Casey Hayward- An In depth look at his rookie season

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Came across this article and thought it was a fair and very in depth look into one of our brightest young players and thought I would forward it on to you guys for discussion.

http://presnapreads.com/2013/05/27/casey-hayward-the-numbers-the-tape-the-verdict/

A few of my own thoughts on the piece:
I was surprised to see the consistency Hayward displayed throughout the year. For a large portion of his snaps he was at least taking care of his assignment. And on a handful of plays his instincts and ball skills actually produced big plays for other guys

Its pretty evident this kid had the luxury of a coaching staff and defensive backfield that had enough talent that it was able to give him loads of favorable match ups and help over the top. This year will be a better measuring stick for his career than the last I imagine. Hopefully they continue integrating him into the defense at a pace that both the team and he is comfortable with.

Countering my last section he did actually do decently well against some big names when asked to. Did OK vs Megatron Reggie Wayne Brandon Marshall

All in all I hope he continues to grow into a fundamental part of this team and can find himself on the Winning side of a superbowl here in GB.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ the only one out of the 3 that you listed that burned us was reggie wayne, he had a damn near career day vs us last season with a rookie tossing him the ball....wayne ended up with 200+ receiving yds that day. Marshalls loud mouth crap talking *** was shut down big time in both games, and megatron faired slightly better but was still shut down for the most part.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll start. It's definitely a good look at Hayward and shows that the author really watched the film. My only critique is that for the most part it glosses over Hayward's mistakes to highlight his good play. They did show a mistake in the Week 9 game against Arizona, but otherwise it was all sunshine and roses. I would have liked to see more analysis of his two worst games which both appeared to come against Detroit.

I like Hayward and think that he's shown a lot of potential. As alluded to, it shows a lot that TT and MM let Woodson go to pave the way for Casey. I'm optimistic

OP
OP
slaughter25

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ the only one out of the 3 that you listed that burned us was reggie wayne, he had a damn near career day vs us last season with a rookie tossing him the ball....wayne ended up with 200+ receiving yds that day. Marshalls loud mouth crap talking *** was shut down big time in both games, and megatron faired slightly better but was still shut down for the most part.

I didnt mean as a team we shut them down. Hell I thought they were going to carry Reggie Wayne straight off the field and into Canton after that game lol. I was just commenting on the authors conclusions about the job Hayward was able to do against them.

OP
OP
slaughter25

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll start. It's definitely a good look at Hayward and shows that the author really watched the film. My only critique is that for the most part it glosses over Hayward's mistakes to highlight his good play. They did show a mistake in the Week 9 game against Arizona, but otherwise it was all sunshine and roses. I would have liked to see more analysis of his two worst games which both appeared to come against Detroit.

I like Hayward and think that he's shown a lot of potential. As alluded to, it shows a lot that TT and MM let Woodson go to pave the way for Casey. I'm optimistic

I'd agree with that. There certainly were more positive plays that the author went into than negatives. I think as a whole that is pretty representative of the season he had. 75% effeciency in coverage. 75% of the article dissecting positive plays.

H

HardRightEdge

That was a very nice piece of work by Mr. Fahey for it's detail and insights.

I think it paints the (accurate) picture of Hayward more as the Woodson successor than as a cover corner. He even threw in the observation that Hayward played a linebacker role on occasion, a Woodson hallmark. He seems to be more instinctual and effective the closer to the line and the middle of the field he gets. That's not to say he wouldn't be decent on the island, but it would seem to play away from his strengths.

Mr. Shields probably sees it the same way when he decided to "hold out" from OTAs.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our CB depth will be better than it is now.
Four quality guys, although House hasn't proven anything yet has he?

H

HardRightEdge

Our CB depth will be better than it is now.
Four quality guys, although House hasn't proven anything yet has he?

House has been a camp star two years running, only to get injured. He's been pretty decent in limited play (AZ last season...okay, it was an inept offense), and is very good on special teams when available, but that's not what you're talking about.

He caught a bad break getting injured at the end of preseason last year. He would have been starting at corner after Bush proved to be inadequate (who would not have predicted the Bush bust; one of those MM head scratchers)...instead Shields stepped in and earned back his spot with an exclamation point.

House has done everything good and right except getting himself hurt two years running...in keeping with the recent Packer theme. And he had surgery in January on the shoulder he hurt last preseason...another yellow flag (or should we say Green and Gold flag?).

If Shields does something stupid like hold out, House will be the newest face we'll have to learn to love. Seriously, he looks to have the right stuff if he can stay healthy. But you're right...he's largely untested.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward definitely showed promise. I look for him to improve and really, the whole secondary has to. House has been injury-prone, but like Mike Neal ... he warrants at least another year and chance to beat the injury bug.

H

HardRightEdge

Hayward definitely showed promise.

He did more than that...he's already one of the best nickel corners in the league. He is the genuine article. His instincts are beyond his years; his ball skills are exceptional.

I don't mean to pick on you, but there seems to be a general perception that nickel corner is some kind of diminished role with the cover corner role a "promotion". I think this is wrong in this defense in today's game.

Woodson was essentially a nickel corner in 2010-2011, with 2010 being the finest defensive season we've seen in Green Bay since Reggie White (Woodson's DOPY in 2009 not withstanding). Once Shields came on the scene, Woodson only played cover corner in base D; Shields took that spot in nickel when the opponent was most likely to throw down the field.

In this defense the opportunities to make plays from the nickel spot, especially in zone D, are abundant for a true football player with outstanding instincts. Hayward has demonstrated he can be that guy.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not picking on me, lol. You're merely adding to the conversation. I agree about Shields - he's a fine player and the fact that he played WR in college, is further testament to the job this coaching staff does, in terms of developing players, especially those who were not drafted.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did more than that...he's already one of the best nickel corners in the league. He is the genuine article. His instincts are beyond his years; his ball skills are exceptional
I'll pick on ya....those are pretty bold statements that he's one of the best, exceptional, etc. Even the article's author pointed out that's it's tough to tell from the film whether his successes were due to his skills and talent or how Capers protected him in coverage. While I agree that Hayward appears to be good, I won't jump on your bandwagon until he proves to be consistent. Tramon had one pretty good season too, and now a lot of folks are dumping on him. One (rookie) season does not make a genuine article.

Flatlander's comment about showing promise seems more realistic.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll pick on ya....those are pretty bold statements that he's one of the best, exceptional, etc. Even the article's author pointed out that's it's tough to tell from the film whether his successes were due to his skills and talent or how Capers protected him in coverage. While I agree that Hayward appears to be good, I won't jump on your bandwagon until he proves to be consistent. Tramon had one pretty good season too, and now a lot of folks are dumping on him. One (rookie) season does not make a genuine article.

Flatlander's comment about showing promise seems more realistic.

Suit yourself. I'm not known for effusive praise and don't make these statements lightly. As noted in the OP link, the key area of question is his off coverage at cover corner. I did not say he was was one of the best cover corners in the league, quite the opposite...he's one of the best nickel corners right now.

As for Williams, his falloff in performance is attributable to injury. If Hayward plays hurt I would expect the same.

Members online

Latest posts