game.. he is getting man-handled at the LOS often.. yes more than Cliffy is getting beat to the outside..

Wrong.

What's your address? I recorded the game, I can send you a copy.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Wrong.

What's your address? I recorded the game, I can send you a copy.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I'm actually curious what is he wrong about?

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score

LT-Clifton
LG-Colledge
C-Spitz
RG-Coston
RT-Tauscher

I would alter it just a bit..

LT - CLIF
LG - Spitz
C- Wells
RG Coston
RT Tausch

Wells being less of a liability than Colledge at this point.. Wells plays better ball outright..

Here is a slightly different idea though.. How about Barbre (agile Tackle which they say is decent in pass protection) at Right Tackle and bring Taucsher inside to shore up the interior?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

LT-Clifton
LG-Colledge
C-Spitz
RG-Coston
RT-Tauscher

LT - CLIF
LG - Spitz
C- Wells
RG Coston
RT Tausch

Wells being less of a liability than Colledge at this point.. Wells plays better ball outright..

Here is a slightly different idea though.. How about Barbre (agile Tackle which they say is decent in pass protection) at Right Tackle and bring Taucsher inside to shore up the interior?

That's not bad, either. If we got rid of Wells I'd be happy. I understand your point about him being less of a liability, but he isn't "much" less IMO. Something like

Clifton
Coston
Spitz
Tauscher
Barbre

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Cory said:

LT-Clifton
LG-Colledge
C-Spitz
RG-Coston
RT-Tauscher

LT - CLIF
LG - Spitz
C- Wells
RG Coston
RT Tausch

That's not bad, either. If we got rid of Wells I'd be happy. I understand your point about him being less of a liability, but he isn't "much" less IMO. Something like

Clifton
Coston
Spitz
Tauscher
Barbre

thats the o-line i would like to see myself

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
The other thing that would do.. is get Barbre on the field and getting some live experience.. if he truly is going to be a Tackle of the future.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
From the Packer Inside Blog today.. posted at 102PM

Changes afoot for offensive line?
Coach Mike McCarthy today acknowledged left guard Daryn Colledge played poorly in Sunday's win at Kansas City and left open the possibility of a change at the position.

"He didn't play very well (Sunday), and he needs to perform better," McCarthy said.

Asked whether he's considering a change, McCarthy said, "That's something you always talk about. ... It's an area that needs to improve."

Whenever Junius Coston fully recovered from his ankle injury, all three players who have started a game at right guard this season -- Coston, Tony Moll and Jason Spitz -- all will be available. That makes it possible one of those players could take over at left guard should Colledge continue to falter.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other thing that would do.. is get Barbre on the field and getting some live experience.. if he truly is going to be a Tackle of the future.

is a 7-1 season the time for that? Against the Vikings and their good front 4 next week?

if we were a horrible team with the season lost like the BEARS(i love a good cheap shot) then yeah.

I dunno.

7-1

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge is a drive blocking T, not a cut blocking G. TT tried to replace a solid G with Colledge. it has not worked. change the scheme to fit the players on the o-line

I couldn't disagree with this more. He's not a drive blocker. He's not strong enough to drive block anyone let alone a guy like Pat Williams or Shaun Rogers. In fact he'd be better off cut blocking because of the apparent lack of strength. Problem is he's just not every good at that. I really don't think Colledge is that good of a offensive lineman. I think the Pack are better off going with Moll or Colston instead of Colledge.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:

is a 7-1 season the time for that? Against the Vikings and their good front 4 next week?

if we were a horrible team with the season lost like the BEARS(i love a good cheap shot) then yeah.

I dunno.

7-1

If he keeps give up pressure and hits on Brett like yesterday.. a good season could turn sour really fast...

Otherwise.. correct we are 7-1... but he blew alot, I mean alot of protections yesterday.. straight up and stunts..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get it. 1 Bad game and he's out? I'm not saying he's been great all season except for yesterday but...huh?

I'm much more concerned about Clifton than a 2nd year player who is struggling a bit.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I dont get it. 1 Bad game and he's out? I'm not saying he's been great all season except for yesterday but...huh?

I'm much more concerned about Clifton than a 2nd year player who is struggling a bit.

It wasn't just yesterday.. he has been getting pushed around for a couple weeks.. notice the shift of the TE.. most plays he stopped over Colledge and helped with a chip block.. that and the running back.. to me.. the Chiefs seen it on film and attacked Colledge with stunts all day long.

I think you undervalue Clifton a little.. does he get beat once in a while, yep.. even the best tackles give a few.. he isn't the best but isn't a liability in the passing game.. run blocking.. hmmm you probably have an argument.. but Colledge isn't excelling their either.. IMO.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you undervalue Clifton a little

I think I overvalued him. When Gb went young with the linemen, Tauscher and Clifton were supposed to be the rocks while the kids grew. He didn't do very great. This year, he isn't doing very great. Probably another case of me expecting too much.

I tend to be more lenient in my criticisms\opinions on younger players because rookies making rookie mistakes happens and younger players making errors is part of the pains of going young. Veterans getting outplayed and committing penalties regularly is just unacceptable.

That's just me. I don't expect the 2nd year guy to be the best guy on the line, and keep in mind isn't that what happened with Cliffy and Tausch? They were very far from perfect in their early years? We should have replaced them?

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
That's just me. I don't expect the 2nd year guy to be the best guy on the line, and keep in mind isn't that what happened with Cliffy and Tausch? They were very far from perfect in their early years? We should have replaced them?

Ahh look at the running game and sack stats with both Cliffy and Tauscher comming in an starting from 2000 on.. they were rocks in the running game and passing game.. has Clifton slowed over the years with the injuries ... heck yes.. is his play level decreasing yep.. but he is still an above average Left Tackle in my book.. at least in pass protection.

I am all for excusing a young player for mistakes.. but he has had a year and a half to correct them and improve.. Colledge today vs last year.. if anything he has regressed from last season. At least his play post the Rams game last year.. that looked much like his game from yesterday.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Ahh look at the running game and sack stats with both Cliffy and Tauscher comming in an starting from 2000 on.. they were rocks in the running game and passing game.. has Clifton slowed over the years with the injuries ... heck yes.. is his play level decreasing yep.. but he is still an above average Left Tackle in my book.. at least in pass protection.

I am all for excusing a young player for mistakes.. but he has had a year and a half to correct them and improve.. Colledge today vs last year.. if anything he has regressed from last season. At least his play post the Rams game last year.. that looked much like his game from yesterday.

Name the games out of the 8 The pass protection was BAD. Out of 8 games, I can only think of maybe 1-2 where it was bad. (or when Favre gets knocked down, does it automatically get a 'BAD' rating?)

It's still a YOUNG O-LINE facing some VERY GOOD D-LINES. Do you expect them to own those d-lines? I don't. I expect them to perform so a win can be won, and Favre just had 360 yards and 2 TDs?

Colledge made mistakes, Clifton made mistakes. There was an injury relacement at center too, right? There wasn't much of a run game to help either. And this overall young AND injury replaced O-line should be flawless?

We won't mention the run game, cuz we dont run it much, and when we do, its not for much, which im sure is Colledge's fault (joke)

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Sorry my bad for pointing out a weakness on this team.. apparently the coaching staff seen it as well..

We are 7-1 what else matters..

So no more Harris, Woodson, Clifton, Tauscher, Poppinga, Bigby complaints as well.. because you know we are 7-1.. (joke).

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for replacing weak links with someone who is better, but quitting on a 2nd year player seems foolish to me. That's all.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I've written about this several times - (today's installment)

He's regressing and needs to be benched.

Don't say it too loud.. he is a young player and should get a free pass.. while proven players are held to a higher standard.. good thing Jennings, Jones, Grant, Krause, Ruvell Martin, Hall threw their pass in the garbage..

Jones made two .. I repeat two mistakes.. was scolded and has bounced back with a vigor..

Grant made a mistake.. didn't see the playing field.. focused on his issues in practice and excelled..

No where in there do I say he won't improve or he "sucks"... just that he isn't getting the job done. Period.. has had a year and half to get it right.. maybe a seat on the pine will change his play.

Members online

Latest posts