Bryan Bulaga

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet the balance to all of this:

No team's front office deemed him worthy of a draft pick and our own staff didn't seem him worthy of a roster spot over the enbattled Alex Light.

He is super talented. But right now that's it. It would be great if he grew into even a swing tackle, but they shouldn't make future plans based on that.

A lot of people wondered, "Why wasn't he drafted?" 1. He played on a bad Hokies team. 2. He had metal rods inserted in his legs when he was younger because his body mass grew too fast for his bone structure to support his weight. That certainly has not affected his athletic abilities., as his SPARQ placed him at #6 amongst all OL in the 2019 draft.

Yosh Nijman is a gifted OT. Just needs more technique work, as has been stated regularly. He is a mauler. Personally, I don't like risking him out there for other teams to snap up of our PS.

His pedigree is undeniable in terms of effectiveness. At the Pro level, he needs more work. For sure. Just such a rare find, and he was one of Gutekunst's first UDFA signings. They know what they got with him. STOLE HIM.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A lot of people wondered, "Why wasn't he drafted?" 1. He played on a bad Hokies team. 2. He had metal rods inserted in his legs when he was younger because his body mass grew too fast for his bone structure to support his weight. That certainly has not affected his athletic abilities., as his SPARQ placed him at #6 amongst all OL in the 2019 draft.

Yosh Nijman is a gifted OT. Just needs more technique work, as has been stated regularly. He is a mauler. Personally, I don't like risking him out there for other teams to snap up of our PS.

His pedigree is undeniable in terms of effectiveness. At the Pro level, he needs more work. For sure. Just such a rare find, and he was one of Gutekunst's first UDFA signings. They know what they got with him. STOLE HIM.

I am skeptical that an OL starved league would pass on an OT as good as you set forward for reasons that, as you basically described, are negligible.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't set it forward. Just relayed what I had researched on him. I do think he was a steal, and could care less on teams that missed. Gutes did not miss. Great signing.

However, that is the primary reason, as best as I can discern. I understand completely where you and many others are coming from on him. But, I did find that info and wanted to relay to you and my other friends here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didn't set it forward. Just relayed what I had researched on him. I do think he was a steal, and could care less on teams that missed. Gutes did not miss. Great signing.

However, that is the primary reason, as best as I can discern. I understand completely where you and many others are coming from on him. But, I did find that info and wanted to relay to you and my other friends here.

I get it. Appreciate that.

My basic point is this-- with his measurables, if teams thought he looked like anything other than a major project, he'd have been drafted. So for that reason, I don't think we should expect him to become a factor for the starter/backup situation. But at the same time, he has the talent to develop if he's teachable and grows in his technique.

H

HardRightEdge

I very seriously think the heir apparent is on our practice squad in Yosh Nijman. I’m a monster fan of his, and I’m terrified someone will snap him off of it. I’d love it if they moved him onto the 53 to insure he’s secure here with GB.

He’s about a year away, but a phenomenal pedigree, and outrageous size & athleticism.

I’ve felt all along here that he could go down as THE #1 steal in 2019 UDFA.
Here's a full game tape of Nijman against Florida St. last season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

His pass blocking footwork is choppy and mechanical; his range is limited. I don't know if those edge guys are top pro prospects or were top picks but they're beating him around the corner with regularity with Nijman reach blocking. He's fortuante his QB got the ball out quick. He's got some fluidity when on the move run blocking but his pass blocking agility would be high on the list of reasons he went undrafted.

You can look at all the athletic measurables you want, but if the movement skills on the field are lacking that's a tough problem to fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

After watching the game tape something about the guy doesn't add up. With his athleticism there's no reason why he should be so incredibly slow to react... he's the last one moving on most plays. I'm wondering if he maybe, possibly has a hearing problem and waits to see others move before he begins? We've seen it before where WR's seem to have concentration issues on long balls & find out that they needed corrective lenses once in the NFL... maybe the kid needs to be tested?

D

Deleted member 6794

That's right. And what I'm saying is that it's hard for me to envision a way for them to acquire someone as good or better in the off-season.

I agree that it will be tough to adequately replace an elite tackle like Bulaga. That's why I'm advocating for the Packers to spend an early round pick on the position.

not good enough. in win-now mode you go get a free agent that can hit the ground running.

In that case I would prefer the Packers to bring back Bulaga on a short term deal instead of spending huge money to replace him in free agency.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree that it will be tough to adequately replace an elite tackle like Bulaga. That's why I'm advocating for the Packers to spend an early round pick on the position.

In that case I would prefer the Packers to bring back Bulaga on a short term deal instead of spending huge money to replace him in free agency.

I think they'd be putting themselves in a situation similar to Houston in this past draft where you absolutely have to take a tackle with your first pick, whether there's a good/worthy option or not. Because they don't have an option waiting in the wings. Next man up is Alex Light.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a full game tape of Nijman against Florida St. last season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

His pass blocking footwork is choppy and mechanical; his range is limited. I don't know if those edge guys are top pro prospects or were top picks but they're beating him around the corner with regularity with Nijman reach blocking. He's fortuante his QB got the ball out quick. He's got some fludiity when on the move run blocking but his pass blocking agility would be high on the list of reasons he went undrafted.

You can look at all the athletic measurables you want, but if the movement skills on the field are lacking that's a tough problem to fix.
Oh, believe me, I’ve seen every bit of tape available on him. I know how he looks, and he does need technique work. Oftentimes he does not look fluid, at all. I get all of that, and I’m not one who falls in love with the measureables over talent. I TOTALLY get it.

My thing with Yosh Nijman is:
1. He DOES have rare athletic gifts for a man his size

2. He has proven through 3 years as a starter, and 4 years of play for VT, in a Power 5 Conference at both LT & RT, to have been effective in his play, no matter how unorthodox he may look.

3. All of the work he did at VT was out of a 2 pt. stance. Conversion to a 3 pt. stance may help him immensely, along with a year or two of NFL coaching & development (which MOST rookie OL are afforded anyway).

4. While he doesn’t look refined, all of those positive attributes that Nijman possesses are VERY difficult to find, at one of the most important positions on any team. “You don’t look a gift horse in the mouth,” essentially.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think they'd be putting themselves in a situation similar to Houston in this past draft where you absolutely have to take a tackle with your first pick, whether there's a good/worthy option or not. Because they don't have an option waiting in the wings. Next man up is Alex Light.

There's definitely risk involved in letting Bulaga walk away in free agency next offseason. Bakhtiari proved there's another option to replace a starting tackle without having to spend a first round pick on the position though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's definitely risk involved in letting Bulaga walk away in free agency next offseason. Bakhtiari proved there's another option to replace a starting tackle without having to spend a first round pick on the position though.

If you're banking on being able to find an immediate starting tackle in the middle rounds because you were able to do it once, you're going to be severely disappointed. And Bakh was not very good as a rookie despite being quite the gem of a 4th rounder.

H

HardRightEdge

If he's perceived as a top 5 RT at 31 year old with injury risk mitigated, he's going to get a pretty substantial 3 year deal from somebody. He might have played the last two games last season if they mattered. If he gets through this season playing as he is playing without missing games, that's two consecutive seasons that are pretty clean injury-wise.

If he's injured again and misses several games this season then he's a top 5 RT with a big risk asterisk next to his name again. Then he might be available on a modest contract to whatever extent the Packers have to outbid the other 31 teams.

When the scenario calls for a starter to be injured in a contract year to make him an affordable re-signing it might be best to consider alternatives.

We won't know where the whole thing stands anyway until after the season. If McGinn is right that he turned down the request to take a salary cut before 2018, don't expect a stay-in-place discount.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you're banking on being able to find an immediate starting tackle in the middle rounds because you were able to do it once, you're going to be severely disappointed. And Bakh was not very good as a rookie despite being quite the gem of a 4th rounder.

I'm aware that it's unlikely to draft a tackle capable of starting immediately in the middle rounds of the draft but there's a small chance for it to happen.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m all-in on selecting the best OT we can R1 or R2 next draft. Also in at WR/ILB there, but see OT a major priority.

As for Bulaga, I agree it depends on Bryan’s continued availability and performance. If he crushes it for the full 2019 season and playoffs, I will definitely want him re-signed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm aware that it's unlikely to draft a tackle capable of starting immediately in the middle rounds of the draft but there's a small chance for it to happen.

So what's your point then if not that they should try and find another mid round gem?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup...or someone as good, or better, but younger for a little bump. he's only averaging $6.7m. that's 10th in the league (no where near the league high of $16m)...and you know it's only going up.

Reaction score
Ideally, Bulaga plays the vast majority of the season and we extend him a 2 year deal. That would allow us to prioritize other positions next draft, while giving us some continuity until we find his replacement. It also allows us to take a stab in the middle rounds for OT if we think a prospect just needs a year or two of polishing. This might not be in the Cap cards if they rework Bak’s deal also. One thing is for sure, GB needs to keep the throttle down and keep Rodgers upright.
I like the idea of pointing our resources towards this Offense this coming draft. We could use another WR and TE (unless Jace is able to return and prove himself worthy in 2019). I like the idea of targeting another OL earlier day 3 draft (4-5th). If Bulaga does go down, it would be good to feel good about shuffling things around and having some options.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup...or someone as good, or better, but younger for a little bump. he's only averaging $6.7m. that's 10th in the league (no where near the league high of $16m)...and you know it's only going up.

Oh?

Who is somebody that will be a FA that is younger and better, that won't be outrageously expensive?

D

Deleted member 6794

So what's your point then if not that they should try and find another mid round gem?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's possible to draft a tackle capable of starting immediately in the middle of the draft as well, although the chances are obviously slim. Let be clear about it though, as it wouldn't be smart to rely on it the Packers would either have to address the position in free agency or select a replacement early in the draft if they decide to let Bulaga walk away in free agency next offseason.

We could use another WR and TE (unless Jace is able to return and prove himself worthy in 2019). I like the idea of targeting another OL earlier day 3 draft (4-5th).

If the Packers don't sign a veteran receiver next offseason they will definitely have to spend an early round pick on the position.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make is that it's possible to draft a tackle capable of starting immediately in the middle of the draft as well, although the chances are obviously slim. Let be clear about it though, as it wouldn't be smart to rely on it the Packers would either have to address the position in free agency or select a replacement early in the draft if they decide to let Bulaga walk away in free agency next offseason.

It's also possible to draft a HOF QB in the 6th round, but it's pretty dumb to rely on that happening again.

If we have, for example, mediocre WR's, it hinders the offense. Doesn't ruin it, but hinders it. If we have a mediocre OT, it can ruin an offense. Doesn't matter who's throwing the ball, and who you're throwing to, if the ball can't get there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

If the Packers don't sign a veteran receiver next offseason they will definitely have to spend an early round pick on the position.

So if they address it in free agency, I would ask again-- why not just keep Bulaga? Which free agent (that you actually think will hit the market) would you choose instead?

And if they don't address it in free agency and choose to go with the draft, aren't they basically making the same mistake the Texans made? They boxed themselves in to drafting a tackle, had to reach for him out of necessity, and then still traded future draft capital to acquire another one.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we have, for example, mediocre WR's, it hinders the offense. Doesn't ruin it, but hinders it. If we have a mediocre OT, it can ruin an offense. Doesn't matter who's throwing the ball, and who you're throwing to, if the ball can't get there.

I agree the Packers need to have a reliable right tackle for next season. It's up for debate if Bulaga should be the one though.

So if they address it in free agency, I would ask again-- why not just keep Bulaga? Which free agent (that you actually think will hit the market) would you choose instead?

And if they don't address it in free agency and choose to go with the draft, aren't they basically making the same mistake the Texans made? They boxed themselves in to drafting a tackle, had to reach for him out of necessity, and then still traded future draft capital to acquire another one.

Once again, I have been pretty clear about the draft being the best option to find a future starting right tackle. While that might not work out as planned Bulaga suffering an injury could result in the Packers being desperate to make a move as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree the Packers need to have a reliable right tackle for next season. It's up for debate if Bulaga should be the one though.

Once again, I have been pretty clear about the draft being the best option to find a future starting right tackle. While that might not work out as planned Bulaga suffering an injury could result in the Packers being desperate to make a move as well.

You literally just said in that post "the Packers would either have to address the position in free agency or select a replacement early in the draft," so spare me the "once again..." routine. But I asked you a question about that as a draft strategy too.

D

Deleted member 6794

You literally just said in that post "the Packers would either have to address the position in free agency or select a replacement early in the draft," so spare me the "once again..." routine. But I asked you a question about that as a draft strategy too.

I mentioned repeatedly that the draft would be the way to replace Bulaga if the team decides to let him walk away in free agency.

Ideally teams enter the draft without desperately having to address a specific position early but it hardly works that way. Obviously that's not a good situation to be in though.

Members online

Latest posts