Brett favre wanted to play for the Bears

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm merely stating in perhaps a too round about way, if one dislikes or hates or doesn't respect Brett for leaving a team he'd been with for years than one must hold the same stance on all of them: Manning, Montana, Emmitt, A-Rod, Jimmie Foxx, Greg Madduxx, Reggie White, Patrick Roy, Charles Woodson, Eric ****erson, Shaq, Barry Bonds, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wayne Gretzky, Babe Ruth and many more....

If one does, than I actually hold quite a bit of respect for someone. If one though is simply holding disdain for Favre simply because in this example in history we weren't the benefactor of the occurrence I ask them to step back and think on it for a second at minimum.

I too love Rodgers more than I ever did with Favre...it is perhaps due to I'm older now and can appreciate what Rodgers is doing more than I did with Favre....but no matter either way I don't hold anything against Favre, dude gave a ton of blood, sweat, tears and heart with a Packer uniform on.
It was never him leaving, it was the way he left and the actions he took. I personally was most upset about Favre calling other teams to discuss our playbook. To my knowledge non of the people you listed have ever left the team they were with the majority of their career in any similar way.

If you were going to compare it to anything in football I would go with Baltimore and the Colts.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never heard him say that, have you? I don't care what Peter King says. He'll say whatever gets him attention.
wait so unless you hear it said you dont consider it news?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

God forbid someone gets their feelings hurt. Is this whole topic still news or something?

It has nothing to do with hurt feelings and you know that. I`m not going to allow name calling.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wait so unless you hear it said you dont consider it news?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The only person I can find any reference to saying such a thing is Peter King, and even he only implies it, so no, it's not news. It's conjecture.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO E. Wolf's posting on Favre is way over the top. But IMO fans should be careful posting about the perspective of fanatics regarding a game and players they aren't involved in or know personally. For example, my disdain for Favre is in direct proportion to my admiration for Aaron Rodgers. If I should damper my disdain for one, should I also damper my admiration and appreciation for the play and character of the other? And if the perspective argument is taken towards its logical conclusion, how would you justify all the time and passion spent on a game and players, neither of which you are involved in or know personally? I think it’s fair to say nearly everyone who posts here regularly can be classified as a Packers fanatic. If you are saying the actions of a player against the team that made him rich and famous shouldn’t affect the respect the fans of that team have for that player, I disagree. And I would appreciate it if you could list every player that has done the same thing. And if you think that just means going from one team to another, you are attempting to re-write history.

I’m not going to post much about Favre. I’m not going to forgive him until he sincerely asks to be forgiven and since that hasn’t happened to date, my guess is it never will. Much of my posting about Favre has been to correct the record when posters misstate what took place in 2008 and thereafter (actually even back to 2002, if you understand that reference). For me, I am excited for TC to begin and the more Favre fades into the background after this year, the better.
I can tell you get my meaning from the very first line of your post, so why the rest? it's obvious to everyone on this forum that some have a very unhealthy obsession with the negative. It doesn't mean you can't have ill feelings, I own no Favre Jerseys and I was very disappointed with the way he conducted himself professionally and personally at times in his career.

But professionally, that was quite a while ago for the NFL and personally, well I don't have to think he's Jesus to respect what he did on the football field. He's not my husband, father, uncle, close friend etc, so those issues are between him and them. I can have my opinion, but I think it's safe to say you recognize that it's whole other story to take it to the extreme as some do. There's a definite difference between having some thoughts, opinion, feeling about an issue, and having a good chunk of your life apparently consumed by it. and yes, if you took your admiration of Rodgers to the level that some do their disdain and disgust with Favre all these years later, I'd say you need to temper that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I can tell you get my meaning from the very first line of your post, so why the rest?
Because you were not intended to be the only reader of that post and because as I posted I disagree with your rationale whether or not we as fans are “involved in or know personally” has anything to do with it.

And if you could tell ‘I got your meaning’, why the second paragraph of your post? ;)

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can have my opinion, but I think it's safe to say you recognize that it's whole other story to take it to the extreme as some do. There's a definite difference between having some thoughts, opinion, feeling about an issue, and having a good chunk of your life apparently consumed by it.

Rest assured I am far less consumed by the great shame that is the pandering to Favre than I do the Green Bay Packers as a whole. I basically sacrifice last least sixteen sundays a year (usually more with playoffs), spend an hour a day listening to green and gold and jason wilde, keep on stories.
This matters to me because of what was in his heart, how terribly close he was to rendering the Vikings Super Bowl Champions and rubbing out any prospect for a Super Bowl in the Post-Favre era. That matters to me, and matters to me a great deal. I'd say our prospects for winning Super Bowl Championships is one of the most important things to me of all.
The Green Bay Packers are a very important part of my life. This guy came perilously close to sabotaging this team. And now the Favreists are coming out of the woodwork to grovel at the guy. The whole things offends me terribly. And in relation to the three jersey turncoat set, I feel this is a terrible disgrace on our team and its fans.
Thats how I feel. And anyone who tells me its just a game or that it is not that important or whatever other off the shelf dismissal I have seen so many times before can go to hell.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL looks like the ban on favre should stay on this forum, sorry for jumping the gun..

