Colts at Packers.

Raymond

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to make a guess.....McCarthy was hoping for an easy win and being able to give Cobb the day off to rest. Down 24-10 at halftime, reality set in, for the Packers to have a chance at winning, Cobb would have to play.
Thank you for your reply. I became a Packer Backer way back before there was even color television, 1953. My favorite color was green and as I passed through the living room I heard "Green Bay Packers at Chicago Bears" from the television set. Been faithful through the good and terrible years. Since you were so kind and responded to me perhaps you can inform me further. I have noticed a pattern lately of McCarthy calling for a pass on third and less than three yards. Not a short pass or comeback pass since Aaron has but a second or so before the defense is upon him but a pass where the receivers are on much farther routes that take too long to develop. Most teams pressure the receivers right from the start of the routes. My question = So to me it does not matter as far as how much distance the routes must cover so why longer passes that mostly fail? Thank you for your time and input. I so desperately want to see the Packers shine once again with at least consistency.

D

Deleted member 6794

My question = So to me it does not matter as far as how much distance the routes must cover so why longer passes that mostly fail?

A lot of Packers fan are questioning that approach and would like the team to rely on high percentage throws in those situations.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My question = So to me it does not matter as far as how much distance the routes must cover so why longer passes that mostly fail?

Guessing you are asking why the Packers are attempting to gain more yards then they actually need on 3rd down? This isn't always the intent of the play or can its failure necessarily be blamed on MM's play calling. While, the goal should always be to pick up the necessary yards for a first down and continue the drive, the ability to do so might not be an option for AR on any give play and he is forced to throw to another receiver. All that being said, there are many of us that would prefer AR finding a high percentage shorter range target, if that is an option. Too often it feels like he abandons the play and goes for broke.

Raymond

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should only think about playing Hundley in a blowout late in the game.
In so many words that was my point. But also no playing time means lack of being ready to go in when asked. A 'catch 22' if there ever was one to be sure but a point to think about anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

But also no playing time means lack of being ready to go in when asked.

While that's true I believe the Packers season is most likely lost if Rodgers is sidelined for an extended period anyway.

Raymond

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guessing you are asking why the Packers are attempting to gain more yards then they actually need on 3rd down? This isn't always the intent of the play or can its failure necessarily be blamed on MM's play calling. While, the goal should always be to pick up the necessary yards for a first down and continue the drive, the ability to do so might not be an option for AR on any give play and he is forced to throw to another receiver. All that being said, there are many of us that would prefer AR finding a high percentage shorter range target, if that is an option. Too often it feels like he abandons the play and goes for broke.
Thank you Captain and Packerbrat. I agree, I look closely when the ball is hiked and the receivers disappear out of camera view and past the first down markers. If it is a broken or different play rather than just the needed yardage it seems to happen way to often. Oh well, it is what it is. What do I know, that is why I am sitting here and hoping instead of coaching the team. Did either of you continue playing football when you became an adult? I was one of the dumb ones that showed up on Saturdays and played tackle football with a bunch of other idiots in a grassy park. Wow was I bruised and sore every Monday at work. At age thirty three my wife finally showed the error of my ways so I quit going.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Game Plan and scheme, MM went away from the more traditional WCO type offense that was effective against Atlanta and went back to the his baby, the spread iso run n shoot parking lot style of offense that hasn't worked since '14 with everyone running down field on half the snaps.

Stud: Jordy Nelson

Reaction score
Too many downs Colts blanketed the secondary and this forced Aaron into running himself. Another time at 3rd and 6 and we throw 40 yards into tight coverage? This speaks to me that we are desperately missing a move the chains kinda TE or another bigger athletic WR that can win the jump ball.
Also, even when we had Lacy and Starks healthy, we refuse to throw 3-5 yard dump offs to our RB, which worked eloquently a few years ago (remember the year Lacy worked on his receiving)
We've replaced these with screen passes 3-5 yards behind the LOS and many of those with no blocker? This is the equivalent to a punt returner who runs sideways and backwards.. I'd rather have a guy like Davis dance forward for 8 yards (which hes good at btw) than run 30 yards sideways and lose -5.
Let me finish by saying.. Our play calling sucks pretty bad if little ol' ME can see what's NOT working week to week, but we keep on running the same play for
-negative yards.
Not having a dedicated quality RB is going to be our demise. Especially if our playcaller purposely makes him 1 dimensional and we never implement an option to shuffle pass or short pass
Where is Darren Sproles when you need him!

Raymond

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of comments seem to follow a pattern here. As Vince Lombardi put it so well many years ago seems to resonate from a lot of you like thinkers = "What the he%# is going on out there?". Of course a lot of the players were different when the Packers would go down the field for touchdowns against tough teams. I feel bad wondering how the Packer team is going to mess up this down or that. I see odd line formations on defense. Then after the ball is hiked the pass defenders back peddle for many yards instead of bump and rum coverage. On offense the opponents are all over the receivers from the snap of the ball. Timing to me is a large part of practiced pass plays. Why do the defensive backs for the Packers look like they think the opposing teams receivers have the plague and stay away from them? Does this happen every play? No. But most of the plays yes. Promises from Mike that the missed tackle problem will be addressed shows little improvement except for individual players making amazingly good defensive plays. Sadly this happens only once in a while. Sure the plays are complex but too many times some players on defense and offense are being told to move somewhere else before the ball is hiked as if they are confused. Plus where did the hurry-up offense go? I am so confused as I wonder if I am watching the Green Bay Packers or a brand new expansion team. Once again, fellows and ladies, what the he%# is going on out there? I wonder before putting on my Packer jersey before watching each game if the Packers will field a team that shows they want to win or a team that looks like they just do not care. I know the team will not be able to win game after game but at least look good while trying to win.

Reaction score
How is it that the Seattle Seahawks can afford a TE like Jimmy Graham!?!
And We can't even afford a 3 million dollar TE FA that can't stay on the field.
Some of the best decisions we have made have been high dollar FA signings.
Aka Woodson, Reggie White, Peppers, etc. we need to go out and find a stellar TE, RB or CB for heavens sakes we can't continue wishing this problem away.
TT, Let's gamble for once and not let more seasons slip away.
I'm also ready to explore new alternatives for a HC. IMO, MM has become stagnate

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

This speaks to me that we are desperately missing a move the chains kinda TE or another bigger athletic WR that can win the jump ball.
Also, even when we had Lacy and Starks healthy, we refuse to throw 3-5 yard dump offs to our RB, which worked eloquently a few years ago (remember the year Lacy worked on his receiving)

The Packers proved to be capable of successfully running a West Coast offense with the current talent over 2 1/2 games. It's inexcuseable the team decided to change the scheme to something that hasn't worked for more than a year vs. the Colts.

I see odd line formations on defense. Then after the ball is hiked the pass defenders back peddle for many yards instead of bump and rum coverage. On offense the opponents are all over the receivers from the snap of the ball. Timing to me is a large part of practiced pass plays. Why do the defensive backs for the Packers look like they think the opposing teams receivers have the plague and stay away from them? Does this happen every play? No. But most of the plays yes.

I wonder if receivers not having to deal with press coverage in practice messes up the timing during games and is part of the reason for the Packers passing game struggling.

Raymond

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers proved to be capable of successfully running a West Coast offense with the current talent over 2 1/2 games. It's inexcuseable the team decided to change the scheme to something that hasn't worked for more than a year vs. the Colts.

I wonder if receivers not having to deal with press coverage in practice messes up the timing during games and is part of the reason for the Packers passing game struggling.
Lets see . . . how hard is it for opposing team defensive game planners to review game films and see that the Packer offensive line tackles fall backward at the snap of the ball saving their pass rushers a lot of effort and time getting back to where Aaron is standing? On defense just run forward and push the tackles more which is not hard to do since they are not standing firm and dug-in to give Aaron more time in the pocket. Then press the Packer receivers at the line so there is no timing and therefore making it easy to defend against the pass. Your comment about the Packers not preparing for this happening is correct. It is also easy to plan an offensive attack against the Packers since the same game films show the same thing game after game, pass defenders staying off receivers. The Packer coaches also do not seem to learn as the game goes on. A kickoff return for a touchdown does happen some times like in the Colt game. If it worked well the first time lets try it again which happened and again a runback from right to left had the Packer coverage team repeating the "run to where the ball landed" with players not defending the side of the field where they were assigned leaving a four blocker lead for the return man free room to run for over sixty yards. No excuse for the Packers playing so dumbly. When the Packers show desire to win the entire team functions well, when they seem to not try the entire team falls apart. Is it truly time to change the coaching staff? I wonder if hiring an offensive play caller could have worked in time? It did not seem to work from what I saw but is there a much deeper problem at the root? If by some chance the team does turn around than the system in Green Bay works, but what if things continue as they are? Look what happened to the Yankees in baseball when the owner passed the baton to his children. There are teams that did better in sports when changes occurred from the top on down. I just do not know myself what the Packers main problem is. One thing for sure the team cannot continue doing the same thing game after game, year after year. Too predictable and easy to plan against.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lmao

“After really reviewing the video, I actually thought the energy was pretty good,” McCarthy said Monday.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...-energy-in-loss-to-colts-not-so-bad-after-all

LOL...read that too. I think MM all of a sudden realized that by sticking with the original idea that the energy level of the team was low and contributed to the loss, would lay more blame on him and the other coaches then saying what he has changed it to: "“I just think the attention to detail and the sharpness, particularly in the adverse moments of the game, we were not quite where we needed to be."

D

Deleted member 6794

Is it truly time to change the coaching staff? I wonder if hiring an offensive play caller could have worked in time? It did not seem to work from what I saw but is there a much deeper problem at the root? If by some chance the team does turn around than the system in Green Bay works, but what if things continue as they are?

There's no doubt in my mind that if the Packers continue to struggle for the rest of the season some major changes need to be made. That might include the general manager and/or head coach as well.

Raymond

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind that if the Packers continue to struggle for the rest of the season some major changes need to be made. That might include the general manager and/or head coach as well.
That was my underlying meaning. But jumping to conclusions has proven me wrong in past years of watching the Packers lose more than win. The old saying "Watch what you wish for." sometimes is a very true warning. I imagine you, and others, are aware of what happened when the team changed head coaches and finally got a reluctant Bart Starr to take the job running a team that was in shambles. What a degrading situation for such a great Packer star. It broke my heart to watch what was happening to such an honorable man and gentleman. I remember reading about Mister Starr dropping his championship rings on a table, if I remember correctly, to urge the team players to give their best to the fans of the team and for themselves. It did not help even if the players did do their best. I felt so sorry for the proud man and his family. But . . . . perhaps a losing season will finally get the team better drafting positions in the upcoming draft. Proud of the citizens of Green Bay for the way they proved doubting players across the nation wrong when African Americans joined the team. Reggie White was quite the spokes person for the Packers and Green Bay. Go-Pack-Go ! ! !

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That was my underlying meaning. But jumping to conclusions has proven me wrong in past years of watching the Packers lose more than win. The old saying "Watch what you wish for." sometimes is a very true warning. I imagine you, and others, are aware of what happened when the team changed head coaches and finally got a reluctant Bart Starr to take the job running a team that was in shambles. What a degrading situation for such a great Packer star. It broke my heart to watch what was happening to such an honorable man and gentleman. I remember reading about Mister Starr dropping his championship rings on a table, if I remember correctly, to urge the team players to give their best to the fans of the team and for themselves. It did not help even if the players did do their best. I felt so sorry for the proud man and his family. But . . . . perhaps a losing season will finally get the team better drafting positions in the upcoming draft. Proud of the citizens of Green Bay for the way they proved doubting players across the nation wrong when African Americans joined the team. Reggie White was quite the spokes person for the Packers and Green Bay. Go-Pack-Go ! ! !

From a players standpoint, I don't see this team as being in shambles and in no way in rebuild mode like the team Starr inherited. We actually have some pretty decent players and a solid core team. Which is why I think many of us are so frustrated. Can we use a few more quality starters? Sure. If there is a change made after this season, it will be to redirect a pretty talented group as well as possibly take a different direction then the one TT and MM have taken the Packers.

Raymond

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a players standpoint, I don't see this team as being in shambles and in no way in rebuild mode like the team Starr inherited. We actually have some pretty decent players and a solid core team. Which is why I think many of us are so frustrated. Can we use a few more quality starters? Sure. If there is a change made after this season, it will be to redirect a pretty talented group as well as possibly take a different direction then the one TT and MM have taken the Packers.
Sorry you misunderstood my post. I was not comparing the present team players to the old days of perhaps scoring once in a game. My post was directed to the other parts of the team and not the players themselves.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no guarantee an overhaul in the front office or coaching staff would result in the Packers improving and in the long run winning another Super Bowl with Rodgers as their starting quarterback. If the Packers miss the playoffs this season I would like to see some change though because in that case I wouldn't feel comfortable about the current staff being able to provide a spark anymore.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no guarantee an overhaul in the front office or coaching staff would result in the Packers improving and in the long run winning another Super Bowl with Rodgers as their starting quarterback. If the Packers miss the playoffs this season I would like to see some change though because in that case I wouldn't feel comfortable about the current staff being able to provide a spark anymore.

This is the part I struggle with, things can go South (worse) just as easy as they can go North (better). While its easy to criticize and bash TT and MM for the way things have been going in GB lately and eventually watch them lose their jobs because of it, people need to stop assuming that new management will be better and actually could be worse. Sometimes I feel like a spoiled fan, who just isn't happy unless the Packers win every game and ultimately the S.B. But the reality is, they won't win every game and Super Bowls are not as easy to win as some think they are. I look at what the Packers have done under TT and MM's direction and for the most part, its pretty damn good to be a Packer fan. The Packers are a lot closer to being an elite team then they are at being the Cleveland Browns. But then I look at what I think they could have done and what they are currently doing with the roster they have and I want more, so I am really torn. What has me leaning more towards a change right now is the apparent dysfunction across the organization (including the players) from game to game. This is a team with talent and that talent seems like its being squandered away due to management.

While change can sometimes be good, I think we all need to accept the idea that it doesn't guarantee success.