Congrats to the 2nd best coach in Packer history!

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations Mike. We can only dream of what could have been in Green Bay. You have once again proved to the football world that you are one of the best coaches in the league.

While we had to endure Ray Rhodes and Mike Sherman, you put together a Super Bowl team brick by brick. No mistakes, well prepared and attention to detail are your trademarks. Pittsburg will be a very tough task, if they beat you, it won't be because your team was not prepared physically or mentally.

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Holmgren ranks ahead of Curly Lambeau? Curly founded the franchise and brought home six world titles.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showgirl said:
Mike Holmgren ranks ahead of Curly Lambeau? Curly founded the franchise and brought home six world titles.

Don't think he actually said those words......

Holmgren does, of course, deserve high praise for being the first Seattle Coach (ever) to take them to the BIG dance. That alone will set him in the record books, forever. Legally, he has now taken two teams to the Superbowl. Personally, I think 1998 was also a year for the Pack - referees (crooked?)... thought otherwise. At any rate - I like to think of this as Mikey's "fourth" trip headed towards SuperBowl fame. Bill Walsh & Co. did a good job with this guy. Imagine being the guy credited with having a direct contribution to Quarterbacks like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre and now... Matt Hasselbeck. You just can't sneer at a guy with those credentials.

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No disrespect to Holmgren...the title of the post refers to him as the 2nd best coach in Packer history. I just think Lombardi & Lambeau did more for the franchise. If Holmgren had stayed, he may have eventually surpassed them, but my humble opinion still ranks him at #3 among Packer coaches.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
If only he wasn't an *** and left.

He wanted to be Coach/GM, and they said no - take a hike. So he did, and then the very same distinction was given to the great Mike Sherman. Umm...OOOPS!

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still always wonder what the past 7 seasons would have been like had he stayed. I don't fault him for leaving for the reasons he did, but still think it screwed the Packers in the end.

At any rate, as always, I wish Holmgren nothing but the best any week Green Bay isn't on his schedule and that certainly includes 2 weeks from now. On the other hand, I would also love to see Cowher get the SB victory he certainly deserves as well.

Either way it turns out I won't have any complaints other then thinking Holmgren should have stuck it ou in GB a little longer.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He knew he would get the job when Wolf left-GB offered more money-no loyalty-traitor. He may even have 1-2 more SB rings right now if he stayed.

Definitely third best coach. Look at Lombardi's and Lambeau's NFL Championships. No contest.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had always liked Holmgren until the year after he and his team won the SB. That year he acted as if he didn't care about anything. It was when he was so rude to one of the fans, and when they played Denver in the Super bowl, he acted as if he didn't care what was happening. I don't like him, and the only reason I will be cheering for the seahawks is because I do like Hassleback and the hawks are in our division. Otherwise, it would be a Pittsburgh choice for me.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe he didn't care because he was slapped down by Wolf and Harlan....

I think that "nice guy" act that Harlan puts on could be a facade...

You never know how someone is until you do business with them...!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F Holmgren. He cost us two Super Bowls. One against Denver and then the following year when, instead of actually coaching he was warming up a private jet to go sign some lucrative deal with Microsoft.

What has he done the past 5-6 years? Besides going 0-3 against Sherman including 0-1 in the playoffs........oops....sorry to bring facts into the conversation.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It took Holmgren a while but he could have another championship team.

Funny how things worked out. He missed beeing the GB GM by a few years. Now the job does not belong to a coach.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit that I'm still salty, thus biased, for the reasons that DePack stated.

Under MH's guidance, the Packers were the first team to lose to an AFC foe in, 15 (?) years in what was one of the bigger super bowl upsets to date, and as DePack mentioned, there were rumors of him leaving GB even during the Denver SB if I remember correctly.

He did some great things with the Packers, and I congratulate him for taking Seattle to the Super Bowl, but Seattle was supposed to be good enough to make it the last 3 years, and this was the first year he won a playoff game.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man... You guys are a hard bunch.....

There's a different tact to take on this issue with Mike Holmgren of Holmgren Way fame....

While I disagree with his rifling of our Coaching Staff as he left Lambeau for "leftier" (not loftier) pastures - meaning Fritz Shurmur could have stayed put, but didn't; etc.,etc. -- I certainly think the Green Bay Mgmt thinking was off-kilter quite a bit during those days. Some will say that Green Bay was behind the curve by the time Holmgren asked for the dual role of GM/HC - I mean, didn't Andy Reid get his option for such a seat right about the same time frame? And, wasn't Andy Reid a disciple of Mike Holmgren? Certainly Holmgren is gonna want to accomplish the same feat, as one of his protege's... You would, too!

Trouble is - the pundits were right - the attitude of success for dual roles was dying out as a true failure - very, very few HC's could handle the role of GM - facing players at contract time, as well as dictating policy and playing roles on the field - at the same time. Andy Reid is a phenom in how he accomplishes the whole stint... trust me.

Green Bay (I think) was more at fault with the Holmgren issue, than Mikey was for leaving over it. All you have to do is review what happened almost immediately with Mike Sherman. No one has to look any further...

Now, had Holmgren had the patience to wait it out for (possibly) one more year - he may have attained that which he seemed to think he could handle. And, on top of that, Brett Favre would most likely have more than one SuperBowl under his belt, by this time - he also probably could have retired several years ago, as well - I mean, look at it from a re-write of the script... Holmgren stays - Brett gets that 2nd SB - Dad suddenly dies - Brett retires - no more left to accomplish.... especially with Deanna coming down sick.

But - it went differently and in the end - it's taken GB this long to work out a correction of events. In the end, Holmgren proved out that he certainly cannot handle being both the GM & HC - and will most likely never try that act again - even here in GB, they finally got it that the dual roles were impossible without a robot staff to process necessary events in the background.. which Sherman lost just two years ago.. remember that?

I hold no grudge for Mike Holmgen - without him at GB, Favre gets no success using his singular gun-slinger mentality -his INT rates soar as they have in the Sherman Era - and he gets replaced for better options... No streak at Starts - no 3xMVP status... nuthin'.....

The end result is Holmgren will always be held in high regard around the NFL - for the QB's he has brought to the pinnacle of fame - meaning MONTANA, YOUNG, FAVRE and now - HASSELBECK..... very very few HC's have that kind of resume.... with one possible exception.... Mike McCarthy.....

Anyone seeing a corrolation here.......?

You guys need to lighten up.....

I do, still agree with the notion that Holmgren will always be the 2nd best Coach (ever) for the Green Bay Packers. I cannot imagine them changing the name of the SuperBowl Trophy to the Holmgren Award. You?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IPB..

Let me get this right...

You're saying that if not for Holmgren...Brett Favre would have been washed up and had no career....and not headed for the HOF..???

I don't think I'd go that far buddy...

Talent is talent...and the Montana's, Aikman's, Favre's, Young's..etc...would have gotten there one way of the other....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
IPB..

Let me get this right...

You're saying that if not for Holmgren...Brett Favre would have been washed up and had no career....and not headed for the HOF..???

I don't think I'd go that far buddy...

Talent is talent...and the Montana's, Aikman's, Favre's, Young's..etc...would have gotten there one way of the other....

Again - it's a matter of opinion - but remind us what Favre's INT ratio was, back in 1993.
Or, how about the fact that even Mike Holmgren was ready to bench his sorry *** in favor of the backup at the time, in order to save the season.

You cannot begrudge the man - when he obviously has a talent with training and grooming Quarterbacks.

What do we need, an episode of SLIDERS to re-hash what might NOT have been.???

You may not like me - I don't necessarily care - you're not payin' my house payment.
But, the truth is - Holmgen was an essential part of the Bill Walsh machine - which led Joe Montana to a four SuperBowl career. Add to that - the fact that if not for Holmgren, do you really think Steve Young ever gets a win in the Playoffs? I DON'T.. I remember watchin' the guy - He's damn sure no Joe Montana, at all. He barely gets by on the damn TV.

Speaking of Favre with some spock logic - He preferred to fly by the seat of his pants, even in the NFL - which got him traded, almost immediately. You cannot forgo that. Like it or not - that's how it was....

When Favre got to Green Bay - we still had Majik Man in plce - just needing some competent help on the O-Line - and everyone I know states outright, that Majikowski was the more athletic of the two QB's, period..! He just didn't have the same support structure that Favre ended up with - timing is everything, they say. Remember, Favre hated watching film after a game - outright said so, on his own DVD, from the FAVRE book.

I stand by what I said - you cannot avoid it, unless you're drinking somebody's kool-aid, somewhere....

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve Young was one of the most accurate QBs in history. More accurate than Favre or Montana. You're saying that was all Holmgren? :wtf:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Maybe he didn't care because he was slapped down by Wolf and Harlan....

I think that "nice guy" act that Harlan puts on could be a facade...

You never know how someone is until you do business with them...!

Slapped down? Holmgren made Wolf and Harlan look like geniuses by going to Seattle as GM and head coach and failing. How did that work out? If he stayed at Green Bay as head coach (as he is now in Seattle) he wouldn't have wasted 6 years of his life and would probably have a couple more rings .

Bob Harlan and Ron Wolf were right not to make Holmgren the GM. He failed miserably in that role in Seattle.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
oh yeah DePack..

Then why were they so eager to confer the same title upon Mike Sherman.....the guy with less experience who under Holmgren...???

and you know DePack..Mike Sherman is NO Mike Holmgren...

(plus..what do you mean failed miserably? He got the team to the playoffs and now he's in the SB. and this is a good team that's loaded...he had to build from scratch...!!!)

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Holmgren had both titles there was one playoff appearance, one winning season and zero playoff wins in Seattle. It wasn't until Holmgren was stripped of the GM title that the SeaChickens had any success. Seattle is a good team that is loaded and Holmy did make two pretty good moves in trading for Hasselbeck and drafting Alexander and Hutchinson, but it was someone else who oversaw the influx of talent, which was acquired mainly through the draft, into the Seattle organization (though Holmgren did help by having a few losing seasons which turned into high draft picks for the Hawks).

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say Sherman should have been GM. If you can't admit that Holmy failed miserably as the GM ( remember wanting to be GM is why he left Green Bay) then we can end it now. Even Holmgren has admitted that he "Failed miserably". The Seahawks owner certainly did too.....hence the firing!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah..i admit that he failed as GM..

(but he's a damned good coach...better than Sherman--you have to admit..)

and if he stayed in GB..there would be a few more SB trophy's in the case at Lambeau...

(DePack..another poster stated that without Holmgren...Favre would have been a washed up..."never was" at QB....you don't agree with that..do you...what is it with people who attack Favre?)

OP
OP
P

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack - Here you go about Sherman again! Here's a fact for you, how many NFC championship games has Sherman been in as HC? What's his playoff record? Boy these teams in the NFL just lined up to hire the GREAT MIKE SHERMAN..... what does that tell you?

How many HC openings?????????? Could not get one? Mmmmmmmmmmmm

C'mon get over it already, he's gone......................

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to step in for DePack, who's more than capable of defending himself, it's not he who continuously brings up Sherman it's others. DePack, as do I, often responds to some of the comments about Sherman, but he never initiates these discussions.

Members online

Latest posts