Clay Mathews is done.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's like the NFL is so drunk on their own popularity that now they're literally trying to see if they can find ways to make people hate their sport for fun.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL backing up this call is unbelievable.

But then, there's Mike McCarthy's take on it: "McCarthy said he is “all for” player safety and protecting the quarterback, but officials have to make sure “it’s not a competitive disadvantage to the pass rusher.”

“I think anytime you have a desired result, there’s a formula to get the results,” McCarthy said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “You’ve got to make sure you look at all the variables, but I’m not sure the variables are clear right now.”

Results, formulas and variables, oh my! I think I'm going

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But then, there's Mike McCarthy's take on it: "McCarthy said he is “all for” player safety and protecting the quarterback, but officials have to make sure “it’s not a competitive disadvantage to the pass rusher.”

“I think anytime you have a desired result, there’s a formula to get the results,” McCarthy said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “You’ve got to make sure you look at all the variables, but I’m not sure the variables are clear right now.”

Known knowns, unknown knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns.

;) :confused: :alien: :eek:

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is how a highly successful person answers a question.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL is rigging games with the refs to make games interesting They know they are in trouble with viewers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
NFL is rigging games with the refs to make games interesting They know they are in trouble with viewers

More like its a multi-billion dollar business that makes its own rules, won't admit its own mistakes and expects and knows that the sheep will fall in line no matter what they do.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL says not only was the call is correct, they're going to us it on their teaching tapes. Ouch.
I wonder how Clay Matthews feels, knowing that he is growing more obsolete by the minute.
A defensive football player who isn't allowed to tackle anybody.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Insane. The league is saying both calls were correct. This is ridiculous

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-penalty-as-a-teaching-tool-for-pass-rushers/

Here is a gem from the league

"The technique of grabbing the passer from behind the leg or legs, scooping and pulling in an upward motion, is a foul."

How do you not pull a guy upward when he is already elevating to throw the ball?

And to top it off, the league is actually going to double down on this stupidity and use that hit as a teaching tool to show the rest of the teams how it's going to be called?

In the last 5 minutes, I've lost a lot of respect for the NFL that I'll probably never get back.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL says not only was the call is correct, they're going to us it on their teaching tapes. Ouch.
I wonder how Clay Matthews feels, knowing that he is growing more obsolete by the minute.
A defensive football player who isn't allowed to tackle anybody.
Clay has been becoming obsolete since the hgh allegations.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess not trading for Mack is looking like the best move. Load up on large powerful bull rushers to push olinemen and squeeze a pocket is the best you can do these days. It's dangerous to have someone that can actually make it to the QB anymore

I like football less and less. Used to dream of watching my kids play, now I hope they find something else.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess not trading for Mack is looking like the best move. Load up on large powerful bull rushers to push olinemen and squeeze a pocket is the best you can do these days. It's dangerous to have someone that can actually make it to the QB anymore

I like football less and less. Used to dream of watching my kids play, now I hope they find something else.

I was just coming here to post something very similar. The NFL has basically announced that it's no longer safe to tackle quarterbacks. Paying people whose only job is tackling quarterbacks $10 million a year is like a car dealership keeping a blacksmith on staff at a 6-figure salary.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The league will admit it later this week when they also admit the Kendricks call was wrong, the missed interference call on Graham was wrong and the Adams offensive pass interference was wrong and maybe even the Lane Taylor hold was wrong when the Viking guy just fell to the ground. Maybe there will be some other missed calls for the Vikings I didnt notice. The league grades the games every week. This will be a fun one to see. Will they try to say the Kendricks call was right because it is part of the new rule - hopefully they own up and say it was wrong
Both the Kendricks call and Clay's call were wrong. I have watched both now several times in slow motion and the difference between the two is negligible. Kendricks was hitting Rodgers just as he released and landed almost exactly like Clay did. The NFL needs to clean this crap up.

Reaction score
Thus the reason why they should be reviewed. Now I know some people are going to b*tch about that idea, but if they really want to protect a QB, then review those calls and really determine if first, its was the right call and second, if it was targeting, throw the guy out. I still do not understand why the NCAA has this call down so much better than the NFL?

Had the Clay hit been reviewed, its overturned, very little doubt in my mind.
This would be a good idea if it was limited. IMO on anything 15 yards or greater etc.. ST holding that costs teams 35 yards, scoring plays involving penalties, a play that ends the game etc.. These should be booth reviewed it only takes a couple of minutes.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly what worries me is unintended consequences.

When the kick off was moved up 5 yards, the NFL clearly intended for more touchbacks. While that seems to have happened, there are also a fair number of "pop it up, try to get them to catch it at the 5," which just undoes the intent--more running, more hitting.

At what point will defenders have the mindset of, "If I get there on time, great. I'm a split second to slow, I'm probably going to get a flag anyway. Why should I do anything other than try to tear his head off anyway?"

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When I saw that clip of Daniels not finishing the sack on Cousins because of fear of penalty, that’s when I knew. We are past the glory days of football. I’ll still watch because I’m invested, but I care less. I don’t mind if I miss a game or two here and there. I love good defense, and the NFL clearly doesn’t. It’s sad. Maybe we need rugby?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL wants guys to behave like Mike Daniels it seems. He completely backed off on a very easy sack of Cousins, and the only reason I can think of would be to avoid a call. If we get to a point where this is the norm, I don't know if NFL is something I'll continue to support. It's getting ridiculous, and I wouldn't lose much sleep over waving goodbye to NFL ball for awhile. Basically what Janis just said lol. Typing at same time, but I'm on board.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like janis said, I watch because I am invested. The Packers that's about it. I used to watch everyone I could, so I've changed. I used to never imagine a day where I wouldn't care at all about football. It's not coming next week, but I have thought about it

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm with you guys, besides the owners making way to much money and players being so grossly overpaid, I have gotten tired of the same thing that I saw happen in the NBA. A once fun and exciting team sport turns into egos and individuals along with marketing and over hype. I feel less and less like a fan and more and more like a targeted consumer of a product that is starting to get stale.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you guys, besides the owners making way to much money and players being so grossly overpaid, I have gotten tired of the same thing that I saw happen in the NBA. A once fun and exciting team sport turns into egos and individuals along with marketing and over hype. I feel less and less like a fan and more and more like a targeted consumer of a product that is starting to get stale.

Maybe it's time for 70,000 fans to take a knee at the start of every game. I'm not trying to get political or anything, but maybe it's time for fans to draw a line and say, "this is as far as we go before we get off the bus and start seeking alternate transportation."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Both the Kendricks call and Clay's call were wrong. I have watched both now several times in slow motion and the difference between the two is negligible. Kendricks was hitting Rodgers just as he released and landed almost exactly like Clay did. The NFL needs to clean this crap up.

While I think last year, neither of those sacks are flagged, there is a subtle difference between the 2 and possibly why Kendricks got flagged. Watch at the very end of his sack of Rodgers, watch his feet leave the ground and where he drives his body, squarely into Rodgers chest. This is what the NFL decided they don't want, defenders using leverage and body weight to try and injure the QB. Matthews on the other hand only had his feet come off the ground right at the end as he was trying to steer his body clear of Cousins. Do I expect a ref to notice these things in a split second? No, but if they can't, than let someone upstairs look at it closer.

Side "interest" or point to make on either of the two sacks or any "after the ball is released" roughing the passer call. The "roughing part" had no direct impact on the outcome of the play. I believe if the pass is complete, the 15 yards is tacked on to the end of the play for the offense, why should the defense lose an interception AND also be penalized 15 yards?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
While I think last year, neither of those sacks are flagged, there is a subtle difference between the 2 and possibly why Kendricks got flagged. Watch at the very end of his sack of Rodgers, watch his feet leave the ground and where he drives his body, squarely into Rodgers chest. This is what the NFL decided they don't want, defenders using leverage and body weight to try and injure the QB. Matthews on the other hand only had his feet come off the ground right at the end as he was trying to steer his body clear of Cousins. Do I expect a ref to notice these things in a split second? No, but if they can't, than let someone upstairs look at it closer.

Side "interest" or point to make on either of the two sacks or any "after the ball is released" roughing the passer call. The "roughing part" had no direct impact on the outcome of the play. I believe if the pass is complete, the 15 yards is tacked on to the end of the play for the offense, why should the defense lose an interception AND also be penalized 15 yards?
Well they claim they were called for different reasons. But last year, both would not have been called. Period.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe it's time for 70,000 fans to take a knee at the start of every game. I'm not trying to get political or anything, but maybe it's time for fans to draw a line and say, "this is as far as we go before we get off the bus and start seeking alternate transportation."
Love the idea, but it would probably take more like 7 or 70 Million fans to say "enough is enough". The NFL doesn't care about a small drop in fans, but the advertisers might notice a large ratings drop. :D

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews' hit on the Viking QB, legal or not, was obviously intended as payback.

I don't believe that to be true. Matthews just wanted to make a play to help the Packers win the game.

Frankly, I think this game would be better if the league would revise the playbook to make rules as black and white as possible and get rid of all replay reviews.

I'm fine with teams being allowed to challenge two or three plays per game. It shouldn't be limited to specific ones though.

The "roughing part" had no direct impact on the outcome of the play.

Cousins and the Vikings would most likely disagree with that statement.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews hit had nothing to do with payback, it was a completely normal football play

Members online

Latest posts