Brohm not Getting it Done - Team may look at Veterans.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
While I agree that if Aaron goes down for the season, we are in deep trouble. However not all injuries are season ending or long term.. say it is the Dallas game or some other vital game this season.. and we really need a win.

Would you rather start a decent veteran with some game experience or trot out a rookie greener than the grass in May?

For me.. I will take the experience over the lack there of it.. it would be different if either of these rookies were lighting it up in the post draft minicamps.. but both had promise but were short of sure fire players going into this season.. that to me was a flaw in thinking or fear of something else.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Flynn has done more than a few 3rd string guys around the league. I doubt he clears waivers.

2) Why should Flynn suffer for Brohm's failures?

3) Any vested veteran is due his entire annual salary if on the roster for the first week. There is no need to "officially" sign a veteran until week 2. He probably cannot learn enough plays before week 4.

4) Why cut a better player like Hunter, Moll, or Coston to keep 4 QB's? As a second round pick Brohm will not be cut.

5) I would make Flynn the #2 for the Titans game and compare the two in exchanged roles to see if Flynn is the #2 QB.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
MajicMan said:
Brad Johnson seems like a really good fit. He seems like a solid vet mentor for Rodgers. If we're going to bring someone in to hold the clip-board, he should be someone that can benefit Rodgers progression. Just my two pennies.

Rodgers spent 3 years behind Brett Favre as a mentor. What the hell is Brad Johnson or any other aging Vet gonna teach Aaron that Brett hasn't? Aaron doesn't need mentors anymore. And yet again... one more time. If Aaron goes down, so does our season. If Aaron goes down, we need to know what we got anyway right???? so might as well play the young kids and move on from there... because there is no way that an aging Vet that is still not on a team right now or that is gonna be cut can take us to the playoffs. and even if he did the only thing that would do is drop our position in the draft.

I don't agree, while Rodgers has learned plenty from 3 years behind Brett Favre, it's completely different when you're actually taking snaps in a real game. I'm sure there will be plenty of instances where he's sacked, throws an interception, misses a check down etc. where he could benefit from discussing the situation with a vet who has seen it before.....he definitely benefited from 3 years behind someone like Favre, but he can still benefit from having a vet here who can still give advice on real game situations he will now face

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
bozz_2006 said:
I'll bet Thompson would love to damage his goods, if you know what i mean. ......

What i mean is, I bet Thompson wants to stomp on his *********.

emasculate.

balls.

That comment was helpful and informative.

yeah, about as helpful as your comment. but mine was meant to be funny. yours was meant to be insulting.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
[quote="bozz_2006":2oe92vg2]I'll bet Thompson would love to damage his goods, if you know what i mean. ......

What i mean is, I bet Thompson wants to stomp on his *********.

emasculate.

balls.

That comment was helpful and informative.

yeah, about as helpful as your comment. but mine was meant to be funny. yours was meant to be insulting.[/quote:2oe92vg2]

I thought it was hilarious.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
MajicMan said:
Brad Johnson seems like a really good fit. He seems like a solid vet mentor for Rodgers. If we're going to bring someone in to hold the clip-board, he should be someone that can benefit Rodgers progression. Just my two pennies.

Rodgers spent 3 years behind Brett Favre as a mentor. What the hell is Brad Johnson or any other aging Vet gonna teach Aaron that Brett hasn't? Aaron doesn't need mentors anymore. And yet again... one more time. If Aaron goes down, so does our season. If Aaron goes down, we need to know what we got anyway right???? so might as well play the young kids and move on from there... because there is no way that an aging Vet that is still not on a team right now or that is gonna be cut can take us to the playoffs. and even if he did the only thing that would do is drop our position in the draft.

I agree that if Rodgers goes down long-term, we're done, but I don't feel that Rodgers watching Brett for a handful of years has made a mentor useless. It's just a guess, but I don't think Brett helped Rodgers too much in terms of imparting wisdom. Sure, he could watch Favre on the field, but I don't think there was that much X's and O's conversation goin on with the ol' fun-lovin Gunslinger. A vet like Johnson, who, your right, is on the way out, would give Rodgers that vet pocket passer who could certainly teach him a thing or two. To be honest, I would go as far as to say the Packers need to bring in a guy like this because I, for one, don't feel comfortable that Brett helped Rodgers grow in terms of the style of QB this team is going to need and use.

And as for the one or two games if Rodgers gets hurt. I'll go with Johnson over Brohm. It's not perfect, but it's better. If Johnson has anything left, and has time to learn the offense, this Packer team seems like a perfect fit for his QB style. Just get the ball to the WRs and YAC it up.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Aaron needs a mentor at this stage of his career but it would be comforting to know if Rodgers were to get hurt we'd have a vet QB as a security blanket...

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger said:
I don't think Aaron needs a mentor at this stage of his career but it would be comforting to know if Rodgers were to get hurt we'd have a vet QB as a security blanket...

At this stage of his career?! He hasn't even started a game yet. haha. I don't know, I understand where you guys are coming from...I just don't think holding a clip-board for a few years makes you a veteran.
Having a battle-hardened vet to talk to during the course of a long season...well...you get the idea...

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MajicMan said:
Pugger said:

At this stage of his career?! He hasn't even started a game yet. haha. I don't know, I understand where you guys are coming from...I just don't think holding a clip-board for a few years makes you a veteran.
Having a battle-hardened vet to talk to during the course of a long season...well...you get the idea...

Agreed.

Members online

Latest posts