Yeah, banning contentious subject matter because people get upset always works.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All that I can say is that Favre will not fade into that good night. They will start trotting him out on the field, like they have every other great player in the franchise. He is the next Bart Starr in terms of alumni presence at games, like it or not. The Packers organization has moved on and fans will just have to deal with it in whatever manner they choose.

I'm interested to hear what he does say tomorrow night. I hope that he does address his departure. I'm pretty sure that there still is a schism between himself and members of the front office. Nothing buries the hatchet like a sincere apology, as TJV noted in his post.

I

All that I can say is that Favre will not fade into that good night. They will start trotting him out on the field, like they have every other great player in the franchise. He is the next Bart Starr in terms of alumni presence at games, like it or not. The Packers organization has moved on and fans will just have to deal with it in whatever manner they choose.

I'm interested to hear what he does say tomorrow night. I hope that he does address his departure. I'm pretty sure that there still is a schism between himself and members of the front office. Nothing buries the hatchet like a sincere apology, as TJV noted in his post.

El G, I think the point TJV and possibly I have, and I may be wrong, is that we have accepted it WILL happen, but we don`t have to be happy about it, as many others feel too. The annoying thing is when the Pro-lobby keep telling us we HAVE to forgive and forget. We NEED to move on !! THAT is the thing that winds people up so much.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot believe buggybill and I agree on something. My sentiments exactly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because you were not intended to be the only reader of that post and because as I posted I disagree with your rationale whether or not we as fans are “involved in or know personally” has anything to do with it.

And if you could tell ‘I got your meaning’, why the second paragraph of your post? ;)
why the need? to clarify, which apparently I must do again? because nowhere did I ever intend to mean that a person couldn't have an opinion, a dislike, a thought, feeling or idea about a person they have never met or game they may or may not have ever played. Of course they can. just like I have thoughts and opinions on all kinds of things I don't do, haven't done and people I don't know. But there are definitely levels to which something or someone that a person does not know personally and is not involved in can become to great of a part in their life? you agree? yes or no?

it's not just "involved in or know personally" you snipped out the rest. I think you can see the difference between, "i don't like Brett Favre. I think he's immature, was a poor husband and thumbed his nose at the fans that made him rich in life and with wealth" and the pages long, multiple website long, years worth, the consumation of a big part of one's life, the vitriol propagated year after year, and hate that some feel still over a football player they dont know and a game they dont play? there's a difference? yes?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Look, this isn't a big deal and you certainly didn't have to clarify IMO. But if you didn't mean "involved in or know personally" - if that was irrelevant to your post - why did you include it?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, because it is relevant, as there are clearly different levels of involvement. I'm sure anything that may or may not have happened between Brett and Ted Thompson were more important than what I perceived at the time as a fan. What Brett did with Jen Sterger was probably a bit more important to Deanna, than to you or I. I'm guessing in both situations the people directly involved have moved on more than those that know neither, nor play the game, at least for some.

I think it odd, and detrimental to a person to hold such an obvious grudge (and that's putting it lightly) for so long against someone they don't know at all.

anyway, you're right, it isn't that important. I think it's cool Favre is finally going into the Packers Hall, and i have easily not seen anything on it other than a quick blurb on the news last night and this thread. I imagine the rest that don't care can easily avoid it as well.

I

I think it odd, and detrimental to a person to hold such an obvious grudge (and that's putting it lightly) for so long against someone they don't know at all.

I find it commendable that you are able to forgive, but I would ask the question "Why is it SO important that everybody else feel the same way ?". We`re not bad people, we just feel differently is all.

And as a footnote, you KNOW there will be some who will gloat about it and try and rub our noses in it. I have no issue with anybody other than you cannot change our minds any more than we can change yours. It is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never heard him say that, have you? I don't care what Peter King says. He'll say whatever gets him attention.
You imply Peter King made it up, what in his decades of journalism gives you that opinion? His friendship with Brett? Lol you just don't like it so you try and blindly attack it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You imply Peter King made it up, what in his decades of journalism gives you that opinion?

Sensationalism isn't "journalism."

You've taken a very ambiguous statement by someone who mysteriously just now makes mention right before Favre's PHOF induction. You also take the words "...could still play somewhere else. Chicago or Minnesota, maybe." and stretch that out to "OMG! Favre wanted to be a Bear!"

First of all, so what? Second, it's obvious you're just trying to stir **** again.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
XLV would not have happened but for a mere tecnical 12 men on the field penalty and interception in New Orleans.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts