Callahan this preseason Star.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there it is. Romo has a broken bone in his back. Who knows when he'll be back to 100%. Dallas will be in the market for a QB now. Dallas will keep 3.

Someone will scoop Callahan up with the damn quickness if we try PSing him.

Dallas needs a QB right now !

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas needs a QB right now !

Honestly, I'm impressed in what I see with Dak Prescott. He'll be their starter going forward.

Sadly, we might have seen the last of Tony Romo. I'd retire if I was him. Hes going to be in a world of hurt and back pain when he reaches his mid/late 40s.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One has nothing to do with the other. But that is a typical Packer fan response. Because my team never won the the Super Bowl I couldn't possibly know crap about football.

If you honestly think another 8-7-1 season can win the division this year I want some of what you are smoking. Packers went what was that, oh yeah, 2-4 with Rodgers out. That's impressive.

Yes, we get it. The Packers are not as good without Aaron Rodgers. Thank you for stopping by
and enlightening us. I find it ironic though that a Vikings' fan is preaching about the dangers
of basing a team's hopes on an elite quarterback when you have an empty trophy case and have
lacked consistent elite quarterback play for most of your teams existence.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yes, we get it. The Packers are not as good without Aaron Rodgers. Thank you for stopping by
and enlightening us. I find it ironic though that a Vikings' fan is preaching about the dangers
of basing a team's hopes on an elite quarterback when you have an empty trophy case and have
lacked consistent elite quarterback play for most of your teams existence.
Any team with an Elite QB will most not likely make it to the playoffs if that player goes down. Except New England. Because Brady really isn't elite. Hell, most teams won't have a winning season without their starting QB.

And I have no idea what the lack of a trophy has to do with football knowledge.

The Packers got lucky with having two good QB's in a row. It would be remarkably lucky to have a third.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any team with an Elite QB will most not likely make it to the playoffs if that player goes down. Except New England. Because Brady really isn't elite. Hell, most teams won't have a winning season without their starting QB.

And I have no idea what the lack of a trophy has to do with football knowledge.

The Packers got lucky with having two good QB's in a row. It would be remarkably lucky to have a third.
Maybe if God becomes a Vikings fan you'll get lucky and draft 1. A blind squirrel has to find a nut sometime.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hundley isn't healthy for the start of the regular season is the team confident entering the season with a rookie out of Division III as Rodgers' backup in week 1 at Jacksonville???
Yes.

I've seen enough from Callahan to not be worried. He's Brett Favre-ish to me in terms of style, high-risk/high-reward. His escapability, arm strength, and heart speak many more volumes than the school that he played at. I definitely need to see more from Callahan to be confident, but I'm not sure either backup stands out over the other. Both have undeveloped talent and a lot to learn. Neither would be a proper replacement for Rodgers right now, but both have what it takes to be Rodgers replacement in a few years if something bad happened.

I understand your point that he has virtually no time in our offense compared to Hundley, but I think it wouldn't take a full season for Callahan to figure it out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Apparently you forgot about the 2013 Packer season where Rodgers missed half of the season
and the Packers still won the division and made the playoffs.

The Packers went 2-5-1 without Rodgers during the 2013 season and it took a total breakdown by the Lions and Bears to make it to the playoffs. If #12 goes down for an extended period of time the team isn't built to be successful with another quarterback starting.

Any team with an Elite QB will most not likely make it to the playoffs if that player goes down. Except New England. Because Brady really isn't elite.

Remember that while the Patriots went 11-5 with Cassel starting in 2008 even they didn't make the playoffs.

I've seen enough from Callahan to not be worried. He's Brett Favre-ish to me in terms of style, high-risk/high-reward. His escapability, arm strength, and heart speak many more volumes than the school that he played at. I definitely need to see more from Callahan to be confident, but I'm not sure either backup stands out over the other. Both have undeveloped talent and a lot to learn. Neither would be a proper replacement for Rodgers right now, but both have what it takes to be Rodgers replacement in a few years if something bad happened.

I understand your point that he has virtually no time in our offense compared to Hundley, but I think it wouldn't take a full season for Callahan to figure it out.

I'm impressed with the way Callahan has played during the preseason so far as well and Rodgers has on several occasions referred to him as a gamer.

The regular season is a whole different animal though and I'm not convinced I would feel comfortable abiut Callahan being one hit away from being the Packers starting quarterback.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers went 2-5-1 without Rodgers during the 2013 season and it took a total breakdown by the Lions and Bears to make it to the playoffs. If #12 goes down for an extended period of time the team isn't built to be successful with another quarterback starting.

Remember that while the Patriots went 11-5 with Cassel starting in 2008 even they didn't make the playoffs.

I'm impressed with the way Callahan has played during the preseason so far as well and Rodgers has on several occasions referred to him as a gamer.

The regular season is a whole different animal though and I'm not convinced I would feel comfortable abiut Callahan being one hit away from being the Packers starting quarterback.
It would be cheaper to go with Callahan as backup than bring in a free agent to backup Rodgers up while Hundley is out nursing his ankle.

D

Deleted member 6794

It would be cheaper to go with Callahan as backup than bring in a free agent to backup Rodgers up while Hundley is out nursing his ankle.

I'm quite sure the Packers would be able to sign Matt Flynn to a minimum contract to fill in as an emergency backup. With the league's veteran minimum benefit the additional cap hit would be insignificant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm quite the Packers would be able to sign Matt Flynn to a minimum contract to fill in as an emergency backup. With the league's veteran minimum benefit the additional cap hit would be insignificant.
So you'd sign Flynn, who'd be third on the depth chart and hasn't been in anyone's camp this preseason AFAIK, assume he's in condition to play on day one, and take the season long salary hit since he's a vet on the roster for the first game. Only to probably cut him when you need the roster spot, most likely for Pennel and Goodson's returns from suspension four games in. All because you don't want to trust a balky ankle on your preferred backup and the well playing rookie QB from training camp is, well, just a rookie?

D

Deleted member 6794

So you'd sign Flynn, who'd be third on the depth chart and hasn't been in anyone's camp this preseason AFAIK, assume he's in condition to play on day one, and take the season long salary hit since he's a vet on the roster for the first game. Only to probably cut him when you need the roster spot, most likely for Pennel and Goodson's returns from suspension four games in. All because you don't want to trust a balky ankle on your preferred backup and the well playing rookie QB from training camp is, well, just a rookie?

I would really appreciate if you and others would actually read my posts. I mentioned Flynn as a possible emergency backup cause he's damiliar with the offense the Packers are running but didn't suggest it would be my preferred option.

Truth to be told currently I have no idea which way I would be leaning if Hundley isn't healthy by the start of the season. Callahan has been impressive in preseason but it's a huge step from playing in a regular season game in the NFL.

The coaching staff would have an extremely tough decision to make in this case.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate if you and others would actually read my posts. I mentioned Flynn as a possible emergency backup cause he's damiliar with the offense the Packers are running but didn't suggest it would be my preferred option.

Truth to be told currently I have no idea which way I would be leaning if Hundley isn't healthy by the start of the season. Callahan has been impressive in preseason but it's a huge step from playing in a regular season game in the NFL.

The coaching staff would have an extremely tough decision to make in this case.
I did read it and I was pointing out all the reasons I could think of as to why Flynn would not be a good short term option, emergency or not, over Callahan. I agree it would be a tough call but it would all depend on the extent of the ankle sprain and the expected recovery time. Ankle sprains can be notorious for lasting much longer than it seems they should. If Hundley were to be IR'd for half the season, then Flynn becomes a viable marginal option.

D

Deleted member 6794

I did read it and I was pointing out all the reasons I could think of as to why Flynn would not be a good short term option, emergency or not, over Callahan. I agree it would be a tough call but it would all depend on the extent of the ankle sprain and the expected recovery time. Ankle sprains can be notorious for lasting much longer than it seems they should. If Hundley were to be IR'd for half the season, then Flynn becomes a viable marginal option.

Hundley's injury is concerning cause he immediately reaggrevated it once he returned from the original one.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Because my team never won the the Super Bowl I couldn't possibly know crap about football.

We know THAT isn't the case, Raptor. Guys, not all Vikings fans are "cyber-Viking fans" the likes of which we see on ProFootballTalk ... come to think of it, the "cyber-Packers fans" there kinda suck too. Raptor is one of the good guys...the Vike fans who have been fans of the team for a long time. He came here and took our guff when the Vikes weren't even competitive.

Seriously, Raptor will always back his delusional Viking fandom with some sort of delusional supporting affirmative defense. ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Matt Flynn's last hurrah with the Packers, he didn't look like the QB we all remembered. I'd go with a rookie with more upside than the guy who's been at home enjoying the NFL after-life.

D

Deleted member 6794

In Matt Flynn's last hurrah with the Packers, he didn't look like the QB we all remembered. I'd go with a rookie with more upside than the guy who's been at home enjoying the NFL after-life.

Flynn played pretty well for a midseason addition in 2013 winning two of four starts and rallying the team for another tie.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brett Hundley returned to practice today as well. Hood sign that he will be ready for the start of the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Callahan has been impressive and could end up being a starter in the NFL some day. However, I seriously doubt any team would view him as an immediate starter or back-up this year, including the Packers. As long as Hundley is healthy and the staff is confident he can play if AR goes down, there is no reason to keep Callahan on the active 53. If Rodgers retires early or has a career ending injury, Hundley appears to be the future QB of the Packers, which IMO was why he was protected on the final 53 last year.

I would roll the dice in favor of being deeper at another position/special teams and hope to stash Callahan on the PS. But even on the PS, with Rodgers and Hundley ahead of him, what exactly are the Packers plans for Callahan?

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan will be claimed ASAP if we try putting him on the PS because teams out there still need good backup QB's. I think we keep 3 QB's this year. Nothing wrong with that.
I don't think so he has been successful for gb I don't think anyone would take him but sign him to there practice squad

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd guess it's like most PS guys. Depth for injuries, camp competition next season, trade bait during camp.

Having a quality #3 QB is a good problem to have, just a difficult decision to spend a roster spot on protecting them when you have AR at 32 years old and possibly at least 5 seasons left and then Brett Hundley backing him up. If AR sticks around for another 5 seasons, I don't see Hundley and Callahan both still being in GB at that time, so the best you could hope for is developing both of them and as you said, trading one. If Callahan keeps getting better, the PS won't be an option (to keep him safe) after this year, so both will have to be on the 53 and then you still face the decision of what to do when their rookie contracts are up.

My gut this year is trying to stash Callahan on the PS. If AR gets hurt, you sign a Vet to back up Hundley. Guessing this is similar to the decision they had to make last year with Hundley, but at that time it was pretty obvious Tolzien was only going to be around for 1 more year and I think Hundley would have been more in demand by other teams.

It will be interesting to see how much Callahan plays against the Chiefs on Thursday. If he happens to play lights out, the Packers may force their own hand and have to put him on the 53.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts