Brett's Interceptions in Better Light !!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To put Brett’s Interceptions into perspective, compare some of these numbers.

As one example: If Troy had kept playing at his present rate of Touchdowns verses Interceptions he would have had 282 Interceptions at the 330 Touchdown mark. Brett’s percentage is much better having thrown 260 Interceptions at the 399 Touchdown mark. The link below really puts Brett’s TD vs Interception percentage into a much better light once you make the comparisons. Cheers !!!

http://www.packersnews.com/assets/pdf/U042632922.PDF

Reaction score
While I generally try to avoid the issue of is Brett to agressive for his own good, I have a couple of things to add.

1. These QBs have a competitive nature and winning drive that ultimately they will air it out at critical times in the game, or when the game seems lost just because they want to win. It is easy to criticize, but these players got where they are because of their personality and attitude, which is to win or die trying mentality.

2. There is no "I" in team. Ultimately you will have players that end up replacing other players; it's the nature of this game. The player coming in isn't always going to be as good as the player he replaced. The drop off in talent and relative inexperience in the specific scheme of play can be deadly in terms of chemistry/communication between the QB and the said new player. These lack of things can lead to INTs taking place when none would have before if the old player was still around or at the peak of his game. (Case and point: Jennings. Simply put, Walker > Jennings AT THE PRESENT TIME. Also add on physical differences (height, leaping ability) and all of a sudden something Walker could do might be something Jennings can't. Since Favre was so used to Walker doing it, he throws it up and without really thinking that Jennings isn't Walker, and the result isn't a completition) Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Favre is an idiot or something, but when you have split seconds to make a decision, you are bound to make decisions that you are familiar with and have had a relative degree of success. Only through time can these "lapses" be corrected.

Thus I always believe A TD/INT ratio isn't a HUGE thing. Brett has led the fortunes of this franchise to a complete 180, and built a winning traidition. Someone like Vick might not be the greatest QB, and IMO is overrated as a QB, but the fact is he wins games with his ability. TD/INT ratio won't tell the whole story, and it usually never does. Those who argue or take pleasure in saying that Brett is a walking INT machine are the same people that would've taken Brett in the years their team was struggling. They like to poke fun at his 29 INTs last year and his high INTs tendency, yet they are the exact same people who would have prayed for a QB like Brett to be sent to them if their team ever started rebuilding.

It is a "what have you done for me lately" type of league, but to ignore the contributions and successes of the past is ignorant. I don't care if he throws 35 INTs this year, I'll be in front of my tv each and every week there to watch Favre get closer and closer to an end of a great career.

Because in the end, I hope to tell my grandchildren about this legend known as #4, how he brought pride and prestige back to this team and played hard each and every game.

So he can throw 400 INTs in his career, because those who focus on the negative have nothing more to talk about. Look at what he did for this team, this city, and the joy he gave countless people over 16+ years, and then tell me you wouldn't take a QB like Favre and live with his "mistakes".

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Philtration said:
And Troy won 3 Super Bowls

The same Aikman who had Irving and E. Smith for his entire duration?

Yep, just like Favre used to be surrounded by talented players to make him look better too.

But not any more.

Reaction score
Irving had time to build chemistry with those guys.

Favre has done it with many individuals around him, the team in a flux both talent and personel wise.

Can the saem be said for Aikman?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at Dan Marino. All those great years, and only one SB appearance, which he lost, in his rookie year. If Favre would have had the players Aikman did, he would have alot more SB wins too. And if Marino would have been on the Cowboys during that time, i think he would have had quite a few too.
In my view, Aikman was a so so QB, not great. He had Emmitt Smith the whole time, and Michael "Snort" Irvin was no slouch either. Aikman didn't have to try to do it all on his own. If he had, i don't think the Cowboys would have been so great.

Just my opinion.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I generally try to avoid the issue of is Brett to agressive for his own good, I have a couple of things to add.

1. These QBs have a competitive nature and winning drive that ultimately they will air it out at critical times in the game, or when the game seems lost just because they want to win. It is easy to criticize, but these players got where they are because of their personality and attitude, which is to win or die trying mentality.

2. There is no "I" in team. Ultimately you will have players that end up replacing other players; it's the nature of this game. The player coming in isn't always going to be as good as the player he replaced. The drop off in talent and relative inexperience in the specific scheme of play can be deadly in terms of chemistry/communication between the QB and the said new player. These lack of things can lead to INTs taking place when none would have before if the old player was still around or at the peak of his game. (Case and point: Jennings. Simply put, Walker > Jennings AT THE PRESENT TIME. Also add on physical differences (height, leaping ability) and all of a sudden something Walker could do might be something Jennings can't. Since Favre was so used to Walker doing it, he throws it up and without really thinking that Jennings isn't Walker, and the result isn't a completition) Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Favre is an idiot or something, but when you have split seconds to make a decision, you are bound to make decisions that you are familiar with and have had a relative degree of success. Only through time can these "lapses" be corrected.

Thus I always believe A TD/INT ratio isn't a HUGE thing. Brett has led the fortunes of this franchise to a complete 180, and built a winning traidition. Someone like Vick might not be the greatest QB, and IMO is overrated as a QB, but the fact is he wins games with his ability. TD/INT ratio won't tell the whole story, and it usually never does. Those who argue or take pleasure in saying that Brett is a walking INT machine are the same people that would've taken Brett in the years their team was struggling. They like to poke fun at his 29 INTs last year and his high INTs tendency, yet they are the exact same people who would have prayed for a QB like Brett to be sent to them if their team ever started rebuilding.

It is a "what have you done for me lately" type of league, but to ignore the contributions and successes of the past is ignorant. I don't care if he throws 35 INTs this year, I'll be in front of my tv each and every week there to watch Favre get closer and closer to an end of a great career.

Because in the end, I hope to tell my grandchildren about this legend known as #4, how he brought pride and prestige back to this team and played hard each and every game.

So he can throw 400 INTs in his career, because those who focus on the negative have nothing more to talk about. Look at what he did for this team, this city, and the joy he gave countless people over 16+ years, and then tell me you wouldn't take a QB like Favre and live with his "mistakes".

you are AWESOME, kiddo! best post ever!!!!!!!

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Philtration said:

Yep, just like Favre used to be surrounded by talented players to make him look better too.

But not any more.

Well when Favre had all that talent surronding him he won 3 MVP awards. He cant take a team to a superbowl by himself. And they went to two with Brett, but he cant control the outcome of the game.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

That was before free agency..jack***

Also, Brett has the records for most starts for a QB, so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.

Good post, Winni.

And Aikman was always praised for his "accuracy", so I guess Brett doesn't throw alot of interceptions now does he, and therefore it means that he's not "inaccurate" now doesn't it?

This fact is going to disappoint and **** off some people on this forum.

Heh.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The simple truth is that during Favres career in Green Bay he threw to one truly great receiver, Sterling Sharpe. Unfortunately for Brett Sterling got hurt early in Brett's career. Robert Brooks looked to be a great receiver too, but he got hurt. Freeman was a superb number 3 receiver and a lousy #1. Chewey was outstanding as was Jackson, but Jackson only played a few years. So Brett just never had a great receiver to throw to and look what he has accomplished with a whole bunch of average players.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

PLEASE!!!!!

Are you kidding me?? Those early 90's Cowboys were the most talented football teams ever assembled in the history of the league. Im not talking about skill position players. Im talking about 5 probowl caliber offensive lineman at all times. Im talking about 6 defensive lineman and 5 or 6 linebackers who could start for anybody. Im talking about 3 or 4 probowlers in the secondary every year. Im talking about probowl tight end & fullback. How good was Emmit, Troy & Irvin once the Cowboys started losing pieces of their O-line. How did they react to that?? Their careers ended shortly is how they reacted except for Emmit who decided to hang on for 6 or 7 more years to make a mockery out of the rushing record and collect a paycheck.

Favre had Sharpe and Brooks until Sharpe got hurt. He made a star out of Brooks. Then he made a star out of Antonio Freeman. Now he made a star out of Donald Driver. Other than Sharpe, none of these guys would be anything other than a # 2 or 3 receiver on any other team. The jury is still out on Javon Walker. I hope he plays great but with Jake the Fake in Denver to throw to him, dont count on it.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Philtration said:

That was before free agency..jack***

Also, Brett has the records for most starts for a QB, so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.

Good post, Winni.

And Aikman was always praised for his "accuracy", so I guess Brett doesn't throw alot of interceptions now does he, and therefore it means that he's not "inaccurate" now doesn't it?

This fact is going to disappoint and **** off some people on this forum.

Heh.

Thanks majikman,

Imagine that, Phil coming in here to hijack a "accuracy" thread and turn it into Smack :roll:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Philtration said:

But not any more.

Smith vs Packer RBs during Favre's career. Smith wins.

Irving vs #1 Packer WRs during Favre's career. Irving wins.

Larry Allen and others vs Packer's OL during Favre's career. Dallas OL wins.

What Dallas didn't have was Reggie White. While we were blessed with Reggie White, White didn't exactly line up with Favre and help Favre's numbers.

Simply put, Aikman had better offensive weapons. But I'd glady take Favre over Aikman any day of the week, because Favre knows how to work with what he has. Favre makes good receivers look great, and mediocre receivers look good. Sterling Sharpe could have compared to Irving if Sharpe didn't have that injury. Fans - just imagine how good Favre would have been if Sharpe played 12 years.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Philtration said:

But not any more.

Hey Phil,

How did Brett look to you today ? that's right go find a cave to hibernate while you think on that one a little !!!

Members online

Latest posts