CUTDOWN DAY 2019 -- the Turk cometh and taketh away the playbook

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've mentioned it twice already. experience. they're playing the long game here.
McCray was about as average at back up as a player can be. Teams lose guys of his caliber 20 times a season and it's not a hit. His ceiling was not quite a Don Barclay, and his basement was probably the same one.

McCray is in his 4th or 5th season? If they were playing the long game and he was better than someone else on the roster, they would have kept him. It's not like he's 35 and got 10 years on his body. He easily in the mix for the next 3-4 years, IF they felt he was better than the people they kept. They didn't.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoyer signed a cheap deal with NE in 2017 for 3 years, $4.8 mil total. $2.8 mil was supposed to come this year with $1.5 mil guaranteed, so Hoodie gave him a nice parting gift.

I can't imagine he'd be anything but inexpensive now. I would not object. The guy has won some football games which is more than we can say about Kizer or Boyle. Hoyer was 16-15 as a starter before going 0-6 with SF in 2017.

The Seahawks, Broncos and Colts have only 1 QB on their roster at this point. There could be lots of competition for Hoyer. I wouldn't mind him as a #2 either. Like you said the guy has won some games.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Seahawks, Broncos and Colts have only 1 QB on their roster at this point. There could be lots of competition for Hoyer. I wouldn't mind him as a #2 either. Like you said the guy has won some games.

I would love to see Hoyer in Green Bay. The Packers tried to sign him back in Nov. of 2017, but he ended up signing with the Pats.

I'm not a big fan of having a guy like Boyle as the backup, zero NFL experience, I guess we will see by Thursday if the Packers are.

Reaction score
I would love to see Hoyer in Green Bay. The Packers tried to sign him back in Nov. of 2017, but he ended up signing with the Pats.

I'm not a big fan of having a guy like Boyle as the backup, zero NFL experience, I guess we will see by Thursday if the Packers are.
Right now, I have QB #2 and ILB as our top priorities. There should be some nice options after today and we need to keep the throttle down. We freed up adequate cap space for this very reason.. let's not pull an Abe Lincoln/"Little Mac" indecisive remake and delay finishing the war.
Lay the hammer down Gutey!

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I favored Shepherd over Lazard for one particular reason. I didn't want to make a big deal out observations on just a couple of plays with guys on the bubble, but I thought I detected Lazard having some difficulty tracking and adjusting to balls over his head, a sideline go route, a corner fade. If that's a persistent problem it sharply limits what a wideout can do and it is the kind of thing that cannot be coached away.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just figured Shepherd brings a slightly different skill set we don't really have. We have a lot of tall WR's. We don't have many shifty guys besides Adams and he's a different type of shifty. Plus he's a back up in the return game. He'll learn to hang onto the ball better.

But I did think Brown, Dexter Williams, or Madison were lucky to have been given a roster spot over Lazard. I know positional numbers come into play, but when it comes to "earning" a spot, I though Lazard did more to do that than those guys. Though Madison would be an easy PS player. Didn't look ready for NFL yet, but clearly they liked what he had in college and were going to give him more time.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
ouch

and people will still expect it to be easier to find a quality back up for an affordable price in this league
If Hoyer had any value, BB would have done his annual hoodwinking and gotten a high draft pick for him. If BB doesn't want him and couldn't get a return for him ....

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing with Kizer likely is because it was so close to cut down day. The same could probably be said for Josh Doctson, Kiko Alonso, etc. They weren't necessarily "must-haves" for a team, so they're willing to gamble for the waiver wire or negotiating with Free Agents. There's also the issue of money as well. I'd say the same probably went for LeSean McCoy too....he went from making over $6M with the Bills to $4M with the Chiefs.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Although I read rumors of it being a possibility, the Jets cutting Jachai Polite was probably one of the more shocking moves to me yesterday. Before the combine, there was talk of Polite going high in the draft. I even saw some mock drafts having the Packers taking him with their #12 pick. Boy, if people are disappointed in Gary!

After the combine and some interviews his stock plummeted and I guess I can see why. The Jets thought they were getting a 3rd round steal and ended up getting a guy that never played an NFL regular season snap for them.

https://lombardiave.com/2019/02/25/packers-edge-rusher-jachai-polite-mock-draft/

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowney was already traded to the Seahawks. You were probably already aware of that but just in case.
No i wasnt, but did see it later.

I was aware that houston wanted to get rid of clowney and were going back and forth for Tunsil. I thought it was more about getting rid of clowney than getting Tunsil (in particular. I know they wanted OL help)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be that you're treating their choice of who to keep and who to let go as if it's some loss that's outside of their control.
out of their control? they're clearly willing to do it. teams do it all the time. they'll take a hit here and there for cap reasons and whatnot. i know they have their reasons and i'm not necessarily disagreeing with it. just saying imo they're taking a hit in the OL depth/experience (and probably shear ability) dept for a while. you're not arguing madison and patrick are better than mccray are you? because at this point they're not.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No i wasnt, but did see it later.

I was aware that houston wanted to get rid of clowney and were going back and forth for Tunsil. I thought it was more about getting rid of clowney than getting Tunsil (in particular. I know they wanted OL help)

Sounds like they were trying to do a Clowney for Tunsil type thing but Clowney said he wouldn't play for Miami. That's what the article on NFL.com said anyway.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
out of their control? they're clearly willing to do it. teams do it all the time. they'll take a hit here and there for cap reasons and whatnot. i know they have their reasons and i'm not necessarily disagreeing with it. just saying imo they're taking a hit in the OL depth/experience (and probably shear ability) dept for a while. you're not arguing madison and patrick are better than mccray are you? because at this point they're not.

I have no idea about Madison. I've barely seen him play. I don't think there's a big difference between Patrick and McCray. Furthermore, if they let McCray go because he doesn't work in this offense then it really isn't a hit to their depth. Their depth are the guys they kept, that aren't starting, that they deem to be better fits.

Reaction score
I have no idea about Madison. I've barely seen him play. I don't think there's a big difference between Patrick and McCray. Furthermore, if they let McCray go because he doesn't work in this offense then it really isn't a hit to their depth. Their depth are the guys they kept, that aren't starting, that they deem to be better fits.
Madison had some repetitive fouls, likely from being a little rusty there with a year off. The staff probably figured if they can clean that up he’s the better athlete or at least has better upside than McCray.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Madison had some repetitive fouls, likely from being a little rusty there with a year off. The staff probably figured if they can clean that up he’s the better athlete or at least has better upside than McCray.
yup...given time. he's had more than his share of holding penalties this preseason and that's going up against backups like himself.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Little tidbit I'd like to share....

Tom Silverstein reported that Brady Sheldon's spot on the Practice Squad opened up only because somebody backed out. That person was likely S Natrell Jamerson, who was signed to the Panthers. I had Jamerson over Redmond as he seemed more versatile and a better tackler. But what do I know....good luck to the former Badger.

Ryan Wood reported that he quoted Gute saying Boyle performed better in the preseason games, so that 113.0 QBR stat line held some considerable weight. Gute also said he talked to MLF to make sure he was comfortable with going with 2 QBs and he indeed was, so Boyle gets his chance.

Last edited:

Members online