Clay will be 30 years old before training camp

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is one of those perceived "difference makers" that can actually make a difference and make an NFL defense better starting on day 1. But when day 1 is, is anyone's best guess. I will say that his stock will be late 1st, early/mid 2nd if there is any chance at all of him actually playing in 2016. However, if he is out for the year, then he could very well be there when we pick in round 2. So if we want Jaylon, we'll have to draft him in the 2nd round. He wont be there when we pick in round 3 regardless of his status because his talent will be too enticing to pass up for some team. I see NE, Dallas, Seattle, SF, Arizona or someone like that drafting him before we pick in round 3.
yeah, I don't see how he makes it thru 2 rounds, and if there's a chance he's playing this year, I don't see him making it out of round 1

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is one of those perceived "difference makers" that can actually make a difference and make an NFL defense better starting on day 1. But when day 1 is, is anyone's best guess. I will say that his stock will be late 1st, early/mid 2nd if there is any chance at all of him actually playing in 2016. However, if he is out for the year, then he could very well be there when we pick in round 2. So if we want Jaylon, we'll have to draft him in the 2nd round. He wont be there when we pick in round 3 regardless of his status because his talent will be too enticing to pass up for some team. I see NE, Dallas, Seattle, SF, Arizona or someone like that drafting him before we pick in round 3.

Big risk, but if his long term prognosis is good, worth it. I agree that if that's the case, he won't get past the 2nd, maybe not even to our 2nd round pick.

H

HardRightEdge

If the injury is a so bad that Smith will be unable to play in 2016, as some reports would have it, then no doctor can confidently predict 4 months into the recovery process that he will eventually regain the explosiveness and speed you see on tape. You'd be buying a lottery ticket, with the day 1 draft cost presenting a poor risk/reward proposition.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to reports from the combine some teams completely removed Jaylon Smith from their board because they´re afraid his injury his career-threatening. While he perfectly fits the skill set the Packers are in desperate need of at inside linebacker there´s no way Thompson should think about selecting him in the first-round and most likely not even on day 2 of the draft.

I think the odds are at least even that we'd see the Packers go OT/G swing man vs. OLB in the 2nd. round, securing a guy they think can graduate to starting OG in 2016. The fact that 4 of the top 6 OLs will be FAs after this season, 2 of them the starting OGs, argues for some action now.

I have a feeling the Packers view Lane Taylor as a possible starter at guard and maybe even look at Matt Rotheram as a possible replacement for either Sitton or Lang. With Bakhtiari being the top priority to re-sign on the offensive line I don´t see the need to spend an early draft pick on the position.

H

HardRightEdge

I have a feeling the Packers view Lane Taylor as a possible starter at guard and maybe even look at Matt Rotheram as a possible replacement for either Sitton or Lang. With Bakhtiari being the top priority to re-sign on the offensive line I don´t see the need to spend an early draft pick on the position.
That would be the hope. From what I've seen of Taylor, he'd represent a drop off. He doesn't look as athletic as the incumbents. Rotheram? We won't know until he plays.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to reports from the combine some teams completely removed Jaylon Smith from their board because they´re afraid his injury his career-threatening. While he perfectly fits the skill set the Packers are in desperate need of at inside linebacker there´s no way Thompson should think about selecting him in the first-round and most likely not even on day 2 of the draft.

I agree with you OL comments and I think a replacement may be a draftee from this year as well.

As for Jaylon, living basically in/around South Bend I've grown to know some of the Notre Dame staff from time to time and am friends with one of their coaches sons/daughter in law. Was the injury severe? Most definitely...is there a chance this young man never recovers...without a doubt. From what I've heard the direct line rumor mill swirling is that he'll be back, it is to what degree that will be but many of the folks close to him feel it isn't as bad as some are trying to make it out...nor is it though as "not severe" as fewer have said.

I look forward to learning more on his prognosis here in Mid-April...and if he is there in the 2nd I won't be mad at TT either way...to me his homerun potential is enough to warrant the risk...but I also would understand if he passes.

D

Deleted member 6794

That would be the hope. From what I've seen of Taylor, he'd represent a drop off. He doesn't look as athletic as the incumbents. Rotheram? We won't know until he plays.

I absolutely expect a drop-off in performance with either Taylor or Rotheram replacing Sitton and/or Lang but the salary cap won´t allow the Packers to re-sign both of the incumbent starters at guard.

As for Jaylon, living basically in/around South Bend I've grown to know some of the Notre Dame staff from time to time and am friends with one of their coaches sons/daughter in law. Was the injury severe? Most definitely...is there a chance this young man never recovers...without a doubt. From what I've heard the direct line rumor mill swirling is that he'll be back, it is to what degree that will be but many of the folks close to him feel it isn't as bad as some are trying to make it out...nor is it though as "not severe" as fewer have said.

I look forward to learning more on his prognosis here in Mid-April...and if he is there in the 2nd I won't be mad at TT either way...to me his homerun potential is enough to warrant the risk...but I also would understand if he passes.

Medical staffs for NFL teams were able to take a look at his knee at the combine for the first time. Unfortunately all of the reports coming out of Indianapolis were devastating for Jaylon Smith. I understand that he´s optimistic about his prognosis but it doesn´t seem most doctors that have taken a look at him agree with it.

Don´t get me wrong, I would be fine with drafting him but would prefer to use one of the compensation picks on him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely expect a drop-off in performance with either Taylor or Rotheram replacing Sitton and/or Lang but the salary cap won´t allow the Packers to re-sign both of the incumbent starters at guard.

Medical staffs for NFL teams were able to take a look at his knee at the combine for the first time. Unfortunately all of the reports coming out of Indianapolis were devastating for Jaylon Smith. I understand that he´s optimistic about his prognosis but it doesn´t seem most doctors that have taken a look at him agree with it.

Don´t get me wrong, I would be fine with drafting him but would prefer to use one of the compensation picks on him.

Cannot dispute any of that. I do know he was deflated from the combine.

H

HardRightEdge

Which is why some of see a projected replacement as high as the 3rd. round...one of those college LTs that don't project well to the position in the NFL that the Packers have had success with at OG in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and so my comparison still stands. Drafting someone so high in the draft with a major injury question is a huge risk. I don't think that Thompson is going to do it twice.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jaylon is there in round 2, take him.

This kid is a MONSTER. I just hope his injury isn't as bad as it seems.

H

HardRightEdge

Was the injury severe? Most definitely...is there a chance this young man never recovers...without a doubt. From what I've heard the direct line rumor mill swirling is that he'll be back....
I would absolutely expect him to land on somebody's IR, followed by an appearance in 2017's training camp.

That's not the point, though. There's a vast middle ground between "returning with 100% of his athleticism" and "never plays in the NFL". The unknown in the middle ground is how much his athleticism is diminished by the injury. Given his high starting point, he could see some diminishment and still play, but would he be the impact player he would have been otherwise?

Those are big unknowns at this juncture. The question is, "how much do you discount him in the draft to compensate for the risks?" I think that's 3rd. round or lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is probably an appropriate range for most GMs, and I'm just barfing something out here for argument's sake. Let's say most GMs would feel safe throwing away a 3rd or 4th rounder on an injury guess, but there will be a Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones that breaks with conventional wisdom and drafts based on a wish in the first or second round. It doesn't really reflect the market, just that there is a fool in every room.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is probably an appropriate range for most GMs, and I'm just barfing something out here for argument's sake. Let's say most GMs would feel safe throwing away a 3rd or 4th rounder on an injury guess, but there will be a Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones that breaks with conventional wisdom and drafts based on a wish in the first or second round. It doesn't really reflect the market, just that there is a fool in every room.

Especially Uncle Jerruh.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Jaylon is there in round 2, take him.

This kid is a MONSTER. I just hope his injury isn't as bad as it seems.

There´s absolutely no doubt Smith´s injury is severe. With the Packers medical staff being one of the more conservative in the league I have a hard time believing we´ll be the team pulling the trigger on him early in the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s absolutely no doubt Smith´s injury is severe. With the Packers medical staff being one of the more conservative in the league I have a hard time believing we´ll be the team pulling the trigger on him early in the draft.

Which is why I think TT probably wouldn't consider until the 3rd round. If he's grabbed 2 solid players already and his board is shifting around well for later rounds I could see him think of it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Which is why I think TT probably wouldn't consider until the 3rd round. If he's grabbed 2 solid players already and his board is shifting around well for later rounds I could see him think of it.

If Thompson drafts a defensive lineman and an inside linebacker with the Packers first two picks, addressing the team´s most pressing needs, I would be fine with taking a gamble on Smith.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Thompson drafts a defensive lineman and an inside linebacker with the Packers first two picks, addressing the team´s most pressing needs, I would be fine with taking a gamble on Smith.

Pretty much exactly what I think is the only way we see our organization take the risk pick on him...now if his next medical checkup whoas the world....could that change things...for some teams yes, ours probably not as we like you said have a more conservative minded medical staff.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pretty much exactly what I think is the only way we see our organization take the risk pick on him...now if his next medical checkup whoas the world....could that change things...for some teams yes, ours probably not as we like you said have a more conservative minded medical staff.

I have a hard time believing that one month since his medical exam at the combine will make a huge difference. If it miraculously does though Smith will be gone by the time the Packers pick in the first round.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that one month since his medical exam at the combine will make a huge difference. If it miraculously does though Smith will be gone by the time the Packers pick in the first round.

Captain let a man dream okay...do you go around telling Bears and Vikings fans their seasons are over already? (wait...bad example) er.....

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro football talk has an update from Smith himself. Sounds very optimistic- "just a matter of time"- but somethings, like what he claims to be squatting 600(?) LBS, don't sound right. Says docs told him nerve damage will heal on it's own.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pro football talk has an update from Smith himself. Sounds very optimistic- "just a matter of time"- but somethings, like what he claims to be squatting 600(?) LBS, don't sound right. Says docs told him nerve damage will heal on it's own.

He sounded overly optimistic at the combine as well but the medical exams were devastating.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nerve damage on its own doesn't tell us a lot. The real questions and answers are the ones we'll never know not being his doctors and team. Peripheral nerves can grow back relatively quickly, or it can be a pretty long slow process. Which nerves, how much distance was disrupted? what nerves are doing muscle recruitment now? How about all the proprioception? His nerve damage could be nothing more than some numbness on the skin, or it could cause big deficiencies in his motor patterns that have to be relearned, once the axons are able to regenerate. Could be weeks, months, years. But "nerve damage" after something like this or any other knee surgery isn't exactly uncommon.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a damn shame, ain't it? Seems like a good kid, with a bright future.

Everything I've been told from people around the team is he seems to be one of the shining guys out of the ND locker room character wise.

Members online

Latest posts