Brett favre number not to be retired this year

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Harlan, Holmgren, and Wolf had more to do with the Packers returning to relevancy that Favre. I'd argue that we won Super Bowl XXXI in spite of Favre. IMO we had one of the best all around teams ever that season. The Green Bay Packers are bigger than Brett Favre, always have been, always will be. He's classless.....doesn't deserve his number retired. If you disagree you're just flat out wrong.....

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not media contrived – read this forum and you’ll see plenty of Packers fans who say they will boo Favre. Murphy admits it and so does Favre – that’s what is delaying his return to Lambeau. Bob Harlan, Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren had more to do with making the Packers relevant again than Favre. Based on your name, I’m guessing you’re a Rams fan and this statement confirms you aren’t a Packers fan so why are you so concerned about this? BTW, I’m sure those jerseys are for sale so you’re free to buy them.

I became a Packers fan before Lombardi arrived so I never viewed Favre as more important than the franchise – in fact I never viewed him as the best player or even the best QB to ever play for the Packers. For three or four seasons he was the best, or one of the two or three best, players in the league. But he betrayed the team that made him rich and famous. There is no “pseudo” debate about loyalty – Favre was disloyal in the extreme. So much so I don’t think he deserves the highest honor the team can bestow upon a player. As I posted above if Favre really wants to mend fences, the first step is a sincere apology – perhaps he can show at least half of the emotion of his phony “retirement” press conference.

If I were in the stands when Favre was introduced right now I would join those booing. If he offers a sincere apology, I wouldn't boo but I wouldn't cheer or applaud him. IMO he ruined his reputation both as a member of the Packers and as a man. I can forgive if he apologizes but I won't forget.

I'm sorry but sports spectating is not an emotional relationship like with wife,children, family,friends or what ever.
My so called forum name indicates nothing more to you then I'm/I was a Harold Jackson fan and he played for more teams then the Rams. I don't need to be some card carrying member of only one team to be a sports fan or say I'm a so called real fan of said team. I like all teams and all players but I do consider teams like Packers and Rams primaries from childhood.
People who post on team forums barely take up a couple percent of a teams fan base. Favre wont be booed when he enters that stadium again because most people intellectually understand sports is just spectator entertainment and not worth wasting time taking it personal.

I of course understand your front office views and know that's how good teams are built( the LA Kings won 2 Stanley's because of a front office GM named Lombardi LOL) but nobody buys jerseys with GMs names on the back.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'm sorry but sports spectating is not an emotional relationship like with wife,children, family,friends or what ever.
My so called forum name indicates nothing more to you then I'm/I was a Harold Jackson fan and he played for more teams then the Rams. I don't need to be some card carrying member of only one team to be a sports fan or say I'm a so called real fan of said team. I like all teams and all players but I do consider teams like Packers and Rams primaries from childhood.
People who post on team forums barely take up a couple percent of a teams fan base. Favre wont be booed when he enters that stadium again because most people intellectually understand sports is just spectator entertainment and not worth wasting time taking it personal.

I of course understand your front office views and know that's how good teams are built( the LA Kings won 2 Stanley's because of a front office GM named Lombardi LOL) but nobody buys jerseys with GMs names on the back.

I have some ocean front property in Montana for sale only for you, if you really believe what you wrote.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have some ocean front property in Montana for sale only for you, if you really believe what you wrote.

sure, a few obsessive people who don't understand reality will boo him but they will barely be heard over the majority of Packer fans who understand a great QB gave them many successful moments to enjoy on the field of play.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
sure, a few obsessive people who don't understand reality will boo him but they will barely be heard over the majority of Packer fans who understand a great QB gave them many successful moments to enjoy on the field of play.

I assure you I understand reality. Did I enjoy watching Favre play in the 90's??? Of course I did. Every Packer fan did. No one on here is saying that they didn't enjoy watching Favre play. I don't believe I'm obsessive either. I've lived in Green Bay my entire life, and yes I do wear that as a badge of honor. The Green Bay Packers are the greatest sports organization in the world, and are bigger and more important than any one player. I absolutely enjoyed watching Favre play and I was a very big Brett Favre fan until he disgraced himself and the team and then disgraced himself even further.

I cannot imagine this happening but if Aaron Rodgers left both the team and the NFL in a similar fashion I would also cease to be an Aaron Rodgers fan.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That’s what is known as raising a straw man in a debate/argument: No one said it was.
I like all teams and all players but I do consider teams like Packers and Rams primaries from childhood.
If you like all teams and all players you aren’t a fanatical Packers fan as I and many who post here are. Of course there’s nothing wrong with that, but you didn’t experience Favre’s betrayal of “your” team since you say you like all of them.
Favre wont be booed when he enters that stadium again because most people intellectually understand sports is just spectator entertainment and not worth wasting time taking it personal.
Sports and entertainment are much more than just an intellectual exercise. If that weren’t the case, most Packers fans would politely applaud after a great run by Adrian Peterson for a TD against the Packers. (BTW, just so you know, many fanatical Packers fans really dislike the Vikings.) The World Cup is a great example of how sports can be very emotional, sometimes dangerously so. “Fan” is a contraction of the word “fanatic”, a concept which evokes emotion, not an intellectual endeavor. And it’s funny how you keep on posting Favre won’t be booed. Perhaps you should let Favre and Murphy know that, because that’s clearly why his return is being delayed – or do you dispute that?
Jersey sales are a non sequitur regarding who is most responsible for the Packers’ resurgence under Harlan, Wolf, and Holmgren. But if all you want to talk about is players consider this: The 1996 Packers defense was historically good. The '85 Bears defense is held up as one of the best ever and in that regular season they gave up 23 TDs. While the Packers '96 defense gave up about one-half of one point more per game than the ’85 Bears, the Packers D only gave up 19 TDs during that dominating season. Also Desmond Howard did more than just win the Super Bowl MVP: Howard and the Packers’ special teams were special that entire season. Of course Favre was part of that great season, but the Reggie White-led Packers’ defense was just as responsible as Favre for that title.

Last edited:

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Yes Jack you are correct....the Packers 96 defense was amazing......front four of White, Dotson, Brown, and Jones. We had Koonce, Williams, Hollingquist, and Wayne Simmons (RIP) at LB and the best defensive secondary we have ever had IMO with Doug Evans, Craig Newsome, LeRoy, and Eugene Robinson.

Not to mention our amazing receiving corps, two pro bowl tight ends and a phenomenal offensive line. We wont that Super Bowl because of our team.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing head games with the organization and having that "larger than the packers" attitude upon his retire/unretire game....c'mon man. No matter what he did for the organization, he let down the fans, the franchise, teammates and then consistantly bashed upon the team that made him who he was. Telling other players to leave GB and telling them to go to the vikes....c'mon. What a traitor. It was his drama queen attitude that started all this crap and now we are just supposed to roll over and say it's all ok because some time passed or because of what he did stats wise? No freakin way man, he burned all his bridges and then some. I understand the "its a job or business aspect", just leave gracefully, allow the torch to be passed and then go away to another team. No need to do the the secrative spy appraoch and play for another team for one year, retire again, unretire again and join one of out most hated enemies.... to hell with that guy. Brent who?

Nope, don't agree. Favre lead Green Bay to a Super Bowl win, more than a few winning seasons and was the face of the NFL for much of the mid-to-late 90's, which was a large part of the resurgence of the Packers franchise. Fans take things too personally and hold grudges where they don't really exist. Gee, he wasn't sure if he wanted to retire....shocking that a pro athlete wanted to continue playing too long!

As for Favre telling Jennings to go to the Vikings? Do you personally have expereience which tells you that the Vikings are a poor employer for players? It was obvious at that point that the Packers didn't want Jennings so why wouldn't Favre give a friend a recommendation on an EMPLOYER. Fans seem to think that players should hate rivals as much as the fans do. Do you really think Favre, a guy from the south, grew up hating the Vikings? A former co-worker asked him for employment advice and he gave it, the same thing any decent person would in any other job. NFL players aren't fans, they're employees.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Again, Favre was not the reason we won Super Bowl XXXI. Given his playoff record one could argue that we should have had more playoff success given how good that team was. Need I point out losing to an 8-8 team at home in the playoffs? Getting blown out by the Falcons and suffering our first playoff loss at Lambeau? 6 ints against the Rams in the divisional round in 2002? Again, we won a Super Bowl in spite of Brett Favre.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, football is a team sport, We all know that. and you hardcore Packers fans know all the names and stats of all the key players and all the stupid nosey media stories. But you stat freaks are the minority in sports fan world where most people just turn on the tv and buy into a story line and pick a team to win,buy a jersey and watch a game. They are the consumers that keep the product alive.

guess which Packer is a first ballot hall of famer from the offense ? Favre is the Packer that made the Packers the Packers for the time he was there.

...LOL I like that last remark :D

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
yes, football is a team sport, We all know that. and you hardcore Packers fans know all the names and stats of all the key players and all the stupid nosey media stories. But you stat freaks are the minority in sports fan world where most people just turn on the tv and buy into a story line and pick a team to win,buy a jersey and watch a game. They are the consumers that keep the product alive.

guess which Packer is a first ballot hall of famer from the offense ? Favre is the Packer that made the Packers the Packers for the time he was there.

Look, as i said in an earlier post I loved Favre in the 90's and thoroughly enjoyed watching him play. He was a very exciting player and played on the edge of a knife which was both good and bad at times. I hate the way he left the team and feel like he disrespected my hometown and my fellow Packer fans. We can agree to disagree on this one, but I will boo him when he comes back. I know I won't be the only one booing him, and if Aaron Rodgers leaves the Packers in a similarly disrespectful way I will no longer be an Aaron Rodgers fan. I cheer for the uniform, not the man inside it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
… you hardcore Packers fans know all the names and stats of all the key players and all the stupid nosey media stories.
Yes some of us “hardcore” Packers fans who know volumes more about the franchise than you do have a different opinion than casual fans like you. BTW, by “stupid nosey media stories” do you mean like the one about Favre “publishing” lewd pictures of himself? (Maybe you can get a Favre Jets jersey with one of those pictures on the back?) You certainly can’t be blaming the media for Favre disgracing himself, his wife and his family, can you?
But you stat freaks are the minority in sports fan world where most people just turn on the tv and buy into a story line and pick a team to win,buy a jersey and watch a game. They are the consumers that keep the product alive.
Stat freaks? Stats don’t have anything to do with Favre’s betrayal of the Packers. But hey, at least you explain your point of view: You bought “… into a story line” and are sticking with the story you bought into, whether it’s true or not.

BTW, one of the things keeping the product alive is gambling, both legal and illegal. But that, like a few other things you’ve posted is irrelevant to the subject of this thread.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes some of us “hardcore” Packers fans who know volumes more about the franchise than you do have a different opinion than casual fans like you. BTW, by “stupid nosey media stories” do you mean like the one about Favre “publishing” lewd pictures of himself? (Maybe you can get a Favre Jets jersey with one of those pictures on the back?) You certainly can’t be blaming the media for Favre disgracing himself, his wife and his family, can you?

I'm not a casual fan if I know so much about so many teams and players. I know quite a lot. I just know its not worth paying that much attention to for the most part in the long run.

Stupid nosey media stories ? Favre isn't divorced yet so why are you still dwelling on texting pics from years ago ? All of us make stupid mistakes constantly and are judged and forgiven and forgotten by others. That story wont keep him out of the Hall or damage his so called legacy in any way. The only person that still suffers from such a thing is OJ.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
We can all agree to disagree, but the fact remains, there is a sect of Packer fans that feel as though Favre disgraced the Packers by the way he retired, and the way he went to Minnesota. No one is on here talking about Robert Ferguson, or Darren Sharper, or Ryan Longwell........because they didn't stab the team in the back when they went to the Vikes.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

This subject gets the same response EVERY damn time :mad:. There are those who will forgive him and those who wont. It gets boring when the pro lobbyist tell us how we will have to forgive and forget. WHY ???? We support the team not the man. He was a traitor to the organization and the fans. Forgive him if you want to, but STOP telling me how I should feel or what I should do !!

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
This subject gets the same response EVERY damn time :mad:. There are those who will forgive him and those who wont. It gets boring when the pro lobbyist tell us how we will have to forgive and forget. WHY ???? We support the team not the man. He was a traitor to the organization and the fans. Forgive him if you want to, but STOP telling me how I should feel or what I should do !!

EXACTLY!!!!!

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a relatively new Packer fan (2009) and never really had the chance to see Favre play. But from what others have told me, he and Reggie White brought the Packers organization back from obscurity and helped create the winning environment that we have today. Favre also holds every important QB record, which makes him a GREAT player. The fans in Green Bay should let bygones be bygones and welcome him back and retire his number and place him on the ring of honor in lambeau field. Overall, he will remembered as one of the greatest Packer players.

D

Dan115

Football is a team sport. Packers win and lose as a team. Players and coaches come and go. The fans remain.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harlan, Holmgren, and Wolf had more to do with the Packers returning to relevancy that Favre. I'd argue that we won Super Bowl XXXI in spite of Favre. IMO we had one of the best all around teams ever that season. The Green Bay Packers are bigger than Brett Favre, always have been, always will be. He's classless.....doesn't deserve his number retired. If you disagree you're just flat out wrong.....

The NFL MVP and the best QB in the league at the time actually hurt their chances of winning the Super Bowl? Did Harlen, Holgrem, and Wolf throw those long TDs in the Super Bowl?

Also, look at all the Super Bowl winners from the last 20 or so. How many teams won it without a QB playing at a very high level? Not many at all.

This is hands down the most illogical post I have ever seen.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre's just a guy who had a hard time making up his mind and walking way from the game. I don't think that makes him a bad guy.

Plus, I'd play for the Vikings in an instant for $15 million, especially if I decided I wasn't ready to hang it up and my first team wanted to move on. Yes, Favre kept changing his mind, but again, I don't think that makes him a bad guy.

It is interesting how Favre is a traitor, but other guys who have done the same aren't. I haven't seen anyone call Julius Peppers or Jennings or Longwell a traitor. Only counts though if a player leaves the Packers though and he's really good though?

Favre's number deserves to be retired and I hope it happens soon.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favres number not being retired is a joke. Yes some morons will boo him. There are a lot of idiots out there with short memories and no brains (one reason it's so easy to make money in the stock market). Without Favre (along with Ron Wolf and to a lesser extent Holmgren), the Green Bay Packers would be Cleveland today, and Lambeau Field would be a deteriorating dump. The Favre era revitalized a dying franchise, and the Favre era would not occur without Favre. People who want to demonize him because he played for other teams after the Packers or get embroiled in the he said she said blah blah blah need to get a life. He's one of the best football players to ever wear a packer jersey......period. This is professional football, playing for money...... Adios Jennings welcome Julius Peppers, ....... Heck welcome Reggie White adios Reggie White. Let idiots boo, I don't really think deep down Brett cares. With all he accomplished does he really care what some beered up bozo does?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I think Favre's just a guy who had a hard time making up his mind and walking way from the game. I don't think that makes him a bad guy.

Plus, I'd play for the Vikings in an instant for $15 million, especially if I decided I wasn't ready to hang it up and my first team wanted to move on. Yes, Favre kept changing his mind, but again, I don't think that makes him a bad guy.

It is interesting how Favre is a traitor, but other guys who have done the same aren't. I haven't seen anyone call Julius Peppers or Jennings or Longwell a traitor. Only counts though if a player leaves the Packers though and he's really good though?

Favre's number deserves to be retired and I hope it happens soon.

You're right, no one is calling Julius Peppers, Greg Jennings, or Ryan Longwell traitors.....because they signed free agent contracts with another team. They didn't retire and embarrass themselves for 4 years.

Having a hard time walking away from the game doesn't make him a bad guy, but the way he did it combined with being a drug addict and enjoying walking around in only his crocs and taking pictures does.

This is without a doubt the most illogical post I've ever seen.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, no one is calling Julius Peppers, Greg Jennings, or Ryan Longwell traitors.....because they signed free agent contracts with another team. They didn't retire and embarrass themselves for 4 years.

Having a hard time walking away from the game doesn't make him a bad guy, but the way he did it combined with being a drug addict and enjoying walking around in only his crocs and taking pictures does.

This is without a doubt the most illogical post I've ever seen.

LOL where did Favre embarrass himself ? He almost made another SB with a different team. He wasn't embarrassed in the slightest nor does he care what some random fan on a forum thinks of him.

Members online

Latest posts