Clay Matthews Should Be Cut

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to cut him. He is not an impact defender anymore. The TD pass from Newton to McCaffrey when we got eliminated from the playoffs by Carolina sums up what he is now. All bark no bite. He called out the wrong route, Cam made fun of him pre-snap, then Clay got sonned like a little kid by the left tackle/tripped and fell down. He wasn't a factor on the play and probably confused Josh Jones in the process of trying to be a "leader". I'd like to put Clay's $11 million cap # towards making Aaron happy with his impending mega-extension and go get Harold Landry to be a cheaper, younger, better replacement via the draft. Thoughts?

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is our best LB whether you like to hear that or not. Replacing him on 2018 with a pass rusher who is going to need to develop is probably not wise. Especially when you consider he is also probably our best inside linebacker as well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts are that this is a really stupid idea, on the same level as thinking that Janis is a good WR.

OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many have not wanted Clay inside due to his lack of technique/proper fundamentals at the position. So in that regard it is debatable that Blake is our best guy inside. In terms of OLB, I would argue that it has been the lack of high quality play from the position that is the true culprit of our defense being bad since we won SB 45. Clay's last solid season was 2014 (2015 was an anomaly-he didn't deserve to be a Pro Bowler that year and played mediocre/was banged up despite the name recognition). We need to revamp the OLB room. Cut Clay/trade Nick for a bag of chips (i.e. a future conditional late round pick). Bring in 2/3 young guys in the draft (Landry, Carter, and Haynes are my guys). Since we have Wilkerson now is the best time to do it.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm totally on board with cutting one of our only two decent edge rushers with no back-up plan. Definitely a good idea. Definitely not being sarcastic. And definitely trade the other too.

OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Harold Landry, Lorenzo Carter and Marquis Haynes would be an upgrade over Clay Matthews/Nick Perry/Ahmad Brooks. For alot cheaper. That's the backup plan. The reality is we're gonna have to offload a Brinks truck this off-season for AR12. I'm thinking we're gonna be forced to do at least a 3yr $105M extension, and hope he is nice enough to let us just give him a $60M signing bonus/fully guarantee these last 2 yrs of his current deal so that we can uptick his cap by say 5% in order to front load the deal and not have it hamstring our salary cap in the last 3 yrs by keeping the cap number closer to $25M than $35M. That cash/cap capital has to come from somewhere...

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are the backup plan we can take them and actually let them develop without removing the only relevant LB's we have.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts are, are you serious? Cutting Matthews is not a smart move on a defense that is severely lacking playmakers. I'm cool with drafting Landry and or Carter but you gotta keep Matthews. Obviously Ahmad Brooks won't be back as that was a panic signing due to the front offices complete incompitentness when it came to handling peppers free agency. To not even offer the man a contract is ludicrous. And we see how it turned out they panicked right before the season and wasted 5 million on brooks (1.5 sacks) when they could of had peppers (11 sacks) for only 3.75 million by simply talking to the man. Instead they played it like they did with woodson and now Nelson.

OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are the backup plan we can take them and actually let them develop without removing the only relevant LB's we have.
That's my point-Clay and Nick ARE NOT RELEVANT. We're practically paying them both combined like over $1M a sack. Their production is pale in comparison to their contract sizes. We need to move on and get younger for the future while we are still in a position to do so with AR12 guiding the ship.

Just ask yourself, do you truly believe our defense last year would have been worse with T.J. Watt and Gilbert from the practice squad out there over Clay/Nick? Furthermore, with Aaron going down, would the difference between them even mattered?

Think about it. And then look at the EDGE OLB talent in last year's draft that we passed up/all the guys in this year's draft.

There has to be some smelling of the coffee here...

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Mods— if we get like 200 disagrees on this bad boy, can you guys just disappear it?

OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mods— if we get like 200 disagrees on this bad boy, can you guys just disappear it?

We have a ****** defense. Clay only made one play of significance last season (the tackle vs Dallas that set up the tip/pick six by Randall). He only looks like a disruptive player sparingly vs bad teams with horrible OTs. Like Tampa. Against teams with average OL play he gets washed without ever being double-teamed anymore. The sarcasm and disdain for my thread is a testament to the problem GB/GB fans have. We think players on our roster are better than what they are.

Any other team would have cut Matthews last year. That's real. So you can dismiss my thread all you want but the long-haired poster boy is just that-a shell of himself getting paid alot of money based on what he did in the past-and killing our current defense/ability to maneuver cap-wise.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts are, are you serious? Cutting Matthews is not a smart move on a defense that is severely lacking playmakers. I'm cool with drafting Landry and or Carter but you gotta keep Matthews. Obviously Ahmad Brooks won't be back as that was a panic signing due to the front offices complete incompitentness when it came to handling peppers free agency. To not even offer the man a contract is ludicrous. And we see how it turned out they panicked right before the season and wasted 5 million on brooks (1.5 sacks) when they could of had peppers (11 sacks) for only 3.75 million by simply talking to the man. Instead they played it like they did with woodson and now Nelson.

Peppers wanted back with Carolina. Had nothing to do with Packers not reaching out.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's my point-Clay and Nick ARE NOT RELEVANT. We're practically paying them both combined like over $1M a sack. Their production is pale in comparison to their contract sizes. We need to move on and get younger for the future while we are still in a position to do so with AR12 guiding the ship.

Just ask yourself, do you truly believe our defense last year would have been worse with T.J. Watt and Gilbert from the practice squad out there over Clay/Nick. Furthermore, with Aaron going down, would the difference between them even mattered?

Think about it. And then look at the EDGE OLB talent in last year's draft that we passed up/all the guys in this year's draft.

There has to be some smelling of the coffee here...

I wanted TJ Watt as much as the next guy but yes, our defense is definitely worse trotting those 2 out instead of Matthews/Perry last season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We have a ****** defense. Clay only made one play of significance last season (the tackle vs Dallas that set up the tip/pick six by Randall). He only looks like a disruptive player sparingly vs bad teams with horrible OTs. Like Tampa. Against teams with average OL play he gets washed without ever being double-teamed anymore. The sarcasm and disdain for my thread is a testament to the problem GB/GB fans have. We think players on our roster are better than what they are.

Any other team would have cut Matthews last year. That's real. So you can dismiss my thread all you want but the long-haired poster boy is just that-a shell of himself getting paid alot of money based on what he did in the past-and killing our current defense/ability to maneuver cap-wise.

Most of this is nonsense. As is the idea that it would somehow help to cut a productive pass rusher in late March when you can’t do anything with the saved cap space.

But thank you for spicing up the board. It was a slow afternoon.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pay attention. The cap hit on cutting / trading Perry is $19 million according to this site. Whereas it is <$11m to have him sit on the end of the bench next to the waterboy. You LOSE $8m+ by cutting him now. NEXT season he is almost a $15m cap hit and $11m dead cap if released. And as aptly noted.

Pay attention-we can simply wait till the summer to trade Nick and save $8M. Cutting Clay now adds another 11. Why not save that money while going to get some young studs who can actually bend the edge and pressure the QB consistently on rookie deals?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they'll move him inside more, he's too valuable and versatile to just cut right now. The replacement for a dedicated edge rusher may be Biegel or a draft pick. Don't be surprised if they go OLB in the first even if there's good CB's on the board.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
He is our best LB whether you like to hear that or not. Replacing him on 2018 with a pass rusher who is going to need to develop is probably not wise. Especially when you consider he is also probably our best inside linebacker as well.
Though I fully agree that cutting him is assanine, I thoroughly disagree that he is our best linebacker. Edge rusher? Sure. Blake Martinez is our best linebacker.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers wanted back with Carolina. Had nothing to do with Packers not reaching out.

Not true, that was only after the Packers said nothing to him about resigning. It's been reported by Jason Wilde who spoke to peppers directly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pay attention-we can simply wait till the summer to trade Nick and save $8M. Cutting Clay now adds another 11. Why not save that money while going to get some young studs who can actually bend the edge and pressure the QB consistently on rookie deals?
Is it a requirement for someone who tells others to "pay attention" to first know what they're talking about?

Go ahead and trade him, he still costs money this year to unload in whatever manner they choose.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We really should have 3 threads stickied...just so they don't pop up every now and then with no new content.

1) Clay Matthews should be cut
2) Randall Cobb should be cut
3) Janis should be out #2 WR and #2 CB

That way everyone would be happy.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I fully agree that cutting him is assanine, I thoroughly disagree that he is our best linebacker. Edge rusher? Sure. Blake Martinez is our best linebacker.

Meh. Blake is servicable but only because we have nothing else.