Clay Matthews shin: anyone have footage to confirm?

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the footage I've seen, it's really doing a number on him. I haven't really seen him try to bulldoze OLinemen back. He's doing a lot of side to side motion, making him one-dimensional. It's really disheartening cause if it wasn't for his shin, he'd be rackin' up a hell of a lot more sacks even if double teamed.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the Giants game? Did you see the 4 hits he had on Manning that were a split second away from being sacks? Or the play when he ran 40 yards and punched the ball out of Jacobs' hand? I don't think it is bothering him much other than limiting him in practice. He is playing very well, the issue is that most teams are throwing double teams at Matthews that he can't shake. The other thing is that the Packers are blitzing 3-4 guys on most snaps, which means there are still enough blockers. The point of the pass rush is to collapse the pocket and eventually squeeze the QB.

Matthews has strongly made an argument for DPOY even if he hasn't had sacks in a while. He has made play after play after play even with him bum shin.

He got off to such a fast start because teams weren't dedicating enough blockers every play, now Matthews has become the focal point.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's double teamed on every play. It doesn't help that Jenkins has been out and the other outside linebacker was sitting at home on his couch a couple of weeks ago.

It is simply amazing that this defense continues to excel in spite of all the injuries.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly Vagabond! Zombo will be back this week and probably Jenkins too. I would not want to be Cutler Sunday. Come to think of it, I never want to be Cutler.

Against the Midgets, Mathews dropped quite a bit. He can still run.

Geez, we miss Kampman though. This D would be even more awesome with Kampamn!

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the Giants game? Did you see the 4 hits he had on Manning that were a split second away from being sacks? Or the play when he ran 40 yards and punched the ball out of Jacobs' hand? I don't think it is bothering him much other than limiting him in practice. He is playing very well, the issue is that most teams are throwing double teams at Matthews that he can't shake. The other thing is that the Packers are blitzing 3-4 guys on most snaps, which means there are still enough blockers. The point of the pass rush is to collapse the pocket and eventually squeeze the QB.

Matthews has strongly made an argument for DPOY even if he hasn't had sacks in a while. He has made play after play after play even with him bum shin.

He got off to such a fast start because teams weren't dedicating enough blockers every play, now Matthews has become the focal point.

Don't get me wrong. I thought he played, and always plays, fantastic. It's just I see him trying to beat guys with speed instead of power whereas in the beginning of the season he had the ability to utilize both.

Kinda the equivalent of me saying "An injured Packer team is still amazing, but a healthy Packer team would be unstoppable."

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly Vagabond! Zombo will be back this week and probably Jenkins too. I would not want to be Cutler Sunday. Come to think of it, I never want to be Cutler.

Against the Midgets, Mathews dropped quite a bit. He can still run.

Geez, we miss Kampman though. This D would be even more awesome with Kampamn!

Kampman was my favorite player as a Packer (and my non-Packer favorite).

Having said that, Kampman is NOT a great fit in our 3-4 defense. He is an outstanding 4-3 DE, just not quick enough for 3-4 LB or big enough for 3-4 DE.

Members online

Latest posts