Clifton Returns to practice (Aug 8th) !

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id link you to the packersnews.com article but I cant copy and paste.

But yeah...hes back, and looked good according to McCarthy. Someone whose computer doesnt suck, please link the good people!

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
practice

By Pete Dougherty and Dylan Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Green Bay Packers left tackle Chad Clifton returned to practice Monday night after missing the last seven days with a knee injury. Clifton worked with the starters during team drills on a limited basis.

"I thought he moved around well," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "He looked good from what I saw."

He took one rep during one-on-one pass blocking drills and had no trouble stopping Kabeer Gbaja- Biamila. He also did some team (11-on-11) drills.

Clifton missed the last week because of soreness in his post-operative knee.

"When you get to be an older player, especially when you're playing lineman, those legs are the first things that start giving out on a guy," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "We just want to make sure we're being smart with him, too. He's going to be our starting left tackle on opening day. For him to blow up in training camp would be foolish on our part."

Jennings sits out

Rookie receiver Greg Jennings left the night practice and was seen on the sideline with ice near his groin. McCarthy said the injury wasn't serious.

"It was a sore muscle," McCarthy said "I don't think it was a big deal at all."

Bubba is back

Tight end Bubba Franks returned to practice Monday night and was healthy enough to participate in most of the team drills. Franks did get a scare when he was drilled in the end zone by safety Tyrone Culver after dropping a pass from Aaron Rodgers. Franks was very slow to get up and limped afterward but returned to practice.

Running back Najeh Davenport also practiced Monday night after skipping the morning practice. With running back Ahman Green and linebacker Brady Poppinga returning to practice Monday morning, McCarthy said he was happy to get so many players back.

"It's great to have them out there," McCarthy said. "It's training camp. Guys get bumped and bruised, you just have to be smart with them." McCarthy said offensive lineman Will Whitticker (hamstring) underwent a MRI on Monday but said he did not have the results. McCarthy also said defensive back Atari Bigby was getting a second opinion on his injured hand. McCarthy said he did not know if Bigby's hand was fractured.

Odds and ends

Receiver Robert Ferguson was back at practice Monday after missing Saturday night's scrimmage because he was in Louisiana for the funeral of an aunt.

The Packers had tackle Adam Haayer in for a workout Monday. Haayer (6-foot-6, 311 pounds) is a sixth-year pro who played in 12 games last season, including starting four, with Arizona. He played in college at the University of Minnesota and was a sixth-round draft pick of Tennessee in 2001. He had one other start in his career before last year, with the Minnesota Vikings in 2004.

The Packers released linebacker Byron Santiago, a rookie free agent from Louisiana Tech. Santiago had missed all of training camp with a back injury.

Packers President Bob Harlan was released from St. Mary's Hospital Medical Center over the weekend after being admitted Thursday night with suspected gallstones. Harlan will represent the Packers at the NFL meetings in Chicago this week when a successor to commissioner Paul Tagliabue is expected to be named.

Injury report

New: Receiver Greg Jennings (sore muscle), linebacker Kurt Campbell (hamstring).

Returned: Linebacker Brady Poppinga (knee), tackle Chad Clifton (knee), running back Ahman Green (quadriceps), running back Najeh Davenport (ankle), tight end Bubba Franks (knee).

Still out: Offensive lineman Will Whitticker (hamstring), defensive backs Atari Bigby (hand), Will Blackmon (foot), Patrick Dendy (ankle) and Mike Hawkins (knee) and receiver Leo Bookman (ankle).

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats awesome I like Chad a lot and I think he a good explosive Offensive player

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

But yeah...hes back, and looked good according to McCarthy. Someone whose computer doesnt suck, please link the good people!

This guy is key to the packers return to a winning season. without chad clifton, brett's blind side is in jeopardy!

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
tromadz said:

This guy is key to the packers return to a winning season. without chad clifton, brett's blind side is in jeopardy!

You hit the nail on the head.