Cap Watch

H

HardRightEdge

With the signings of Cobb, Bulaga and Tolzien, along with the tenders for Barclay, Richardson and Banjo, current cap space is at about $21 mil.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/296012201.html

$2 mil for draftees (after subtracting for the guys they replace), at least $5 mil in reserve, and $1 mil for the eventual upshift from 51 to 53 players leaves about $13 mil in working cap.

At this juncture, the Williams/cover corner situation needs to be resolved one way or the other...either a corner gets signed or the dice are rolled with Hayward.

After that I expect, regrettably, a deal with Raji will follow for reasons noted in another thread.

Then some second line players; some combination of Kuhn, Flynn, Bush, Lattimore, and/or Guion (pending league action) will be looked at. A vet ILB and/or DT remain up in the air, particularly DT with the term of Guion's suspension (and the facts of the case) being at issue.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the signings of Cobb, Bulaga and Tolzien, along with the tenders for Barclay, Richardson and Banjo, current cap space is at about $21 mil.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/296012201.html

$2 mil for draftees (after subtracting for the guys they replace), at least $5 mil in reserve, and $1 mil for the eventual upshift from 51 to 53 players leaves about $13 mil in working cap.

At this juncture, the Williams/cover corner situation needs to be resolved one way or the other...either a corner gets signed or the dice are rolled with Hayward.

After that I expect, regrettably, a deal with Raji will follow for reasons noted in another thread.

Then some second line players; some combination of Kuhn, Flynn, Bush, Lattimore, and/or Guion (pending league action) will be looked at. A vet ILB and/or DT remain up in the air, particularly DT with the term of Guion's suspension (and the facts of the case) being at issue.

I don´t see the Packers bringing back both Raji and Guion as I expect them to either sign a free agent or spend a high draft pick on the position. A veteran free agent ILB signing is a must as the team needs another two or three guys at the position and they won´t be able to add enough impact players within a single draft. I really hope Thompson re-signs Williams (it seems like the Saints want to sign Brandon Browner instead of Williams), otherwise CB becomes an immediate position of need.

I don´t know what will happen to the Packers´ other free agents but I´m convinced Flynn won´t be back after the contract they handed out to Tolzien.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I don´t see the Packers bringing back both Raji and Guion as I expect them to either sign a free agent or spend a high draft pick on the position. A veteran free agent ILB signing is a must as the team needs another two or three guys at the position and they won´t be able to add enough impact players within a single draft. I really hope Thompson re-signs Williams (it seems like the Saints want to sign Brandon Browner instead of Williams), otherwise CB becomes an immediate position of need.

I don´t know what will happen to the Packers´ other free agents but I´m convinced Flynn won´t be back after the contract they handed out to Tolzien.
The Packers had both Raji and Guion under contract last season before Raji's injury. They liked Guion enough to make re-signing him after the season a priority.

Guion would be an adequate rotational option at both NT and base DE, if not the starter at base DE. Jones is not reliable against the run. He'd also be insurance against another Raji motor failure or injury recurrence.

I would not be surprised if they wanted both back in lieu of a FA. Guion's pending suspension and the facts of the case are a big hurdle, however. A 4-gamer might not be a deterrent; 8 games-to-full season would put an end to that speculation.

The return of Guion is doubtful, but I'd not rule it out entirely at this juncture.

I agree that Raji is not enough in the big-body department...there isn't a guy currently on the roster who I'd trust playing nose tackle, and Raji himself can't be trusted.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers had both Raji and Guion under contract last season before Raji's injury. They liked Guion enough to make re-signing him after the season a priority.

Guion would be an adequate rotational option at both NT and base DE, if not the starter at base DE. Jones is not reliable against the run. He'd also be insurance against another Raji motor failure or injury recurrence.

I would not be surprised if they wanted both back in lieu of a FA. Guion's pending suspension and the facts of the case are a big hurdle, however. A 4-gamer might not be a deterrent; 8 games-to-full season would put an end to that speculation.

The return of Guion is doubtful, but I'd not rule it out entirely at this juncture.

I agree that Raji is not enough in the big-body department...there isn't a guy currently on the roster who I'd trust playing nose tackle, and Raji himself can't be trusted.

I would have been OK (not excited) with re-signing Guion after the season but the pending suspension has changed my mind about it. I would prefer to bring in a free agent and use an early draft pick on the position but I can see the Packers take another gamble on Raji with a prove-it deal.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I would have been OK (not excited) with re-signing Guion after the season but the pending suspension has changed my mind about it. I would prefer to bring in a free agent and use an early draft pick on the position but I can see the Packers take another gamble on Raji with a prove-it deal.
Evidently the DA couldn't make a trafficing case. It's still not clear what went on, but it looks like his cash is still in impound.

I suppose it's possible that Guion is a complete off-field idiot, cashing his checks and running around town like Santa giving friends and family slugs of cash and some weed in the bargain.

If you threw out every player who likes to blow weed 1/4 of the guys would be out of the league.

I comes down to the facts of the case and the suspension.

I agree that Guion is not an exciting player. But he's better than what's on the roster in the run game after Daniels.

A FA or a pick is more likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

If you threw out every player who likes to blow weed 1/4 of the guys would be out of the league.

I comes down the facts of the case and the suspension.

I agree that Guion is not an exciting player. But he's better than what's on the roster in the run game after Daniels.

A FA or a pick is more likely.

I don´t want to throw Guion out of the league but I highly doubt the Packers will bring him back if he´s suspended for at least four games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don´t want to throw Guion out of the league but I highly doubt the Packers will bring him back if he´s suspended for at least four games.
If he gets probation Packers will be very ok with bringing him back is word being said

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see GB pick up one of the giant DTs with first round grades. Sheldon, Goldman, Brown or Davis. I didnt do my homework but a few of them were combine beasts.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

If he gets probation Packers will be very ok with bringing him back is word being said
The fact he's in a legal probationary period with his property still in impound implies a guilty plea bargain for...something.

The NFL has suspended players for similar deeds before a legal criminal disposition was still pending. It's hard to believe that with a guilty plea already on the books, even if it was just for dope possession, the NFL won't bench him, perhaps pending some kind of perfunctory league-monitored rehab process.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I would like to see GB pick up one of the giant DTs with first round grades. Sheldon, Goldman, Brown or Davis. I didnt do my homework but a few of them were combine beasts.
Sheldon will be long off the board. I like Goldman a lot. But there's only one #30 pick and there's other holes to fill, with Raji still a possibility even if we don't like the idea.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll be in a pickle and have a huge quandary on our hands if Williams leaves and we don't re-sign Raji and Guion both. We'll have a hole at DT, ILB and CB at that point. I'd rather go into the draft with ILB as high need than all three...

Reaction score

I tend to agree with this since I'm a believer in 'get the big guys early' and there are ILBs that should (touch wood) be on the board at 62 and (possibly) 94 but our draft history at D-Line just makes me sad. I think we need to go with the relatively safe bet of an established pro, given the current state of our D-Line.

D

Deleted member 6794

In addition to Sheldon (as HRE already mentioned) I think Brown will be gone by the time the Packers pick at #30 as well.

We'll be in a pickle and have a huge quandary on our hands if Williams leaves and we don't re-sign Raji and Guion both. We'll have a hole at DT, ILB and CB at that point. I'd rather go into the draft with ILB as high need than all three...

Ideally we address the ILB position with a veteran in free agency as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn....why sign a guy that will most likely go unsigned and available should need arise?

Guion....sign him back at the minimum if we get Raji to resign....otherwise simply let him walk, we can find what he provided elsewhere I feel and I think we may yet in a veteran affordable FA...similar to what I see us doing at ILB. I keep thinking Spikes is a real option for a 2 down LB.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact he's in a legal probationary period with his property still in impound implies a guilty plea bargain for...something.

Not necessarily. Civil forefiture (sp?) laws are nasty. He could go to trial, beat the charges entirely, and potentially still have to sue to get his property back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Civil forefiture (sp?) laws are nasty. He could go to trial, beat the charges entirely, and potentially still have to sue to get his property back.

This is correct depending on the circumstances of the seizure or forefiture of the property.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

From the reports, he's on probation, not out on bond, pending deferred prosecution. It stands to reason he plead guilty to something...one supposes a marijuana misdemeanor or minor felony charge. As for getting his property back, reports have it that he'll be taking that matter to civil court, rather than it being contingent on being exoneration of criminal charges.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was ready to let Williamd, or Sheilds walk after Haywards rookie year. Luckily GB brass were patient, because Hayward didnt hardly play year 2, and took a while to get back u to speed... But I think this young man can be very good with some reps. Williams is gone. But I think this decision was made 2 years ago, and we cant turn back now. Hayward is #2 CB. Which leads me to believe we will be drafting a couple CBs early.

The ILB position doesnt bother me because we have a ton of LBs on the roster. We moved Mathews inside, and all of a sudden we are a better defense? I said they should do this (before we had to do it), because we have OLB studs stacked. Along with mediocre ILB starters. Still the case... Move Mathews inside. Peppers, Perry,Neal,Elliot, maybe Mulumba, hold the outside. Between Barrington, Bradford, Francis, Hubbard, Palmer, Thomas, we cant find someone who can play ILB? and a back up or two? I am not saying we dont add a ILB or even 2. But unless a true stud lands in our lap early, a mid and late round ILB would add to a diverse group. And all figured in we would be fine.

We still have Guion and Raji as options... But one of them and a new stud at #30 would be better in my mind. Add some new blood to the young core group. Give Daniels, Jones, and Boyd a Nose. Not even against both Raji, Guion, and #30. Just because I like Guion and want to see if Raji can dominate like I always knew he could.

D

Deleted member 6794

The ILB position doesnt bother me because we have a ton of LBs on the roster. We moved Mathews inside, and all of a sudden we are a better defense? I said they should do this (before we had to do it), because we have OLB studs stacked. Along with mediocre ILB starters. Still the case... Move Mathews inside. Peppers, Perry,Neal,Elliot, maybe Mulumba, hold the outside. Between Barrington, Bradford, Francis, Hubbard, Palmer, Thomas, we cant find someone who can play ILB? and a back up or two? I am not saying we dont add a ILB or even 2. But unless a true stud lands in our lap early, a mid and late round ILB would add to a diverse group. And all figured in we would be fine.

The ILB position is a complete mess. Barrington is the only player on the roster who has played a single regular season snap at the position.

If one of the other guys you mentioned (once again, Hubbard is an OLB) would be a sure thing McCarthy would have played them last season.

Moving Matthews inside permanently os nothing the Packers will consider and it's not the solution to addressing the position.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny. thats what everyone said last year when I said we should slide Mathews over inside, and put our more tallented OLBs on the field... And I know Hubbard is a OLB. Like Cullen Jenkins was a #5 DT, before he became a #1 DE. Peppers, Mathews, Perry, Neal, Elliot, Mulumba, #7OLB Hubbard better learn to diversify his options:) But seriously. Why not put a 260 pound guy in the middle? Considering we need help with the run, it could be very helpful in more ways than one. Im just saying in general. with the dozen LBs we have, we should be able to make ends meet.

I still think Mathews was great inside... Closer to the ball.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's worth noting that the draft this year is loaded with edge rushers. It's possible that they might consider targeting one of them early and move Matthews inside permanently. It's a pretty drastic strategy and one that I doubt they would employ, but after seeing Matthews play more inside last year than I ever thought he would, it's worth at least mentioning.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's worth noting that the draft this year is loaded with edge rushers. It's possible that they might consider targeting one of them early and move Matthews inside permanently. It's a pretty drastic strategy and one that I doubt they would employ, but after seeing Matthews play more inside last year than I ever thought he would, it's worth at least mentioning.
I thought it would be nice to get a pass rusher. We could use a big time break out OLB to replace Peppers when he decides to hang up the cleats. Perry and Neal have potential, and show flashes... but should have broke out by now. But we are already too stacked at OLB to draft one? Bull! Draft the pass rushing talent, and put them on the field. Half dozen years ago when I said we should draft nothing but LTs because they are the best athletes... (we had just gotten handled by the Giants D-line in the Ice Bowl)People thought I was nuts expecting guys to play out of position. Its exactly what GB brass started doing. And until Lindsleys corn fed hind quarters came to town, all we drafted was LTs, and converted them into what we needed... We have a ship load of big fast strong OLBs on the roster. Already sucessfully turned a 30something Peppers into a OLB after a decade of knuckles in the dirt. And Mathews into a ILB. Draft the best athletes and keep the ones who can adapt IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Funny. thats what everyone said last year when I said we should slide Mathews over inside, and put our more tallented OLBs on the field... And I know Hubbard is a OLB. Like Cullen Jenkins was a #5 DT, before he became a #1 DE. Peppers, Mathews, Perry, Neal, Elliot, Mulumba, #7OLB Hubbard better learn to diversify his options:) But seriously. Why not put a 260 pound guy in the middle? Considering we need help with the run, it could be very helpful in more ways than one. Im just saying in general. with the dozen LBs we have, we should be able to make ends meet.

I still think Mathews was great inside... Closer to the ball.

You assume that because it worked moving our best defensive player inside it will turn out the same way with everybody else on the roster as well. Brad Jones and Jamari Lattimore both started their careers playing OLB as well, obviously they didn´t make enough of an impact inside.

The Packers would be able to get two or three decent true ILBs for the money they pay to Matthews. While I can see the team lining up Matthews inside from time to time there´s no way he´ll move there permanently.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we disagree on that point. I'm fine with Matthews playing wherever they put him. He had a very productive season last year being moved around and our overall defense improved too. If by moving him we can fill a hole and get our best defenders on the field, I say go for it. I think best case scenario, we get a good ILB in the draft, but should we get DT/NT and DB's and maybe some more OLB prospects, i wouldn't hesitate to keep him between the 2 positions again like last year. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all to see more OLB prospects picked up than ILB just because of the need in a 3-4 overall, Peppers, Neal and Perry all may or may not be here much longer, and ILB doesn't seem to be a real strength of the draft this year. At least according to what other people write.

I think moving him makes more sense though. If it came down to a starting cover corner or a starting ILB in round 1, i'm taking the cover corner. Because I know we can still get 3 good OLB's on the field in Peppers, Neal and Perry. Having another ILB and having Matthews on the outside is nice, but it puts a good player on the bench again. There is no ILB in this draft that I'd have confidence to play the position like Matthews was able to last year. and I'd rather have our good OLB's on the field with Matthews in the middle and good cover corner out there, than a different ILB and no cover corner our there.

D

Deleted member 6794

we disagree on that point. I'm fine with Matthews playing wherever they put him. He had a very productive season last year being moved around and our overall defense improved too. If by moving him we can fill a hole and get our best defenders on the field, I say go for it. I think best case scenario, we get a good ILB in the draft, but should we get DT/NT and DB's and maybe some more OLB prospects, i wouldn't hesitate to keep him between the 2 positions again like last year. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all to see more OLB prospects picked up than ILB just because of the need in a 3-4 overall, Peppers, Neal and Perry all may or may not be here much longer, and ILB doesn't seem to be a real strength of the draft this year. At least according to what other people write.

I think moving him makes more sense though. If it came down to a starting cover corner or a starting ILB in round 1, i'm taking the cover corner. Because I know we can still get 3 good OLB's on the field in Peppers, Neal and Perry. Having another ILB and having Matthews on the outside is nice, but it puts a good player on the bench again. There is no ILB in this draft that I'd have confidence to play the position like Matthews was able to last year. and I'd rather have our good OLB's on the field with Matthews in the middle and good cover corner out there, than a different ILB and no cover corner our there.

McCarthy already mentioned that the team will continue to play Matthews inside. While the move improved the Packers defense in 2014 having two reliable ILB would make the defense that much better and Clay could do what he´s best at and paid for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts