Clay Mathews is done.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time to get rid of the offense line, put flags on the QB and make the DL count 5 Mississippis before they can rush and before the QB can scramble. Problem solved.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Frankly, I think this game would be better if the league would revise the playbook to make rules as black and white as possible and get rid of all replay reviews.

Getting rid of replay is never going to happen, nor will making rules black and white. Technology and the internet have put the game under a microscope. The media and fans can now slice, dice and re-fry every single play from multiple angles and speeds and they will continue to do that, with or without replay. Just like the law, there will never be any clear "black and white" in regards to many things in football. Replay isn't going away, but its time the NFL embraces the idea of not having one Ref being judge, jury and executioner on critical and controversial calls.

Why is a replay challenge limited to only certain plays? Open it up to coaches being able to challenge any call, add at least one more challenge. Then if a play like Matthews occurs and the Packers are out of timeouts/challenges, the NFL, media and fans can say "hey, had the Packers made better use of their timeouts/challenges, they probably would have gotten that one reversed and won the game."

D

Deleted member 6794

Why is a replay challenge limited to only certain plays? Open it up to coaches being able to challenge any call, add at least one more challenge. Then if a play like Matthews occurs and the Packers are out of timeouts/challenges, the NFL, media and fans can say "hey, had the Packers made better use of their timeouts/challenges, they probably would have gotten that one reversed and won the game."

I agree that all plays should be reviewable but don't see the need for an additional challenge.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and down and down we go. and they give them 4 challenges, but there are 5 controversial calls. Why the limit? why not 7? why not all of them? why only controversial or game changing ones. A simple 2 yard play can be a game changer in the grand scheme of things.

as the NFL goes with this thing, it doesn't look like they made a mistake, this IS the ******** that is the new rule. I'm all for removing free shots on QBs, especially the cheap *** **** Barr did last year. Why does everyone think it was such a great football play? It's been cheap since the dawn of time. Seriously, forget what you know about the NFL and the history and what was allowed and what is, and tell me what is so great about taking a step and half at someone completely unprotected and hitting them at full speed knowing they don't have the football and then taking 2 more steps with him, again knowing he doesn't have the football and driving him into the ground? what is so great about making a tackle on what amounts to a tackling dummy at that point? WOW, great football play LOL I've made tackles like that since I was 7 and without pads LOL.

But the league has gone far to far with this. Next, you won't be able to come at and angle and swing them down either, because the whipping motion will bounce heads off turf and other linemen standing around. It's going to be a get to the QB and hang on his waist until he throws the ball league.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And to top it off, the league is actually going to double down on this stupidity and use that hit as a teaching tool to show the rest of the teams how it's going to be called?

In the last 5 minutes, I've lost a lot of respect for the NFL that I'll probably never get back.
I’m embarrassed for the NFL and ashamed of those at the top that have made this pronouncement. They’ve tipped the scales way too far here. Some QB’s get hurt mainly because they made a poor decision to hang onto the ball too long. It’s incumbent on offensive coaches to develop schemes and players to protect their franchise QB’s. Changing the tackling rules has reached the point now of threatening the game and league itself. It could be time for teams to run the ball more. I don’t know what the current run/pass play numbers are currently but the more teams pass, the more defenses are going to try and bring QB pressure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO the only reason the NFL is defending the Matthews call is the mere fact that by not, they would be admitting a mistake by a ref cost a team a game. Had the play been reviewed at the time it happened, it most likely gets correctly overturned.

I don't care what rules they make, some I will agree with and some I won't, but the NFL has the right to decide on any rules that they feel improves the game or the safety of it. What I can't stomach is the poor or wrongful interpretation of them by one Referee and the inconsistency of those calls. The only way to try and correct that, besides more clear rules, is via replay.

Open all plays up to being challenged, set a fair number of challenges for each team and let the coaches decide just how worthy using one of those challenges is on any given play.

Both Rodgers and MM are being accused of poor clock and timeout management in the Vikings game. I tend to agree that Rodgers needs to get better at not putting himself in a position to have to burn timeouts just to save 5 yards and McCarthy needs to make sure he has at least one timeout and challenge in his pocket for a possible game deciding challenge.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
When I saw that clip of Daniels not finishing the sack on Cousins because of fear of penalty, that’s when I knew. We are past the glory days of football. I’ll still watch because I’m invested, but I care less. I don’t mind if I miss a game or two here and there. I love good defense, and the NFL clearly doesn’t. It’s sad. Maybe we need rugby?
Totally agree. The rule change and the way it’s being enforced is already altering game outcomes and the situation you mentioned with Daniels is more proof. Will be interesting to see how our coaching staff handles this because it is already having an adverse effect on our defense.

Reaction score
Imagine that call if we were playing in the Super Bowl??
We'd be screwed out of a win for sure.

Please, someone get their act together or I'm watching golf from now on.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the thing. If the NFL wants to protect qbs that is fine. However if tackling a qb has been this big of an issue then they shouldnt allow a qb to throw a ball when he is in the grasp of a defender. If the defender cannot really figure out how to bring a qb to the ground then the qb shouldnt be able to throw when he is being tackled. It is such a competitive disadvantage to the defense right now.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you EVER have anything productive to add to a discussion or are you just content to be the court jester?
Just stating a fact. While Clay wasn’t 74 of 74 bad in the Vikings game he still was far from being good. 2 weeks in a row boneheaded penalties, we can go back and forth all day about the new rules and how they are being inforced but at the end of the day both teams had these new rules effect them. Hopefully after almost costing a win in the bears game and now being the cause of a win turning into a tie clay learns how the rules are and adjusts. Do I think the new rules suck and are wrecking the game, absolutely but every team is governed by the same rules. Bottom line 2 games in clay has not done anything to speak of to be productive and I will not apologize if that upsets you.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time to get rid of the offense line, put flags on the QB and make the DL count 5 Mississippis before they can rush and before the QB can scramble. Problem solved.
Maybe they can make it like basketball, and defenders can only try to get in the QB's face and raise their arms up to try to block a pass. No tackling.

At what point will defenders have the mindset of, "If I get there on time, great. I'm a split second to slow, I'm probably going to get a flag anyway. Why should I do anything other than try to tear his head off anyway?"
Yeah, since they're not allowed to sack the quarterback, they may just go ahead and try to put the guy out of the game. That way they only have to deal with the backup.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just stating a fact. While Clay wasn’t 74 of 74 bad in the Vikings game he still was far from being good. 2 weeks in a row boneheaded penalties, we can go back and forth all day about the new rules and how they are being inforced but at the end of the day both teams had these new rules effect them. Hopefully after almost costing a win in the bears game and now being the cause of a win turning into a tie clay learns how the rules are and adjusts. Do I think the new rules suck and are wrecking the game, absolutely but every team is governed by the same rules. Bottom line 2 games in clay has not done anything to speak of to be productive and I will not apologize if that upsets you.

I get your hatred for Clay, some of it is warranted, but I find it hard to believe you want to hang him for the tie against Minnesota.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe they can make it like basketball, and defenders can only try to get in the QB's face and raise their arms up to try to block a pass. No tackling.

Or change the game all together, each defensive lineman gets a tennis racket. The goal is no longer to knock down the QB, but to knock down the ball. :whistling:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or change the game all together, each defensive lineman gets a tennis racket. The goal is no longer to knock down the QB, but to knock down the ball. :whistling:
I like it, it has that medieval feel to it. Linesmen get to come to the line with weapons. A tennis racket might hurt someone though, maybe give them brooms instead. That would extend their reach. "Illegal sweep to the head. 1o yard penalty. Repeat second down".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

No, you aren't.

No, he wasn't. A misapplication of a stupid rule was the cause.

No, they aren't. There were multiple examples of similar players on Sunday where nothing was called.

No, of course you won't.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I simply want to hear what if anything clay could have done differently that would still taken the qb to the ground

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I simply want to hear what if anything clay could have done differently that would still taken the qb to the ground

The NFL will tell you that he needed to not do a series of things that he in fact did not do but that they would tell you he did do.

In other words, he did everything right, they blew it, they don't want to admit that they blew it, so now they're going to pretend that the play happened differently than it did in reality.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL will tell you that he needed to not do a series of things that he in fact did not do but that they would tell you he did do.

In other words, he did everything right, they blew it, they don't want to admit that they blew it, so now they're going to pretend that the play happened differently than it did in reality.
I'm finding out some inside info. Apparently, the ref is a hillbilly from Tennessee. Watching cousins take a pounding from Clay he had a flashback to his family reunions.

Yes, I am using the same joke again. I think it is that good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm finding out some inside info. Apparently, the ref is a hillbilly from Tennessee. Watching cousins take a pounding from Clay he had a flashback to his family reunions.

Yes, I am using the same joke again. I think it is that good.

All you need is some banjo music and a Pumpkin and you are ready for Vegas!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not wrap his left arm around KC's thigh and lift the leg off of or at least prevent it from reaching the ground. That is the lifting part of the refs and thus the leagues interpretation. Basically dumping him with out bipedal support appeared to be driving him into the ground. The only thing CM could have done would have been to not fall during the tackle.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the NFL said that the fake refs made the correct call on the Fail Mary against the Seahawks (with the caveat that there should have been a pass interference penalty called). If they supported that travesty, they'll support anything. But it was more telling when they brought the real refs back the next week. Right now there are a lot of ticked off Packer fans.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully after almost costing a win in the bears game and now being the cause of a win turning into a tie.

Tony Coretti cause that win to turn into a tie. Tell me ONE thing that Clay could have done differently aside from not tackling at all. The NFL is throwing out this "lifting" nonsense. Nobody, even the vast majority of fans of other teams are buying it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the NFL said that the fake refs made the correct call on the Fail Mary against the Seahawks (with the caveat that there should have been a pass interference penalty called). If they supported that travesty, they'll support anything. But it was more telling when they brought the real refs back the next week. Right now there are a lot of ticked off Packer fans.
I'm sorry, but this was far worse than "Fail Mary" due to the fact that it sets a new standard for what is allowed in hitting the quarterback. BTW, most of the clowns we have officiating today are no better than the fake refs were.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts