Bye Week Adjustments and or Changes

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason that the 9ers were able to pass so freely against us and not against the seahawks or the colts is because we DO NOT play much man to man coverage and we DO NOT press the WR's off the line. The seahawks have big physical DB's who man handle the WR's. Indy saw what the seahawks did and just copied it and it worked. Capers however must either be to damn stubborn to adjust or have a lack of faith that our guys couldn't execute man to man vs the 9ers because that zone crap sure has enough holes in it that eventually the WR will find a hole and sit and wait for the pass. I sure do miss the days of Al Harris roughing up the WR's for the first 5 yards and by then they were off their route or rythem.

I definitely agree, and that is why I said I blame the game more on coaching. But there were a lot of mental errors as well.

I think House may have that ability but just have to see it more consistently. He has the size and the demeanor to do it, just not sure Capers wants that. He is a very opportunistic coordinator and the off coverage allows the corners to see the play better, make jumps on the ball. We will have to see on that.

But you cant look at those stats and say the Packers are doing anything but ******** the bed on defense. Yeah there are some good signs here and there but they rank in the bottom 5 for just about everything but rushing defense.

12theTruth

I definitely agree, and that is why I said I blame the game more on coaching. But there were a lot of mental errors as well.

I think House may have that ability but just have to see it more consistently. He has the size and the demeanor to do it, just not sure Capers wants that. He is a very opportunistic coordinator and the off coverage allows the corners to see the play better, make jumps on the ball. We will have to see on that.

But you cant look at those stats and say the Packers are doing anything but ******** the bed on defense. Yeah there are some good signs here and there but they rank in the bottom 5 for just about everything but rushing defense.

This defense played well enough to win the game against the Bengals though. Scoring a defensive TD and creating 4 turnovers that should get you a victory in almost every game. The offense **** the bed in this last game. Moving forward we need to handle adversity better as a team and that starts with Mike McCarthy.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Yes, but that same "play 5-7 yards" off the WR keeps keeps getting us burned, badly. The slant routes are almost immediately open and the WR has more than ample time to either put a good move on the DB or just build acceleration and get a step on the DB. Either way, we are getting OWNED in the secondary......not to mention that the LB's that drop into coverage have been doing a sub-par job as well. Brad Jones gets eaten alive.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say the Packers weren't talented... I said they aren't good right now.

. . . .

There is no doubt this team has the potential to win out... POTENTIAL. But games against Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Atlanta will not be won by losing the turnover battle, making stupid coverage errors and Rodgers needs play like the best player on the field more often than not.

You are playing both ends. They aren't good and you say they have the potential to win out. So no matter what happens, you have things covered.

I certainly don't think they are currently playing their best ball. I am just looking beyond the current record at the team and I see reason to think this is going to develop into a great year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I sure hope MM doesn't do his typical "nothing is wrong, we are staying the course" company line bs this week.

I think this is a critical point in his tenure. This has to be as close to losing the locker room as he is going to get (post brett era). While this may sound absurd there are many things to consider. His fight with Rodgers looks bad to the rest of the team. If their leader is questioning his play calling then they all can question the play calling. That scene could do some real damage. The guys have also been getting a ton of second opinions on injuries which shows they question the medical staff. The hamstring thing is going to make them question the strength coaches and their plan. Teammates looked very pissed off at Ross yesterday and I am sure they are questioning him being the returner. I think Quarless was letting him have it after that fumble.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...injury-has-team-looking-within?nclick_check=1

The Packers likely will tweak some of their training protocols, but when deciding whether to make more significant changes, they’ll also have to consider how much of their problem might be a statistical anomaly.

“The guy (i.e., McKenzie) taking care of that team in Green Bay is as bright a guy as you’re ever going to find,” Bradley said.
(Pittsburgh Steeler's doctor)“I’ve known him for years. They’re on top of this, I can tell you right now. Just like we had a lot of problems a couple years ago, they’re looking into it to make sure, because if a hamstring puts you out 3 to 6 weeks, it’s a big deal.”

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Statistical anomaly? An outlier is not an outlier when surrounded by a number of other "outliers" in the same vicinity. We call that a "pattern."

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Good bye bye week, let's hope a stronger pass rush shows up for week 5. CM3 can't do it all by his self.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Good bye bye week, let's hope a stronger pass rush shows up for week 5. CM3 can't do it all by his self.

I just read on ESPN.GO, that CM3 is listed as probable and had a full practice thursday !!!!
Now, if we could just get a fire started under a few other guys butts to get after the QB.....

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read on ESPN.GO, that CM3 is listed as probable and had a full practice thursday !!!!
Now, if we could just get a fire started under a few other guys butts to get after the QB.....
We need more production out of Neal(well that's a hope and a prayer :(), Datone Jones and Perry.

H

HardRightEdge

Aaron Rodgers is 29 years old. He's had remarkable success doing what he's been doing. Expecting him to change in any significant way is unrealistic. If he sees man coverage and a single-high safety, he's going to be looking long and that's not going to change. Thinking otherwise is like wanting to paint a broader smile on the Mona Lisa.

In any event, it does appear Rodgers controls the hurry up. And when men go in motion the purpose is to see what defensive intent might be, at which point decision making reverts to the QB. I'm not sure it advantageous to give any QB more control than that. There is a lot happening on the field very quickly in short time frames...to expect the QB to know all, see all is unrealistic.

As for McCarthy, he's a methodical and somewhat controlling guy. To expect him to turn over the reins completely to Rodgers is unrealistic and likely not advantageous. Did it benefit Indy or hurt them (see playoff record)? It's impossible to prove the counter factual. Or was the control Manning had in Indy overstated...it's been oft reported that his yelling and gyrations suggesting an audible were often fake. Besides, the QB does not control the personnel package on any particular play, so latitude is limited in that regard.

That said, I don't care for anybody calling plays from the sidelines, unless he's just relaying what the OC is telling him from the booth. You often can't see sh*t from the sidelines. Note that QBs study eye-in-the-sky photos when they come to the bench more than they engage the sideline play caller in tactical discussion. As with Rodgers' and MM's little dust up, which was pretty mild and in the category of "we have to report something", when coach and QB get together on the sidelines it's usually a matter of disagreement not commiseration.

MM is slow to change, in keeping with his methodical approach, though we do see gradual changes from year -to-year. I especially like his new habit, as of last season, of going for it on 4th. and short vs. a 50 yard FG, and that has nothing to do with my opinion of Crosby.

Last edited by a moderator:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is 29 years old. He's had remarkable success doing what he's been doing. Expecting him to change in any significant way is unrealistic. If he sees man coverage and a single-high safety, he's going to be looking long and that's not going to change. Thinking otherwise is like wanting to paint a broader smile on the Mona Lisa.

In any event, it does appear Rodgers controls the hurry up. And when men go in motion the purpose is to see what defensive intent might be, at which point decision making reverts to the QB. I'm not sure it advantageous to give any QB more control than that. There is a lot happening on the field very quickly in short time frames...to expect the QB to know all, see all is unrealistic.

As for McCarthy, he's a methodical and somewhat controlling guy. To expect him to turn over the reins completely to Rodgers is unrealistic and likely not advantageous. Did it benefit Indy or hurt them (see playoff record)? It's impossible to prove the counter factual. Or was the control Manning had in Indy overstated...it's been oft reported that his yelling and gyrations suggesting an audible were often fake. Besides, the QB does not control the personnel package on any particular play, so latitude is limited in that regard.

That said, I don't care for anybody calling plays from the sidelines, unless he's just relaying what the OC is telling him from the booth. You often can't see sh*t from the sidelines. Note that QBs study eye-in-the-sky photos when they come to the bench more than they engage the sideline play caller in tactical discussion. As with Rodgers' and MM's little dust up, which was pretty mild and in the category of "we have to report something", when coach and QB get together on the sidelines it's usually a matter of disagreement not commiseration.

MM is slow to change, in keeping with his methodical approach, though we do see gradual changes from year -to-year. I especially like his new habit, as of last season, of going for it on 4th. and short vs. a 50 yard FG, and that has nothing to do with my opinion of Crosby.

Peyton's playoff history hasn't exactly been dazzling and in his one Super Bowl win his performance was pedestrian. I look at Tom Brady who led his team to 3 super bowl victories as a system quarterback. As a field general his Patriots have won none.

H

HardRightEdge

We need more production out of Neal(well that's a hope and a prayer :(), Datone Jones and Perry.

Yup. It's kind of like the Wizard of Oz.

Perry is kinda like the Tin Man...he needs a heart (i.e., a motor). Jones is like the Scarecrow lacking brains (i.e., lack of experience). Neal is like the cowardly lion lacking in courage (i.e., to translate the "practice warrior" rep to on-field performance without the benefit of chemical enhancement).

Or is it they all need to find motors? Or is it that Perry needs to find a brain because he still looks uncertain in most of what he does? And does Jones need to build more size and strength, outside the Oz list of needs?

Living in Buffalo now for a couple of years where Packer games are never shown live except when national (thank you, NFL Rewind), I'd trade this entire defense for the perennial doormat Bills' in a heartbeat. It just goes to show what an elite QB does.

H

HardRightEdge

Peyton's playoff history hasn't exactly been dazzling and in his one Super Bowl win his performance was pedestrian. I look at Tom Brady who led his team to 3 super bowl victories as a system quarterback. As a field general his Patriots have won none.

Correct. And Brady certainly does not have complete control of his play calling, likely no more than Rodgers' does. But since Manning is throwing lights out in Denver this year, he must be the gold standard. Long term memory seems in short supply these days.

H

HardRightEdge

Yup. It's kind of like the Wizard of Oz.

Perry is kinda like the Tin Man...he needs a heart (i.e., a motor). Jones is like the Scarecrow lacking brains (i.e., lack of experience). Neal is like the cowardly lion lacking in courage (i.e., to translate the "practice warrior" rep to on-field performance without the benefit of chemical enhancement).

Or is it they all need to find motors? Or is it that Perry needs to find a brain because he still looks uncertain in most of what he does? And does Jones need to build more size and strength, outside the Oz list of needs?

Living in Buffalo now for a couple of years where Packer games are never shown live except when national (thank you, NFL Rewind), I'd trade this entire defense for the perennial doormat Bills' in a heartbeat. It just goes to show what an elite QB does.

Well, well. 1.5 out of 3 against Detroit. We finally saw out of Neal what the coaches have been touting. The guy was very active and disruptive all day. He even put on a nice bull rush early on pushing the RT back in Stafford's face despite his new, svelter self. He did not get any credit for tackles for loss on a couple of run plays according to ESPN's box score, but I would have given him credit for one, and he was chiefly responsible for blowing up another. He played a very good game, his best in a Packer uniform. +1

Perry had the 2 sacks on virtually identical rushes against Reiff. No first-step burst to speak of, but a little shoulder dip on the 3rd. step with some leverage and late burst. Otherwise, not much to comment on. +1/2

I'd like to see these guys repeat these performances against a better set of tackles or a team with more than one weapon on the field. Encouraging, but I'm not quite ready to declare these performances more than a one-off.

Members online

Latest posts