Darryn Colledge

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I'm all for replacing weak links with someone who is better, but quitting on a 2nd year player seems foolish to me. That's all.

I am not saying scrapping him for his career, but something needs to change his level of play.. he played better last year.. so he is capable.

Something is amiss.. so maybe a change of scenery for a week or even a quarter or two will change his focus.. it worked with this very same player last year.. with a lot of success.

Why is it, when it is asked for a player to be replaced does it mean that the said player can't earn, yes earn his way back onto the field?

Jones and Grant did it.. why is Colledge any different?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Colledge had to help out on Allen cuz Clifton couldn't handle it. Nah, that couldn't be it.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Maybe Colledge had to help out on Allen cuz Clifton couldn't handle it. Nah, that couldn't be it.

The plays that were apparent to me.. was a couple of outside in stunts in which Colledge couldn't handle Allen at all.. he was by him before Colledge ever got a hand on him..

The other issue was a straight bull rush in which Colledge was simply overpowered straight up.. he played high.. got bent and pushed right back until he was thrown to the side..

I think Colledge is going to be a good pass protecting Tackle in time.. he just has to work on this upper body strength.. he plays naturally high which is good for a tackle to push the ends around. He just is struggling working inside and is getting beaten with leverage.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

The plays that were apparent to me.. was a couple of outside in stunts in which Colledge couldn't handle Allen at all.. he was by him before Colledge ever got a hand on him..

The other issue was a straight bull rush in which Colledge was simply overpowered straight up.. he played high.. got bent and pushed right back until he was thrown to the side..

I think Colledge is going to be a good pass protecting Tackle in time.. he just has to work on this upper body strength.. he plays naturally high which is good for a tackle to push the ends around. He just is struggling working inside and is getting beaten with leverage.

I agree with you. Colledge was awful yesterday. Boone beat him up and Allen was a monster. It wasn't "all" colledge when it came to Allen, though. He was beating Clifton, Colledge, and at times Tauscher.

Reaction score
My ideal O-line:

LT: Clifton
LG: Spitz
C: Wells
RG: Coston
RT: Tausher

Cory, I'm not sure why you think Wells should be replaced, going into the bye our coaches were positive about Wells, rating him as the most consistent lineman we've had this year.

The only potential issue I see with Wells is his loss of strength because of pneumonia.

I'd bench Colledge... I just don't think he has the consistent temperament to overcome his short comings. He needs to spend time in the gym like there is no tomorrow this off-season to add some strength, and perhaps having someone who can instill the concept of leverage into Colledge.

I really want to see how the running game responds to Colledge being taken out, replaced by Spitz (or Moll); I don't think Barber is ready yet.

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
My ideal O-line:

LT: Clifton
LG: Spitz
C: Wells
RG: Coston
RT: Tausher

Cory, I'm not sure why you think Wells should be replaced, going into the bye our coaches were positive about Wells, rating him as the most consistent lineman we've had this year.

The only potential issue I see with Wells is his loss of strength because of pneumonia.

I'd bench Colledge... I just don't think he has the consistent temperament to overcome his short comings. He needs to spend time in the gym like there is no tomorrow this off-season to add some strength, and perhaps having someone who can instill the concept of leverage into Colledge.

I really want to see how the running game responds to Colledge being taken out, replaced by Spitz (or Moll); I don't think Barber is ready yet.

Of all the problems on the O-line (and there are more than a few) Wells is not one of them.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge struggled in pass protection yesterday, and maybe in one or two other games, but the larger issue is that his run blocking has not been good all season and is worse than it was last year. So a shakeup might be in order, especially if a couple other guys get healthy.

Because the team is 7-1 does not mean they should be afraid to make a lineup change to address an obvious weakness, which is poor run blocking.

As for Clifton, I think it said a lot that Jared Allen had his best success on stunts rather than going straight at Clifton. Clifton is still a very good pass blocker, and that's where left tackles make their money.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Colledge struggled in pass protection yesterday, and maybe in one or two other games, but the larger issue is that his run blocking has not been good all season and is worse than it was last year. So a shakeup might be in order, especially if a couple other guys get healthy.

