Capers talks with Kampan

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds positive form both ends. I expect alot of 4-3 with the 3-4 also.

Capers talks to Kampman first
New defensive coordinator Dom Capers said at Fan Fest today that the first player he spoke to after getting hired was Aaron Kampman, who will play outside linebacker in the Packers’ new 3-4 defense.

“He came up to my office,” said Capers. “Aaron being as conscientious as he is, kind of wanted to know what weight you want me at, how this is going to work. We talked and I think Aaron’s excited about it and we’re excited about Aaron.”

Kampman’s playing weight last season was around 265. Capers said he doesn’t have a target weight for him in 2009.

“I told him … don’t get too hung up on the weight,” said Capers. “You know what weight you can move the best and the strength, you have to have strength and movement. You know better than anybody else. For me to sit here and say ‘I want you at this weight’ is wrong.”

Capers said participation in off-season workouts will be important for players attempting to learn the new defense.

“The rules state you have to be flexible,” said Capers. “I do believe this. Players understand the importance of being involved in things. One of the things we’ll try to do as the defensive staff, they’ll see that we don’t want to waste one bit of their time. We don’t want to waste our time. There has to be a sense of purpose to everything we’re doing. That sense of purpose is going to be what we feel gives us the best chance of winning. So we’ll take an organized approach. We have an awful lot of things to teach.

“I think players not here are going to see it’s going to be a big challenge to probably catch up on some things.

“There’s no question there will be an advantage to the guys who are here.”

-- Mike Vandermause, [email protected]

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts