Darren Sharper Speaks Out

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:shock:

New Viking thinks positive
Free safety Darren Sharper sat down on the eve of his first Vikings minicamp and said Minnesota is the team to beat in the NFC North, a Super Bowl contender and should have a "top-five" defense.

As bold as the first two statements are, the last one is more courageous. The Vikings haven't ranked higher than 23rd since 1998.

"If that's what Darren says, I'll take it," defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said. "That No. 28 ranking last year still bothers me."

The Vikings' new-look defense, which includes at least five new starters, will practice together for the first time this morning when a three-day minicamp begins at Winter Park. There will be little contact and a lot of teaching and building of team chemistry over six practices, especially on defense.

"This minicamp is huge for us to get this thing started on the right path and to stay there," Cottrell said. "There is an enthusiasm that we all have because of the investments that were made on defense. I know I'm juiced up about this thing."

No newcomer will look stranger in purple today than Sharper. After all, he spent his first eight seasons with Vikings archrival Green Bay.

"I think I look pretty good in purple," said Sharper, who signed with the Vikings on March 12, two days after the Packers cut him in a salary cap decision. "This is my team now. I've been here working out already. There's probably 60 guys here, which is about twice what we'd get in Green Bay at the offseason program. I'm already comfortable here."

Sharper recently threw away his favorite leather Packers carry-on bag and plans to ship all of his green and gold memorabilia to his parents' house in Richmond, Va., rather than bring it with him when he moves into an apartment in Uptown next month.

"I loved my time in Green Bay," said Sharper, who went to two Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl with the Packers. "But I'm not necessarily sure with the situation they're in as far as personnel and the salary cap how easy it's going to be for them to win. I know I'm in a better position now to achieve my goal of getting to a Super Bowl. That makes it easier to switch sides and leave those things behind."

Besides Sharper, the Vikings' new defensive starters include cornerback Fred Smoot, strong-side linebacker Napoleon Harris, tackle Pat Williams and middle linebacker Sam Cowart. Rookie first-round draft pick Erasmus James would be the sixth new starter if he beats out Darrion Scott at left end.

"We can be a top-five defense, no question about it," Sharper said. "Coach Cottrell had the No. 1 defense [in Buffalo in 1999]. And now he has the players here that will allow him to do what he likes to do. We just have to get on the field and start proving it."

===============================

I got one response -

CHOKE

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think I look pretty good in purple," said Sharper
Is the because he tackles like a girl?

"...I know I'm in a better position now to achieve my goal of getting to a Super Bowl. That makes it easier to switch sides and leave those things behind."

Ah yes, there is that "I" in team again. Doesn't matter though, I'm sure DC won't be able to lead them through the playoffs anyway. Heck if they get into the playoffs on their own that would be a shocker too!

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you get top five when you were in the bottom 4. Didn't Washington already try this approach a couple yearrs back with Carrier, Sanders and all the rest?

flash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait to see Davenport catch Sharper in the chin with his knee as he runs over him! :lol:

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Yeah, I'm just glad it's not us that he's embarassing with his ridiculous predictions anymore...
Yeah, our defense was supposed to be so aggressive and so awesome last year... :roll:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Let him talk he never backs it up anyway.

Sharper plays centerfield well, but he's another reason why we could never tackle, i'm actually intriuged to see how arturo freeman and nick collins (and the rest) will do at safety, especially playing the run, we can't be any worse...

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if the Vikings realize it was Sharper that tried to tackle Moe Williams by throwing a shoulder at him on their first possession/score in the playoff game this last January. Yes, Sharper, a SAFETY....actually, let's think about that for a second...Safety...as in "Safety Valve". What you depend on when everything else has failed, your last line of defense..literally. He tries to tackle a guy streaking for the endzone by throwing a shoulder at him...oh yeah, and missing BADLY. Whaddya say you actually use your arms and try to TACKLE the guy? Hmm? Too much to ask? I guess so... take him Minnesota..he's all yours.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
I wonder if the Vikings realize it was Sharper that tried to tackle Moe Williams by throwing a shoulder at him on their first possession/score in the playoff game this last January. Yes, Sharper, a SAFETY....actually, let's think about that for a second...Safety...as in "Safety Valve". What you depend on when everything else has failed, your last line of defense..literally. He tries to tackle a guy streaking for the endzone by throwing a shoulder at him...oh yeah, and missing BADLY. Whaddya say you actually use your arms and try to TACKLE the guy? Hmm? Too much to ask? I guess so... take him Minnesota..he's all yours.

exactly...the Freeman/Little/Collins/Underwood platoon isnt looking all that bad right now

Gravedigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sharper and his big mouth fit right in with the team that loves to talk. Blah, blah, blah.

And good riddance.

spaulding

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His quote was something like I don't know if we'll be the Purple People Eaters but we'll be the "Purple something". Shakespeare he's not.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enjoyed all comments about Sharper in Minnesota, My comment is Amen !!!! I must remind Sharper----Green Bay Packers 12--Minnesota Vikings 0-zero-zip-nothing!!! That is N.F.L Championships, in case you didn't know-- Sharper!!!

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spaulding said:
His quote was something like I don't know if we'll be the Purple People Eaters but we'll be the "Purple something". Shakespeare he's not.

he just didn't wanna say purple ******* to the reporter.

the 2 things i remember most about him last yr are the moe williams attempted tackle and him "picking up" an indy wr and he was 20 yds away when they scored.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts