Brett favre wanted to play for the Bears

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sensationalism isn't "journalism."

You've taken a very ambiguous statement by someone who mysteriously just now makes mention right before Favre's PHOF induction. You also take the words "...could still play somewhere else. Chicago or Minnesota, maybe." and stretch that out to "OMG! Favre wanted to be a Bear!"

First of all, so what? Second, it's obvious you're just trying to stir **** again.
LOL "mysteriously"

again, please point out where in his decades of sports journalism he has made stuff up for "sensationalism". You cant

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre was a football player long before and after he was a Packer. Why wouldn't he want to play against his former team? This isn't JR High where you can't as your best friends ex to go out with you. He's a stud competitor, some fans can't understand that.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Brett Favre was a football player long before and after he was a Packer. Why wouldn't he want to play against his former team? This isn't JR High where you can't as your best friends ex to go out with you. He's a stud competitor, some fans can't understand that.

Plenty of fans understand that but again it begs my usual question, "Why is it SO important to the Pro Favreist lobby that WE buy into this ?".
You are entitled to feel you do, and we are entitled to feel the way we do. I`m not trying to change your mind or those of others, but people think we should embrace him back into the fold. WHY is it so important to you all ?

D

Deleted member 6794

Normally I don't reply to any thread about Favre but here's something interesting coming from a family attendings yesterday's ceremony out of a JS story:

For this reason, Kelly McPartlin ordered special "Thanks Brett Favre" T-shirts for herself and her family, Katie Rusch with son Alex and parents Sue and Larry McPartlin of Eagle River.

"I gave up attending the games once Brett was gone," said Kelly McPartlin. "When he went to the Jets, I stopped going to Packers games. I just felt a little tension between everything that happened between him and the Packers organization. A lot — OK, a lot.

"And I would only come here if Brett was here. I will come again at Thanksgiving and I probably won't come to another Packers game forever and ever.

"You just had a picture of him in Packer Plus — the famous picture with him and his family. I thought that was so appropriate that he's come from that to this, today. It's full circle. He's getting in to the Hall of Fame, his number retired — it's finally happened."

"We love you and appreciate every down," said Larry, beaming.

Favre, the Packers and everyone else seem to think that waiting more than four years after he last played for the Vikings that everyone has forgiven him for what happened between 2008-10 because Favre fans sold out Lambeau within a day and gave him a long standing ovation.

I wonder if the reception will be vastly different on Thanksgiving when Packers fans fill the stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plenty of fans understand that but again it begs my usual question, "Why is it SO important to the Pro Favreist lobby that WE buy into this ?".
You are entitled to feel you do, and we are entitled to feel the way we do. I`m not trying to change your mind or those of others, but people think we should embrace him back into the fold. WHY is it so important to you all ?
it's not, I really don't care if you choose to hold a grudge almost 10 years after a man you've never met playing a game at the highest level one can play somehow hurt your feelings. I can't help that you're more invested than Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, Donald Driver, Deanna Favre and on and on. You know, the people that have played with him and know him on a much more personal level seem to have accepted things and moved on, but some just can't. They think it's healthy for their life? and somehow proves their "fan" status??? Well good for you, or maybe not. I guess I care enough to mention it when I see people hanging on to such trivial stuff for so long in their life, that maybe one day a mention of mine will make them see that, "yeah, this is so trivial" and move on. But whether you "buy into it", well I guess I don't really care all that much. I'm not even sure what you think i'm trying to get you to buy into?? That Favre was one of the greatest qb's to ever play the game? well if you can't buy into that, i'm not sure you're really a fan of football.

Recognizing his accomplishments and recognizing that he belongs in the hall of fame isn't exactly asking a lot of someone to "buy into". Whatever else you think of him, I don't care. And those that couldn't attend another Packer game because Favre was sent to the Jets are just as bad as those that can't recognize what he did for this team. Neither side is any different than the other.Thankfully, at least in my circles, those that are capable of having perspective on life, have moved on. A long time ago they did, and follow the Packers as faithfully as they did before Favre was here and have since he's been gone.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
it's not, I really don't care if you choose to hold a grudge...
The rest of your post contradicts that - looks like you care a lot perhaps to the point of damaging your health. :roflmao:

I

it's not, I really don't care if you choose to hold a grudge almost 10 years after a man you've never met playing a game at the highest level one can play somehow hurt your feelings. I can't help that you're more invested than Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, Donald Driver, Deanna Favre and on and on. You know, the people that have played with him and know him on a much more personal level seem to have accepted things and moved on, but some just can't. They think it's healthy for their life? and somehow proves their "fan" status??? Well good for you, or maybe not. I guess I care enough to mention it when I see people hanging on to such trivial stuff for so long in their life, that maybe one day a mention of mine will make them see that, "yeah, this is so trivial" and move on. But whether you "buy into it", well I guess I don't really care all that much. I'm not even sure what you think i'm trying to get you to buy into?? That Favre was one of the greatest qb's to ever play the game? well if you can't buy into that, i'm not sure you're really a fan of football.

Recognizing his accomplishments and recognizing that he belongs in the hall of fame isn't exactly asking a lot of someone to "buy into". Whatever else you think of him, I don't care. And those that couldn't attend another Packer game because Favre was sent to the Jets are just as bad as those that can't recognize what he did for this team. Neither side is any different than the other.Thankfully, at least in my circles, those that are capable of having perspective on life, have moved on. A long time ago they did, and follow the Packers as faithfully as they did before Favre was here and have since he's been gone.

I`m going to try and keep this polite. DON`T ever question my loyalty to the Packers....I DO NOT care for the man as a person. IF you want to go and cheer for him, FINE, that is your right. Have a ball !!!
My view, and quite a few others I might add, do not think the man is worthy of this ultimate accolade, especially as he thinks its his right.
I am not picking rows with individual Packer fans, I AM objecting to being TOLD I have to accept it and like it. I ACCEPT IT, I don`t have to LIKE IT.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
use more caps, it helps :)

anyway, i'm not telling you anything. I'm asking. Are you more invested than Deanna Favre? Do you feel more slighted than Donald Driver? Frank Winters? Why are you more hurt than Ahman Green or Javon Walker? A guy he told to shut up and play? They all seem to be able to move on, why can't you?

You see, i'm not telling anything, and if you'd read pretty much any response i've had on the subject, I've I don't care if you like him. I know myself doesn't think he's any sort of saint and think he acted rather poorly when this all happened almost a decade ago. But you see, i think it's pretty normal to have a reaction in the immediacy of something, and also normal to come to terms with what it all really means in the grand scheme of things with some time and a new perspective is reached. Do you think in the 8 or so years is enough time for people achieve perspective on an event with a person they don't know personally and a game they've never played is enough time? or is it never enough time? because the implications are just that great? the meaning too powerful? your personal investment too tremendous to ever move past it?

I'm not telling anyone anything. and you don't have to even answer me, those are questions that only need be answered by yourself.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The rest of your post contradicts that - looks like you care a lot perhaps to the point of damaging your health. :roflmao:
do you ever read a post in it's entirety, or just use snippets without context? because if you did, i'm sure you read where I addressed it. and you're right, i've spent way too much time here. The day is nice and wasting. Later

I

Firstly, my apologies to Mondio.....you touched a nerve with me and I`m sorry.
Secondly, Sky King....The grudge you talk of where I am concerned is actually indifference on my part. As it was pointed out, I don`t know the man. I have nothing invested in Brett Favre emotionally and I am damn sure he hasn`t in me or the many thousands of people there the other night.
My problem is being told by the Pro-lobbyists (some anyway) that I should move on and applaud the man. I have stuff going on in my life s as do others that are far more important than this. I personally don`t think he deserves the honour, and that is my opinion, but to some, I`m not a proper Packer fan because I don`t care to participate in the hero worship ?? Each to his own !! it`s not for me, and I suspect quite a few others. We`ll never change our minds and neither will you I suspect.
I AM a loyal Packer fan and being questioned, it touched a nerve. Again I`m adult enough to apologise for my last outburst, but it is what it is. I choose my heroes carefully, and Mr Favre isn`t one of them I`m afraid.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good post, Bill. Honestly I never spontaneously think about Favre - I only do so when the subject comes up here or in the media which I can mostly ignore. Or in conversation with friends and acquaintances, which is very rare. I’ll bet the volume of hate expressed by one or two posters here toward Favre is also very rare. I don’t “seethe” or “obsess” about him. I view his actions as those of a traitor against the Packers, but of course only in the context of a sports team. And I don’t respect as a man, but he’s far from alone in that category. Look at weeds’ reasonable post in the “Interestingly enough” thread: He too has a problem with retiring his number. Speaking just for myself of course, all I require to forgive Favre is his sincerely asking for forgiveness. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Mondio, if you’ve read more than a few of my posts (and good for you if you haven’t), you’d know I occasionally quote several portions of a post to which I’m responding so yes I read those posts in their entirety. You seem surprised or confused that on other occasions I only quote the part of those posts I'm addressing. In this instance there was no reason to quote the majority of your post in which you were arguing no one should hold a grudge after stating you don’t really care if anyone does.

Last edited:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, Bill. Honestly I never spontaneously think about Favre - I only do so when the subject comes up here or in the media which I can mostly ignore. Or in conversation with friends and acquaintances, which is very rare. I’ll bet the volume of hate expressed by one or two posters here toward Favre is also very rare. I don’t “seethe” or “obsess” about him. I view his actions as those of a traitor against the Packers, but of course only in the context of a sports team. And I don’t respect as a man, but he’s far from alone in that category. Look at weeds’ reasonable post in the “Interestingly enough” thread: He too has a problem with retiring his number. Speaking just for myself of course, all I require to forgive Favre is his sincerely asking for forgiveness. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Mondio, if you’ve read more than a few of my posts (and good for you if you haven’t), you’d know I occasionally quote several portions of a post to which I’m responding so yes I read those posts in their entirety. You seem surprised or confused that on other occasions I only quote the part of those posts I'm addressing. In this instance there was no reason to quote the majority of your post in which you were arguing no one should hold a grudge after stating you don’t really care if anyone does.
One of the only forums on line and as source for Packer fans that continues to have distain for Favre. It really is amazing and childish.

You people need to grow up!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
BURP--Throw me off for trolling! You people need to grow up!
No need to throw you off, if you're so upset this is 'one of the only forums' just leave. And why are you so invested in telling others what to do? Perhaps it's you who needs to grow up.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if you recognize him as a great Packer who contributed a lot to the franchise or not. I don't care if you think he should have given up being a football player just because he could no longer be a Packer. I'm just pointing out why you're wrong.

I

I don't care if you recognize him as a great Packer who contributed a lot to the franchise or not. I don't care if you think he should have given up being a football player just because he could no longer be a Packer. I'm just pointing out why you're wrong.

But that is my point....We are not wrong, we just have a different opinion.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No need to throw you off, if you're so upset this is 'one of the only forums' just leave. And why are you so invested in telling others what to do? Perhaps it's you who needs to grow up.
I have stayed off the site because of the hate and personal attacks from folks. This type of behavior even prompted an apology from Buggy.

I just don't understand the personal venom concerning a player that helped rebuild, as acknowledged by Wolf, Holmgren and others. A franchise that was, potentially, on the ropes.

Very sad,

I

I have stayed off the site because of the hate and personal attacks from folks. This type of behavior even prompted an apology from Buggy.

I just don't understand the personal venom concerning a player that helped rebuild, as acknowledged by Wolf, Holmgren and others. A franchise that was, potentially, on the ropes.

Very sad,

I apologised because he touched a nerve and I`m adult enough to admit my reaction was somewhat over the top. I object to my status as a Packer fan being questioned because I don`t share the same view as others.
I did not respond with "Burp" which has been questioned on here before.
As I said, I have gone beyond venom, I am now indifferent. I don`t think he deserves the accolade BUT that is merely my opinion. People in both camps are entitled to their opinions without people trying to change them. I`m pretty sure Mr Favre couldn`t care either way.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't care what you think about Favre or anything else. I just care when you and others try to re-write what happened as you've done above. I'm just pointing out why you're wrong.
I just don't understand the personal venom concerning a player that helped rebuild...
If you believe thinking Favre owes Packers fans an apology and that he doesn't deserve to have his number retired is "personal venom" we disagree what that phrase means.

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't what you think about Favre or anything else. I just care when you and others try to re-write what happened as you've done above. I'm just pointing out why you're wrong. If you believe thinking Favre owes Packers fans an apology and that he doesn't deserve to have his number retired is "personal venom" we disagree what that phrase means.

Hey Jack, I thought I saw some post where you linked to a thread you created detailing your dislike for Favre, I am trying to find that so I don't have to ask you all the reasons. I would like to read what you have to say to figure out how are remembering of all of this has lead to such different feelings on the subject.

For the record, I am not looking to start of confrontation, just to read what you have to say.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if the reception will be vastly different on Thanksgiving when Packers fans fill the stadium.

I had to stop and think for a minute what you meant by "Packers fans" because I am sure most of those there last night were Packers fans as well but then I realized you meant Packers fans who don't like Favre. Its kind of a slight against the 70 some thousand who showed up last night to insinuate they aren't Packers fans. You may not have meant it that way but that's kind of the way it sounded.

I doubt the reaction will be much different. They may not let a 4 or 5 minute standing ovation go because they will probably be more pressed for time but I doubt those few packers fans who still resent Favre enough to make a spectacle of themselves will be seen or heard over the vast majority who will be cheering for him just like they were tonight.

Let me clarify that. When I say those that resent him enough to make a spectacle of themselves I am talking about those with the seething hatred the TJV mentioned in one of his posts. There are some fans like that here on this forum. I am sure there will be a lot of people there like TJV or Buggy who do not necessarily hate the guy they just don't have much respect for him and as they have said their feelings are more like indifference than hatred. There will be fans like this there but my guess is most of them will simply choose not to participate. They won't take part in the standing ovation that I am willing to bet almost anything he will get and they won't take part in the clapping and cheering. They will most likely remain seated with their hands in their laps (maybe they will take the time to head to the john and get another beer.) Those with the seething hatred, and there will undoubtedly be some of them there as well, will be the ones pumping clenched fists and booing at the top of their lungs but like I said, my guess is they won't be noticed. I'd also bet they will be outnumbered by Bears fans there joining in the celebration.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is a very good and very valid point. I stopped caring about what other people think about Favre a long time ago. If you don't like the guy nothing I nor anyone else could say will change your mind. Over time your feelings may change but I agree why should it matter to those who love the guy if someone else doesn't.

If you remember though, back when Favre left there were plenty of people who felt as you do who were questioning the loyalty of Packers fans who were in support of Favre so the knife cuts both ways.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL "mysteriously"

again, please point out where in his decades of sports journalism he has made stuff up for "sensationalism". You cant
The bigger issue is your **** stirring. You took a maybe this or that comment from person whose job it is to make headlines and stretched it out to "Favre wanted to play for the bears." Nowhere did anyone even in your article make such a statement. The only thing that can be taken from what he said was that Chicago was one of the places he maybe would have considered if they wanted him.

In the end, you're just trying to generate as much vitriol as possible right before his PHOF induction. How pathetic.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m going to try and keep this polite. DON`T ever question my loyalty to the Packers....I DO NOT care for the man as a person. IF you want to go and cheer for him, FINE, that is your right. Have a ball !!!
My view, and quite a few others I might add, do not think the man is worthy of this ultimate accolade, especially as he thinks its his right.
I am not picking rows with individual Packer fans, I AM objecting to being TOLD I have to accept it and like it. I ACCEPT IT, I don`t have to LIKE IT.

HOF inductions are ALWAYS been about what a player did not the field and nothing more, as it should be. If they ever start a Great Persons HOF, you can make an argument all you want about not putting Favre in it. But as a Green Bay Packer, there is no valid argument to make against him being in it. Just because you don't respect him doesn't mean he doesn't belong in it. I don't have much respect for Paul Hornung, but I'll be damned if he isn't one of the greatest NFL players of all time. Same with Favre. End of story.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts