Brett favre number not to be retired this year

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
So 3 of 20 or 15%. Just because it happens once in a while doesn't mean Favre didn't help them win even with a very good team around him.

Yes he helped them win. I guess my argument is that he is absolutely not the only reason we won. Wolf and Holmgren put together a pretty damn good team, and are responsible for Favre even getting a shot as a starter in the NFL.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One could argue that Russell Wilson is not a top tier QB. He was lucky enough to be on a historically good team last year.

And two examples have had historically good defenses helping out. The 2002 Bucs defense was also better than the 1996 Packers. Yes, the 1996 defense was good, but not one of the best ever. The stats clearly show that for a while now teams rarely win it all without very good QB play.

Based on this, it's not likely the Packers win Super Bowl 31 without Favre.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he helped them win. I guess my argument is that he is absolutely not the only reason we won. Wolf and Holmgren put together a pretty damn good team, and are responsible for Favre even getting a shot as a starter in the NFL.

I'd agree he's not the only reason, but in spite of him is much different, implying Favre hurt the team.

Now I understand what you're saying

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nevermind that him going to New York and Minnesota actually turned out very well for the Packers since we got Rodgers to start playing quarterback,

Better than that. The extra 3rd round pick we got from the Jets allowed us to trade up and snag CM3.

I don't know about you, but I was rooting for the Jets to win it all that year. Had they done so, we would have gotten a 1st.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Packer fan how can you read this article and not be infuriated? Oh thats right, Ram isn't a Packer fan.

LOL he didn't do anything every player in the league hasn't already done when changing teams. The rest of the piece is contrived opinion to get people like you to bite the bait.

calling me 'not a Packer fan' is just silly basically.
Would A guy who didn't know a team and some of its history put someone as obscure as Barty Smith in their avatar ?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
One could argue that Russell Wilson is not a top tier QB. He was lucky enough to be on a historically good team last year.

EXACTLY !!!! He does not put up the stats that a top teir QB would. Wilson is more of a game manager and a very cautious QB. He also lacks the WR corps to really cut it losse. People want to hold him in high level status, not me.... he has a long was to go before he is a teir 1 or elite type guy. Colin kraper**** is the same IMO, he didnt even average 200 yards per game, another guy riding a defense and a run game. Let SF get bitten by a defensive injury bug and that team is in last place in that division.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About twenty years ago would be 1994. Not 1986, 1988, or 1991.

You've only listed two teams in the last 20 years two win it without good QB play. And the Ravens had one of the best defenses ever. The Packers defense in 1996 was good, but not historically good.

The game has been changing to be much more favorable to teams with good QBs and passing for awhile.

That Tampa defense was arguably top 10 all time. Hof quality player at corner, safety, linebacker, and D line. Very underrated defense

kmf4pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do I think it's too soon? Not really. Make no mistake - I took Thompson's side and was totally ready to move on after 2007, but ... at this point, it's almost petty to take any sides. Either way, I'm not shocked that Favre is nervous about getting booed. Hey - he made his bed with a lot of things and he's still sleeping in it, evidently. Whatever. We've got Aaron Rodgers. So, that being said, Favre has no bearing on anything going on now. Therefore, I won't boo him. He's no harm.
Totally agree. Time to get over past events.

kmf4pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall, I agree. He absolutely should apologize to Mark, Ted, Mike, and Aaron for being such a disruptive dunce. At the same time, at some point, we all do have to sorta move on. But, is he still on my dartboard? Yes.
Did ever stop to think that he just might do that at the retirement ceremony ? Get over it........ please?

pduck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an idea...don't retire the number. There have only been 5 Packers who have had their number retired: Tony Canadeo (3), Don Hutson (14), Bart Starr (15), Ray Nitschke (66), and Reggie White (92). That means that there have been a lot of great Packer players who have not had their numbers retired.

BTW, none of those 5 mentioned above ever flung poo at the Packer fans or the organization like a certain Mr. Favre did.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Here's an idea...don't retire the number. There have only been 5 Packers who have had their number retired: Tony Canadeo (3), Don Hutson (14), Bart Starr (15), Ray Nitschke (66), and Reggie White (92). That means that there have been a lot of great Packer players who have not had their numbers retired.

BTW, none of those 5 mentioned above ever flung poo at the Packer fans or the organization like a certain Mr. Favre did.

Excellent point sir.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Kmf4pack : Stop telling people to "get over it"...... we all have our own opinions and feeling on the subject. Who are you to tell people what to do about their feelings? I could care less if you leave the Packers organization, just do it with class and dignity. You don't have to be some scorned washed up baby about leaving. He made that bed with the packers top brass and the fans. The MAJORITY of the people I speak to about this subject say that Ol' Bret can go suck a d!ck. He took the most historic franchise in football and made a mockery out of it and the fans. His attitude/actions/ and vengful acts should not be just shrugged off. A traitor should never be let back in. I will boo him till I cant boo no more.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There we go again......we should do this, we should do that !! As you say yourself, you are a relatively new fan and never saw him play. You are a fellow Packer fan and I respect you for that but please don`t tell me what I NEED to do ;)
Why is it those of us who view Favre as a traitor, or at least as a betrayer of the Packers relate the facts of his actions and why we view him as we do (albeit sometimes by calling him names) while more than a few who don't view him in the same light frequently (not just in this thread) attempt to tell us how we should feel, as buggybill has pointed out?
LOL again , what betrayal? you are using all these personal terms as though he did something to you . He didn't do a damn thing to you nor does he owe you anything.
He betrayed the Packers organization which of course includes Packers fans. As a fan of ‘every team and every player’ you apparently can’t relate.
(Aimed at AllouezPackerFan) No one cares about your feelings towards players or the team.
That’s not true. I care about how true Packers fanatics feel about the team. I don’t care what you think about the Favre situation because IMO you aren’t a Packers fanatic. No true Packers fan would post he still ‘wants a Favre Jets and Vikings jersey’. Call yourself whatever you like and fans of other teams are welcome here, but IMO no true Packers fan would post such a thing.

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 4 will eventually be retired, but i think it has to be done when hes ready to come back, and the Packers and fans are ready for him to be back.

Im not sure hes quite ready yet, and theres still a fair few fans that arent ready to see him.

It'll happen eventually, but i'd rather not see it pushed too hard. I got over the Vikings thing (for the most part) after the fail mary play. I remembered the 15 years of exciting football that Favre had given me as a kid/teen, and I forgave the guy. I just dont think everyone is there yet.

GB WILL Honor this Legend.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Rodgers every year feels like it could be our year.
With Favre it was like, well, maybe quite possibly this could be our year. Yeah, maybe and hopefully.
You just never knew what you were going to get from an undisciplined QB who showed up to training camp like 2 hours before it ended, who probably didn't bother studying other teams defenses and who just threw the ball down field hoping that his own team mates would get it.
I honestly think that with Favre it was more luck than skill and with Rodgers it is more skill than luck.
I could be wrong about that but that's the way it seems.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was in charge or worked on the video board at Lambeau, during the retiring number ceremony, I would slip in the pic of the Lil' Brett that he sent to Jen Sterger in that sext message.
I can just hear the announcer: And now, highlights from the era of Brett Favre's career!
And then there it is on the big screen, Brett's member. :laugh:

Hackers, make this happen!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If I was in charge or worked on the video board at Lambeau, during the retiring number ceremony, I would slip in the pic of the Lil' Brett that he sent to Jen Sterger in that sext message.
I can just hear the announcer: And now, highlights from the era of Brett Favre's career!
And then there it is on the big screen, Brett's member. :laugh:

Hackers, make this happen!

It probably wouldn`t have thrown as many interceptions :rolleyes:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No true Packers fan would post he still ‘wants a Favre Jets and Vikings jersey’.
that is the dumbest thing ever said in the context of watching sports.
It's no surprise you don't get it - being a fan of "every team" means you really aren't a fan of any particular team. You'd have to be a Packers fan to understand what I posted.

Members online

Latest posts