Compensatory Threshold Date hits, will TT sign anyone?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boldin is a far superior option than James Jones though.

Depends on how you define "far"...I think he is better without a doubt...but that spread given JJ's AR relationship is smaller with us than if they both were looking to sign elsewhere which was new for both.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like the Boldin idea but if throw money at a slower but good WR...I'd rather just have one with a hoodie flopping around :D

Hey now, don't get me all riled up! You know how I feel about JJ.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
But Captain is right, Boldin today, would be an upgrade over JJ. People always talk about "this guy or that guy" will be available if we need them come Sept./Oct., but given the learning curve of the playbook, as well as getting comfortable with AR and the offense, a guy like JJ comes in pre-ready, a guy like Boldin might take some time to get up to speed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup I'd bet Capt would even agree...now Boldin is the better option....farther you get into the pre-season and than season if both are unsigned JJ makes much more sense for quick plug and play.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup I'd bet Capt would even agree...now Boldin is the better option....farther you get into the pre-season and than season if both are unsigned JJ makes much more sense for quick plug and play.

Not sure how JJ would react to another phone call from TT in Sept. Couldn't blame him if he treated TT like a drunk ex lover calling. "Ohhh, so you been out all night and your date ditched you again and now you want me to come over? That hoodie better be clean and the pockets full of money"

D

Deleted member 6794

Depends on how you define "far"...I think he is better without a doubt...but that spread given JJ's AR relationship is smaller with us than if they both were looking to sign elsewhere which was new for both.

Boldin is a smart receiver capable of running crisp routes who has played in the NFL for a long time. I guess it wouldn´t take him a lot of time to make an impact with the Packers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how JJ would react to another phone call from TT in Sept. Couldn't blame him if he treated TT like a drunk ex lover calling. "Ohhh, so you been out all night and your date ditched you again and now you want me to come over? That hoodie better be clean and the pockets full of money"

TT would say it's clean but sorry Crosby has most of our leftover cash in his pockets.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canty is somewhat interesting only from the perspective that, like Steven Jackson, Thompson expressed interest on more than one occasion. I seem to recall Canty coming in for discussions in each of his last 2 free agent periods.

But he's 34 coming off a torn pectoral that sent him to IR in December, following a calf injury earlier in the season...7 games missed in all. I think this a train that has left the station.

If the Packers sustained some injuries and Canty's medicals were reasonably clean, he might be the kind of guy for in-season pickup if he's still available in a Howard Green-type move.

I knew Canty was long in the tooth, and I share your recollection that during his last two trips through FA that he was someone oft discussed as a solid addition along our DLine, but one of those was for HUGE money with NYG when he was never the dominant pass rush types.

All three of the guys I mentioned weren't going to be singular difference makers- more quality depth roles. I thought that with Babin and Woodley that they have both had pass rush pop in their pasts. Maybe they're situational type guys where they do what they do best in limited roles, like Atlanta managed to milk the last greatness out of John Abraham for a couple of years limited his pitch count.

No loss if we don't get these guys, but one thing I'm always thinking about since we're perennial contenders for youngest team in the league: some veteran experience with championship pedigree never hurts...

Reaction score
Boldin is a far superior option than James Jones though.
JJ has a higher YPC career average, higher TD scored %, etc

JJs 2015 stats
GP REC YDS YPC TD
15 50 890 17.8 8

Boldin 2015 stats

14 69 789 11.4 4

Boldin sure wasn't far superior last year IMO...

D

Deleted member 6794

JJ has a higher YPC career average, higher TD scored %, etc

JJs 2015 stats
GP REC YDS YPC TD
15 50 890 17.8 8

Boldin 2015 stats

14 69 789 11.4 4

Boldin sure wasn't far superior last year IMO...

Don't get me wrong, I like what James Jones has brought to the Packers as well but there's absolutely no reasonable argument to be made to put him on a level with Boldin.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like what James Jones has brought to the Packers as well but there's absolutely no reasonable argument to be made to put him on a level with Boldin.

I could make a better argument that Crosby is a Top 5 kicker :D

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just tossing this out there... could Dwight Freeney be of any use to GB in '16 as situational pass rusher? I know he's old, at 36 and only played spot-duty in '15... but in 11 games (only 397 D-snaps) he had 8 sacks and 3 forced fumbles (granted that 3 sacks were against GB). He played for $970K in '15, so at $1Mil/yr. would only be 30% of Perry's price, or 12% of Pepper's. He's near the end but can still bring the outside heat on occasion. Only drawback would be possibly replacing J. Elliott on the roster, though, which would weaken Special Teams (Elliott played 173 D snaps but 324 on ST).

Sky King

Reaction score
TT looks through the windshield at what's ahead. Talk about Boldin makes for nice offseason filler as we forumites try to fill the gaps. I guess there's no washed-up ILBs for us to talk about right now. Maybe there are (shudder).

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At this stage of the year, I'm not opposed to signing a proven vet. at min. salary, a guy that may improve a position or its depth. Such a signing should also be one that brings more veteran leadership onto the field and into the locker room. Much like TT's draft, I would be looking for solid, more then flash, a good team player, more then distraction. Such signings could be the difference between just making the playoffs VS. winning the SB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just tossing this out there... could Dwight Freeney be of any use to GB in '16 as situational pass rusher? I know he's old, at 36 and only played spot-duty in '15... but in 11 games (only 397 D-snaps) he had 8 sacks and 3 forced fumbles (granted that 3 sacks were against GB). He played for $970K in '15, so at $1Mil/yr. would only be 30% of Perry's price, or 12% of Pepper's. He's near the end but can still bring the outside heat on occasion. Only drawback would be possibly replacing J. Elliott on the roster, though, which would weaken Special Teams (Elliott played 173 D snaps but 324 on ST).

Freeney has been mentioned earlier in this thread as a possible free agent signing. I agree he would offer some pass rush as a situational player.

TT looks through the windshield at what's ahead. Talk about Boldin makes for nice offseason filler as we forumites try to fill the gaps. I guess there's no washed-up ILBs for us to talk about right now. Maybe there are (shudder).

I don't think Thompson will sign any of the players mentioned but this thread is about the possibility of the Packers adding a veteran now that it doesn't affect next year's compensatory picks.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No reasonable argument except for last year's stats and both of them being currently unsigned, right?

FYI, I don't think Jones is Boldin-good either but I'm also not seeing a vast gap between the veteran recievers on their last leg.

D

Deleted member 6794

No reasonable argument except for last year's stats and both of them being currently unsigned, right?

FYI, I don't think Jones is Boldin-good either but I'm also not seeing a vast gap between the veteran recievers on their last leg.

You realize that Boldin had Kaepernick and Gabbert throwing him the ball last season while Jones played with Rodgers, don't you???

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If anyone knows me.....they know I love JJ. But if we could sign Boldin at the right price today and get him up to speed by Sept., I would take him over JJ. I don't expect it to happen, but IMO, Boldin could be that 4th receiving weapon that could help AR light up defenses.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of picking up former all-pro type players, for a situational player. You just need to play them sparingly early on, and save them for when it counts. Theres some Dlinemen out there who could help this way IMO.

Members online

Latest posts