Brohm not Getting it Done - Team may look at Veterans.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm not getting it done

Reports from Green Bay indicate the team is starting to discuss veteran options and potential candidates that could serve as a backup to starter Aaron Rodgers, giving full indication that rookie Brian Brohm is disappointing thus far through the preseason, according to the Sporting News.

Our View: The hope was to tailor Brohm for the future and possibly see a competition for starting snaps if the rook out of Louisville could play to his potential. He has not, and thus the team may consider a move to sign one of several free-agents-to-be as other teams release them. Names such as Chris Simms, Josh McCown, John Beck, Brad Johnson, and others may enter the conversation, but nothing is likely to come available that will create a tense situation for Rodgers (or fantasy owners).

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php ... &nid=42463

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm feeling we need to go the route of a vet QB, i was hoping Brohm would step it up but he may need a season or two before he can be depended on. And given that Rodgers has had some injuries the past few seasons, it would feel a little better if we had a vet QB to come in if necessary.

Also i think it's good for Rodgers to be able to come off the field and talk over a situation that just happened with a QB who's seen it before, as opposed to talking to a rookie about the situation.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprises me too Iron Man. I agree about the veteran QB thing as well. I believe the Tromcast covered that.

I want a guy who can offer advice. Let's not go THERE either. Lol.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyway you look at it ,,, its better to have a vet there .... i hope Rodgers can stay heathy ,, but that here nor there ... i think Brohm will turn out to be a solid qb ,, just may bee to early for him ,, right now ... id say pick up a vet while you can ,,, just in case ... knock on wood ...

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do hope we sign a veteran QB to backup Rodgers for this season. It is dumb to go into the season with a talented team, but with 3 QBs who have no starting experience.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how about brett favre? he's the logical choice. he's proven. he knows our system. he has a past relationship with the whole staff. he'd be perfect.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
how about brett favre? he's the logical choice. he's proven. he knows our system. he has a past relationship with the whole staff. he'd be perfect.

I'm sure he's considered "damaged goods" now by most of the staff

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll bet Thompson would love to damage his goods, if you know what i mean. ......

What i mean is, I bet Thompson wants to stomp on his *********.

emasculate.

balls.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I am missing something I dont see Brohm sticking in the NFL. He reminds me of Tim Couch. Week arm and simply not talented enough to play in the NFL.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see someone like a Brad Johnson as a number 2.
Wouldn't hurt to have someone who's made it to the bowl. Then How bout Flynn as a number 3. I'm still seeing a lot of growth yet In Brohm.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DonnieCash said:
I'd like to see someone like a Brad Johnson as a number 2.
Wouldn't hurt to have someone who's made it to the bowl. Then How bout Flynn as a number 3. I'm still seeing a lot of growth yet In Brohm.

Brad Johnson has been playing horrible as of late, he's probably still a better option than Brohm at the moment though.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like a Brad Johnson type guy though, I am holding hope that we stay healthy. An x's and o's type of guy that isn't a controversy threat. Brohm rides the pine and Flynn makes the practice squad or turns into a sixth rounder.

In a perfect world.

tsg255

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be dissappointed if Flynn beat out Brohm. Flynn is our right sorry. He was garbage at LSU. One might ask how was he garbage on a national championship team? It was the defense and the other 10 guys on the offense.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be hasty to give up on Brohm just yet. Geez, the guy has only played in 3 pre-season games. I remember BF once said it took him 3 years before he figured out what he was doing. But I do think TT will watch the waiver wire on the last cut downs and sign a vet QB before the season starts.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think of John Beck or Luke McCown? Either one may be cut soon, do you think we could give one of them a chance?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I hear Craig Null's phone ringing.

Going into a regular season with 3 unproven Qb's not very smart. :( :(

Get an experienced back-up into camp ASAP!!!! :clap:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
I think I hear Craig Null's phone ringing.

Going into a regular season with 3 unproven Qb's not very smart. :( :(

Get an experienced back-up into camp ASAP!!!! :clap:

whats the point though really. is an "experienced back up" that just got cut from his team really gonna be that much better of an option??? no he isn't.

If Arod goes down with a season ending injury... we can kiss any playoff hope goodbye no matter who's back there to replace him. And if it is a serious injury we need to start developing the next guy anyway. Bringing in an experienced vet would do nothing more than waste money, and make a few fans feel better about themselves. No team is going deep in the playoffs without their starter.

Aaron can't learn anymore from a vet than he learned from Favre.
a vet that isnt on a team right now isnt gonna win the Super Bowl with us.

pointless. get those guys ready to play and hope to God, Aaron stays healthy.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree if AR goes down The Packers are pretty much SOL, but I also think that there is enough talent on this team that someone like Craig Null would be able to keep them in play-off contention.

Brohm and Flynn are not ready and won't be ready, many rookie careers have been ruined because they were thrown to the wolves, being forced to play when they weren't ready.

Bring in Craig Null, use 1 of the rookies as emergency qb and put the other on PS.

Any other team goes after the qb on practice squad then sign him to 53 man roster and move on.

I don't think there will be teams out there going after a 7th rnd pick.

Flynn will be safe on PS and can continue to develope.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad Johnson seems like a really good fit. He seems like a solid vet mentor for Rodgers. If we're going to bring someone in to hold the clip-board, he should be someone that can benefit Rodgers progression. Just my two pennies.

joeyharrington

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad johnson is crap. He was crap in Minnesota period. anyway does this mean the end of matt flyn in greenbay? I would love to see him in Minnesota. as we all know t-jack stinks.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I thought we covered this about 3 weeks ago.. yes we need a veteran, but waiting till the last possible moment to obtain said veteran is a mistake of mammoth portions.. said veteran will be behind the 8ball from the get go.

Now.. I read between the lines on this whole thing and I think there is an larger underlying issue mounting in Green Bay, it is the only possible reason I can think of why they didn't add a veteran earlier in the offseason... even prior to the whole Favre fiasco.

I believe that issue to be some type of insecurity of Aaron's behalf.. whether it is Aaron or a severe case of fear on the coaching staff that adding a veteran will hamper Aaron's confidence. Seriously.. it made little sense in May, little sense in June, July or August to not have a veteran going through camp with three newbies to starting a game in the NFL. I understand not adding a vet after the Favre drama and fear of complete PR meltdown.. but May or June.. come on now.

This leads me to believe that there is some large fear of taxing Aaron's confidence is some shape.. that isn't a knock, it is just an guess. That also falls into line with other offseason decisions.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MajicMan said:
Brad Johnson seems like a really good fit. He seems like a solid vet mentor for Rodgers. If we're going to bring someone in to hold the clip-board, he should be someone that can benefit Rodgers progression. Just my two pennies.

Rodgers spent 3 years behind Brett Favre as a mentor. What the hell is Brad Johnson or any other aging Vet gonna teach Aaron that Brett hasn't? Aaron doesn't need mentors anymore. And yet again... one more time. If Aaron goes down, so does our season. If Aaron goes down, we need to know what we got anyway right???? so might as well play the young kids and move on from there... because there is no way that an aging Vet that is still not on a team right now or that is gonna be cut can take us to the playoffs. and even if he did the only thing that would do is drop our position in the draft.

Members online

Latest posts