Casey Hayward agrees to deal with Chargers

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Rand Getlin Hayward has signed a three-year contract worth $15.3 million with San Diego.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Hayward. He was a very good slot corner. Hoping Shields, Rollins, and Randall can stay healthy all year. Looks like the coaches have faith in Gunter.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I liked Hayward. He was a very good slot corner. Hoping Shields, Rollins, and Randall can stay healthy all year. Looks like the coaches have faith in Gunter.

Hyde is capable of playing in the slot as well. IMO it was the right decision to move on from Hayward.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde is capable of playing in the slot as well. IMO it was the right decision to move on from Hayward.

I understand why the Packers let him walk. Hayward wasn't very good on the outside and had hamstring issues. I'm not a Hyde fan. He always seems to be a step behind. I'm hoping Goodson learns how to play the position and contributes this year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I understand why the Packers let him walk. Hayward wasn't very good on the outside and had hamstring issues. I'm not a Hyde fan. He always seems to be a step behind. I'm hoping Goodson learns how to play the position and contributes this year.

Hyde regressed in coverage last season, hopefully he will be able to take a step in the right direction again in 2016.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde regressed in coverage last season, hopefully he will be able to take a step in the right direction again in 2016.

Agreed, he definitely regressed in coverage. I like his willingness to play the run, plus he's a great Swiss Army Knife guy. Need somebody to return a punt? Call on Hyde. Need somebody to fill in at safety or corner? Call on Hyde. Just don't leave him out there too long.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That will probably get us a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick in 17

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess I didn't realize the pay difference was that much. Maybe the way we've paid Cobb vs Jordy has messed with my perception of how dbacks should be paid :confused:

Nelson got 4 years, $39M w/ $14.2M guaranteed. Cobb got 4 years, $40M w/ $16M guaranteed. The contracts were pretty comparable.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson got 4 years, $39M w/ $14.2M guaranteed. Cobb got 4 years, $40M w/ $16M guaranteed. The contracts were pretty comparable.

Yeah I gotta be honest, I can't even remember what the point was that I was trying to make or if it even made sense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No big deal I guess since Thompson gets another one of his hyper valued comp picks.
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels, Devon house, Boyd, Richard Rodgers, Abbrederis a few others and a guy that ended up being productive for someone else, we're all comp picks. I'd say they have some value

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wish Hayward the best of luck (with the usual caveat).

H

HardRightEdge

Unfortunately he significantly regressed as a punt returner last season as well.
I started paying close attention to this around mid-season. To my eye, a key factor was simply lack of opportunity due to poor return blocking. Given the significant improvement in kick coverage, one is inclined to believe the special team composition had a greater emphasis on guys who could make tackles at the expense of blocking ability.

There were just a couple of instances where I noticed Hyde opting for the fair catch where there looked to be some room to run, but that's not unusual even among the better returners given the guess work involved. His fair catches last season were 40% of punts fielded. This compares with 31% the previous 2 seasons combined, which amounts to one more FC per 10 punts fielded in 2015, not a particularly meaningful difference in judging any risk aversion, something not uncommon among NFL returners as they solidify their careers as position players.

In short, what I saw was tacklers consistently in his face. A big part of productive punt returning is getting off the dime and into the first move before the threat of initial contact, and I was not seeing those opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.