Clay will be 30 years old before training camp

H

HardRightEdge

If Thompson drafts a defensive lineman and an inside linebacker with the Packers first two picks, addressing the team´s most pressing needs, I would be fine with taking a gamble on Smith.
I agree with that particularly in light of the fact that Matthews is the only OLB under contract for 2017.

Having three 4th. rounders provide some offset to the risk and presents the possibility of securing one of those college LTs who don't project well to the NFL for conversion to OG. Sitton: 4th. round; Lang: 4th. round; Tretter: 4th. round who may be in the OG conversation: all were college LTs. They lean toward the athletic side of the OG spectrum having been former LTs, which fits the priority on pass blocking and in the zone run blocking scheme. Going back to 2007, Barbre was a college LT taken in the 4th. round.

The starting LT came out of...wait for it...the 4th. round. The starting C came out of the 5th. round.

It's worth noting the developmental OGs were UDFAs. I don't think it's a coincidence that Taylor played OG in college and Rotheram played RG and RT....not as nimble as those 4th. rounders.

H

HardRightEdge

Jaylon Smith's highlight tape is chock-a-block with box plays and blitzes. But the reason I'm willing to discuss him as a 3rd. round possibility is the coverage play at 1:22 in the following clip:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He brings (or brought, as it were) so much to the game you could project him at OLB, SS in a scheme that likes to blitz from that position, or 3-4 ILB as a tweener you might want to pull on the occasional short yardage plays. He might not have been the #1 pick in the draft, but he might well have been the best football player.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Full heartedly agree, I had him pegged as one of the most impactful players in the draft until his injuries. I seriously could see value on ANY team for him in any scheme.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what he said, article up just today:

“I’m feeling normal again,” Smith said. “The knee is doing great. The nerve is just a matter of everything coming back. But the rehab is going great. I’m squatting over 400 pounds, I’m leg pressing over 600 pounds. It’s just a matter of time. I’ll be fine.”

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just a highlight reel i know, but they guy knows how to play football and is very athletic. Such a difference in watching him compared to some of the others mentioned like Lee, great inside out pursuit and he doesn't have to over pursue because he's fast enough to get there. The few examples they had showed excellent coverage ability. A linebacker I'd be happy to have, assuming he recovers of course.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Would Smith be willing to gamble on his health and himself and not sign with a team if he's drafted after say round 2? Re-enter the draft next year with a shot at a top 15 1st round grade? And the pay increase that comes with it. Or go the UDFA route for a one year late season playing chance and free agency next year?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, though, he'd be starting from scratch as far as the big post-rookie contract. If he signs this year, he's a free agent after three actual seasons; if he waits, it's at least four, probably five.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or go the UDFA route for a one year late season playing chance and free agency next year?

Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts. In addition the rookie compensation pool significantly limits the money a team can offer to an UDFA.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he signs this year, he's a free agent after three actual seasons; if he waits, it's at least four, probably five.

A team would have to draft him in the first round to be able to use the fifth-year option on him though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A team would have to draft him in the first round to be able to use the fifth-year option on him though.

Agree. The post I was responding to said "Re-enter the draft next year with a shot at a top 15 1st round grade?".

H

HardRightEdge

Here's what he said, article up just today:

“I’m feeling normal again,” Smith said. “The knee is doing great. The nerve is just a matter of everything coming back. But the rehab is going great. I’m squatting over 400 pounds, I’m leg pressing over 600 pounds. It’s just a matter of time. I’ll be fine.”
The problem is you won't see him run before the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

FWIW cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu suffered a similar fate as Jaylon Smith last season. He was widely considered a first-round pick as well as the best CB in the draft by several experts before tearing his ACL as well as dislocating his knee in practice in December 2014.

The Browns drafted Ekpre-Olomu with the 241st pick during the 2015 draft and he spent the entire season on injured reserve. It seems like he wasn´t able to get fully healthy though as he was waived by the Browns over the weekend.

This incident as well as Marcus Lattimore´s inability to ever play in the NFL doesn´t make me optimistic that Smith will be able to have an impact at the pro level.

Members online

Latest posts