Crockett in Harris out

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we are going to see Crockett take over for Lacy or Starks anytime soon, but he is a nice 3rd option that also may have taken the first team to ever see him play by surprise.
I think he showed some nice running and decision making in there, he may end up being pretty good, but i'm not getting too excited by the performance yet. It was nice, it was needed, but it was a small sample size. Gotta love his energy, seemed to pick everyone else up but even in the small sample size he bobbled the hand off and tripped in the backfield. it wasn't all roses.

I think to go far, we need Eddie to get right ,and Starks backing him up, but if he doesn't, I think last night was proof enough that the staff is more than willing to go with Crockett. That was a very important game division wise with a lot at stake and they put him out there and kept Lacy on the sideline. I think they'd do it again if Lacy isn't where they think he needs to be without hesitation.

Rmac587

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Crockett get more touches. If it wasn't just a flash, then he could turn out to be a steal. I thought he looked very, very quick and explosive. Start with Crockett, sprinkle in some Starks, close it out with Lacey.

D

Deleted member 6794

Crockett provided a great spark vs. the Lions but it's way too early to appoint him the starter. There's no doubt in my mind that a healthy and focused Lacy gives us the best chance to win.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looked pretty good. I like what I saw. Why did Lacy sit so much?
We did not rush very well in the 1st Lion game. Our line could do little to move them off the ball. Lacy is good if he gets thru the first tier but he does not see a hole if there is one. And he just is not quick enough off the ball. Often they get him behind the line which is part of why our 3rd down conversions are so low. If there is an opening to the outside he cannot go east west the way Starks can. If we ever get this passing game going it will open up the running part.

D

Deleted member 6794

Often they get him behind the line which is part of why our 3rd down conversions are so low.

Most running backs are terrible when being contacted behind the LOS. That's mostly on the offensive line though and a healthy Lacy is one of only a few backs capable of making something out of a situation like that.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We did not rush very well in the 1st Lion game. Our line could do little to move them off the ball. Lacy is good if he gets thru the first tier but he does not see a hole if there is one. And he just is not quick enough off the ball. Often they get him behind the line which is part of why our 3rd down conversions are so low. If there is an opening to the outside he cannot go east west the way Starks can. If we ever get this passing game going it will open up the running part.
I think Lacy is 10x's the running back Starks is. He sees the holes better and when he does he hits them better. He sets up his blockers better, he breaks tackles better. I like Starks, but he's not Lacy when he's running well. Lacy can cut and hit a hole and go, he has plenty of burst and very good feet for a guy his size or even smaller, but our line has a habit of allowing a lot of penetration and plays get stopped before they get started and I haven't noticed Starks being any better at it. So he's made the corner a couple times in his career. He also go tackled for a 3-4 yard loss on a 3rd and one too trying to get to the edge. He's not always good.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Lacy is good if he gets thru the first tier but he does not see a hole if there is one.
How does he get through the first tier if he doesn't see a hole if there is one? How did he rush for over 1,000 yards in his first two seasons if he doesn't see a hole? As captainWIMM noted in another thread, how did he run for a combined 205 yards on 39 carries (5.3 avg.) against the Vikings and Lions the previous two weeks? IMO those questions are also pertinent to those who think he's lazy, fat, sloppy, unmotivated, etc.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Crockett fan and hope that he has a productive career. However, there is a reason he was on the PS and not a starter up until last week. I don't think it was due to his practice performance more then it was a personnel situation that had him on the field Thursday. His enthusiasm was a great spark for the offense, but I don't see him replacing Lacy or even Starks anytime soon. Would it be a huge bonus if he turned into a Pro Bowl RB? Heck ya, but I'm going to trust the coaches on their knowledge for talent and not get too excited about Crockett at this point and just hope that Lacy can be the back that we all know he has been and is....because we need him going into January.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were two things that I liked about Crockett:

1) He gained yards against a good defense utilizing a backup offensive line when our other guys couldn't
2) He was pumped. You could see him literally shaking with desire/intensity to run the ball

I am not confident that either of these things will carry forward indefinitely, but I'm always a fan of riding the hot hand while you can.

Members online

Latest posts