Can anyone answer this??

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the point of staying 20 million under the cap yr after yr? It's not Teddys money to spend or keep so why is this a constant. I'm sure lots of free agents would want to play with Aaron Rodgers and have a legit chance at a SB ring. This team is no where near cap hell so hold on to all this extra money?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
What's the point of staying 20 million under the cap yr after yr? It's not Teddys money to spend or keep so why is this a constant. I'm sure lots of free agents would want to play with Aaron Rodgers and have a legit chance at a SB ring. This team is no where near cap hell so hold on to all this extra money?
Excellent Avatar photo, rodell.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't remember even one season that we were close to 20 million under the cap. Anyone else out there that can produce this info?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember even one season that we were close to 20 million under the cap. Anyone else out there that can produce this info?

Pretty sure he was using hyperbole to highlight his point. I think he was looking for a response to the spirit of his comment, not the literal statement. I mean, for the point he's trying to make, does it really matter if a team is $13,249,623 under the cap vs $20,000,000 under the cap? Either way there is room to sign players.

Mind you, I'm not necessarily agreeing, I don't think money should be spent just to spend money, but rather than take the conversation onto a weird tangent of specific dollar amounts, perhaps we could focus on the idea brought up in the discussion?

My response is that the team generally likes to sign their own players and so keeps room in reserve to sign guys during the season. However, if certain needs on the team remain year after year after year after year, then perhaps spending some money on higher level free agents might make sense (mainly looking at OLB and dline here).

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spotrac let's you see all pertinent info. for whatever year(s) you choose.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

TT generally "likes" to keep $6-$9Mill available at the start of the season for signing injury-replacement players. Whatever doesn't get spent through0ut the season gets rolled. '15 cap rolled into '16 was $6.9Mil.

Tough decisions will need to be made this off season as the cap will be considerably tighter than we're used to :(.

The amount of cap on IR every year is more than I would have thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure he was using hyperbole to highlight his point. I think he was looking for a response to the spirit of his comment, not the literal statement. I mean, for the point he's trying to make, does it really matter if a team is $13,249,623 under the cap vs $20,000,000 under the cap? Either way there is room to sign players.

Mind you, I'm not necessarily agreeing, I don't think money should be spent just to spend money, but rather than take the conversation onto a weird tangent of specific dollar amounts, perhaps we could focus on the idea brought up in the discussion?

My response is that the team generally likes to sign their own players and so keeps room in reserve to sign guys during the season. However, if certain needs on the team remain year after year after year after year, then perhaps spending some money on higher level free agents might make sense (mainly looking at OLB and dline here).

Thank you for saving me some work. I did throw that number out just to highlight my point. I know this year we are $8,997,328 under the cap. I'm not saying go around and blow all the money but you can take about 2-4 mil of that and "rent" a very solid player for a yr. Still under the cap. I know Teddy likes to sign guys to the practice squad but that doesn't really put a dent in the money that's left.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spotrac let's you see all pertinent info. for whatever year(s) you choose.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

TT generally "likes" to keep $6-$9Mill available at the start of the season for signing injury-replacement players. Whatever doesn't get spent through0ut the season gets rolled. '15 cap rolled into '16 was $6.9Mil.

Tough decisions will need to be made this off season as the cap will be considerably tighter than we're used to :(.

The amount of cap on IR every year is more than I would have thought.

Wasn't the cap projected to rise by $10mn this upcoming offseason?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for saving me some work. I did throw that number out just to highlight my point. I know this year we are $8,997,328 under the cap. I'm not saying go around and blow all the money but you can take about 2-4 mil of that and "rent" a very solid player for a yr. Still under the cap. I know Teddy likes to sign guys to the practice squad but that doesn't really put a dent in the money that's left.
In the past he has often extended contracts during or before the season to get some guys they want to keep locked into contracts so they don't the expensive free agent market. I expected Tretter to be the next one but that has not happened. We have a bunch of guys with expiring contracts so it's hard to tell what the thought process is inside 1265 Lombardi.

NYPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap space does roll forward into the next year now up to a point, so there's that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap space does roll forward into the next year now up to a point, so there's that.

True, but I think some of the frustration comes from not using what's carried forward. Basically, if they have $10 mil extra this year, and keep $10 mil next year, etc., they've cut that $10 mil out of the budget. Carry it this year, spend it next year, reload the next year, would make it easier to digest.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past he has often extended contracts during or before the season to get some guys they want to keep locked into contracts so they don't the expensive free agent market. I expected Tretter to be the next one but that has not happened. We have a bunch of guys with expiring contracts so it's hard to tell what the thought process is inside 1265 Lombardi.

Idk but I hear Ball is just as frugal as Ted...so it's probably a pretty boring conversation.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but I think some of the frustration comes from not using what's carried forward. Basically, if they have $10 mil extra this year, and keep $10 mil next year, etc., they've cut that $10 mil out of the budget. Carry it this year, spend it next year, reload the next year, would make it easier to digest.
True, but just imagine, if we save that cap money every year and roll it into the next year.............eventually we will be able to afford the best players in the league at every position! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, you need to keep some in reserve, or you're cutting and restructuring last second deals to cover for injury replacements and things that can and do happen regularly in the regular season in any given year. Maybe not 9 million, but then in April or earlier you must ID those guys you will need and sign then and still leave some replacement for the season. Sometimes spending money just to spend money isn't a good idea either.

But by this time in the season, there aren't many people left to sign and it's not wise to ************** early if you plan on still playing ball late in the season.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the season ends TT may be working on using some of '16's cap by re-signing:
- 29 yr. olds T.J. Lang and Jared Cook (3 yr. deals?)
- 26 yr. olds Nick Perry, Christine Michael and maybe Datone Jones
- 25 yr. olds Micah Hyde, J.C. Tretter
- 32 yr. old Brett Goode

I didn't include Peppers, Barclay or Lacy because I don't think TT will re-sign them.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the season ends TT may be working on using some of '16's cap by re-signing:
- 29 yr. olds T.J. Lang and Jared Cook (3 yr. deals?)
- 26 yr. olds Nick Perry, Christine Michael and maybe Datone Jones
- 25 yr. olds Micah Hyde, J.C. Tretter
- 32 yr. old Brett Goode

I didn't include Peppers, Barclay or Lacy because I don't think TT will re-sign them.

No to Micah Hyde and Dhaytone Jones. Unless they don't plan on drafting any more corners there is no need to retain him. Jones production can easily be replaced with Fackrell

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

But by rolling forward every year about the same amount, he is basically spending the entire cap every year. Think of it as spending your entire paycheck every year but never increasing or spending your savings account. The excess rolled forward year after year is a rainy day fund.

Members online

Latest posts