$$ Clay Matthews deserves the new big deal before Rodgers

Reaction score
They're both already being paid.
One has 2 years left, the other 1 year, on his current contract.
We have to remember Rodgers is not in the top 15 of guaranteed money for QB's... With Romo and Flacco being paid ridiculous numbers, that should be an outline for us to know who to pay next. They (Matthews and Rodgers) are both getting paid so it shouldn't really matter

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget the chip he tends to carry. Not to mention that his deal will determine all other deals. ARod and the clay maker both have the same agent as does B.J so maybe T.T. Is working all three at the same time.
Wouldn't THAT be something!
I was expecting, kind of, to see the BLOCKBUSTER announcement that both Matthews & Rodgers signed new mega-deals.
But can you imagine Raji also?
Raji hasn't earned a monster deal though.
He's no Vince Wilfork for sure.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the defensive guy that doesnt really dictate how the entire def works should be paid b4 the guy that runs the entire offense?

Or my point couuld be to pay the guy whos contract is up after the season. Sheesh. I guess i wasnt clear enough in that post.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Or my point couuld be to pay the guy whos contract is up after the season. Sheesh. I guess i wasnt clear enough in that post.
I hear ya Rodell, but here's the thing. One guy is a very rare find indeed and the other guy is a rare find. If I put a "Sophie's Choice" question to you and told you that you had to lose one player which would it be between those two? You have to get Rodgers done because then you know what you have for everybody else.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The longer we wait on Rodgers the more it could cost. There's probably another Jerry Jones out there ready to pay an insane amount to a QB that isn't of the caliber of AR.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The focus of this discussion seems to be about whom should be signed first. I think that we are all overlooking the likelihood that Russ Ball is simultaneously negotiating with both parties, and likely a few others. They aren't singularly focused in the negotiation department at GB Central

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers was in talks before the season started...They didnt get it done because of Flaco

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Rodgers was in talks before the season started...They didnt get it done because of Flaco

Why is that? waiting to see what Flacco makes so they have a starting point on what to base Arods new contract off of ? This pay crap is just getting utterly crazy......I bet the guys from the 60's and 70's are saying "holy ****"....when will this stop? what ceiling will this finally make? .....5 years from now, QB's will be getting 6 years 200 million....

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is that? waiting to see what Flacco makes so they have a starting point on what to base Arods new contract off of ? This pay crap is just getting utterly crazy......I bet the guys from the 60's and 70's are saying "holy ****"....when will this stop? what ceiling will this finally make? .....5 years from now, QB's will be getting 6 years 200 million....
They are predicting only modest increases in the Salary cap. We will see $33M/yr, but not too soon.

The old farts - too bad. They lived in an era when football just wasn't very big. Players had little freedom, but even if they did - there just wasn't much money to go around. Only reason the big bucks now a days is the amazing tv contracts bring in obscene amounts of money.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
They are predicting only modest increases in the Salary cap. We will see $33M/yr, but not too soon.

The old farts - too bad. They lived in an era when football just wasn't very big. Players had little freedom, but even if they did - there just wasn't much money to go around. Only reason the big bucks now a days is the amazing tv contracts bring in obscene amounts of money.

True, tv contracts are amazingly high

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's either the players get it or the owners get it. Could cut ticket prices but then the scalpers would get it

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It's either the players get it or the owners get it. Could cut ticket prices but then the scalpers would get it
You know there is a minimum salary cap too right? You have to keep in the middle somewhere. Players get theirs.
Compared to the old days it's a joke. Ray Nitschke lived in a very modest home, same with Johnny Logan's humble ranch. The money just wasn't there.
I remember clamoring for some kind of real sports on TV on weekends. Some days it was bowling or skiing or tennis. It was a very different time. If you wanted to hear games it was the radio, they just weren't all on TV back then. And I'm not that old.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know there is a minimum salary cap too right? You have to keep in the middle somewhere. Players get theirs.
Compared to the old days it's a joke. Ray Nitschke lived in a very modest home, same with Johnny Logan's humble ranch. The money just wasn't there.
I remember clamoring for some kind of real sports on TV on weekends. Some days it was bowling or skiing or tennis. It was a very different time. If you wanted to hear games it was the radio, they just weren't all on TV back then. And I'm not that old.

the difference between the minimum and max is $14 mil.

I feel bad for Tampa fans who watch their team every season make the owner rich with no real effort to put together a winning team.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Owners are not happy about the players getting it. Tickets go up to bump the cap, nobody can afford the games so cap actually goes down, Footballcalypse.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

What I meant was that they didnt just start talking when Flacco singed his...There were initial talks in last offseason

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think Rodgers should get $25 million a year and Matthews $15 million a year. Sounds about right. Last word was the Packers and Rodgers were $2 million a year apart.