Colledge, Spitz, Moll told not to be content

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay - When his three promising rookies checked out of Lambeau Field for the off-season this week, Green Bay Packers offensive line coach Joe Philbin had a message for them that they probably weren't expecting to hear.

Be prepared for a fight for your job, Philbin told them.

As much progress as Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll made during their first season in the National Football League, starting a combined 38 games, the clock starts ticking on next year in a couple of weeks. If they think they're guaranteed of anything, Philbin said, they're mistaken.

"They're going to need a little time away; they've been in this building a lot the last 5½ months," Philbin said. "I think they'll need a little time to catch their breath.

"But the big thing we stress with these guys is there is going to be a new competition; it's not quite like college football. Even though as nice a job as they did, and I impressed upon them today, when you come back March 20, understand there's going to be a different environment."

Philbin's point was that no one can predict the future and if any of the three doesn't approach his off-season conditioning program that way, he's going to leave himself vulnerable for being replaced. They'll probably be staring new competition in the face before the off-season ends.

"Who knows? We may draft a guy in the first round, we may not draft anybody," Philbin said. "They don't know that, I don't know that. But one thing you do know is there is going to be new people sitting in that room that are hungry for jobs."

The Packers used three of their 12 draft picks last year to draft the linemen: Colledge in the second round, Spitz in the third and Moll in the fifth.

All three players received invaluable experience serving as starters and have the potential to be the foundation of the offensive line for many years to come. However, all three weren't as physically ready for the NFL as some of the competition they faced and it showed in the team's inconsistency in running the ball and need to devote extra blockers on passing downs.

The Packers play with linemen who by NFL standards are undersized because they emphasize quickness and mobility in their zone-blocking scheme. Colledge finished the season at 296 pounds, Spitz was at 295 and Moll was below his listed weight of 308.

If they are going to compete at those weights, they're going to need every bit of strength they can get, which is why Philbin wants them in the weight room as soon as possible. None of the three was in weight and conditioning coach Rock Gullickson's lifting program during the winter months last year and were able to focus on maintaining strength only during the regular season.

But once the three have taken time to let their bodies heal, Philbin would like them to get an early start on the off-season program.

"They're going to be doing things between now and March 20 when the official off-season program begins," Philbin said. "That's obviously important. I think they can make a lot of progress. You have to remember they're still young guys, they're in their early to mid-20s. I think there's room for some significant improvement."

As a group, the three intend to spend a lot of time around Green Bay.

Colledge and Spitz own homes in the community, and Moll intends to return after spending time with his family in California. All three know what the goal is this off-season.

"We have a lot of things already crossed off the list," said Moll, who started 10 games, five at right tackle and five at right guard. "I think the No. 1 thing is how well we worked together. We hang out outside of football; during meetings we're sitting together. That's the No. 1 thing.

"Now it's getting stronger with each other. We've been talking about that. We're going to come back around the same time."

Philbin said all three had different goals.

"From Tony Moll's standpoint, I would think you'd have to say he's probably the one who needs the strength work the most," Philbin said. "Spitz has very good upper-body strength and could use some lower-body strength.

"And Daryn's thing we really stressed with him is flexibility more than anything else, kind of his balance and playing with a little better pad level. I think some of the things he can get done in the weight room will help him accomplish those goals."

Colledge, who started 15 games, all but one of which was at left guard, bounced back from being benched at the end of training camp to be perhaps the most effective of the three. Like the other two, he took his lumps trying to block the likes of Minnesota's Pat Williams and Kevin Williams, Chicago's Tommie Harris and Detroit's Shaun Rogers.

Although the running game wasn't very good and the tight ends often had to stay in to block on passing downs, the three are certain they gained a lot from the season.

"I don't think we're going to know for a long time what we really got done, but we all got an opportunity to start 10 or more games, and that's something special," Colledge said. "I don't think there's another team in the league that did that. And we've got guys from the second to the fifth round that all got in there and did their job and did it reasonably well. It's just a testament to good coaching and a bunch of good guys."

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a hidden message. Lift weights and get stronger. Simple as that. If they do that they are here for a long time. If not then that kind of goes against what this Packer team is all about and what their really looking for.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah these guys seem like they are guys who go the extra mile, Especially that Jason Spitz.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line, I like the message that MM sent to these young players, and in doing so, the entire team as they enter the offseason.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading this article I got the sense of what Mike McCarthy and his staff mean by "Packer People." I know your all thinking, what the hell is wrong with me for bringing up that word again, but this is what they mean. They want to build a team with no pre-madonnas. They want to have a team that is similar to old style NFL, where winning, and work are everything. My friends, this is what championship teams are made of. Winning needs to be the ultimate goal.

Another thing that I see in this interview is that the offensive linemen stick together. They hang out together, they are friends. They want to continue to be together and play as a team. They will grow together, and become a very, very, good offensive line.

I'm so excited for this football team.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the Bear game John Madden observed that they all needed to get stronger and spend time in the weight room.

It is part of being a rookie. They started with the Packers in may at mini-camps and then training camp.

The "offseason" conditioning progam is important as players work on their weaknesses with individual routines. Additionally they are young and have not reached their physical peaks yet.

As to competition another OT will be obtained. I don't think Barry will make it. Bourke better be in the weight room a lot too.

A back up center and guard will be added to the competition mix as well.
Hey, there is always competition. So this fatherly advice is for them to prepare for it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think there is a hidden message. Lift weights and get stronger. Simple as that. If they do that they are here for a long time. If not then that kind of goes against what this Packer team is all about and what their really looking for.

Coach has said they need to spend time in the weight room. It's not a hidden message.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article and the message sent is even better!

As the debate rages on, just how much stronger can an OL get in 3 or 4 months?? Can they get 2 more wins stronger in that amount of time??

Likewise, why do so many seem to think it's a given that they will get stronger and better during the off season?? I love the optimism, but it's not exactly like waving a magic wand you know??

For the 3rd year in a row, the OL needs to be fixed. Is the 3rd time a charm for TT??

For the love of God, sign a respectable/good NFL ready OG or make a trade for one, and let the rookies battle it out for the other spot. Give this team at least one side of the line to run behind, and the whole dynamic of this team will change for the better. Yes it's that important!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article and the message sent is even better!

As the debate rages on, just how much stronger can an OL get in 3 or 4 months?? Can they get 2 more wins stronger in that amount of time??

Likewise, why do so many seem to think it's a given that they will get stronger and better during the off season?? I love the optimism, but it's not exactly like waving a magic wand you know??

For the love of God, sign a respectable/good NFL ready OG or make a trade for one, and let the rookies battle it out for the other spot. Give this team at least one side of the line to run behind, and the whole dynamic of this team will change for the better. Yes it's that important!!

No way. Green Bay, McCarthy, Thompson, and BRETT FAVRE did not go through the Rookie Growing Pains just to get rid of them. If they sucked, yes, but they don't suck. They've come along nicely. Can rookies get stronger\improve over 3-4 months? Um, considering they got better from September to December, the answer is obviously yes.

For the 3rd year in a row, the OL needs to be fixed. Is the 3rd time a charm for TT??

Well thats just not true at all. The O-line is fixed and will only get better as each day goes by for those young men.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, a, maybe you didn't watch the games this season; I don't know?

It really shouldn't need to be rehased, but so many seem to be in denial??

Time and time again, Favre was forced to run for his life under continous pressure from the better teams. Likewise, we had to keep RBs and TEs in max protection against most teams which limited our passing attack. Most importantly, our running attack was avg at best and very rarely was succussful in short yardage, goal line and or Red Zone efforts which again forced Favre to try and make plays when there were none.

Of course the guys will improve to some degree, but will it be enough to win close games like the Saints, Bills, Rams and Seahawks....4 games we could have easily won IF WE HAD AN EFFECTIVE RUNNING GAME TO CLOSE THOSE GAMES OUT. Likewise, I didn't say get rid of them. Simply bring in one Guard who is better than they are and give them their time to develop. They shouldn't be gifted their jobs again next year; they need the competition. Bringing in NFLE and bottom of the barrel FA is hardly true competition either.

The question was, how much stronger can one person get in 3 or 4 months? I think it's fair to say it would be very marginal and is not likely to be much better in 2007/2008 against stiffer competition. I trust you watched how they were manhandled against the Eagles, Pats and Seahawks to some extent?

Even though it is obvious that they need help in this area, I'm sure you'll get your wish. TT is likely to sit on his hands another off season and HOPE for improvement. In fact, he is on record already about staying the course and being very "reserved" w/ FA.

No wonder Favre has such a hard time each year trying to decide whether to come back or not??

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slacker, what did Bently and Hutchinson get last year for contracts?

I agree with your post though. The Viking game in Lambeau was a perfect example of how far Spitz and College need to go. Fat Pat and Kevin Williams ate them up.

I'm also concerned with Clifton, particularly his knees.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the concern w/ Hutchinson and Bently; however, there were other opitons I've discussed in the past.

I guess a lot of it has to do w/ how much value or the emphasis you place on the running game. For me, it's the engine of the team. Any team that can run the ball effectively when they need to (short yardage, Red Zone, late in the game to close a game out) will be successful. Couple that w/ a strong Def, and more than likely we're talking about a playoff team. Couple that w/ a QB like Favre, and I think you're talking about a SB team!

What would be wrong w/ trading a 3rd or 4th rd pick (TT has done that each draft thus far) to grab an NFL ready OLmen ? A player in his 2, 3 or 4th season is still young enough to grow w/ the team and has some NFL experience and more than likely is much more NFL ready mentally and physically.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the concern w/ Hutchinson and Bently; however, there were other opitons I've discussed in the past.

I guess a lot of it has to do w/ how much value or the emphasis you place on the running game. For me, it's the engine of the team. Any team that can run the ball effectively when they need to (short yardage, Red Zone, late in the game to close a game out) will be successful. Couple that w/ a strong Def, and more than likely we're talking about a playoff team. Couple that w/ a QB like Favre, and I think you're talking about a SB team!

What would be wrong w/ trading a 3rd or 4th rd pick (TT has done that each draft thus far) to grab an NFL ready OLmen ? A player in his 2, 3 or 4th season is still young enough to grow w/ the team and has some NFL experience and more than likely is much more NFL ready mentally and physically.

Nothing is wrong with it. In fact, I'm in favor of looking for upgrades at any position. I don't think our O-line is set for the long haul yet, but they came a long way in one year.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have one question. If all three of the rookies are starters 3 - 4 years down the road, are their contracts staggered so we will not have to take a huge hit if they all need to negotiate at the same time? I know Colledge signed a 4 year contract but canot find the details on Spitz or Moll.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good, TT needs to add another interior linemen during the draft to add even more talent. Lets' have the best two Guards starting for our team. Also another OT might be needed since Tauscher and Clifton have had injury issues recently.

Members online

Latest posts