Coming off season moves examined, including free agency

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pete Dougherty at Milwaukee J-S made the argument that the Packers need to draft a wide receiver high next spring. Since it's likely the Packers won't do much in the playoffs if they get there at all, I did some research and came up with personnel priorities for next year.
They likely will be drafting somewhere in the middle of the rounds.
The Packers are $10 million under the salary cap going in.
Sportrac lists 11 Packers UFA's. Out of the group I would not resign Peppers, Lang, Lacy, D. Jones, Barclay, freeing up another $16 million.
I would resign Perry, Cook, Goode, Tretter, Hyde. Maybe Michael depending on how he does.
What the Packers need is some weeding off the roster. They have a whole bunch of duplicates with the WR corps. First one out the door would be Janis. Cobb is intriguing. He's tough and reliable, but has a tendency to make drops and has shown a lack of openess. He is younger than Nelson. It might be time to part ways with Jordy. He's clearly not where he was and is getting old. If you let Jordy go, take the cap hit, you still have Cobb and Montgomery.
It's also time to part with Lacy. Great back when healthy, but that's not often.
Running back needs weeding. The Packers need to flush all the wannabe's out and draft a new one, to compliment Michael. If Michael bombs, maybe two.
Sam Shields is done at corner, Randall is ok but not all- world and Rollins is a nickel or dime back. They need the top cornerback in the draft and take him round one. A guy that can start day one. They also need better backups at safety with Hyde.
They don't need to draft a WR high, possibly lower rounds if a speed burner is available later. Janis is too undependable.
They need another interior offensive lineman, someone that might challenge Taylor. They also need to find the next Mike Daniels in the defensive line, and a player to replace Datone Jones, a bust.
TT hates free agency for the most part, but a veteran linebacker or d-lineman would be nice.
Draft priorities:
1)Corner(the defense hasn't been the same since Shields went down).
2)Running back
3)Linebacker
4)Defensive line
5)Guard
6)Wide receiver(speed burner only)
7)Safety
The Packers need to reshuffle the roster if they wish to contend again and some of the favorites might have to go so the team can move forward.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The amount of people wanting to get rid of Easley our most dependable and reliable receiver who is still having a pretty good year coming off an ACL surgery is mind-boggling

D

Deleted member 6794

Pete Dougherty at Milwaukee J-S made the argument that the Packers need to draft a wide receiver high next spring. Since it's likely the Packers won't do much in the playoffs if they get there at all, I did some research and came up with personnel priorities for next year.
Sportrac lists 11 Packers UFA's. Out of the group I would not resign Peppers, Lang, Lacy, D. Jones, Barclay, freeing up another $16 million.

The salary cap doesn't work that way. The Packers currently have $139.2 million of cap space committed towards 37 players for next season. With the cap expected to raise to $166 million that would result in the team having $26.8 million of cap space. In addition they will be allowed to roll over unused cap space from this season. As of right now that would result in another $10 million of cap space bringing the total to $36.8 million to work with next offseason.

With the Packers still in the hunt for the playoffs it's too early to talk about moves next offseason in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because I like speculating I will give my two cents on this coming offseason.

I would resign Perry, Cook, Goode, Tretter and Lacy (only if it's on a cheat year deal worth no more then 3mil) Maybe Michael depending on how strong he finishes the season.
Wound not retain Peppers, Lang, Hyde, Jones, and Barclay
Cobb and Jordy are not going anywhere. Both will finish out their current contracts before the Packers decided to move away from either one. But Janis will probably not be back with the team next year.
Shields is also more then likely done as well.
I'm not expecting TT to do much in free agency, but that all depends on how the season ends. If he does then I'd imagine he would get a CB or someone on the D line.
Drafting I would expect a CB, RB, OLB, OL, or DL within the first 4 rounds.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs allows Tretter to get the boot.
Bye Micah Hyde,
Bye Barclay.
Bye James Starks
Bye Shields
Bye Datone Jones
Bye Eddie Lacy

Must resign Cook and Michael.
Perry they should resign ...but Fakrell has shown he's going to be ok out at olb. Perry is not a must sign imo.
Bring Peppers back for cheap.
I think they need to restructure CM3 for sure. He's due to make like 16-17 mil next season. He's played like he should get about half of that. They need to either go after Berry or Collins for sure. zero game changers on this defense. Just a bunch of guys. Draft a corner in the first rd and a explosive wr in the second. Draft lb help in the 3rd and 4th. Another Cb in the 5.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone saying that we need this or that 1st round to fix our defense. Isn't understanding the problem! We have like 6 1st Round picks on our Defense. Is 1 more really going to change anything? Maybe, if it's the right 1st rd pick. Which is the main point finding the right 1st round pick based on production not measures or ceiling!!! Just my opinion, Lets beat those seahawks!!

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone saying that we need this or that 1st round to fix our defense. Isn't understanding the problem! We have like 6 1st Round picks on our Defense. Is 1 more really going to change anything? Maybe, if it's the right 1st rd pick. Which is the main point finding the right 1st round pick based on production not measures or ceiling!!! Just my opinion, Lets beat those seahawks!!

Well it's been since like 2009 since Green Bay has had a highly successful first round pick and they have drafted 5 defensive players with the first pick since then, all in the past 5 years. That's a total of 7 first round picks with non of them being highly successful, though Clark is still new so he could get a break here. Now maybe, just maybe, 8th times a charm and they draft a super stud this year! I mean it has to happen sooner or later!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would resign Perry, Cook, Goode, Tretter, Hyde. Maybe Michael depending on how he does.
What the Packers need is some weeding off the roster. They have a whole bunch of duplicates with the WR corps. First one out the door would be Janis. Cobb is intriguing. He's tough and reliable, but has a tendency to make drops and has shown a lack of openess. He is younger than Nelson. It might be time to part ways with Jordy. He's clearly not where he was and is getting old. If you let Jordy go, take the cap hit, you still have Cobb and Montgomery.
It's also time to part with Lacy. Great back when healthy, but that's not often.
Running back needs weeding. The Packers need to flush all the wannabe's out and draft a new one, to compliment Michael. If Michael bombs, maybe two.
Sam Shields is done at corner, Randall is ok but not all- world and Rollins is a nickel or dime back. They need the top cornerback in the draft and take him round one. A guy that can start day one. They also need better backups at safety with Hyde.
They don't need to draft a WR high, possibly lower rounds if a speed burner is available later. Janis is too undependable.
They need another interior offensive lineman, someone that might challenge Taylor. They also need to find the next Mike Daniels in the defensive line, and a player to replace Datone Jones, a bust.
TT hates free agency for the most part, but a veteran linebacker or d-lineman would be nice.
Draft priorities:
1)Corner(the defense hasn't been the same since Shields went down).
2)Running back
3)Linebacker
4)Defensive line
5)Guard
6)Wide receiver(speed burner only)
7)Safety
The Packers need to reshuffle the roster if they wish to contend again and some of the favorites might have to go so the team can move forward.
Peppers, Jones, Lang, Lacy and Barclay aren't under contract for 2017 and therefore don't count against the cap. All of them have contracts expiring at the end of this season and will become free agents. Same as the other 6 guys you mentioned that you'd like to see re-signed. Overthecap has specific numbers which Capn sited. I agree with your premise that some re-shuffling needs to be done. Pretty much like every year. You can count on seeing at least 20% turnover from this year's 53. That's sop here. Could be larger percentage this off-season. Lots of expiring contracts this year.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts