COVID Sit-outs

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Hearing about all the players sitting out due to covid, especially on the Patriots, has got me thinking about who on the Packers might sit out the season. I think Aaron Rodgers could sit out the year and force the pack to play Love as a rookie. If Love does great then Rodgers could be traded, and if he does bad then Rodgers gains some job security to finish out his contract that I'm doubtful he will finish with the Packers.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does this do for contracts? I know players don't get paid if they opt out but does the year they aren't playing get added on the back end or does it get subtracted i.e. does a 3 year deal now become 2 years or realistically a 4 year deal?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've read, If he sat out, the contract ramifications in 2021 would be the same as 2020 so, I don't think they are any more likely to trade Rodgers in 2021 than they are this year given the cap hit. In that scenario, looking at 2022.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does this do for contracts? I know players don't get paid if they opt out but does the year they aren't playing get added on the back end or does it get subtracted i.e. does a 3 year deal now become 2 years or realistically a 4 year deal?

Believe it skips a year. So, if a player is a 1 year contract, that contract is in 2021 not 2020.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I think they have some kind of collective bargain agreement for covin that gives them some type of pay, like Funchess can still collect his $1mil signing bonus for opting out this year

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see Rodgers opting out. Unless he's super salty with the organization, I bet he's annoyed but probably not throw the team under the bus annoyed. I think Rodgers will accept the challenge and try to go for a second ring.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think there's any way Rodgers opts out of this season.

FWIW here are the rules for players doing so:

If a player wishes to opt out, he must provide his club with written notification within seven days of the date that the NFL and NFLPA finalize the agreement that includes the terms of such opt-outs.

To be designated a voluntary opt-out, a player must be under contract or subject to a tender. The player's contract will toll and all provisions of that contract for the tolled year will be applicable the following season; however, he will not receive an accrued season. The player will be eligible for a stipend of $150,000 to be treated as a salary advance against his tolled contract; an undrafted free agent, however, is not eligible for the stipend.

To be designated a higher-risk opt-out, a player must have a diagnosis reflected in their medical records of at least one of the following factors, which are based upon a modified list of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) risk factors list: cancer; chronic kidney disease; COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease); immunocompromised state from solid organ transplant; serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies; sickle cell disease; type 2 diabetes mellitus; asthma; cerebrovascular disease; cystic fibrosis; hypertension or high blood pressure; immunocompromised state from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines; neurologic conditions, such as dementia; liver disease; or pulmonary fibrosis.

It is not mandatory for a "higher risk" player to opt out. A higher-risk opt-out will receive an accrued season toward free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a credited season and is also eligible for a stipend of $350,000, which will not constitute a salary advance.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers has any desire to sit out for any reason.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At Rodgers age, he would be losing a lot of money when he doesnt have that many earning years ahead.

I am surprised that any player would opt out of a season. Unless you have an underlying condition, the danger is minimal. And I would bet very few elite athletes have issues. Deaths by Covid under the age of 40 comprises less than 1% of the death toll and is mostly those with underlying health conditions. And when the death rate is already <2%, I just don't see much risk.

H

HardRightEdge

I think they have some kind of collective bargain agreement for covin that gives them some type of pay, like Funchess can still collect his $1mil signing bonus for opting out this year
It's not that Funchess "can still" collect his signing bonus. He's already collected it; it's money already paid. It has been an immutable fact that once signing bonus cash money moves from the club's bank account to the player's, or committed to in installments, it is booked against the cap on a fixed prorated basis which cannot be undone, not by cutting him or trading him or re-negotiating him or extending him, or anything else if there is anything else.

The Covid-19 provisions leave the proration of signing bonuses against the cap over the term of the existing contract unchanged. I believe the same would be true of a salary advance, money already moved between those bank accounts, charged against the 2020 cap. I think salary advances are uncommon.

After that, the contract terms are pushed forward a year. Funchess was on a one year deal for 2020. Now he's on a one year deal for 2021 with the signing bonus charged against 2020 (that immutable thing), while the 2020 salary goes to 2021. It does appear that his per game roster bonuses for 2020 are lost and not carried over.

It looks like the vast majority of opt out players will get a $150,000 stipend for this year; those with certain pre-existing conditions deemed as high risk will get $350,000. Looking at the list of conditions deemed high-risk, it's hard to see how somebody would be playing football in 2020 with any of them.

The $150,000 stipend will be carved out of Funchess's 2021 salary, reducing the $1 mil contracted to $850,000 in cash money. I'm not seeing anything that says whether the stipends are charged against the 2020 cap, the 2021 cap, or not at all. overthecap and spotract are showing the $1 mil cap charge for 2021. It they are to be believed, then the stipend is charged against 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
906Fan

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I could see a player with a high percentage guaranteed contract making that decision, especially if they recently had a child.

D

Deleted member 6794

Diabetes, hypertension, sickle cell. Aren't there players that have issues with playing at altitude?

True, there have been some NFL players who didn't play in Denver because of it but it's a rare occurrence.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That should definately be taken off the table. No play, no pay. Imagine if we all did that ? They are as protected as possible........

H

HardRightEdge

That should definately be taken off the table. No play, no pay. Imagine if we all did that ? They are as protected as possible........
It is "no play, no pay" except for that that meager $150,000 stipend which is in affect an advance against the 2021 salary if the guy is still playing.

Signing bonuses are cash money already paid. You can't claw it back. You can't reach your hand into somebody else's bank account. There are frequent misunderstandings of the ramifications of signing bonuses.

I was wondering what rabbit they might pull out of a hat to address cancelled games where the league would seek to withhold game checks. How would they deal with the inequites in having one player who just got a big signing bonus with a small first year salary vs. a guy working on a contract where 2020 is heavily weighted to salary, frequently guys on the back end of a contract?

This is no hat and there is no rabbit.

At least in these opt out scenarios the guy with a salary-laden 2020 contract year has that salary carried over to 2021. The guy who got the big signing bonus with a small 2020 salary is incentivized to sit out more than the other guy, all other things being equal.

I

It is "no play, no pay" except for that that meager $150,000 stipend which is in affect an advance against the 2021 salary if the guy is still playing.

Signing bonuses are cash money already paid. You can't claw it back. You can't reach your hand into somebody else's bank account. There are frequent misunderstandings of the ramifications of signing bonuses.

I was wondering what rabbit they might pull out of a hat to address cancelled games where the league would seek to withhold game checks. How would they deal with the inequites in having one player who just got a big signing bonus with a small first year salary vs. a guy working on a contract where 2020 is heavily weighted to salary, frequently guys on the back end of a contract?

This is no hat and there is no rabbit.

At least in these opt out scenarios the guy with a salary-laden 2020 contract year has that salary carried over to 2021. The guy who got the big signing bonus with a small 2020 salary is incentivized to sit out more than the other guy, all other things being equal.

Well I`m sorry but that stinks ! and those poor guys having to struggle on $150,000 ? my heart bleeds for them.

H

HardRightEdge

Well I'm sorry but that stinks !
Perhaps. But few people thought it stunk when the Packers signed those free agents last year with decent signing bonuses to get them in under the cap while backloading the cap hit to future years.

As much as I hate the expression, it is what it is.

It really isn't any different than if you just signed a player to a contact with a big signing bonus and the guy had a career ending injury before year one, week one, or the injury was bad enough that he was never again the guy you paid for. Tough beans. Signing bonus money is out the door, gone, never to return.

I

Perhaps. But few people thought it stunk when the Packers signed those free agents last year with decent signing bonuses to get them in under the cap while backloading the cap hit to future years.

As much as I hate the expression, it is what it is.

It really isn't any different than if you just signed a player to a contact with a big signing bonus and the guy had a career ending injury before year one, week one, or the injury was bad enough that he was never again the guy you paid for. Tough beans. Signing bonus money is out the door, gone, never to return.

Like Martellus Bennett ? I am likely to get made redundant shortly as will 75 other of my workmates, so I`m sorry if I sound a little bit unsympathetic HRE, it`s nothing personal to you, but my tolerance is a little low at the moment. Keep safe ;)

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I hope we do have a season but I have a feeling it would be cut short, I want to watch football, but I don’t want to watch a political football season, hope I typed this right 110 degrees here..

H

HardRightEdge

Like Martellus Bennett ? I am likely to get made redundant shortly as will 75 other of my workmates, so I`m sorry if I sound a little bit unsympathetic HRE, it`s nothing personal to you, but my tolerance is a little low at the moment. Keep safe ;)
Yes, just like Martellus Bennett.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see Rodgers opting out. Unless he's super salty with the organization, I bet he's annoyed but probably not throw the team under the bus annoyed. I think Rodgers will accept the challenge and try to go for a second ring.

Got nothing to do with salty with the organization. Aaron is and has been out for #1 since Day 1. He's not the great guy we all want to believe he is. It appears like it's Favre times 10.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Got nothing to do with salty with the organization. Aaron is and has been out for #1 since Day 1. He's not the great guy we all want to believe he is. It appears like it's Favre times 10.
Disagree. It would be next to impossible to be Favre x 10. Rodgers has been creeping towards Favre territory though the last few years Imo.

Members online

Latest posts