Cullen Jenkins: My Take

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen Jenkins is one of my favorite players on the team. He is a very, very good defensive end. He had 7 sacks this year despite wearing a club on his hand for most of the season and sitting out games due to injury. I personally believe that his return at the end of the year sparked the defense to play better.

Unfortunately, I see him leaving as a free-agent. Raji is the starting NT and Pickett is the starting end. In the past few years, the Packers have added Mike Neal, CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson through the draft. Justin Harrell is coming back from injury (yes, I know he has done nothing to warrant playing time or a roster spot), Johnny Jolley is coming back from suspension and Howard Green would be much, much cheaper to resign.

If anybody has seen any mock drafts, the Packers look to be taking either a defensive end or offensive tackle in the first round. Todd McShay has the Pack picking Temple DT/DE Muhammad Wilkerson with pick #32.

I would love Jenkins to be a career Packer, but it just doesn't look that way.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be shocked if Harrell ever sees the field again. His body has told him time and time again that it is not built for the rigors and demands of professional football.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love jenkins too amazing player they get a deal done barnett may be gone though

Though Barnett is still under contract, right? How big would the hit be in cutting him?

I think Barnett is most likely gone, though I have a feeling they may work something out for him to stay...if he is willing to take less money.

Jenkins, in my opinion has to be re-signed. I know it will be pricey, but to have depth...we need those guys. Harrell is gone, I doubt he will still be here. Though again if he is under contract, I don't know how big the hit would be.

I understand we have a lot of guys in the mix, especially with Jolly possibly coming back, as well as Neal, Wilson and Wynn. But, we need depth. 3-4 takes a lot hard going linemen, that need to be rotated out. But, I think they can live without him, but I think overall the line will hurt losing Jenkins. And significantly hurts the depth.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell will be gone by the time May/June comes around, I can't see GB putting more time into him, feel bad for him but TT should never have drafted him.

I can't see Barnett being back, and Hawk will take over his spot permantlly on this team as the Defense play caller and one of the leaders.

Jenkins...is a toss up, depends on how much he wants and how much TT will work that out

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just trying to remember, who said it. Whether it was a TV person or a Packer...It might have been Rodgers talking about who was going to be back and why they are going to be good next year. I could have sworn he said Barnett...I know he said Finley....but I could have sworn he said Barnett. It might have been on the NFL Network set immediately after the Super Bowl.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well he is under contract for 2 years yet...it's more about how much money they want to invest into the ILB postion

I definitely agree with you though. Bishop has solidified himself quite clearly...Hawk is definitely the play caller. Plus a bunch of the other linebackers coming back.

Barnett is just making too much...and doesn't seem to fit in anymore. I was just surprised when Rodgers aid we have guys coming back like Barnett, etc.... (if it indeed was him, I swear it was him ha). Though he could have just been saying it, with really no knowledge of what will actually happen.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you though. Bishop has solidified himself quite clearly...Hawk is definitely the play caller. Plus a bunch of the other linebackers coming back.

Barnett is just making too much...and doesn't seem to fit in anymore. I was just surprised when Rodgers aid we have guys coming back like Barnett, etc.... (if it indeed was him, I swear it was him ha). Though he could have just been saying it, with really no knowledge of what will actually happen.

my guess is that he just was talking about guys that are signed for next year

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen Jenkins.......Unfortunately, I see him leaving as a free-agent. Raji is the starting NT and Pickett is the starting end. In the past few years, the Packers have added Mike Neal, CJ Wilson, Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson through the draft. Justin Harrell is coming back from injury (yes, I know he has done nothing to warrant playing time or a roster spot), Johnny Jolly is coming back from suspension and Howard Green would be much, much cheaper to resign.......I would love Jenkins to be a career Packer, but it just doesn't look that way.
There's only one CJ Wilson.
Harrell is done.
John Jolly has demonstrated that he is not a "Packer-quality person". He won't be back.

I like Jarius Wynn, but he's worthless. He's gone.
CJ Wilson might be the other odd guy out to make room for the return of Mike Neal off IR.

Otherwise, they should keep Jenkins.
Out with Jarius Wynn, back with Mike Neal.

I still worry though because you would have thought they would have signed, or attempted to, Cullen during the year for cap ramifications.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jenkins is worth resigning. Neal is unproven. My thoughts are if Jenkins/Raji/Pickett go down next year we can move people around and adjust, but without Jenkins there is no quality depth. Neal will probably be starting, but he got hurt and has not really played in our system. I like giving Jenkins a 2 or 3 year contract and pay him to keep the veteran leadership we need. The only other FA we need to resign is Crosby.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I "believe" Jolly is a free agent
I don't think so. His contract was "frozen" for last year, so time stood still for him and he remains under contract.
Still, I don't think he's Packer-quality people anymore. I'd love to see him cashed-in for a 3rd round pick, maybe to Cincinnati or Dallas. Dallas needs tons of help on the DL. He lives in Texas.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jolly has a Purple Drank distributorship that occupies most of his time.

Saw an article yesterday where MM mentioned Jenkins in past tense, he was "happy to have coached.." He isn't happy that he can't stay on the field. I still think he's our best defensive end when healthy.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett = not drafted by Ted Thompson
Hawk = drafted high by Ted Thompson

Barnett = Gone

That easy.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins can be franchised. They franchised Pickett last year and he got a deal done.

Harrell will be back and so will Brandon Jackson. Ted Thompson rarely gets rid of high draft picks. Name one please.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Brohm - Second Round pick

this is the first i have thought of this, but does anyone think we will resign B-Jax or let him walk freely? He is a back for screens and pass protection, but what else can he do? The only thing i can say nice about him is he knows our system.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins can be franchised. They franchised Pickett last year and he got a deal done.

Harrell will be back and so will Brandon Jackson. Ted Thompson rarely gets rid of high draft picks. Name one please.

Colledge, 2nd rounder, likely gone. Spitz, 3rd rounder likely gone. Jackson, 2nd rounder, likely is gone. Bigby, undrafted, likely gone. I would consider it a small miracle if Harrell ever plays again. Otherwise, Thompson has kept his high draft picks because they're all good players.

I think TT will keep whomever he feels gives the team the best chance of improving--whether he drafted them; or what round they were drafted. There's no doubt he is committed 100% to the team.

Latest posts