Because the team is 7-1 does not mean they should be afraid to make a lineup change to address an obvious weakness, which is poor run blocking.

As for Clifton, I think it said a lot that Jared Allen had his best success on stunts rather than going straight at Clifton. Clifton is still a very good pass blocker, and that's where left tackles make their money.

just to add to that,,,,,, mm publicly called out the prerformance of an offensive lineman for the second time in his press conference today, he said he was dissapointed in colledges performance and that they wil re-evaluate the position and would make a switch if need be.....

I THINK ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93...i wouldn't argue the point.

Some people defend a guy because he's TT's guy (Colledge), and some people come down on a guy because he's a Sherman guy (Clifton). Even when the evidence is right before them!

Colledge needs to hit the weight room...hard. He probably is a natural OT, and sometimes they can't take to another position. I'd put him behind Clifton, and then groom him to take over when Cliffy's gone. Let him spell Clifton a bit if there are problems. Other than that...keep him the hell out of there because he isn't ready.

I'd leave Tauscher where he is.

Why try to fix what isn't broken?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge set many weight lifting records in college. I read an article that described colledge as having unheard of strength

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
The below highlighted paragraph is yet another time that a shot has been sounded across Spitz and Colledge's bough...

I am expecting them to play lights out this week..

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/256102

Packers: No changing of the guards
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY — After a week of rotating their guards all week in practice, the Green Bay Packers' new starters for Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings at Lambeau Field are ...

... the same guys who finished last Sunday's victory at Kansas City.

Yes, incumbents Daryn Colledge (left guard) and Jason Spitz (right guard) apparently have held serve and are set to start against the Vikings, in part because Junius Coston's sprained ankle isn't healed and rookie Allen Barbre isn't far enough into his development to have mounted a serious challenge for a starting spot.

While coach Mike McCarthy wouldn't rule out the possibility of Coston starting or playing on Sunday, the fact Coston wasn't able to finish practice Friday makes it highly unlikely — especially given that the Packers will be facing one of the NFL's top defensive tackle tandems in Pat Williams and Kevin Williams.

"'Juice' Coston's availability was not what we had hoped, so if we had played the game today, it would be Spitz and Colledge," McCarthy said after Friday's practice. "The medical part of it is something you can't control. Junius is not 100 percent right now. But it did factor into how we (practiced) them these last three days, and it will probably affect the way we decide to go on Sunday.

"I'm not trying to hold a guillotine over their head or anything like that. That's not the purpose. We need to play better, and we're looking for the right combination."

Against the Chiefs, neither Colledge nor Spitz, who shifted from center to right guard to replace Tony Moll during the second quarter, played well. Colledge committed two penalties and allowed quarterback Brett Favre to be pressured into an interception just before halftime.

After 23 consecutive starts, Colledge suddenly found his job in jeopardy — although it turned out to be not so sudden after all.

"Daryn is a man's man. He understands everything that we're concerned about. It's not just something that just popped up," McCarthy said. "This has been going on for a couple weeks, and we're just looking for some consistency from him and from the whole line — in particular in the run-blocking phase."

As a rookie second-round pick last season, Colledge was handed the starting left guard job but had it revoked after a poor showing in the exhibition opener. He regained it after the regular-season opener and admitted later that his benching had been a wake-up call.

"You're fighting for your job every single week. Especially when you're a young guy," Colledge said. "I'm not an established guy, I don't have seven or 10 years under my belt. So I know every single week, if they've got somebody behind me who's better suited for this team, who's going to help this team win better, then they're going to put him in.

"I know last week was a low, I had a bad game, but I haven't changed my mentality in practice at all. I can't be frustrated, because I'm the one who has to perform better, I'm the one who put myself in this position. But I'm the starter until they tell me otherwise. And if that's on Saturday or Sunday morning, that's what it is. But right now, I'm working as if I'm the starter and I'm getting myself ready to play against Kevin and Pat Williams."

Coston, who is listed as probable, said he's prepared to come off the bench if asked, as he did when Spitz aggravated an early-season calf injury.

"I'm definitely not 100 percent, but I feel like if I was called on, I can go out there and be effective," said Coston, who has started four games this season at right guard. "I'm waiting on a call. If they say, 'Juice, get in there,' I'm in there, and I'm playing.

