Chatman Not Going Away

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many fans, including me, have been looking for someone to beat out Antonio Chatman for the past couple years, but I have to give the guy credit. He just won't go away. As a returner, he's average at best and very well may get beaten out for that spot, but from what I'm hearing so far this camp, he has gained Brett Favre's confidence and has the inside track for the #4 receiver position. I like the idea of having a smaller guy at the #4 spot--like Donald Driver four years ago, when he only weighed in the 170's.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chatman's too small, like "wow he's really, really going to get hurt if he gets hit" small...he doesn't quite have the moves to be a kick returner who's that small

i wish we have a bigger reciever on reserve, terrence murphy, if you remember last year in the playoffs with ferguson gone and walker hurt in that game we had driver and chatman as our two main targets, thats not a lot of height

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a small guy as our go-to receiver. That was attempted with Terry Glenn, and he got the snot knocked out of him on a regular basis. But for a #4 guy, I don't mind having someone smaller. Chatman is seldom (or never?) injured. He knows how to protect himself.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey a small guy is ok with me for a reciever. It will give the offense a different look. And it is not like he is a number 1 or 2 reciever. But he is our 4th reciever, I love it. He is impressive.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really understand the knock on Chatman as a returner. The guy never drops the ball, no matter what the weather conditions! That's huge when you receiving punts in GB or Chicago in December!

He doesn't gain much after the catch, but how many times do you see him work his way around 2 or three guys only to end up gang tackled? That goes to the blocking, not his return abilities. We need to get better blocking and give him a chance. No one could do better back there with the type of blocking we've seen the past couple of years.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree Bobby. The blocking on special teams is atrocious. Give him (or anyone) some room to work and see what happens.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has speed, and I think also that if we got a better special teams unit, for blocking anyway that maybe he could brake a few this year. I think he is definitly the best return man that we have had sense Desmond Howard.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chatman is fine...

Anyone remember 'small' receivers the Packers had?

Desmond Howard, Phillip Epps, Steve Odom... they were all VERY small. They all excelled w/ the Packers for many years

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
I don't really understand the knock on Chatman as a returner. The guy never drops the ball, no matter what the weather conditions! That's huge when you receiving punts in GB or Chicago in December!

thats key, i was thinking the same thing...we could get a rookie who's maybe a little more explosive, but rest assured that will lead to some fumbles...also, yeah, our blocking on special teams sucks, our kickoff coverage on special teams sucks, our punt coverage sucks...see where i'm going

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I think Chatman dances a bit too much, I agree, he seems to never have a chance.

I'm losing some faith in Bonamego right now.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Youse guys have gottin too complacent being satisfied with someone who can catch. In fact, one of his problems is he doesn't make good decisions and calls for a fair catch when he has 10-12 yards of free sailing. I like him,but he needs to get better or we should upgrade. He finished 43rd in the league!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
Although I think Chatman dances a bit too much, I agree, he seems to never have a chance.

Good point, I was happy when we got Bonamego. He has done exceedingly well every place else. Can't figure that one out.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4: The best return man we've had since Desmond Howard was Allen Rossum. It's not even close.

Bobby Roberts: I'm not really knocking Chatman as a returner. I'm just saying he's average at best. It's true that the blocking has been poor, and I would love to see what Chatman (or anyone!) can do for the Packers with some decent blocking. But I still think that if Chatman was a really good return man, he would've found a way to break one by now. He hasn't.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are trying other players out as punt returners, so far nobody has been impressive. They would like Murphy do do the job, but he has been shakey as best. He was kickoff returner in college. Chatman has been very dependable at Wide receiver during training camp. He may still have job as punt returner by default, if the Packers can not find anybody as dependable at catching the ball. Chatman can at least do that!!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
The Packers are trying other players out as punt returners, so far nobody has been impressive. They would like Murphy do do the job, but he has been shakey as best. He was kickoff returner in college. Chatman has been very dependable at Wide receiver during training camp. He may still have job as punt returner by default, if the Packers can not find anybody as dependable at catching the ball. Chatman can at least do that!!

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 4408.shtml

Notebook: Battle is on for return jobs

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

Special teams coordinator John Bonamego said he hasn

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree PWT. I attended training camp last weekend and saw Murphy drop 3 or 4 punts. Not good. :shock:

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, I have never liked the idea of having Fergy return kicks. I, like many here, have long thought that the wear and tear of returning kicks has attributed to his injuries throughout the years.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Kyle said:
Also, I have never liked the idea of having Fergy return kicks. I, like many here, have long thought that the wear and tear of returning kicks has attributed to his injuries throughout the years.

He's good at it, but I think we need someone back there who has that amazing first step of instant speed. Do we even have someone like that on our team?

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fergy's o.k. at it. I can't remember him having an exceptional average or anything. I agree we need someone with a quick first step. I'd like to see some of our DBs get a shot, also, Craig Bragg looked promising at camp in the returning role.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Chatman is going to have no problem beating everyone else out. I think from past years only he has earned his spot.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we could get Fergie off the special teams also. I just don't like putting our 2/3 reciever in harms way that much.

My hope is that Bragg will make a statement and upgrade our 5th reciever, kickoff returns and punt returns. He had a great career at UCLA. :cross:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:

You are dead on with that. I didn't even notice how much Chatman dances around until my dad pointed it out to me. If he didn't do that I think that he would have a better season than what he ever had. I dont remember was Allen Rossum small?

Staff online

Latest posts