covid will trash the 2021 cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I pointed out above, the cap will probably only rise a little, or remain flat for a few seasons; it's not going down this year.

The cap has been set at $198.2 million for the 2020 season, an increase of $10 million over last year. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2021 though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap has been set at $198.2 million for the 2020 season, an increase of $10 million over last year. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2021 though.

Yes, because next year is based on prior year, which wasn't affected by Covid. The article I linked to explains that players and league can modify CBA so that cap remains flat if revenue falls materially by borrowing against future years, when revenue is expected to recover. I should have said season after this one when discussing if cap will fall.

OP
OP
gbgary

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just heard on nfl network that there's lots of discussion about next season's cap and that they may want to make up for next season by taking some money out now. lol. if they do that the Packers, and teams like them that have nearly no cap room, are F'd this year AND next.

H

HardRightEdge

just heard on nfl network that there's lots of discussion about next season's cap and that they may want to make up for next season by taking some money out now. lol. if they do that the Packers, and teams like them that have nearly no cap room, are F'd this year AND next.
It depends on how much. It also depends on whether this is a real idea coming from somebody in power or some kibitzer's imagination.

It's hard to see how it would work if the amount is substantial, and if it is not substantial why bother? The only Packer players with meaningful cap savings if cut are Linsley ($8.5 mil), Bakhtiari ($11.5 mil) and Adams ($9.3 mil). After that it's Jones and Williams at $2.1 mil each. Just eyballing, I don't think the Packers could find $50 mil in cap savings if they cut every player with savings above the rookie minimum.

This would hardly be unique. Where you find cap savings is with stars in the later years of a 2nd. or 3rd. contract. Backloading salary and cap savings into the out years of contracts isn't a Green Bay thing. It's everywhere.

Sounds like a threat to get the NFLPA to take future cap cuts or some other concession. It would make more sense to tally up the lost revenue at the end of the season, players and owners each eat half of the losses, with the players half spread out over future caps over x years, x determined by how big the losses turn out to be.

In any case, regardless of when the cap cuts fall, it would not be a good time to sign or extend somebody to a long term contract at current market values until there is more clarity.

I'm not sure what they could do if regular season games are missed. How do you prorate salaries, if the NFLPA would even go along, when a chunk of one guy's "salary" is essentially in his big signing bonus "advance", paid out and not be clawed back, while another guy might have the same actual salary but without having ever gotten that big advance in the form of the bonus?

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Front offices and coaching staffs around the league are wrong in their evaluation of quarterbacks who have started games in this league a lot of times. I highly doubt they will be able to make a definite decision on Love after preseason snaps only.
Not to mention Rodger's will be staying as long as he is performing well. We just have some time to know if Love will be able to be a Franchise QB. If Arod gets hurt or falls off a cliff; we will have to give Love a shot.

H

HardRightEdge

We just have some time to know if Love will be able to be a Franchise QB.
Nobdy will know that until he gets on the field in the money games, and I'm not talking about garbage time.

NFL Game Pass has a series called "Film Session" where players break down what goes through their minds on the field. The following link, where Deshaun Watson talks Baldinger and Warner through his process, might not work for you, but Game Pass is free through July 31, so all you have to do is register if you are so inclined.

https://gamepass.nfl.com/video/deshaun-watson

While a lot of this relates to RPO triple option (hand off/throw/QB run), the rest is quite relevant to quarterbacking in the NFL regardless of system.

In particular, note the pre-snap thought process which, among other things, alters the progression without any audible required based on defensive alignment. Post snap, note the decision making in split seconds based on defensive movement. Romo has summed this up as a matter of perceiving "spacial relations". And when we talk about route running, knowing the playbook is the bare minimum for getting on the field or even the roster. Note the QB/WR process that goes into Hopkins option routes. When you hear somebody say the WR is the second QB on the field, this is it.

There's a lot playground that goes into this albeit at a sophisticated level at light speed.

This level of sophistication is rarely seen at the college level. Coaches frequently have very young guys with high school and bench experiece who are elevated to starter for one or two years. There's no time to get fancy. The offenses are more highly programmed. Whereas a college QB may be making a decision off one defensive que, in the NFL they are several on every throw.

There's surely a minimum threshold of physical capability, arm strength, etc., to be an NFL QB. Once past that, what distinguishes them is mental capabilities. And no matter how programmed an NFL offense might be with the QB playing so-called "game manager", processing fast and right in choosing among options cannot be worked around. The simpler you make it the easier it is to defend. Accuracy issues are largely a mental problem, on the part of the QB or the receivers or both.

With player turnover through free agency or otherwise, defensive coaching turnover, and several opponents you have not even seen in years, there are not a lot of games where QBs and WRs can say, "I know these guys and what they do", down to the tendencies and capabilities of individual players. That has to be put together in film study which can be translated to split-second decision making on the field.

So, if anybody is wondering why those many first round QBs take years to develop, and frequently bust out entirely to a life as a backup, it is the mental aspect of the game. You are not going to know if the guy has that in this faster and more sophisticated game until you put him on the field in money games. There is no way around it. To one degree or another this is true of every player, obviously most acute with the QB.

If none of this resonates, one should at least take some comfort in Rodgers' introverted tendencies, the same tendencies that result in unanswered texts ;). You'll never find him disecting his thought process for all to see. An astute DC or player might pick up a tell from all this; Watson might find himself being baited at some point as a result.

H

HardRightEdge

Four Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans were recently reported as having tested positive. I don't see the players named except for Zeke Elliott. Before that it was Von Miller and Kareem Jackson in Denver. There are probably more who are untested or not reported.

Reaction score
Four Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans were recently reported as having tested positive. I don't see the players named except for Zeke Elliott. Before that it was Von Miller and Kareem Jackson in Denver. There are probably more who are untested or not reported.
I’ve heard where some in the infection control medical area hypothesis that the ratio of infected to those that are asymptomatic could be as high as a 1:1 ratio. Hot Summer weather can’t come soon enough.

H

HardRightEdge

I’ve heard where some in the infection control medical area hypothesis that the ratio of infected to those that are asymptomatic could be as high as a 1:1 ratio. Hot Summer weather can’t come soon enough.
This isn't the flu. Hot weather isn't doing much for Texas, Florida, et. al., below the Mason Dixon line as cases there accelerate. I won't say why those states are spiking because that would be "political".

Anyway, an asymptomatic carrier can spread the disease which makes them more dangerous than the symptomitic ones who should obviously be kept at a distance.

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder if Rodgers would be open to re adjust his contract.
They did that in December 2019, converting $14 mil in roster bonus to signing bonus, getting $11 mil in cap savings for 2020. There is no more cap savings to be had in Rodgers contract for 2020. For 2021, there are three possibilities, none plausible, involving his $22 mil in salary and roster bonus in 2021:

1) You could restructure up to $21 mil of that across his current contract, pushing a chunk of that $21 mil into his 2022-2023 cap costs, currently $40 mil and $28 mil respectively. The dead cap in 2022 is $17 mil and you'd be piling more on top of that. Love is an exit strategy. I don't see the Packers making that more problematic by piling more dead cap on top.

2) You could add years to his contract and spread a chunk of that $22 mil out over more years. This happens a lot in the NFL with younger players, adding years and cutting current cap cost in the process with that signing bonus. Rodgers is not a young player. Did I say Love is an exit strategy?

3) You ask him to take a pay cut off that $22 mil that's cuttable in 2021. That's kind of an LOL. The Packers have no leverage. His dead cap is $32 mil in 2021. He's uncuttable and untradeable if he declines, so why would he agree? An appropriate Rodgers response would be, "You should have thought about 'win now' before drafting a QB in the first round in 2020. Now you want me to take a pay cut to 'win now'?" Really, there's no point in asking if you expect him to be the starter in 2021, which he absolutely must be with that dead cap number. All you'll do is **** off your franchise QB.

Reaction score
This isn't the flu. Hot weather isn't doing much for Texas, Florida, et. al., below the Mason Dixon line as cases there accelerate. I won't say why those states are spiking because that would be "political".

Anyway, an asymptomatic carrier can spread the disease which makes them more dangerous than the symptomitic ones who should obviously be kept at a distance.
We’ve just got into the 90’s for highs last week here in Texas. Much of this virus information is in a 7-10 lag, so your inference that you’ve concluded a 2020 warm weather study on this virus and made the determination that the spread of this virus is no longer affected by hot, moist air is impossible. If so show me the source that made that 2020 virus testing determination and why it’s different from all the other Corona versions?

This quote was from The NY Times a few weeks ago.
“Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at Yale University who wasn’t affiliated with this study, said that people are more susceptible to infections in other respiratory viruses when the air they breathe is cold or particularly dry”.

I never said we shouldn’t take other precaution as we’ve been directed. But doing that combined in these soon to be warmer, more humid months is absolutely an infection mitigator.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

We’ve just got into the 90’s for highs last week here in Texas. Much of this virus information is in a 7-10 lag, so your inference that you’ve concluded a 2020 warm weather study on this virus and made the determination that the spread of this virus is no longer affected by hot, moist air is impossible. If so show me the source that made that 2020 virus testing determination and why it’s different from all the other Corona versions?

This quote was from The NY Times a few weeks ago.
“Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at Yale University who wasn’t affiliated with this study, said that people are more susceptible to infections in other respiratory viruses when the air they breathe is cold or particularly dry”.

I never said we shouldn’t take other precaution as we’ve been directed. But doing that combined in these soon to be warmer, more humid months is absolutely an infection mitigator.
Iwasaki's comment relates to "other respiratory viruses". So far, an assumption that this disease will behave seasonally like the flu is a hopeful projection, not any scientific conclusion about this virus.

I mean, really, Houston has been hitting highs in the upper 80's and 90's regularly for over a month now, 90's each of the last 16 days. It's been hotter than that in Austin where new mask-wearing requirements for businesses have just been implemented. Look all across the south. Last I checked it's June 19th. and the snow birds are long gone to get out of the heat. I'm not sure what you're expecting--120 degrees for a couple of weeks?

Conversely, New York state's rates are plunging with temps nowhere near approximating the Corona hot spots in the south or Los Angeles. That's the state with the most draconian and detailed social distancing measures, following the CDC phase-in protocals, now having the lowest rates of infection.

While it stands to reason that warmer weather may be a mitigating factor the relevant statistic is the rate of hospitalizations and the rate of hospitalizations is so strongly correlated with behavioral practices, particularly social distancing, as to be the overwhelming factor.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3) You ask him to take a pay cut off that $22 mil that's cuttable in 2021. That's kind of an LOL. The Packers have no leverage. His dead cap is $32 mil in 2021. He's uncuttable and untradeable if he declines, so why would he agree? An appropriate Rodgers response would be, "You should have thought about 'win now' before drafting a QB in the first round in 2020. Now you want me to take a pay cut to 'win now'?" Really, there's no point in asking if you expect him to be the starter in 2021, which he absolutely must be with that dead cap number. All you'll do is **** off your franchise QB.

Don't pay much attention to contracts, but the trade aspect is why I thought he might take a pay cut. If he really wants out, and another team really wants him (and, he wants them), couldn't they work it out such that he takes the cut on this contract to make the dead cap acceptable to the Pack with the understanding from the new team that they'll re-negotiate to make up the difference? Just asking. Hard for me to conceive of millions or tens of to be relatively unimportant, but I also can't conceive of nine-figure contracts in the first place.

Reaction score
Iwasaki's comment relates to "other respiratory viruses". So far, an assumption that this disease will behave seasonally like the flu is a hopeful projection, not any scientific conclusion about this virus.

I mean, really, Houston has been hitting highs in the upper 80's and 90's regularly for over a month now, 90's each of the last 16 days. It's been hotter than that in Austin where new mask-wearing requirements for businesses have just been implemented. Look all across the south. Last I checked it's June 19th. and the snow birds are long gone to get out of the heat. I'm not sure what you're expecting--120 degrees for a couple of weeks?

Conversely, New York state's rates are plunging with temps nowhere near approximating the Corona hot spots in the south or Los Angeles. That's the state with the most draconian and detailed social distancing measures, following the CDC phase-in protocals, now having the lowest rates of infection.

While it stands to reason that warmer weather may be a mitigating factor the relevant statistic is the rate of hospitalizations and the rate of hospitalizations is so strongly correlated with behavioral practices, particularly social distancing, as to be the overwhelming factor.
I never argued social distancing. you’re getting on tangent and I believe it’s because you have zero evidence that contrasts the well known fact that virus generally transfer better in cold, dry conditions. That’s the part you specifically corrected me on and the only evidence you’ve submitted is your personal opinion. While I respect you personally, I still don’t base my knowledge on “feelings”. (Although I fully realize that’s the norm for people today)
I know where I live HRE. Was in Galveston 2 weeks ago and wee not even close to getting hot yet. Our Summer doesn’t start until July and yes, it’ll be 100+ for weeks in a row. I know that’s hard to believe, I was born and raised in WI, but this recent 93 degrees stuff is cool weather for this area so if that’s your argument against historical data don’t work with me. I know better.

btw, if we can’t use respiratory viruses as a comparison for a severe respiratory virus? What do we use to project future instances? This trivial nature kind of bickering over known historical data only tells me that there’s an angle you’re playing. Sorry but I’ve been around the block too many times. Lol

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Don't pay much attention to contracts, but the trade aspect is why I thought he might take a pay cut. If he really wants out, and another team really wants him (and, he wants them), couldn't they work it out such that he takes the cut on this contract to make the dead cap acceptable to the Pack with the understanding from the new team that they'll re-negotiate to make up the difference? Just asking. Hard for me to conceive of millions or tens of to be relatively unimportant, but I also can't conceive of nine-figure contracts in the first place.
Oh, Rodgers would be quite attractive to a trading partner. It's the Packer's side of the equation that is problematic in the signing bonus overhangs which cannot be gotten around.

Here's the breakdown using overthecap's numbers https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/:

Nobody expects a trade now, but the following illustrates the lack of team leverage in getting Rodgers to take a salary cut.

Let's say the Packers traded him right now. He's already been paid the $5.740 mil in roster and workout bonuses. The signing bonus overhang would be charged to the Packers in 2020, the sum total of the amounts shown in that link for 2020 - 2023 in the roster bonus column, $45.908 mil. That would be $51.648 mil charged against the Packers cap in 2020 for Rodgers while being without his services. That's the "dead cap". overthecap shows $51.148 evidently because they are not treating the $500,000 workout bonus as being earned yet but I've read the NFL is paying workout bonuses under the shutdown. Either way, that element amounts to a rounding error.

The team Rodgers would be traded to would have a cash and cap charge in 2020 of only his $1.55 mil salary. For subsequent years take the cap number shown and subtract the signing bonus numbers for those years to get to the new teams future cap liabilities--still quite attractive.

The Packers have zero leverage in requesting a salary cut.

Future prorated signing bonus charges are immutable. They will always be charged against a team's cap sooner or later.

Assuming a trade is excuted before the start of the league year where the roster bonus falls to the new team, the Packers would be charged the unavoidable $31.556 against the 2021 cap for the signing bonus overhangs in 2021-2023. That's the "dead money" amount for 2021. His salary, roster bonus and workout bonus amounts for those three years would still look relatively attractive to a trading partner. With a Post-June 1 designation, the Packers would reduce the cap charge in 2021 to $14.352 mil with the balance falling in 2022, though you can't spend the savings in that deferral until after June 1, so fuggetabot using it in the prime FA signing period.

The interesting thing here is that despite all that dead cap, Rodgers cap cost in 2021 is so high that trading or cutting him, even without the June 1 designation, yields nearly $5 mil in cap savings in 2021.

So, lets say Rodgers gets injured for some period of time in 2020 and Love takes the reigns. And lets say Love performs admirably, well above expectations for a rookie QB, along the lines of Matt Cassel in 2008 subbing for the injured Brady, or Goroppolo's two starts in 2016 for the suspended Brady, or Bridgewater going 5-0 in relief of the injured Brees last year, or just showing the promise of Mayfield in his rookie year, now regressed.

The situation then becomes a more immediate consideration. If you take 2019's 26th. pick (Montez Sweat) and add 5% for the cap bump this year, Love's cap cost for the remaining 3 years on his contract under the rookie salary scale after 2020 looks something like this:

2021: $2.8 mil
2022: $3.3 mil
2023: $3.9 mil

#26 picks are dirt cheap for 4 years. If you want to start Love going forward, a guy you're already paying, you then you get the $5 mil in cap savings in 2021 even without the June 1 designation versus having both QBs on the roster.

While this scenario is highly improbable, it is certainly possible. The sheer cheapness of Love offers a lot of latitude.

Under this scenario, there would surely be a QB controversy with a hue and cry from several quarters to trade Rodgers. Then you'd have to hope you don't get that Mayfield-like regression. Beware the triumph of the uncluttered mind.

Rodgers still looks attractive to trading partners assuming he's still playing at the same level. The dead cap drops to the unavoideable $17 mil, the cap savings jumps to $23 million, and if Love shows well in some money games over the prior two seasons the controvery would be elevated that much more.

That's the year most pundits target for the changeover since Rodgers dead cap drops to $3 mil in Love's 4th. season. That's just a default position with innumerable unknows. Losing seasons or Love playing well in money games could accelerate the process. Or Rodgers win a Super Bowl in 2022 and gets extended Brady-like for a couple of years into his 40's unless of course they low ball him and he moves on to greener pastures.

Takeaways

1) Without a firm grasp of the cap situation, two years out at a minimum, you cannot expect yourself to make a reasonable projection of how cap will be spent. I warned months ago about how what looked like a lot of cap really wasn't, and that 2021 was looking quite problematic. Now 2021's acute cap situation is getting attention when it was there in plain sight from the start even before possible Covid-19 impacts to that cap number. And here we are, spending by opening day the lions share of what looked like a healthy amount of cap once the draftees are all signed, along with players 52 and 53, and the practice squad without acquiring an impact player or extending key 2021 unrestricted FA's being Bakhtiari, Clark or Jones, nor King or Linsley, or even Funchess, Lewis or Ervin. The projected replacements for those guys have little or no snaps under their belt at this time, merely projections, or won't be on the roster until next year's draft. Cutting Linsley now is the usual story for fixing the cap issues. That helps assuming the next guy up is any good, an uncertainty given limited evidence, but it is the tip of the iceberg.

2) As Bruce Ariens stated recently, QBs learn nothing holding a clipboard. He was talking about somebody else's QB, but I've been waiting a long time for somebody with some reputation in the matter of quarterbacking to finally fess up. While good is certainly preferred over bad in the matters of practice and preseason, you do not know what you have until money games against real competition. Until that happens you have no idea how the practice and film study and game planning is distilled down to the split second decision making required against front line compeition. Unlike preseason, there is no feasting upon 2nd. string, 3rd. string and camp bodies of lesser physical abilities who are making mistakes all over the place.

3) When looking at the 2021 cap situation, it should be evident that 2020 was a prime opportunity with the window starting to close in 2021. Wide receiver or not, this draft, particularly the value propositions in these reaches, is particularly puzzling and, dare I say, disturbing.

H

HardRightEdge

I never argued social distancing. you’re getting on tangent and I believe it’s because you have zero evidence that contrasts the well known fact that virus generally transfer better in cold, dry conditions. That’s the part you specifically corrected me on and the only evidence you’ve submitted is your personal opinion.
I responded to your points, despite your protestations to the contrary, and I see no reason to elaborate. If you don't see the overriding factor in controlling contagion has been social distancing, mask wearing, not congregating, etc. while spikes are occuring as we speak throughout the hot weather areas (which have been hot for quite some time now as previously noted) because control mechanisms have been lax or non-existant in those areas, I really can't help you. You really need to have your head in the sand to not see this is not behaving like some run-of-the-mill flu. Those are the facts. I'll refrain from commenting on the political underpinnings of why this is so. That should be obvious anyway.

Now, if you want to make the argument that x number of deaths and the associated health care costs being largely absorbed at the local and state governmental levels in a remediation-lite scenario are acceptable given the offsetting damage-avoidance to economic activity, that's a discussion worth having. But trying to justify that argument by ignoring the facts just does not cut it. That's wishful thinking at best, deceipt at worst.

As for football games, after swapping spit with an infected hook-up or having an infected person let loose with a wet cough right in your face, the next highest risk of contagion is having an infected person yell in your face. Whether in the stands or playing the game, there is a whole lot of that and it cannot be gotten around. This ain't golf or the PGA.

Reaction score
I responded to your points, despite your protestations to the contrary, and I see no reason to elaborate. If you don't see the overriding factor in controlling contagion has been social distancing, mask wearing, not congregating, etc. while spikes are occuring as we speak throughout the hot weather areas (which have been hot for quite some time now as previously noted) because control mechanisms have been lax or non-existant in those areas, I really can't help you. You really need to have your head in the sand to not see this is not behaving like some run-of-the-mill flu. Those are the facts. I'll refrain from commenting on the political underpinnings of why this is so. That should be obvious anyway.

Now, if you want to make the argument that x number of deaths and the associated health care costs being largely absorbed at the local and state governmental levels in a remediation-lite scenario are acceptable given the offsetting damage-avoidance to economic activity, that's a discussion worth having. But trying to justify that argument by ignoring the facts just does not cut it. That's wishful thinking at best, deceipt at worst.