Health watch

Of the 13 players on the team's injury report who haven't been ruled out for Sunday's game, only one — special teams linebacker Tracy White (ankle) — is listed as questionable. The remaining 12, including new starting safety Aaron Rouse (shoulder) and defensive tackles Corey Williams (knee) and Ryan Pickett (knee), are listed as probable and should play.

Meanwhile, four players have been ruled out: cornerback Will Blackmon (broken foot), tight end Bubba Franks (knee), defensive tackle Justin Harrell (ankle) and safety Nick Collins (knee). Collins injured his left knee against the Chiefs, forcing Rouse, a rookie third-round pick, into the starting lineup.

Asked how long he expects Collins to be out, McCarthy replied, "He's still on crutches. (Team physician) Pat (McKenzie) said he's making progress, but it's going to be in the 3-to-4 week range."

Extra points

As dominant as McCarthy's team has been on the road the last year and a half, winning nine of 12 games away from Lambeau Field, the Packers have struggled under McCarthy at home, going just 6-6. Asked about the .500 home record, McCarthy replied Friday, "We have an incredible environment to play in at Lambeau Field, second to none. We have no excuse with our record being better on the road than home. We just need to play better, start fast and just do the fundamental things it takes to win a football game." ... McCarthy said the halfback rotation will remain the same: "Ryan Grant will be the starter, Brandon (Jackson) will be the backup and play special teams, and Vernand (Morency) will be the situational player (on third down) and special teams." ... McCarthy said center Scott Wells, who returned to action last week following a fractured eye socket and pneumonia, is "back close to 100 percent."

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Props to Colledge for responding yesterday. The whole offensive line played a lot better. And thanks to Chilly for dropping his DTs into coverage. On Ruvell's first td, there were 9 in coverage and Brett STILL found him. 8)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Colledge and the whole line did very well against a very good line. Good thing MM didn't go the route a lot of people on this thread wanted to go. Young players will have bad games and slumps. They need chances to respond. This was one of those responses.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Yeah, Colledge and the whole line did very well against a very good line. Good thing MM didn't go the route a lot of people on this thread wanted to go. Young players will have bad games and slumps. They need chances to respond. This was one of those responses.

By calling him out by name last week and basically putting his job on the line, don't you think that maybe had something to do with his and the entire lines play this week? In essence, both guards were benched and had to earn the right to play.. which when reading the thread is what most wanted... them to pick up there play.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

By calling him out by name last week and basically putting his job on the line, don't you think that maybe had something to do with his and the entire lines play this week? In essence, both guards were benched and had to earn the right to play.. which when reading the thread is what most wanted... them to pick up there play.

You, I, and several others talked about this last week. It was unusual for MM to name a player but he obviously was lighting a fire there. It seems that Colledge may not have a natural feel for pad level and get's high which get's him beat.

The guy is definately good enough if he doesn't fall back on bad habits. He had a hell of a game against a good defensive line so hopefully we won't hear his name again for anything other than playing well.

All in all it's going to be interesting because it just seems like the coaches really like Coston and that he is not far off from a starting job. He's definately the most physically and athleticly gifted offensive lineman they have.

Depth. What a wonderful thing.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
You, I, and several others talked about this last week. It was unusual for MM to name a player but he obviously was lighting a fire there. It seems that Colledge may not have a natural feel for pad level and get's high which get's him beat.

The guy is definately good enough if he doesn't fall back on bad habits. He had a hell of a game against a good defensive line so hopefully we won't hear his name again for anything other than playing well.

All in all it's going to be interesting because it just seems like the coaches really like Coston and that he is not far off from a starting job. He's definately the most physically and athleticly gifted offensive lineman they have.

Depth. What a wonderful thing.

I watch the game again last night.. the whole line played lower but noteably the two in question... Spitz and Colledge.. on one of the edge runs, I believe the TD.. Collegde delivered a kickout block that was a dandy.. hope they play like that for the rest of the year.

Amazing what calling out a player once in a while does, don't go overboard with it, but use it when you need it the most.

My hat goes off to Colledge and the rest of the hog mollies up front.. dang nice game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts