Brett favre wanted to play for the Bears

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bigger issue is your **** stirring. You took a maybe this or that comment from person whose job it is to make headlines and stretched it out to "Favre wanted to play for the bears." Nowhere did anyone even in your article make such a statement. The only thing that can be taken from what he said was that Chicago was one of the places he maybe would have considered if they wanted him.

In the end, you're just trying to generate as much vitriol as possible right before his PHOF induction. How pathetic.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...tt-favre-wanted-to-play-for-the-bears-in-2008

DERP

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That is a very good and very valid point. I stopped caring about what other people think about Favre a long time ago. If you don't like the guy nothing I nor anyone else could say will change your mind. Over time your feelings may change but I agree why should it matter to those who love the guy if someone else doesn't.

If you remember though, back when Favre left there were plenty of people who felt as you do who were questioning the loyalty of Packers fans who were in support of Favre so the knife cuts both ways.

Totally agree. I respect anybodies right to think what they think.

I

HOF inductions are ALWAYS been about what a player did not the field and nothing more, as it should be. If they ever start a Great Persons HOF, you can make an argument all you want about not putting Favre in it. But as a Green Bay Packer, there is no valid argument to make against him being in it. Just because you don't respect him doesn't mean he doesn't belong in it. I don't have much respect for Paul Hornung, but I'll be damned if he isn't one of the greatest NFL players of all time. Same with Favre. End of story.

Again.......:rolleyes:, I am tired of being told I have to accept it and LIKE it. I accept it, I don`t have to like it, and that is my point. I`m not trying to start an argument with anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I had to stop and think for a minute what you meant by "Packers fans" because I am sure most of those there last night were Packers fans as well but then I realized you meant Packers fans who don't like Favre. Its kind of a slight against the 70 some thousand who showed up last night to insinuate they aren't Packers fans. You may not have meant it that way but that's kind of the way it sounded.

I doubt the reaction will be much different. They may not let a 4 or 5 minute standing ovation go because they will probably be more pressed for time but I doubt those few packers fans who still resent Favre enough to make a spectacle of themselves will be seen or heard over the vast majority who will be cheering for him just like they were tonight.

That's not what I was talking about. Did you read the quotes I posted from a Journal Sentinel story? The family mentioned in the article said they haven't attended a Packers game since Favre left and don't plan on ever doing again because of #4 not playing. Those guys aren't Packers fans but Favre supporters. I expect there were tons of people at this event feeling the same way.

The game on Thanksgiving will be primarily attended by fans of the team though. While some of them have forgiven Favre for his actions during 2008-10 I think it's more likely that a large portion of them don't want to see his number retired.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not what I was talking about. Did you read the quotes I posted from a Journal Sentinel story? The family mentioned in the article said they haven't attended a Packers game since Favre left and don't plan on ever doing again because of #4 not playing. Those guys aren't Packers fans but Favre supporters. I expect there were tons of people at this event feeling the same way.

The game on Thanksgiving will be primarily attended by fans of the team though. While some of them have forgiven Favre for his actions during 2008-10 I think it's more likely that a large portion of them don't want to see his number retired.

The pro favre anti Thompson crowd came out from under the rocks they have been hiding under if you check out packer pages on Facebook.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we must hang in very different circles, I know plenty of people that were unhappy with Favre when everything went down, myself included, but really know of nobody personally that would somehow protest his being honored at a Packer/Bear game on Thanksgiving. I tend to believe that the extremists at both ends of the spectrum are in the minority. I'd be willing to bet that even most Bear's fans that will be there have enough respect for the player Brett Favre was and the game of football to at least be respectful during the short ceremony.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again.......:rolleyes:, I am tired of being told I have to accept it and LIKE it. I accept it, I don`t have to like it, and that is my point. I`m not trying to start an argument with anybody.
Okay. I thought you were claiming he didn't belong in it... you know, because you said it and all...

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While some of them have forgiven Favre for his actions during 2008-10 I think it's more likely that a large portion of them don't want to see his number retired.

Press-Gazette did a random telephone poll of 3300 last summer and only 12% said they would boo Favre when he comes to Lambeau. That's a far cry from a "large portion" and I suspect that number a year later is closer to 10%.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we must hang in very different circles, I know plenty of people that were unhappy with Favre when everything went down, myself included, but really know of nobody personally that would somehow protest his being honored at a Packer/Bear game on Thanksgiving. I tend to believe that the extremists at both ends of the spectrum are in the minority. I'd be willing to bet that even most Bear's fans that will be there have enough respect for the player Brett Favre was and the game of football to at least be respectful during the short ceremony.

I predict the boo birds will be few and far between.

D

Deleted member 6794

Press-Gazette did a random telephone poll of 3300 last summer and only 12% said they would boo Favre when he comes to Lambeau. That's a far cry from a "large portion" and I suspect that number a year later is closer to 10%.

The only representative poll would be to ask season ticket holders.

I

Okay. I thought you were claiming he didn't belong in it... you know, because you said it and all...

How did I know you'd have to make a comment ?
I'll admit when all this crap started with Favre, I'll admit that I detested the man with a passion. I still don't think he deserves having his number retired given his behaviour towards the organisation or organization as you would insist on...(only joking !).
The point is, as TJV has already said, I'm certainly not waking up in the morning looking forward to a day of hating him. He never enters my head at all except on here and when engaged in conversation. I'm not interested in the guy anymore, and I'm sure he's not interested or invested in me.
I just don't like being seen as a bad fan because I feel the way I do. End of story.

I`m not trying to start an argument with anybody, but I think you might be. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I`d say lets agree to disagree but history says that's highly unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if you recognize him as a great Packer who contributed a lot to the franchise or not. I don't care if you think he should have given up being a football player just because he could no longer be a Packer. I'm just pointing out why you're wrong.
Okay, I'm wrong. So is Bart and Cherry Starr, Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Aaron Rodgers, Bob Harlan, most of Farve's teammates and, at least 60,000 of 67,000 that attended last night.
I have stayed off the site because of the hate and personal attacks from folks. This type of behavior even prompted an apology from Buggy.

I just don't understand the personal venom concerning a player that helped rebuild, as acknowledged by Wolf, Holmgren and others. A franchise that was, potentially, on the ropes.

Very sad,
Why? I'd guess a higher percentage of them will have sold their tickets for the game than the percentage of boo birds in the stands.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I'm wrong. So is Bart and Cherry Starr, Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Aaron Rodgers, Bob Harlan, most of Farve's teammates and, at least 60,000 of 67,000 that attended last night.
More of the same. I guess Bart and Cherry Starr, Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Bob Harlan, Mark Murphy, the multitude of former teammates and 60,000 are ill informed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why? I'd guess a higher percentage of them will have sold their tickets for the game than the percentage of boo birds in the stands.

As of right now there are 1,500 tickets listed to buy on the league's official ticket exchange. While I know there are other sites selling Packers tickets as well I don't expect a high percentage of season ticket holders to sell theirs for this game.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only representative poll would be to ask season ticket holders.
And do you have any evidence to support the idea that a cross section of them would be any different from a cross section of other Brown County Packer fans?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did I know you'd have to make a comment ?

Well, we were kind of having a discussion of sorts, no?

I`m not trying to start an argument with anybody, but I think you might be.

So because I don't agree with your idea that non-football conduct should be a part of HOF consideration I'm somehow trying to start an argument. Real nice. I'm pretty sure you've been arguing as much as anyone in this thread, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Now if you will recall, it wasn't just his behavior toward the organisation(sic). Favre wanted to continue playing football. The Packers didn't want him to. Are you not at least a little ashamed of the Packers for stooping to this:

http://archive.greenbaypressgazette...ers-float-20-million-offer-keep-Favre-retired

The mess that was Summer 2008 was caused by actions taken and not taken by BOTH sides.

D

Deleted member 6794

And do you have any evidence to support the idea that a cross section of them would be any different from a cross section of other Brown County Packer fans?

There hasn´t been a poll of season ticket holders so obviously I don´t have any evidence. The reason I brought it up though is that people paying for tickets are most likely to be Packers fans compared to Favre supporters who paid $4 to see last week´s ceremony.

I

The mess that was Summer 2008 was caused by actions taken and not taken by BOTH sides.

Totally agree with you, but if he thought he was that good, and given that the retirement thing had been played out several times, why didn`t he prove it and compete for the starting position ?. I may be wrong....see ? I can admit it, maybe if he hadn`t pissed everybody off with his will or wont he crap, things may have turned out different ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There hasn´t been a poll of season ticket holders so obviously I don´t have any evidence. The reason I brought it up though is that people paying for tickets are most likely to be Packers fans compared to Favre supporters who paid $4 to see last week´s ceremony.
I personally know about 20 people that went last weekend in fact we had to cut our golf round short so they could get home and get to GB. around 5-7 are season ticket holders and the rest i've attended games with before and since Favre's retirement. Obviously being a Packer fan and respecting what Favre did as a Packer aren't mutually exclusive.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously being a Packer fan and respecting what Favre did as a Packer aren't mutually exclusive.

Absolutely agree with that statement. I expect a portion of the fans attending the Thanksgiving game to not support the Packers decision to retire Favre´s number though, who obviously didn´t buy tickets to last week´s ceremony.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with that statement. I expect a portion of the fans attending the Thanksgiving game to not support the Packers decision to retire Favre´s number though, who obviously didn´t buy tickets to last week´s ceremony.

Could it be they are okay with number being retired but only booing the actions of Brett

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The people who were polled were Brown County residents. I'm pretty sure they were Packer fans. Either way, if you're hoping for a loud chorus of boos on Thanksgiving then I think you're going to be very disappointed.

BTW, Packer fans and "Favre supporters" as you call them aren't mutually exclusive things.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with you, but if he thought he was that good, and given that the retirement thing had been played out several times, why didn`t he prove it and compete for the starting position ?. I may be wrong....see ? I can admit it, maybe if he hadn`t pissed everybody off with his will or wont he crap, things may have turned out different ?

Because he knew as well as the rest of us that Rodgers was the future and he was about to become a free agent so it was do or die time with Rodgers. There's no way Favre was going to be given even a chance in camp because the Packers didn't want to lose Rodgers and they also didn't want the drama of having a future HOFer on the bench. You don't want your future at QB fearing for his job every time he throws an incomplete pass. In retrospect, the Packers should have just released him and been done with it back in June 2008.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts