1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Corey Dillion?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, May 17, 2007.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Not sure if we talked about this guy, pretty sure we did, but is he still available?

2. sbp_387

sbp_387 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    no way zero you are reading my mind i was going to post about this guy, he would be a good guy to bring and then we can split the ball between him and BJ, until bj gets his feet wet a year would be good

3. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I have said it a couple of different times.. a one or two year bridge as insurance until the young guys chase him off the team...

If he still wants to play that is... thinking about retirement.

4. Woodson_fan

Woodson_fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought he did retire?

5. MassPackersFan

MassPackersFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A rookie beat him out in NE. I don't see why we want him here with Jackson and Morency.

6. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    because green bay cant have good rookies remember.

but youve heard his name before, so hes guarenteed to be better than what we got.

i dont mind bringin him in at all, but if your worried about Moss stealing playing time from the young guys at WR..... im even more worried about Dillon stealing from the RBs.

If after the first few camps we dont feel safe, sure bring him in... but i think we are gonna be better off without him.

7. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    no i dont want him its going to be Morency and Jackson f@%k Dillion!

8. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    The purpose of mentioning him was not because I feel our rookie sare never good, in fact I've supported quite a few of our rookies.

9. Jakest3r

Jakest3r Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Dillon*

And yes, he would be a great 3rd down back and for insurance. I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

10. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Sadly he retired

11. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Of all the options available to running back Corey Dillon, none is any more appealing right now than benching himself and retiring.

Those close to the 32-year-old Dillon say that, after an offseason of talking with the Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills and without a worthwhile playing-paying situation materializing, the running back now is planning to retire.

After 10 seasons with the New England Patriots and Cincinnati Bengals, after 11,241 rushing yards that made him the league's leading active rusher last season, Dillon is happier running errands than the football.

He now spends his days in Malibu, Calif., shuttling his daughters to school, hitting the golf course, then returning to school to pick up his daughters. It is an arrangement that Dillon, already financially secure, has found more appealing than any that could be offered to him.

Of course, Dillon could change his mind, and has before this offseason. He initially planned to retire at the start of the offseason, decided to explore the opportunities that beckoned, but now is back to where he was in January, ready to call it a career.

A second-round pick out of the University of Washington in 1997, Dillon will be remembered as one of the game's more punishing runners, a player who once set the NFL single-game rushing record with 278 yards against the Denver Broncos.

In 2004, Dillon validated the faith the Patriots showed in him in 2004, when New England traded a second-round draft pick for him. Dillon helped the Patriots win one Super Bowl and helped them come within a few minutes of reaching another.

Dillon hinted at retirement shortly after New England's season ended in Indianapolis, and now, according to those who know him best, it sounds like he's following through on it.

12. Green_Bay_Packers

Ratings:
    +113
    yep i read that on NFL.com

13. Green_Bay_Packers

Ratings:
    +113
    Sadly he has retired he might have been good for the packers

14. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    He officially retired or just said he was going to retire?

15. Green_Bay_Packers

Ratings:
    +113
    he offically retired

16. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    So, I know this is old news, but I just saw on ESPN that he would more then likely come back, if the price was right. They quoted a price of $3 mill./year. They talked about how he probably wouldn't get picked up until preseason when early injuries take place and how he would add a little security to teams relying on young, unproven backs.

Now, I know he's not the greatest, but consider the facts:

-We have the cap space to sign him, at least to a one year deal. He would take some pressure off the un-proven backs and probably teach them a lot.

-Jackson has already been injured. Maybe the majority feel confident that he will last, but I simply do not. I feel like injuries will keep him out 40 - 50% percent of the season . . . UNFORTUNATELY. But I'm definitely hoping for the best.

-Give us a proven back that can at least take a good part of the load off the rest of the guys.

Now, I'm not saying I'm sold on it, but with the recent injury of Jackson, I certainly wouldn't mind a little veteran security.

Thoughts . . once again?

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    If he hasn't kept up on his football shape workouts, he's probably not even in shape to play.
    I think he's done and it would be a waste of money.

18. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Although I don't know if Dillon is the answer, I think we should continue to keep our options open at the RB position. Especially after seeing that Jackson tweaked a knee in one of the recent OTAs.

19. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54

Who's to say he hasn't been keeping in shape? If he's planning on coming back, I'm sure he's been keeping himself in shape. And, what if bringing him in only made the difference of winning two games, and assisting in the others, even if just making it a closer loss? For a team that has the cap space, would that not be worth it? Maybe, or maybe not. But I can't help but think a one year deal wouldn't just be a waste of money on a PROVEN back.

Maybe he isn't the answer. But I feel absolutely confident that if we don't do SOMETHING else by the start of the season, we are going to be doing a lot of bitching about our running game on here throughout the season, UNLESS Jackson stays healthy all season and can share the load. Just doesn't seem realistic to me.

Does anyone know what other options we have / may have??

20. Tileman

Tileman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No thanks, he's on the down side of his career. I believe TT is trying to get the backfield younger, not older.

21. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I think that's why Cheesey said "If" to start his post...he didn't say that he wasn't in shape. God, when does the season start? :jumpflame:

22. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54

Of course he said if, but I was proposing an "if" statement saying what if he HAS been keeping in shape.

And there's no question that T.T. is trying to get the backfield younger. However, the backfield is already about as young as you can get, with a couple rookies and 2-3rd year players. I'm just saying that if Jackson can't contribute most of the season, we need some kind of temporary back up plan, in my opinion.

Given our division and conference, and the chances we have had, missed, and or taken, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to at LEAST make it to the playoffs. However, having a solid running game will be crucial to such and I'm not buying that we do without Jackson, and am skeptical if we do even if he does stay healthy. I just don't see the harm in having a proven back up plan of some sort. After all, T.T. said that he wanted to keep Green, just not at that price. So obviously he's not just concerned about making the back field young.

My main purpose of these posts is to say that I'm worried about the fragile Jackson and think we need a decent proven veteran to help ease these guys into being full-time backs. I don't understand how spending a LITTLE bit of that extra cap space to aid in WINNING ball games is such a bad idea. If we go 7-9 or 8-8 but still have great cap space, will anyone be satisfied? Having the cap space is great and I hope we maintain flexibility. However, I do feel as if we should do a few things with some of the money because, of course, winning ball games is better then having a ton of cap space.

Let us hope the fragile Jackson will perform better then proven vets.

23. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

um his name is vernand morency. even if jackson gets hurt he wont be taking the full load.

i dont know why your equating Jacksons health with our running game failing. Vernand Morency is the starter right now. Jackson likely the backup. maybe sharing the load. and if Jackson is hurt... we have several more guys to plug into the role of sharing backs.

with the zone blocking scheme, its more results with less star power.

you dont have to have a name behind the o-line if its working, and a name is gonna struggle just as much as a rookie if the o-line isnt doing its job.

I AM NOT AT ALL WORRIED ABOUT THE RUNNING BACKS.

your placing your fear in the wrong thing. its all on the o-line.

a good o-line in a well run zone blocking scheme and you can put anyone back there and make it work. me, cheesey and pyle could rack up 1500 yards in a well run zone scheme.

corey dillon would be fine with me, for back up... but its not like hes an insurance policy, if the o-line sucks... Corey dillons old *** is gonna suck right with them.

24. DoddPower

Ratings:
    +54
    I'm well aware of Morency, but I by no means expect him to carry more then 60-70% of the load. I do, however, have high hopes for him. If you read my prior post you will see that I was talking about a BACKUP. A guy to take the pressure of Morency, although I could have stated so more clearly. As far as I know, Jackson was expected to be that guy. I don't think it will be Wynn, and maybe Herron, Pope, or one of the other guys will step up, but I'm skeptical. I'm just saying how can it hurt to have some proven help that isn't going to go out there and get hurt every game??

I do agree with your O-Line statement. However, I view our O-Line as decent, but far from great. You can say what you want, but with just a decent O-Line, having a talented, DURABLE guy in the backfield is not going to hurt at all. What harm is that going to cause? I'm not a fan of uncertainties, of which we have very many. Dillion or not, having some dependability can only help, not hurt us.

25. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Dodd I personally couldn't agree more with the "uncertainties" statement.. however for whatever reason we seem to be content with it... experience seems to be over-rated with the Packers on offense these days in its place is Potential..

"Growth from within" ... Same approach is being used on the Oline... however the Defense has a mixture though.... Hmmm everyone seems to think they will be fairly good if not great... could it be due to experience of mixed with young upcomming players... Naaaaaaa. To me you can grow a young team up with veterans sprinkled in for depth. Not have a team loaded with youth and no experience.