Brett favre wanted to play for the Bears

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he knew as well as the rest of us that Rodgers was the future and he was about to become a free agent so it was do or die time with Rodgers. There's no way Favre was going to be given even a chance in camp because the Packers didn't want to lose Rodgers and they also didn't want the drama of having a future HOFer on the bench. You don't want your future at QB fearing for his job every time he throws an incomplete pass. In retrospect, the Packers should have just released him and been done with it back in June 2008.
GPG--You are fighting a losing battle. All of the quotes from previous Packer players, coaches and executives will not change the opinions of some folks/moderators on this sight. They hate Favre and it will never end.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

GPG--You are fighting a losing battle. All of the quotes from previous Packer players, coaches and executives will not change the opinions of some folks/moderators on this sight. They hate Favre and it will never end.

Actually it was an interesting explanation OCBP, AND he didn`t use any idiotic BURP exclamations. Unlike yourself, he explained his views, and while some (Folks/Moderators) have a slightly different of the matter, I can see why he is being inducted into the HOF, and that might be acceptable. I maintain my stand that he doesn`t deserve to have his number retired however.
YOU can see that anyway you want. If you have a personal issue with me or any other members on here, feel free to P.M. any of us . And look !! No Burps !

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

The people who were polled were Brown County residents. I'm pretty sure they were Packer fans. Either way, if you're hoping for a loud chorus of boos on Thanksgiving then I think you're going to be very disappointed.

BTW, Packer fans and "Favre supporters" as you call them aren't mutually exclusive things.

Take a look back at my posts in this thread, I never mentioned anything about what I hope for. I was just wondering if the reaction will be different on Thanksgiving after reading several quotes from people at the ceremony saying they haven't attended a Packers game since Favre left.

In retrospect, the Packers should have just released him and been done with it back in June 2008.

The Packers used the third-round pick acquired from the Jets in the Favre trade to move up in the 2009 draft to select Clay Matthews. So no, the Packers shouldn't have released Favre.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it was an interesting explanation OCBP, AND he didn`t use any idiotic BURP exclamations. Unlike yourself, he explained his views, and while some (Folks/Moderators) have a slightly different of the matter. I can see why he is being inducted into the HOF, and that might be acceptable. I maintain my stand that he doesn`t deserve to have his number retired however.
YOU can see that anyway you want. If you have a personal issue with me or any other members on here, feel free to P.M. any of us . And look !! No Burps !
I have expressed my views without emotion and got a beat down as a result.

No personal issues here.

The few who hate have been and will continue to be overwhelmed by Packer fans, players, executives that see why there is a reason to celebrate the career of one of greatest GB contributors. The best according to Ron Wolf.

My gas has been in check. Thank you for your concern.

I

I have expressed my views without emotion and got a beat down as a result.

No personal issues here.

The few who hate have been and will continue to be overwhelmed by Packer fans, players, executives that see why there is a reason to celebrate the career of one of greatest GB contributors. The best according to Ron Wolf.

My gas has been in check. Thank you for your concern.

One again you use the word "hate". None of the contributors with the exception of E. Wolf have used that word, and NOBODY agreed with his rantings. We have expressed lack of respect and disappointment.
I respect your right to your opinion. Respect ours. No gas or vitriol from me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I sent an email to owner of bretts forum where I used to mod

He and I have had many issues mostly to do with the twisting of facts to suit brett..along with buisness practices between him and brett i hate

But in my email i said I was happy Brett was finally back home

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sent an email to owner of bretts forum where I used to mod

He and I have had many issues mostly to do with the twisting of facts to suit brett..along with buisness practices between him and brett i hate

But in my email i said I was happy Brett was finally back home
I think that's great.

And for the record, I have always said that folks are entitled to their own opinion.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Why does this thread all of a sudden make me think of these lyrics and want to watch the movie "The Replacements"? :eek:

It took all the strength I had
Not to fall apart
Kept trying hard to mend
The pieces of my broken heart
And I spent oh so many nights
Just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry
But now I hold my head up high

And you see me
Somebody new
I'm not that chained up little person
Still in love with you
And so you felt like dropping in
And just expect me to be free
But now I'm saving all my loving
For someone who's loving me

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with that statement. I expect a portion of the fans attending the Thanksgiving game to not support the Packers decision to retire Favre´s number though, who obviously didn´t buy tickets to last week´s ceremony.

Of course a portion of the fans will be opposed but if I am not mistaken the comment that started this whole discussion was something along the lines of will his reception be different in November. No one is doubting that there will be non Favre fans there but I think the prevailing thought is that the vast majority of them will not do anything disruptive. It's not like half the stadium will be booing and the other half cheering. I happen to think the supporters will outnumber the non supporters by a significant number and a lot of those non supporters will either sit on their hands during the ceremony or take advantage of the shorter lines in the bathroom or the beer station. It's going to be a stadium 75% of the people cheering like mad, 20% going to the bathroom and 5% booing. It's not going to appear all that different.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers used the third-round pick acquired from the Jets in the Favre trade to move up in the 2009 draft to select Clay Matthews. So no, the Packers shouldn't have released Favre.

If Thompson wasnted Matthews he would have found a way to trade up anyway. If trading Favre was the right way to go then they never should have tried to throw $20M at him to bribe him to stay retired. So either way, it was handled poorly.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course a portion of the fans will be opposed but if I am not mistaken the comment that started this whole discussion was something along the lines of will his reception be different in November. No one is doubting that there will be non Favre fans there but I think the prevailing thought is that the vast majority of them will not do anything disruptive. It's not like half the stadium will be booing and the other half cheering.

It would be shameful to see guys in Bears jerseys on TV respectfully clapping and then a shot of a couple guys in Packer jerseys trying desperately to be heard booing over the ruckus. You expect that crap from Philly fans.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course a portion of the fans will be opposed but if I am not mistaken the comment that started this whole discussion was something along the lines of will his reception be different in November. No one is doubting that there will be non Favre fans there but I think the prevailing thought is that the vast majority of them will not do anything disruptive. It's not like half the stadium will be booing and the other half cheering. I happen to think the supporters will outnumber the non supporters by a significant number and a lot of those non supporters will either sit on their hands during the ceremony or take advantage of the shorter lines in the bathroom or the beer station. It's going to be a stadium 75% of the people cheering like mad, 20% going to the bathroom and 5% booing. It's not going to appear all that different.

Responses like that are the main reason I normally avoid posting in a thread about Favre at all. Let me tell you one thing, although you act like you know how 80,000 people will react the truth is you don't have a clue at all. I'm well aware of the fact that I don't have any either, that's why I was wondering about it.

Taking a look at the regular posters here (although I get the sample size is way too small to get any significant information out of it) there are more than 5% who still haven't forgiven Favre.

If Thompson wasnted Matthews he would have found a way to trade up anyway.

You never know.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Responses like that are the main reason I normally avoid posting in a thread about Favre at all. Let me tell you one thing, although you act like you know how 80,000 people will react the truth is you don't have a clue at all. I'm well aware of the fact that I don't have any either, that's why I was wondering about it.

Taking a look at the regular posters here (although I get the sample size is way too small to get any significant information out of it) there are more than 5% who still haven't forgiven Favre.

You never know.

I re read my post and I couldn't find anything that indicated that I know how 80,000 fans will react. The words I THINK showed up a few times indicating how I THINK 80,000 fans will react. I checked the dictionary and the words THINK and KNOW are not synonymous. Its going to make for some more tedious posting if I have to put "I THINK" before or after any of my opinions just so you don't get confused.

You wondered and since no one knows how they will react all we can do is post how we think they will react. I didn't realize when you wondered about it it was rhetorical and you were not expecting anyone to answer.

Unless those regular posters here are also season ticket holders you just said their opinions don't matter, and the numbers I stated say its 25% that haven't forgiven him not 5%. Its only 5% that will be making it a point to exuberantly show it. The other 20% will be respectful of the situation and simply choose not to participate I THINK.

The only representative poll would be to ask season ticket holders.

Then there are those who sell their tickets. As someone has pointed out there are not that many of them available, but that doesn't take into account people who sell their tickets without using the official site. I think that number will increase as the day gets closer and the price goes up. I think there will be a HUGE demand for tickets to this game. More than a normal Packer/Bear game. Thanksgiving, nationally televised, Favre ceremony are just a few of the factors that will cause more people to want tickets. This will drive up the price and coupled with it being deer hunting season more people might be enticed to sell.

You have already accused the 67,000 fans who were in attendance of the Favre ceremony of not being Packer fans and assumed they will not be in attendance to the Thanksgiving game (based on comments by a very few people I might add) a so lets take a look at a few scenarios I could see playing out for this game.

1) A lot of people who would normally sell their tickets will go to the game because they like Favre and want to be a part of history. I could see this happening. Of course you would call these people Favre lovers rather than Packer fans.

2) A lot of people who would normally go to the game will sell their tickets because they hate Favre and they don't want to be a part of it. I really don't see this happening but its possible. In keeping with your definitions I would call these people Favre haters and not Packer fans.

Either of these will likely increase the number of Favre supporters present.

3) A lot of people that would normally go to the game but don't like Favre will still go to the game but they won't participate in any of the ceremony. This is very likely to happen IMO and these are the 20% I was talking about. These are Packer fans and Favre doesn't matter to them.

4) A lot of people who would normally sell their tickets keep them and go to the game because they hate Favre and they want to go and boo him. These would be part of the 5%. I don't think this is very likely. Again, Favre haters not Packer fans.

5) The fact that it is a Thanksgiving game has far more impact on whether more or less people sell their tickets than the Favre ceremony will.

6) Favre or Thanksgiving it won't matter to some people because they sell all their tickets to the Bears and vikings games and make enough money to pay for the rest of their season tickets. Packer fans? Probably but opportunists as well. I can't really fault them for that

7) and what I THINK is far most likely to happen is the the attendance will pretty much mirror the attendance of any normal Packer/Bear game despite more season tickets perhaps being sold. For the most part season ticket holders who normally go will still go and those who normally sell will sell. I do know there will be Packer fans and Bear Fans there. I know there will be Favre supporters and Favre detractors there. I know the stadium will be full to capacity and then some. I THINK when Favre come out the vast majority of the people will give him a standing ovation. A smaller percentage will simply go about as nothing special is going on and an even smaller percentage will stand and boo just as loudly as those who are cheering.

I hope this clears up a few things that I think and that I know.

Last edited:
I

I re read my post and I couldn't find anything that indicated that I know how 80,000 fans will react. The words I THINK showed up a few times indicating how I THINK 80,000 fans will react. I checked the dictionary and the words THINK and KNOW are not synonymous. Its going to make for some more tedious posting if I have to put "I THINK" before or after any of my opinions just so you don't get confused.

You wondered and since no one knows how they will react all we can do is post how we think they will react. I didn't realize when you wondered about it it was rhetorical and you were not expecting anyone to answer.

Unless those regular posters here are also season ticket holders you just said their opinions don't matter, and the numbers I stated say its 25% that haven't forgiven him not 5%. Its only 5% that will be making it a point to exuberantly show it. The other 20% will be respectful of the situation and simply choose not to participate I THINK.

Then there are those who sell their tickets. As someone has pointed out there are not that many of them available, but that doesn't take into account people who sell their tickets without using the official site. I think that number will increase as the day gets closer and the price goes up. I think there will be a HUGE demand for tickets to this game. More than a normal Packer/Bear game. Thanksgiving, nationally televised, Favre ceremony are just a few of the factors that will cause more people to want tickets. This will drive up the price and coupled with it being deer hunting season more people might be enticed to sell.

You have already accused the 67,000 fans who were in attendance of the Favre ceremony of not being Packer fans and assumed they will not be in attendance to the Thanksgiving game (based on comments by a very few people I might add) a so lets take a look at a few scenarios I could see playing out for this game.

1) A lot of people who would normally sell their tickets will go to the game because they like Favre and want to be a part of history. I could see this happening. Of course you would call these people Favre lovers rather than Packer fans.

2) A lot of people who would normally go to the game will sell their tickets because they hate Favre and they don't want to be a part of it. I really don't see this happening but its possible. In keeping with your definitions I would call these people Favre haters and not Packer fans.

Either of these will likely increase the number of Favre supporters present.

3) A lot of people that would normally go to the game but don't like Favre will still go to the game but they won't participate in any of the ceremony. This is very likely to happen IMO and these are the 20% I was talking about. These are Packer fans and Favre doesn't matter to them.

4) A lot of people who would normally sell their tickets keep them and go to the game because they hate Favre and they want to go and boo him. These would be part of the 5%. I don't think this is very likely. Again, Favre haters not Packer fans.

5) The fact that it is a Thanksgiving game has far more impact on whether more or less people sell their tickets than the Favre ceremony will.

6) Favre or Thanksgiving it won't matter to some people because they sell all their tickets to the Bears and vikings games and make enough money to pay for the rest of their season tickets. Packer fans? Probably but opportunists as well. I can't really fault them for that

7) and what I THINK is far most likely to happen is the the attendance will pretty much mirror the attendance of any normal Packer/Bear game despite more season tickets perhaps being sold. For the most part season ticket holders who normally go will still go and those who normally sell will sell. I do know there will be Packer fans and Bear Fans there. I know there will be Favre supporters and Favre detractors there. I know the stadium will be full to capacity and then some. I THINK when Favre come out the vast majority of the people will give him a standing ovation. A smaller percentage will simply go about as nothing special is going on and an even smaller percentage will stand and boo just as loudly as those who are cheering.

I hope this clears up a few things that I think and that I know.

He was wondering and you were thinking. I am wondering if perhaps you have misunderstood his meaning, and am thinking this is something and nothing ?

Can't we all just take a deep breath and R_E_L_A_X ?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was wondering and you were thinking. I am wondering if perhaps you have misunderstood his meaning, and am thinking this is something and nothing ?

Can't we all just take a deep breath and R_E_L_A_X ?

I understood his meaning perfectly well. He said I was acting like I knew how 80,000 fans will react when I quite clearly stated how I think they will react. Big difference.

I

I understood his meaning perfectly well. He said I was acting like I knew how 80,000 fans will react when I quite clearly stated how I think they will react. Big difference.

It was addressed to both of you. I just think there was a misunderstanding on BOTH sides ?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If Thompson wasnted Matthews he would have found a way to trade up anyway. If trading Favre was the right way to go then they never should have tried to throw $20M at him to bribe him to stay retired. So either way, it was handled poorly.

Wwasnt a bribe

I have posted numerous quotes from brett himself stating it was not a bribe...but funny thing? A week later he was quoted on espn it was a bribe

Andrew brandt even wrote an article that it was discussed with bob harlan b4 the Giants Playoff game

So we have brett and andrew stating it wasnt a bribe..then brett stating it was

Weather you choose to belive it as a fact or belive it was a twist on bretts inner circle is you choice

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wwasnt a bribe

I have posted numerous quotes from brett himself stating it was not a bribe...but funny thing? A week later he was quoted on espn it was a bribe

Andrew brandt even wrote an article that it was discussed with bob harlan b4 the Giants Playoff game

Do you have a link to the article. I searched google with all the relevant terms that should produce it but nothing came up.

And why was no mention ever made of it until July 30, right after the NFL officially reinstated him? I found about it was a Press Gazette article on July 30, 2008. All of the language of those articles indicate that "Favre is considering an offer...." which indicates that it was a new development.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the article. I searched google with all the relevant terms that should produce it but nothing came up.

And why was no mention ever made of it until July 30, right after the NFL officially reinstated him? I found about it was a Press Gazette article on July 30, 2008. All of the language of those articles indicate that "Favre is considering an offer...." which indicates that it was a new development.

Was in my post I linked

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/31948684.html

AUGUST 3RD 2008

"When I retire, they lose all marketing rights," Favre said. "They cannot sell anything with my name on it. That's a big deal to them. It's just like an endorsement with Nike. We have been working on that (deal) for some time."

Favre acknowledged that the money being offered by Packers president Mark Murphy was not in exchange for him not to report to training camp. He said that has been incorrectly portrayed in some media reports.

AUGUST 5TH 2008

2 DAYS LATER

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3520064

"Then," Favre said, "they tried to buy me off to stay retired."

I

This is why I hate this subject so much. We can discuss most things, most of the time in a peaceable way, but the moment HE comes up, battle lines get drawn up and all hell breaks loose. It`s like somebody has personally insulted a member of your family. It`s only a personal view here but to say you don`t respect Favre gets translated into you "Hate" him. Its like going on a visit to the middle east and saying you don`t like Allah. You know its not going to end well !!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I hate this subject so much. We can discuss most things, most of the time in a peaceable way, but the moment HE comes up, battle lines get drawn up and all hell breaks loose. It`s like somebody has personally insulted a member of your family. It`s only a personal view here but to say you don`t respect Favre gets translated into you "Hate" him. Its like going on a visit to the middle east and saying you don`t like Allah. You know its not going to end well !!

He is a very polarizing figure to be sure. Fans on both sides of the fence are quick to jump down the opposing sides throat. Favre lover and Favre hater are phrases tosses around with as much contempt as the words liberal and conservative and in fact it may be easier to get a person to change his political bent than his opinion of Brett Favre. I also think both sides overestimate the popularity of their side to a degree. Favre supporters think the vast majority of fans have forgiven him and Favre detractors think most have not. As Wimm said, and I agree, no one knows for sure how the majority feels unless we ask everyone.

No one likes to be put down for their opinions and I am guilty of doing it as is everyone. Someone does not agree with us and we feel better about our views if we think we can make the other guy feel worse about his. That's why the phrases "Favre hater" and "Favre fan not a Packer fan" are used so much. I don't think there is a worse thing you can do to a fan within the sports setting than to cast aspersions on his fanhood. You can say I have a small **** but don't you dare accuse me of not being a Packer fan. Nothing makes a fan more defensive than to question his dedication to his team. I have really tried very hard to remove the phrase "real fan" from my vocabulary because there is no such thing. Most avid fans are real fans. Everyone cheers in their own way and while we may not agree as long as they have the best interest of the team at heart they are real fans. There may be a small percentage that put a particular player above the team but even the majority of those who feel the Packers were absolutely wrong in the way they handled the Favre deal are still Packer fans.

As you all know my posts tend to get a little long winded. Partly because I want to try to address as many possible objection before they arise. That is probably not going to change but I am trying to limit my comments on such polarizing subjects to simply letting my opinions be known and acknowledging the difference of opinions and letting it go at that. 99 times out of 100 there is nothing I can say that will change anyone's mind. I have nothing personal against Wimm and sometimes its not even a particular poster that sets me off as much as something he or she says that is the final straw for things I have been reading from several people and I go off. We all like drama and that's one reason controversial threads go on for ever. One good thing about internet forums however is that we are not a captive audience. We can choose to stop reading or participating if we want to.

Except for the few resident troll fans of other teams we are all Packer fans here. The underlying thread that brings us all here is our love for the Packers. We may not agree on what is the best approach for the team but as long as we all have the best interest in the team at heart that is all that matters.

Green and Gold Forever.
Go Packers.

Members online

Latest posts