As for football games, after swapping spit with an infected hook-up or having an infected person let loose with a wet cough right in your face, the next highest risk of contagion is having an infected person yell in your face. Whether in the stands or playing the game, there is a whole lot of that and it cannot be gotten around. This ain't golf or the PGA.
I respect that. I also won’t spit in your face if we ever meet. Lol

H

HardRightEdge

Phillies, Blue Jays and Giants have shut down their training facilities, as have the Tampa Bay Lightning, with individuals testing positive or showing symptoms. The Phillies were the most extreme case with 5 players and 3 staff members testing positive. All of these facilities are in Florida. :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't pay much attention to contracts, but the trade aspect is why I thought he might take a pay cut. If he really wants out, and another team really wants him (and, he wants them), couldn't they work it out such that he takes the cut on this contract to make the dead cap acceptable to the Pack with the understanding from the new team that they'll re-negotiate to make up the difference? Just asking.

To summarize HRE's post, there's no way the Packers could circumvent it.

Trading Rodgers would result in the following amount of dead money counting against the team's cap:

2020: $51.648 million
2021: $31.556 million (with the move being made before the third day of the league year)
2022: $17.204 million
2023: $ 2.852 million

H

HardRightEdge

To summarize HRE's post, there's no way the Packers could circumvent it.

Trading Rodgers would result in the following amount of dead money counting against the team's cap:

2020: $51.648 million
2021: $31.556 million (with the move being made before the third day of the league year)
2022: $17.204 million
2023: $ 2.852 million
The key point being you can't get around signing bonus dead cap. You can trade away or renegotiate future salary, roster bonuses, workout bonuses or incentives, but not those signing bonus amounts. Once you pay a guy cash money, which is what a signing bonus happens to be, it's going to count against your cap sooner or later.

I'll summarize my other point.

Scenario 1: If Rodgers and Love are on the roster in 2021, their combined cap costs in round numbers = $36.4 mil (Rodgers) + $2.8 mil (Love estimated) = $39.2 mil.

Scenario 2: If Rodgers is traded after 2020 before his 2021 roster bonus comes due, their combined cap cost = $31.6 mil (Rodgers dead cap) + $2.8 mil (Love estimated) = $34.4 mil, for a $4.8 mil cap savings.

Under what conditions would Scenario 2 make sense? Easy. If the Packer brass commits to Love as the starting QB in 2021. How could that be possible? If Rodgers is injured for an extended period in 2020, Love proves to be a revelation, for instance showing the promise Mayfield showed as rookie, not anything you'd call elite but as a rookie showing considerable upside. That could happen in 2022 instead with $22.6 mil in cap savings.

While turning the page in 2021 is highly improbable, or 2022 a bit less improbable, it is certainly possible. I doubt Love will ever be an above average NFL QB, but stranger things have happened.

It was reported that Belichick wanted to keep Garoppolo but Kraft directed him to trade him before he hit free agency. Belichick couldn't pay both Brady and Garoppolo's second contract; he was ready to turn the page. That might have cost the organization that 2019 ring, or maybe not. On the other hand, Belichick would have had Garoppolo then, now, and x number of years into the future, a guy who has a habit of winning football games, instead of Stidham who has thrown all of 4 NFL passes.

We have a default expectation but with many unknows. What we do know is the Packers traded up and reached for Love with some idea in mind, certainly not etched in stone, that did not include that nonsense about the Wolf way, that you cannot have enough good QBs, the idea that such QBs would have good trade value if it came down to it. Like Hasselbeck, a 6th. rounder who netted 7 slots in the first round and a 3rd. round pick? Or Aaron Brooks, a 4th. rounder who netted a 3rd. round pick?

This is certainly not that. Oh, wait...the QB with trade value is Rodgers! :rolleyes: Trade for him after the 2020 season and you can have his services for 3 years at a grand total of $73 mil with nothing guaranteed!

H

HardRightEdge

Not if there ain’t a police Department! :roflmao:
In that case, I'd report you to the local Community Action Committee which will surely have a vigilante posse to dispense rough justice, kinda like Community Watch with guns or certain PTSD-raddled policemen. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packer brass commits to Love as the starting QB in 2021. How could that be possible? If Rodgers is injured for an extended period in 2020, Love proves to be a revelation, for instance showing the promise Mayfield showed as rookie, not anything you'd call elite but as a rookie showing considerable upside.

There's another way if the Packers front office is extremely confident about Love being a franchise quarterback. They could follow the Chiefs blueprint and move on from Rodgers with Love showing promise in limited action during his rookie campaign as well.

For the record, I wouldn't consider that to be a smart move at all.

Members online

Latest posts