Cuts?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Am I the only guy who thinks the Pack should keep Jones and Gurley and let Driver go? Cobb needs to play the slot more often. He needs his playing time increased. Driver keeps Cobb off of the field. Gurley and Jones are both younger than Driver.

I love Driver as a player and a person, but the young players need their shot.

No, you're not the only one. I would keep Gurley over Driver for several reasons. He's more of a redzone threat with his size. He's at the beginning of his career, rather than the end. And most importantly, he's a solid contributor on special teams, which is something Driver does not do.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Einstein thinks he's worth a 3rd. I would be surprised if my scenario happens, just mentioned because of the rumor yesterday that Miami was interested in trading. I think JJ is worth more to us than he would be to other teams. Because they are different players I don't see as having any impact on the matter.
I didn't say I thought he was worth a third, I said I thought taking anything less would be dumb. I don't think anyone will go that high though, for the reason you said. He's worth more to us than to other teams.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve advocated for Driver’s departure too. Here in the official Driver thread (so much for “official”!):
http://www.packerforum.com/threads/this-is-the-official-driver-thread.36280/#post-444978

While it looks like Boykin will make the final roster (he’s the only “extra” WR left with a chance) I do think it’s fair to say none of Boykin, Gurley, or Borel made Thompson keep them and that is disappointing to me. And it’s not like Thompson hasn’t kept “extra” players if he and his staff think the players kept are deserving (eg 3 FBs). I thought Driver’s roster spot was secured as soon as he signed his deal with significant guaranteed money as long as he didn’t get injured.

BTW, I am anxiously awaiting the news of who Thompson acquires to backup LT.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if they will try to sign Muir after the first game, then cut him again after Neil's suspension is over. Whatever D-lineman they keep on the roster now they have to pay him for the entire season. If they bring a D-lineman back after the first game, they can pay him on a per game basis then cut him when Neal is added to the roster without having to pay him for the entire season. Would not surprise me if they tried that for a few weeks with Wynn or Muir until Neal gets back. No sense paying a D-lineman a full years salary if you plan on cutting him anyway in a few weeks when Neil returns.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now Sherrod is on the PUP list??? Boykin makes the roster and they are rolling with an extremely thin o-line?? Something else must be up.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I wonder if they will try to sign Muir after the first game, then cut him again after Neil's suspension is over. Whatever D-lineman they keep on the roster now they have to pay him for the entire season. If they bring a D-lineman back after the first game, they can pay him on a per game basis then cut him when Neal is added to the roster without having to pay him for the entire season. Would not surprise me if they tried that for a few weeks with Wynn or Muir until Neal gets back. No sense paying a D-lineman a full years salary if you plan on cutting him anyway in a few weeks when Neil returns.

....and cut who? This makes no sense.

They already have to make a cut when Waldon gets back, also when they sign an OT off waivers.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
7 is incredibly thin for OL, but its apparently not like any of them were really worth keeping.
6 WR was expected, but am I the only one who thinks Driver could get cut mid season when pup ends?
I think Muir getting cut and the retention of 11 DB shows the team wanted "change" on defense. Nickels and dimes...
11 (including Walden) deep at LB might be overdoing it a bit.
Starks you have one chance to redeem yourself!!!
Teds ways are above my ways...

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Now Sherrod is on the PUP list??? Boykin makes the roster and they are rolling with an extremely thin o-line?? Something else must be up.
Agreed, something doesn't add up. What good does a sixth WR do for you if you can't hold the line together. Barclay did make the roster but still. I think there will be Packer roster news tomorrow or very soon.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
7 is incredibly thin for OL, but its apparently not like any of them were really worth keeping.
6 WR was expected, but am I the only one who thinks Driver could get cut mid season when pup ends?

Not mid-season. I think Starks or Saine would get cut first.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd keep DD because of his performance in the Giants game--the only receiver to show up and play like he wanted to win. Good example for the young guys who may shy away from going over the middle.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm kind of pumped Richardson made the roster too. Packers can use a guy like that against running teams like the 9ers.
I know Muir is a shock but my belief is that the Packers staff saw the potential in Merling that made him such a high draft pick. I think they believe they can coach him up in the next four weeks or drop him when Neal comes back. He has improved in camp.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it looks as though the Packers kept 7 OL AND 11 defensive backs. Brandian Ross apparently made it too...

Tramon Williams
Jarrett Bush
Casey Hayward
Davon House
Sam Shields
Brandian Ross

Charles Woodson
Morgan Burnett
Jerron McMillian
M.D. Jennings
Sean Richardson

Brad Jones also made the team. Bleh.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Starks goes on IR and gets designated as the player to return to clear up 1 roster spot....or House but I really hope he is ready to rock now and not 10 weeks from now.

Richardson or Ross goes when Walden is back.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Not sure which I'm more surprised about- keeping 5 safeties, or 6 CB's?

Well, they always kept 6 CBs since TT has been here. Ross is the odd man out when Walden comes back or we get an OT this week.

I would say Saine is #50.......Manning #51......Boykin #52....... Ross #53 on the roster. Look for a couple of these guys to move on after some moves are made.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Suspended: Walden Neal
Pup: Sherrod Quarless Brooks Zombo

Cuts:

Walden in, Francois out. Lattimore and Jones are above him on the depth chart, Manning, a draft pick this year who had an unfortunate offseason situation is the only one behind him. I would actually hope more for Jones, but the CS like him too much. Given our excessive depth at LB, it makes sense to me that another LB gets cut.

Neal in, Merling cut. Merling is our Bandaid FA until Neal gets back. TT signed a lot of FA this season. He also already released most of them.

Quarless in, Taylor cut. DJ Williams had a terrific preseason and Crabtree has started developing some dimension to his game. Taylor did not have the kind of preseason needed to save his job when Quarless returns and it is unlikely he will get the chance to redeem himself during the season. Especially considering injury will probably diminish his ST production.

Sherrod/House/Starks to IR. Sherrod Needs to come back: FACT. Unfortunately at this point we have no clue if Sherrod will even be healthy enough to come back, and with his limited development it will be hard to expect much of anything out of him. It is also likely that House winds up dislocating his shoulder again, or Starks winds up out yet again with yet another injury because he can't get his pads down.

Zombo cut. His injury history is a giant black strike against him, and he's better at coverage than rushing but hasn't had cross training for ILB. Yet the final nail for the coffin is the depth we currently have at the LB position.

Brooks to IR. Really he should have started the season there. He's an undersized interior lineman with experience in a zone blocking scheme who didn't do anything with the Packers after signing with them because of a knee injury. The Pack was rumored to want to give him cross training at center. With the emergence of Barclay, Brooks is as expendable as he is inexperienced. Look for him to be switched to IR.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Einstein thinks he's worth a 3rd. I would be surprised if my scenario happens, just mentioned because of the rumor yesterday that Miami was interested in trading. I think JJ is worth more to us than he would be to other teams. Because they are different players I don't see as having any impact on the matter.
Read this as soo sarcastic until I realized the guy's username is actually Einstein lol

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, a 3rd. is too high for a team assuming that contract, though I don't see the need for name calling.

How about JJ and Hawk for Jake Long. :confused: OK, OK...we'll throw in Bush.
I honestly wouldn't even do this considering Long's 123,423 million dollar contract. Also giving up JJ, who most of you already know my feelings on him, Our perennial leading tackler, and all-pro special teams player who can also play every position in the d backfield. That's a lot to give up in return for a position we've spent 1st and... 5th round picks on I think??

H

HardRightEdge

I honestly wouldn't even do this considering Long's 123,423 million dollar contract. Also giving up JJ, who most of you already know my feelings on him, Our perennial leading tackler, and all-pro special teams player who can also play every position in the d backfield. That's a lot to give up in return for a position we've spent 1st and... 5th round picks on I think??

Long will be a free agent after this year. Whaddayathink? $11 mil per year maybe? Joe Thomas got an 8 year deal at $11.5 mil per year at this time last year, and Long is not quite that player.

Hawk is at about $6.75 per + Bush is at $1.75 per + JJ is at about $3.1 per = about $11.6 for the next couple years anyway.

It's possible it could work for us I think, but why would MIA do such a thing? I guess I'm still having trouble with those icon faces. Which one would be best to communicate "dead pan humor"? ;) It seems any one of them would indicate some kind of humor was involved.

Seriously, though, 5th. round picks are not a big deal...trade fodder to move up a few spots in the second round...and the prognosis for the 1st. rounder is not exactly rosey. Clearly we're gonna dance this year with the ones who brung us. However, if Newhouse does not show further development and Sherrod does not recover to some serviceable level, we could be looking for a guy next off season/draft.

Latest posts