Clay Mathews is done.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not wrap his left arm around KC's thigh and lift the leg off of or at least prevent it from reaching the ground. That is the lifting part of the refs and thus the leagues interpretation. Basically dumping him with out bipedal support appeared to be driving him into the ground. The only thing CM could have done would have been to not fall during the tackle.
In other words the correct way to tackle a QB is to not tackle him at all. Wrapping up is now a personal foul. I guess the only way to tackle a QB is to grab him and then fall backwards with the QB landing on top of the pass rusher. I'll say it again. If what Matthews did is now a roughing penalty, the pass rush is essentially dead. You're going to see the pump fake become effective on a whole new level.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t know what the current run/pass play numbers are currently but the more teams pass, the more defenses are going to try and bring QB pressure.

Teams have combined to throw the ball on 60.4% of the offensive plays so far this season. That number is significantly up over last season (57.6%).

Just stating a fact. While Clay wasn’t 74 of 74 bad in the Vikings game he still was far from being good. 2 weeks in a row boneheaded penalties, we can go back and forth all day about the new rules and how they are being inforced but at the end of the day both teams had these new rules effect them.

There's definitely reason to criticize Matthews for his penalty against the Bears but there's nothing he could have done differently on the play vs. the Vikings. It was just a terrible call.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not wrap his left arm around KC's thigh and lift the leg off of or at least prevent it from reaching the ground. That is the lifting part of the refs and thus the leagues interpretation. Basically dumping him with out bipedal support appeared to be driving him into the ground. The only thing CM could have done would have been to not fall during the tackle.
Can't wait for all the knee injuries when the big fat guys just wrap around them and go completely ****ing limp so their body weight drags them to the ground and their knees buckle. I suppose they'll have a rule against that too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, and I finally saw a replay of the Kendricks hit, I am rescinding my initial reaction, though he did change momentum to land on top of him, it wasn't nearly as egregious as I had initially thought. I am even more disappointed in the NFL now.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, and I finally saw a replay of the Kendricks hit, I am rescinding my initial reaction, though he did change momentum to land on top of him, it wasn't nearly as egregious as I had initially thought. I am even more disappointed in the NFL now.

That and I take back my harsh critique on Clay. I think it was that he had a few of us upset about what he did to Trubisky the week before that we kinda put him in the cooker.

Plus, well .... I know refs can make bad calls but I still hate blaming them for end results.

I think this article does sum up though why this is a big deal and why Roger Goodell has stained the way rules are written in the NFL.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...-Cousins-Clay-Matthews-penalty-122024709/Amp/

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this was far worse than "Fail Mary" due to the fact that it sets a new standard for what is allowed in hitting the quarterback.
Another thing that concerns me is that Matthews is getting a reputation for these kind of "illegal" hits, and refs are going to be keeping their eye on him with a mind to throw the flag. The poor guy's sack total has fallen off enough, now he'll probably have the refs watching him like a hawk.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW Rodgers doesn't believe Kendricks hit on him should have been flagged.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...rushers-can-get-back-playing-ball/1358126002/
He's right, I was wrong. I wasn't sure if he had clearly thrown it when contact was made, I thought maybe he had. Clearly he hadn't and was in the process of. and the hit itself wasn't as bad as I remembered. Thought it was more like the Barr hit where he took 3 steps with a QB in his arms that he knew threw the ball, then left his feet to drive him. those are cheap, and have always been cheap in my opinion.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and hearing their fanbase spin this is crazy. There have been a few reasonable one's but for the most part I here
1. This is all Packer fans fault for complaining about the Barr hit - even though the league said it was a different rule and not the emphasis
2. The Packers got a field goal out of the Kendricks call earlier as it extended the drive. I have heard numerous fans say Kendricks hit happened on 3rd down. It was first down and the Vikings had another penalty. It was a 10 yard penalty
3. Packer fans whine about roughing call and non roughing calls all the time. I moved here a year and a half after the Vikings saints NFC championship game and people were still complaining about the non rough calls in that game
4. The Packers cant complain because they get calls all the time. At least this group admits the call was bad
5. The Vikings were getting held on every play. Even their coach was whining about this. Sorry it is called pass block. Don't cry that Bahk owned his guy all game. He does that all the time
6. There were missed calls on both sides. Of course there were. There always are. But not all missed calls are created equal.

In the end it will be a fun rematch in November.

Last edited:

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once upon a time, boxing was the only sport in which the object was to injure the opponent.

When Bart Starr was our QB, when in the act of passing (ball in hand. arm back), a hit would be penalized. Nowadays, it's kill the QB, and win. Football needs to return to civility.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Once upon a time, boxing was the only sport in which the object was to injure the opponent.

When Bart Starr was our QB, when in the act of passing (ball in hand. arm back), a hit would be penalized. Nowadays, it's kill the QB, and win. Football needs to return to civility.
While I am too young to know the "Glory Years" first hand, I have seen enough pictures and video, are you sure you are remembering this time correctly?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

What in the actual world are you talking about, Jim?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to Mathews. If he does great and has a couple sacks and a couple pressures; I hope everyone will take a look at who he went against. Actually, I don't know who that is. Just saying. And I haven't given up on Mathews as a ball player but I have given up on him as far as his ability to rush against a good tackle one on one. The coaches need to be creative with him especially since he pretty much has to play.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and hearing their fanbase spin this is crazy. There have been a few reasonable one's but for the most part I here
1. This is all Packer fans fault for complaining about the Barr hit - even though the league said it was a different rule and not the emphasis
2. The Packers got a field goal out of the Kendricks call earlier as it extended the drive. I have heard numerous fans say Kendricks hit happened on 3rd down. It was first down and the Vikings had another penalty. It was a 10 yard penalty
3. Packer fans whine about roughing call and non roughing calls all the time. I moved here a year and a half after the Vikings saints NFC championship game and people were still complaining about the non rough calls in that game
4. The Packers cant complain because they get calls all the time. At least this group admits the call was bad
5. The Vikings were getting held on every play. Even their coach was whining about this. Sorry it is called pass block. Don't cry that Bahk owned his guy all game. He does that all the time
6. There were missed calls on both sides. Of course there were. There always are. But not all missed calls are created equal.

In the end it will be a fun rematch in November.
Wrong. The other penalty was Defensive offside by Griffen. A 5 yard penalty that would have made it 1st and 10 on the Green Bay 42 not 1st and ten on the Vikings 47. I don't believe there is such a thing as a 1o yard defensive penalty in the NFL. I think the only one possible would be "illegal block in the back".

D

Deleted member 6794

Wrong. The other penalty was Defensive offside by Griffen. A 5 yard penalty that would have made it 1st and 10 on the Green Bay 42 not 1st and ten on the Vikings 47. I don't believe there is such a thing as a 1o yard defensive penalty in the NFL. I think the only one possible would be "illegal block in the back".

I guess bigbubba meant that the roughing penalty on Kendricks actually resulted in an additional 10-yard gain for the Packers compared to the offside call on Griffen being enforced.

The flag on Matthews wiped out a game clinching interception. Huge difference.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess bigbubba meant that the roughing penalty on Kendricks actually resulted in an additional 10-yard gain for the Packers compared to the offside call on Griffen being enforced.

The flag on Matthews wiped out a game clinching interception. Huge difference.

Exactly what i meant. Thought it was obvious. Probably could have worded it better. No doubt those 10 yards are helpful but even after posting this I had to explain to a Minnesota fan that the penalty "didn't give the Packers a field goal" as they said. It helped for sure but in terms of overall impact on the game it wasn't even close.

Neither Clay nor Kendricks got fined which is interesting since they were supposed to be textbook roughing the passer...

Sendejo did get fined for his hit on Adams even though Zimmer claims a ref told him Sendejo did everything right. That was textbook helmet to helmet.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I'm reading that the Packers have already long since decided not to bring Matthews back after this season. Then why did they bother starting extension talks with him?

D

Deleted member 6794

Now I'm reading that the Packers have already long since decided not to bring Matthews back after this season. Then why did they bother starting extension talks with him?

I haven't seen any reliable source either mentioning that the Packers have already decided to move on from Matthews after this season or that the team had started talking to him about an extension at any point.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out the Packers page on sportspyder.com. in the article Matthews himself talks about the Packers and his agent discussing an extension.

D

Deleted member 6794

Check out the Packers page on sportspyder.com. in the article Matthews himself talks about the Packers and his agent discussing an extension.

They offer a lot of links to different articles about the Packers, not sure which one you're talking about.

Members online

Latest posts