Collins has pretty much locked her down...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety Flies Around The Field
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rookie Nick Collins ended his first set of two-a-days on a high note.

"He had a strong day," defensive coordinator Jim Bates said. "He seemed to be everywhere. He's starting to get the fits well, and he's starting to show his range. He's already shown his hitting ability."

While in man coverage, the safety broke on the ball as Driver ran a crossing route during 9-on-7 drills. Later in the morning practice, he wrestled away a ball from Driver in the end zone.

"Nick has put some back-to-back practices together and done a good job," head coach Mike Sherman said.

Along with his playmaking ability, Collins has displayed his toughness. He continued to practice Wednesday despite tweaking his hamstring. On Thursday he wore a neoprene sleeve on his leg.

"I don't like to miss practice," he said. "I know I've got to learn a lot. So I try to be out there as much as possible."

The Packers have good depth at safety with veterans Mark Roman and Earl Little and rookies Collins and Marviel Underwood. After the Bills game, Coach Sherman and his staff plan to determine whether Collins will start, but he seems like a good bet to do so.

"I'm pretty sure 36 has already got it on lock down," Little said.

With Mark Roman (hamstring) not practicing, Collins teamed with safety Earl Little on the first-string defense. Having a new partner did not fluster the rookie or hinder their communication.

"I'm comfortable with everybody," he said. "Whoever's out there on the field I'm comfortable with. It doesn't matter."

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope this kid can play because there aren't too many teams who would have taken him this high. I'm in the kids corner though. I like to see that number on the field.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the national media ripped the Packers for this pick after the draft. I sure hope Collins proves them wrong. If Collins does pan out, it would really make me feel good about TT's ability to draft good players for us in the years to come.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The National media ripped the pick because they didn't have book on him, Baltimore did (and it is hard to argue that they don't know defensive talent) and they called to congratulate GB on the pick because they planned to take him in that round and had him ranked the best player on the board when GB picked him.

Sports writers are not experts! They are entertainers.

lonewolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard that several teams actually had Collins rated in the 2-3 round area, and that one of them actually called the Packers to congratulate them on the choice. And Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, also felt Collins was a good pick. The only downsides on Collins were he came from a small school (anybody remember Peanuts Tillman?), and he had a WUnderlich score of 14. Neither of those things appear to have hindered his progress in this camp I just hope he's not Marques Anderson all over again...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this kid. He's all over the field. He'll make some mistakes, but he's also going to make some plays, which, IMO, is much better than having a guy back there who is going to make no mistakes and no plays.

It's just weird to me to see a guy who's not LeRoy in #36 though.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just have a feeling that ol' LeRoy, my favorite player from that era, will be taking this #36 under his wing and providing a little input where it might be beneficial.

I know he was a little miffed to see his number awarded to someone, and given his status as a heralded/legendary Packer, that is somewhat understandable. But I have to believe that he wants to see that number remain untarnished, and that he can see some of himself in this kid....someone who overcame some odds to be where he is at.

I just have a great feeling about him. And as anyone who has seen him live can attest....the kid has more than ample tools to get the job done and, most importantly, he is grasping this defense quickly.

Long live the stellar reputation of #36 in the Packers' secondary!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I just have a feeling that ol' LeRoy, my favorite player from that era, will be taking this #36 under his wing and providing a little input where it might be beneficial.

I know he was a little miffed to see his number awarded to someone, and given his status as a heralded/legendary Packer, that is somewhat understandable. But I have to believe that he wants to see that number remain untarnished, and that he can see some of himself in this kid....someone who overcame some odds to be where he is at.

I just have a great feeling about him. And as anyone who has seen him live can attest....the kid has more than ample tools to get the job done and, most importantly, he is grasping this defense quickly.

Long live the stellar reputation of #36 in the Packers' secondary!

LeRoy has already said as much!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent!!

I am so glad that LeRoy has remained a part of the organization. I hope someday that he receives the recognition he deserves as THE greatest safety of the 1990's (and one of the better ones in league history) and he gets into the HOF.... and also gets his number retired when he is enshrined in the Packers' HOF.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Chamuko said:
See this kid has the tools he will be a good safety this year much better than Sharper last year !!!!! :twisted:
I think there are guys on this forum who could play better than Sharper did last year!

Ya know funny you said that. When Sharper wiffed that tackle in the playoff game I was thinking sucklepoohsniz i would have alteast been a speed bump for the runner, dang it get in the way!!

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Safety Flies Around The Field
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rookie Nick Collins ended his first set of two-a-days on a high note.

"He had a strong day," defensive coordinator Jim Bates said. "He seemed to be everywhere. He's starting to get the fits well, and he's starting to show his range. He's already shown his hitting ability."

While in man coverage, the safety broke on the ball as Driver ran a crossing route during 9-on-7 drills. Later in the morning practice, he wrestled away a ball from Driver in the end zone.

"Nick has put some back-to-back practices together and done a good job," head coach Mike Sherman said.

Along with his playmaking ability, Collins has displayed his toughness. He continued to practice Wednesday despite tweaking his hamstring. On Thursday he wore a neoprene sleeve on his leg.

"I don't like to miss practice," he said. "I know I've got to learn a lot. So I try to be out there as much as possible."

The Packers have good depth at safety with veterans Mark Roman and Earl Little and rookies Collins and Marviel Underwood. After the Bills game, Coach Sherman and his staff plan to determine whether Collins will start, but he seems like a good bet to do so.

"I'm pretty sure 36 has already got it on lock down," Little said.

With Mark Roman (hamstring) not practicing, Collins teamed with safety Earl Little on the first-string defense. Having a new partner did not fluster the rookie or hinder their communication.

"I'm comfortable with everybody," he said. "Whoever's out there on the field I'm comfortable with. It doesn't matter."

Im glad to see this. He seems to not only be a pretty good player but also a classy person!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's great to see this kid flying around the field, making plays, putting the hit on receivers. Kind of reminds me of Butler only with more speed.

Kind of sad to think that at this time 4-years from now he'll have Rosenhaus as his agent, will be holding out for a new contract with $30 million signing bonus and we'll all be hating his guts. :)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now he is going to make some rookie mistakes along the way. Be supportive then.

My hope is he will be like Willie Buchannon our starting rookie corner in 1972(ask your parents!). Teams tried to pick on the rookie and he played well and got a lot of interceptions. He was hardly thrown against the following year and # of interceptions went down.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins was the guest on Burke Griffin's show on Channel 5 last Saturday night. He's kind of a slow talker, seems very shy, and looks every bit the wide-eyed rookie off the field. But he doesn't look like a rookie ON the field. He seems like one of those guys who just loves to play football, and Green Bay is the perfect place for him to begin his career--and hopefully to end it too.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Now he is going to make some rookie mistakes along the way. Be supportive then.

Good point. I don't mind mistakes as long as the effort is there, the player owns up to his mistakes, and does his best to learn from them. I hope to see gradual improvement too as the season progresses. Growing pains will be part of the learning process though.

Buckley drove me nuts because he would never admit his mistakes. It was always someone elses fault. Carroll keeps making the same mistakes which I'm having a hard time understanding. Hopefully he cuts down on those mistakes his 2nd year.

Members online

Latest posts