Colorful Brett

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm

The above link has an article with a mention of Brett going to the booth. I believe he would be very good there if they let him be himself, much like Don Meredith. But I can't see Brett doing that for another 2 or 3 years barring injury. And only then if the money is too good to pass up. Otherwise I think he will spend his time with his family, only coming to special Packer functions.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre might be a good announcer, but somehow I don't think he would want to hang around the sport when he's not playing. That would be hard to take for a guy who has said many times that he doesn't want to continue playing when his skills decline. The role of second fiddle, or hanger-on, doesn't suit him.

I hate to see Monday Night Football going to cable. For as long as I can remember, MNF has taken some of the sting out of Mondays for four months of the year, whether I've been working or at school. And I'm not going to get expanded cable just for MNF, especially if those ESPN dopes are calling the game. I will get the NBC game, which is some compensation, but usually I've overdosed on football by the time Sunday night rolls around.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has already said that he would like to go into high school coaching after he retires. I saw it on one of those specials about him within the last couple years.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Brett has already said that he would like to go into high school coaching after he retires. I saw it on one of those specials about him within the last couple years.

I remember that as well. I'm not sure if he'd do announcing, but I almost hope he does if it will help keep Deion Sanders out of the booth or if he could replace Michael Irvin. I'd much rather listen to Favre than those guys :D

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett said he would like to do high school coaching. I don't think you will see him in the broadcasting booth or in any capacity in Pro Football.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't picture Brett in the booth. I'm one of his biggest fans but does anyone remember..."I'm here to play the dolphins you *******"? Didn't exactly roll right off the tongue!

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I can't picture Brett in the booth.

I agree with you, DP. Brett's an intelligent man, but does not possess the broadcaster's qualities. It wouldn't be a good move for any station.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett's too nice to be in the booth. I color guy has to be critical.

This is years away. He makes over 70 grand a day during the season. Deanna will keep him playing for the money and the records even if he is ambivalent.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not every player or coach is suited for the booth. Remember how bad O.J. and Joe Nameth were? How about Jerry Glanville?

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Not every player or coach is suited for the booth. Remember how bad O.J. and Joe Nameth were? How about Jerry Glanville?

Albeit, not football, my favorite was Magic Johnson.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<offtopic post>
Philtration, Miskito and any other Chicago area residents, have you heard of a law firm named "Chapman and Cutler"?
</offtopic post>

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
<offtopic post>
Philtration, Miskito and any other Chicago area residents, have you heard of a law firm named "Chapman and Cutler"?
</offtopic post>

Can't say that I have, Ryan.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondering if you have ever heard of their reputation, I guess a lady my mom works with in WI, her husband is a partner there. They are supposedly pretty huge, HQ'd in Chicago with regional offices. Nothing big.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how bad the network wants him. They can throw some pretty big money around if they want somebody bad enough. And they'll also arrange schedules, use private jets, etc. to make it as convient as possible. And that window will only be open a short time. Brett and Deanna may say something to the effect of " hey it's easy big money and we can do some good things for our families and other people with it". Just a thought.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito said:
DePack said:
I can't picture Brett in the booth.

I agree with you, DP. Brett's an intelligent man, but does not possess the broadcaster's qualities....

You might be right. I think Brett is intelligent and has some great stories to tell, but sometimes it's how you tell the story that counts. Brett doesn't have that booming TV voice like some of the others. Brett isn't bashful, but he's a little softspoken at times, kind of like Montana who wasn't really a good fit on the studio either.

But I wouldn't count Brett out of it either if he puts his mind to it. I think Bill Walton is terrible in announcing basketball, and he's a guy who use to have a speech impediment and stutter and stammer all the time before working on correcting it. Now if Walton would just work on improving his knowledge..., :D

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just watching "something about Mary", Brett should have got a best supporting nomination for just carrying Warren around! I think he'd be fine just being himself. He did a fine job in the Right Guard commercial! " I've passed longer than that".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts