Chalk another one up for Ted

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is a hall of famer? what does that mean? It means hes had a hell of a career, he has some insane stats and streaks(like most consecutive starts by a QB). It also means hes older now. His accuracy isnt nearly as good as it was.

Gunslinger + Bad Accuracy = Bad Play

and yes, the oline isnt great, the running game isnt good, and the defense...well...what defense?

but thats THOSE areas, we're talking about Brett, whom I still love and would make out with if he allowed me to.

This is ridiculous.

What were those multiple 300+ yard, 3TD games?

Anomalies?

Yeah, but Favre's "accuracy is gone", if it makes you feel better about the moves made by MM and TT. Right! :rotflmao:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they were seasons of the past, thats what. Why is the concept of time hard to grasp?

And im not happy with a lot of TTs and MMs moves...but...if I disagree with you I must be a TT\MM-Lover no matter what, right?

Sigh....damn shame.

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they were seasons of the past, thats what. Why is the concept of time hard to grasp?

And im not happy with a lot of TTs and MMs moves...but...if I disagree with you I must be a TT\MM-Lover no matter what, right?

Sigh....damn shame.

That's funny. I thought they happened this year?

Anyone?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh those 2 games early on in the season? Yeah, anomaly would describe that well. You know what else helps put that in context:

Detroit Lions\New Orleans Saints

I'd love for Favre to be accurate and make good decisions, but its...just not the way things are anymore. He's not consistently that guy anymore. Yeah he makes some throws that make you go "whoa!" but thats not every throw, quarter, or game. Its becoming a rarity.

but i just hate brett favre with all my soul, so what do i know...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Sigh....damn shame.

That's funny. I thought they happened this year?

Anyone?

Okay okay since I'm a stat geek.

Vs Saints 340 yards 3 TDs 1 INT - LOSS
Vs Lions 340 yards 3 TDs 0 INT - WIN

The only other time Brett chucked it for over 300 yards.

Vs Vikings 347 yards 2 TDs 0 INT - WIN

Doubt me? Source Link

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when do you decide to get off the fence? It took Packers management 5 years to realise that Sherman wasnt the man for the GM's job. And by then, the team was over the cap, 5 drafts had been pretty much squandered and there was very little talent left that the team could afford to retain.

I agree with your status about Sherman but did you ever stop and think that is why Green Bay decided to rebuild. They don't know if Favre will be back next year. He never makes his decision until at least a month after the season has ended. If Favre would make one during the year and tell them he's coming back then perhaps they could load up for one more run. When Favre leaves their is going to be a setback. If this team is in cap mess when he leaves it's only going to make things worse. The cap was awful because Sherman made it that way and it needed to be fixed. The reason why we have money now is because of Ted Thompson parting ways with Darren Sharper and Michael Wahle and going with a youth movement.

You did mention earlier in your post that you would give TT another year or two. Through two drafts, the talent on this team comprises primarily of players not part of those drafts - Favre, Driver, Tauscher, Green(?), Kampman, Jenkins, Williams, Harris, Woodson, Pickett, Barnett. The key additions through the draft have been Hawk, Collins, Poppinga & Jennings, of which only Hawk and Jennings have been special.

The players you named are in their 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th years, and beyond. The younger guys you named are rookies and 2nd year players. Favre was nothing special his rookie season. He was the 3rd stringer down in Atlanta. Driver was our 5th WR and a special teamer. Tauscher started. Kampman was a backup. Jenkins was a backup as well. Green was a backup. Williams another backup. Harris a backup. Woodson was a starter. Pickett was being labeled a bust by some. Barnett played well his rookie year.

That is why people say give them some time. Poppinga has progress every week and their is a good chance one of those 3 lineman end up being as good as Tauscher. They need time though. The others got their time and are contributing well. You look around the league and that’s how it is. Not many 1st and 2nd year players come in and dominate right away. Breakout years are usually in their 3rd or 4th years.

Two years from now its not unimagineable to see a team minus Favre, Green, Harris, Barnett, with Driver and Woodson in the twilight of their careers and a roster yet again full of first and second year players with potential.

Favre, Green, and possibly Harris could be gone. Harris' future will be decided this year. Driver just signed an extension and will be here for a while yet. Woodson could be a cap casualty but there is a good chance he is here. Barnett should be re-signed and if he isn't then that's a huge mistake. He might not of reached his prime yet.

Overall though in two years really only Favre and Green are the good bets to be gone. It's not unimaginable that the rest are here.

Rebuilding is fine as long as there is a clear cut goal and a time frame for achieving it. If not, you could be rebuilding for ever.

I think it's pretty obvious there is a clear cut goal. Thompson wants to build through the Draft. In fact he said just as much. That will take time. He wants to use the free agency to put the team over. All that can realistically be done in the next one or two years.

The problem is his goal isn’t the same as fans. Fans want to use all the money they have and try and buy a championship so Brett Favre can go out on top. The only modern era HOF QB that went out on top is John Elway and Shanahan was given time to do so. Outside of that nobody else really did. So no matter what Favre’ legacy is in tact.

The other problem is the only team to really ever buy a Title in the History of the NFL was the 94 49ers. Outside of that nobody has had success. Ask Dan Snyder every year.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the Payton thing the one thing I will give him props for is for the last few years a lot of people said how good this Saints team was on paper and never played up to it's potential. Sure he picked up some talent but have to still give him credit for making it work as talent on it's own doesn't win games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Back to the Payton thing the one thing I will give him props for is for the last few years a lot of people said how good this Saints team was on paper and never played up to it's potential. Sure he picked up some talent but have to still give him credit for making it work as talent on it's own doesn't win games.

We can really twist this...MM was there helping some of those guys :p

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh some on now.

Ted took a team that had been to the playoffs 4 consecutive years and decided to rebuild.

The Jets and Saints had bad years and turned their fortunes around quickly. There is just no comparison. The experienced coaches in Green Bay were given the boot in favor of unproven rookie coaches.

Some people don't understand fashion. The tried and true is boring.
Changing things around every year gives you another story to tell.

Who knows maybe some day he might get lucky.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is a hall of famer? what does that mean? It means hes had a hell of a career, he has some insane stats and streaks(like most consecutive starts by a QB). It also means hes older now. His accuracy isnt nearly as good as it was.

Gunslinger + Bad Accuracy = Bad Play

and yes, the oline isnt great, the running game isnt good, and the defense...well...what defense?

but thats THOSE areas, we're talking about Brett, whom I still love and would make out with if he allowed me to.

Way to go Trom, yet another chance for you to Rip on Favre, the guy you so love and respect.
TT has come up short in bringing in enough quality players for The Pack to compete with the better teams in the NFL.
Thank goodness MM doesn't think like you. He wants Brett back next year because he knows that with a few more quality players this team has a chance to be a winner, BUT EVEN HE REALIZES HE NEEDS BRETT FAVRE AT QB.
Please one last time,who do you want playing qb for The Packers? Who could lead them to a better record?

I'll be waiting for your answer.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ted took a team that had been to the playoffs 4 consecutive years and decided to rebuild.

The Jets and Saints had bad years and turned their fortunes around quickly. There is just no comparison. The experienced coaches in Green Bay were given the boot in favor of unproven rookie coaches.

Some people don't understand fashion. The tried and true is boring.
Changing things around every year gives you another story to tell.

Who knows maybe some day he might get lucky.

Not the 'Ted inherited a playoff team' argument again. Wasn't this diffused months ago and proven inaccurate? No? We got into the playoffs by a miracle one of the years and the year after we got in because no one in the NFC North was worthy of winning games.

Our last year in the playoffs. Half our games we won that season were won in our division which was the weakest in the NFL!!

By technical terms, we were a playoff team.
By how the term is actually used and meant, I hate to say this, but the Packers were not a playoff team. :(

Our last chance to get anywhere deep in the playoffs was the infamous 4th and 26. I believe that was the year the Vikings choked in the final game of the season to get the Packers the Division Championship!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2001 12-4
2002 12-4
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
Hire TED
2005 4-12
2006 4-8 so far

Zero, you ought to at least admit that the Packers were at least a .500 or above team before TED and have been a league bottom feeder ever since his hiring. The firing of the experience coaching staff was a dumb move. Bringing back the fired Schottenhiemer even dumber.

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was the main reason they got to the playoffs all those years.

Cheez is right.

They were at least a .500 team, and probably better, before Ted totally dismantled them. It's a myth to believe that they had to be totally revamped.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
2001 12-4
2002 12-4
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
Hire TED
2005 4-12
2006 4-8 so far

Zero, you ought to at least admit that the Packers were at least a .500 or above team before TED and have been a league bottom feeder ever since his hiring. The firing of the experience coaching staff was a dumb move. Bringing back the fired Schottenhiemer even dumber.

A lot of the defensive staff was kept. I believe five men were retained.

Yes, we were atleast a .500 team when Ted took over. Playoff team, no. .500 yes!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were at least a .500 team, and probably better, before Ted totally dismantled them. It's a myth to believe that they had to be totally revamped.

Because of the cap room it wasn't a bad idea. The cap was awful when Ted Thompson took over. We were 11 some mil over the cap. I'm not defending TT. He inherited a mess. People can talk about that record all they want but no matter who the GM was 05 was going to be bad.

Now the problems is T.T. might be bringing in a whole different mess or diaster so to speak. After today I've lost a lot of confidence with these players, staff, and front office.

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
2001 12-4
2002 12-4
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
Hire TED
2005 4-12
2006 4-8 so far

Yes, we were atleast a .500 team when Ted took over. Playoff team, no. .500 yes!

So Zero, if TT inherited a .500 team (and I think they were better than that), then don't you think that in 2 years TT should have them better than a .500 by now?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
2001 12-4
2002 12-4
2003 10-6
2004 10-6
Hire TED
2005 4-12
2006 4-8 so far

So Zero, if TT inherited a .500 team (and I think they were better than that), then don't you think that in 2 years TT should have them better than a .500 by now?

It's Ted, not TT. My gosh. I mean, really, you're a TITTIE! :)

Yes, we should be better than what we are. Atleast a .500 team is what I feel we should be. Next season we should be in the hunt for playoffs.

Staff online

Latest posts