Callahan this preseason Star.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out of all players for the packers Joe Callahan has been the standout of the group. Even when he was against 1st team Defense he seemed capable of moving the team. His uncanny sense of pressure in the pocket combined with his scrambling ability is fun to watch and very impressive overall. He may not be a big boy but he can sure launch the ball on the run accurately downfield. It would be a shame if he doesn't stay in Greenbay and go through MM QB school. He is an intriguing project. I was first posting Williams as the prospect to watch at QB. Others on the site tols me Callahan was better prospect. I didn't agree then thinking Williams threat with his legs and rocket arm was better. We all know now that Callahan is a more polished prospect who is very fun to watch.

D

Deleted member 6794

Out of all players for the packers Joe Callahan has been the standout of the group. Even when he was against 1st team Defense he seemed capable of moving the team. His uncanny sense of pressure in the pocket combined with his scrambling ability is fun to watch and very impressive overall. He may not be a big boy but he can sure launch the ball on the run accurately downfield. It would be a shame if he doesn't stay in Greenbay and go through MM QB school. He is an intriguing project. I was first posting Williams as the prospect to watch at QB. Others on the site tols me Callahan was better prospect. I didn't agree then thinking Williams threat with his legs and rocket arm was better. We all know now that Callahan is a more polished prospect who is very fun to watch.

Callahan, having played in Division III, has been surprisingly productive during the preseason so far. He's far from being ready to play in an NFL regular season game though. I fully expect the Packers to sign him to the practice squad to further develop him.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan looks like a keeper. The throw to Adams at the goal line (dropped) was particularly impressive to me.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan, having played in Division III, has been surprisingly productive during the preseason so far. He's far from being ready to play in an NFL regular season game though. I fully expect the Packers to sign him to the practice squad to further develop him.

Yes, a good practice squad prospect since the Packers usually do not keep 3 QB's on the 53 roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be interesting. Every time I watch this kid, I think man, everyone is ******* him for practice squad, and he's 1000X's what our first off the bench back up used to be. Besides Hundley, he's easily outplayd Brohm, Harrell, Vince Young, BJ Coleman. Tolzien held his own too, but man those were some lean years. I see this kid playing and I'm wondering how he makes it to our practice squad and doesn't get picked up by someone else. Maybe those other backups have me thinking others view him more highly than I do.

Not that I think he's a starter yet, clearly has a lot to learn, but he's outperforming a lot of guys that have played NFL games for a lot of teams. I hope we can keep him around for a few years. I think it would be best for him and us, but there are a lot of teams looking to add qb's to the roster, not the practice squad. Could be interesting

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, a good practice squad prospect since the Packers usually do not keep 3 QB's on the 53 roster.

The Packers have kept three quarterbacks on the active roster in the past.

I see this kid playing and I'm wondering how he makes it to our practice squad and doesn't get picked up by someone else.

I might be wrong about it but I don't see another team picking Callahan up from the Packers practice squad. With training camp having ended at that point there's close to no chance to develop him in a system he has no knowledge of during the season.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan will be claimed ASAP if we try putting him on the PS because teams out there still need good backup QB's. I think we keep 3 QB's this year. Nothing wrong with that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I might be wrong about it but I don't see another team picking Callahan up from the Packers practice squad. With training camp having ended at that point there's close to no chance to develop him in a system he has no knowledge of during the season.
I go back and forth. on one hand, he has missed out on valuable reps in someone else's system, so he'd have little value to them during the season, but on the other, he's learning the complex one in GB despite coming from a DIII school and he seems to learn from week to week with his experience. Even Brohm was picked up from our PS, though he had more college hype too.

But I go back and forth. He's a kid I like to root for, that's all I know. Gets out there and plays and learns, and plays more. He's taken advantage of every chance he's gotten. It only takes one other team to like that quality too, and he'd be gone, if he wants to be on the active roster over our PS.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Nah, Cowboys will be needing a QB by week 3. :)

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be very unwise to not keep Callahan. At this point I feel like has showed just as much as Hundley. We don't know what Hundley would be like in a real game. If the Packers didn't learn anything a few years back about not having a suitable back up at qb. Then shame on them. Keep in mind,whether minor or not. Rodgers has been hurt the last few years.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably have had 3 Qb's at some times......Only Rodgers and Hundley last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I go back and forth. on one hand, he has missed out on valuable reps in someone else's system, so he'd have little value to them during the season, but on the other, he's learning the complex one in GB despite coming from a DIII school and he seems to learn from week to week with his experience. Even Brohm was picked up from our PS, though he had more college hype too.

But I go back and forth. He's a kid I like to root for, that's all I know. Gets out there and plays and learns, and plays more. He's taken advantage of every chance he's gotten. It only takes one other team to like that quality too, and he'd be gone, if he wants to be on the active roster over our PS.

The Packers might have an even more important decision to make with Callahan though than deciding to keep him on the roster or stash him on the practice squad. If Hundley isn't healthy for the start of the regular season is the team confident entering the season with a rookie out of Division III as Rodgers' backup in week 1 at Jacksonville???

Probably have had 3 Qb's at some times......Only Rodgers and Hundley last year.

The Packers had three quarterbacks on the roster last season in Rodgers, Tolzien and Hundley.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, Cowboys will be needing a QB by week 3. :)

And there it is. Romo has a broken bone in his back. Who knows when he'll be back to 100%. Dallas will be in the market for a QB now. Dallas will keep 3.

Someone will scoop Callahan up with the damn quickness if we try PSing him.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Although after watching the kid play last night, I think if he were to practice full time with the ones he would do a good enough job that the Packers could at least pull off a winning season. He may not ever make it as a full time starter but I think he is good enough to be a journeyman back-up at the least.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although after watching the kid play last night, I think if he were to practice full time with the ones he would do a good enough job that the Packers could at least pull off a winning season. He may not ever make it as a full time starter but I think he is good enough to be a journeyman back-up at the least.
I would take him as my backup before some of the other #2s in the league, not many but there are a few that don't deserve to make teams. This kid has a bright future imo

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed! Reminds me a little of Matt Flynn in that respect. Callahan seems to have very good pocket awareness and he's accurate when he throws on the run.

funny you bring up Flynn. His former school will play the Badgers. Can't wait to see that one!

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers goes down the Packers season is over. That is all there is to it. Sorry, live by the elite QB, die by the elite QB.

Apparently you forgot about the 2013 Packer season where Rodgers missed half of the season
and the Packers still won the division and made the playoffs.

Remind me again how many elite quarterbacks the Vikings have had and how many
championships they have won?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Apparently you forgot about the 2013 Packer season where Rodgers missed half of the season
and the Packers still won the division and made the playoffs.

Remind me again how many elite quarterbacks the Vikings have had and how many
championships they have won?
One has nothing to do with the other. But that is a typical Packer fan response. Because my team never won the the Super Bowl I couldn't possibly know crap about football.

If you honestly think another 8-7-1 season can win the division this year I want some of what you are smoking. Packers went what was that, oh yeah, 2-4 with Rodgers out. That's impressive.

Members online

Latest posts