Brett favre number not to be retired this year

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, never go on the road looking for a fight. I act how I would like fans of the opposition to act while at MetLife (I have Jets season tickets, so I know how annoying how some opposing fans can be). I sit quietly unless we make a huge play, or score a TD - and never taunt. Unless I'm up in New England. ;)

Packer fans won't have to worry about my friends and I. We look at Green Bay as the place to go to if you're an NFL fan and we've been saving up/looking forward to this trip for a while. Green Bay is the mecca of football.

In general---viking fans are the worse I have seen in GB

L7Panda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In general---viking fans are the worse I have seen in GB

I'm sure that has to do a lot with your rivalry with them. We feel the same away about Miami fans. New England comes second. I'm sure Chicago comes second for you.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure that has to do a lot with your rivalry with them. We feel the same away about Miami fans. New England comes second. I'm sure Chicago comes second for you.

Actually, you would be surprised. In the 80's, it was really bad, due to the Packers having thug antics and other not-so-endearing things going on, on and off the field. But since the early 90's, Packer-Bear games in Green Bay and Chicago are both overall, quite peaceful between the fans. Every single Bears fan I've ever known who has gone to the game in Green Bay, has said the experience was awesome and that they had zero problems with anyone. I mean, all it takes is a drunk idiot to start running his mouth and problems can happen. But I've neither seen, or heard of any of this, for the past 20 years or so.

The Vikings are another story. Their fans generally come to Green Bay and ask for trouble. Not all of them, obviously, but as a single fan base, they easily cause more problems than any other team. Lions fans are great. They are less bitter of losers, evidently!

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should make a video of all of the great moments we had with Favre and show it to the crowd right before Favre comes out.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

Hard to have a rivalry with a team that never wins. I at least have respect for the Bears because they won titles. Vikings fans are a rare breed.......cocky, but with absolutely nothing to back up their cockiness.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still far too soon. I think give it as long as his career was in Green Bay before you retire the number. Then un-retire it...then retire it again. then think about it some more, unretired it, then retire it.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what a bunch of media contrived silliness. - last year,this year next year, it wouldnt matter. All the fans will cheer Favre. He is one the greatest statistical QBs of all time and made the Packers relevant again. All the pseudo debates about loyalty or what ever mean nothing. I still want a Favre Jets and Vikings jerseys too !

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to have a rivalry with a team that never wins. I at least have respect for the Bears because they won titles. Vikings fans are a rare breed.......cocky, but with absolutely nothing to back up their cockiness.

the Viking have been more valid over the last 50 years than the Bears have as far as post season amount of games is concerned. But the Bears and Packers are like the Hatfield's and McCoy's or what ever that was called

pduck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason I have trouble with the Packer organization worshiping Brett Favre has less to do with him going to a rival and more to do with the hatred he displayed for the Packers after he left. It’s certainly possible for a Packer to go to another team and do it with class. Remember Aaron Kampman? But Favre had so much animosity towards us that he gave tips to the Lion on how to beat us, had his wife parade around in a jersey that read, “Thanks Ted,” and openly cheered for other teams to beat us, telling Julius Peppers to “Go and beat the Packers.”

To Packer fans, Favre was the favorite son. We worshipped him. We had his back through his Vicodin addiction, we cried with him when his father died, and we sympathized with him when Deanna had cancer. And for that, he treated us with distain.

What would I like to see? How about an apology? I don’t think I ever heard one for the way he treated the Packers and us fans. Maybe if he issued an explanation for why he felt so bitter towards the Packers, I’d be more willing to welcome him back. And not one of those wishy-washy, “both sides made mistakes” kind of apology. I’ll welcome him back when he shows true contrition for the way he treated us. I’ll welcome him back when he shows some love for us, the same way we used to love him.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason I have trouble with the Packer organization worshiping Brett Favre has less to do with him going to a rival and more to do with the hatred he displayed for the Packers after he left. It’s certainly possible for a Packer to go to another team and do it with class. Remember Aaron Kampman? But Favre had so much animosity towards us that he gave tips to the Lion on how to beat us, had his wife parade around in a jersey that read, “Thanks Ted,” and openly cheered for other teams to beat us, telling Julius Peppers to “Go and beat the Packers.”

To Packer fans, Favre was the favorite son. We worshipped him. We had his back through his Vicodin addiction, we cried with him when his father died, and we sympathized with him when Deanna had cancer. And for that, he treated us with distain.

What would I like to see? How about an apology? I don’t think I ever heard one for the way he treated the Packers and us fans. Maybe if he issued an explanation for why he felt so bitter towards the Packers, I’d be more willing to welcome him back. And not one of those wishy-washy, “both sides made mistakes” kind of apology. I’ll welcome him back when he shows true contrition for the way he treated us. I’ll welcome him back when he shows some love for us, the same way we used to love him.

he showed his love by playing consecutive games for the roaring masses. He showed his love by being upset the Packers didn't do everything in their power to keep him there. Its sports, everyone forgives and moves on

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
He retired and then wined like a little girl with a skinned knee when we gave the job to the current best QB in the NFL. He's a womanizing, lying, arrogant, ex-drug addict. How is he still married? Frankly after the nude selfie incident I'm surprised Deanna didn't leave him.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He retired and then wined like a little girl with a skinned knee when we gave the job to the current best QB in the NFL. He's a womanizing, lying, arrogant, ex-drug addict. How is he still married? Frankly after the nude selfie incident I'm surprised Deanna didn't leave him.

that would be Peyton Manning:)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes, 3 Super Bowl appearances by the greatest modern QB is such trash to be mocked
37 TDs and 24 picks in the post season.

If those numbers were anywhere near the qualityhe puts up in the reg season you wouldn't need to boast about his appearances, you would be talking rings.

Great regular season QB though lol

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
37 TDs and 24 picks in the post season.

If those numbers were anywhere near the qualityhe puts up in the reg season you wouldn't need to boast about his appearances, you would be talking rings.

Great regular season QB though lol

sheesh wiz, Him and Favre are top 10 greats all time currently.Not a whole bunch of negative in that

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sheesh wiz, Him and Favre are top 10 greats all time currently.Not a whole bunch of negative in that

I dont have favre in my top 10 but I get the argument for slipping him in there towards the bottom of the top 10.

D

Dan115

Favre wants the Packer fans to request him to come back for a retirement in his honor. He wanted the Packers to beg him to come back and play.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
what a bunch of media contrived silliness. - last year,this year next year, it wouldnt matter. All the fans will cheer Favre.
It’s not media contrived – read this forum and you’ll see plenty of Packers fans who say they will boo Favre. Murphy admits it and so does Favre – that’s what is delaying his return to Lambeau.
He is one the greatest statistical QBs of all time and made the Packers relevant again. All the pseudo debates about loyalty or what ever mean nothing.
Bob Harlan, Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren had more to do with making the Packers relevant again than Favre.
I still want a Favre Jets and Vikings jerseys too !
Based on your name, I’m guessing you’re a Rams fan and this statement confirms you aren’t a Packers fan so why are you so concerned about this? BTW, I’m sure those jerseys are for sale so you’re free to buy them.

I became a Packers fan before Lombardi arrived so I never viewed Favre as more important than the franchise – in fact I never viewed him as the best player or even the best QB to ever play for the Packers. For three or four seasons he was the best, or one of the two or three best, players in the league. But he betrayed the team that made him rich and famous. There is no “pseudo” debate about loyalty – Favre was disloyal in the extreme. So much so I don’t think he deserves the highest honor the team can bestow upon a player. As I posted above if Favre really wants to mend fences, the first step is a sincere apology – perhaps he can show at least half of the emotion of his phony “retirement” press conference.

If I were in the stands when Favre was introduced right now I would join those booing. If he offers a sincere apology, I wouldn't boo but I wouldn't cheer or applaud him. IMO he ruined his reputation both as a member of the Packers and as a man. I can forgive if he apologizes but I won't forget.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All these "Favre sucks!!!" guys are right! Sure, he only lead the Packers to two Super Bowls (winning one), won three MVPs and helped bring the Packers franchise back to national relevancy but all that is immaterial because it turned out he was a Packers employee the whole time and not a fan! How dare he allow the business side of football to interfere with the football side of the game! Nevermind that him going to New York and Minnesota actually turned out very well for the Packers since we got Rodgers to start playing quarterback, Favre should never have his number retired because he created a situation that ESPN managed to blow WAY out of proportion and therefore annoy people.

----anyone booing Favre would be allowing a minor annoyance to overshadow an amazing Packers career. The idea that everything he did for the franchise should be overshadowed by the end of his career is just silly.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
All these "Favre sucks!!!" guys are right! Sure, he only lead the Packers to two Super Bowls (winning one), won three MVPs and helped bring the Packers franchise back to national relevancy but all that is immaterial because it turned out he was a Packers employee the whole time and not a fan! How dare he allow the business side of football to interfere with the football side of the game! Nevermind that him going to New York and Minnesota actually turned out very well for the Packers since we got Rodgers to start playing quarterback, Favre should never have his number retired because he created a situation that ESPN managed to blow WAY out of proportion and therefore annoy people.

----anyone booing Favre would be allowing a minor annoyance to overshadow an amazing Packers career. The idea that everything he did for the franchise should be overshadowed by the end of his career is just silly.

Playing head games with the organization and having that "larger than the packers" attitude upon his retire/unretire game....c'mon man. No matter what he did for the organization, he let down the fans, the franchise, teammates and then consistantly bashed upon the team that made him who he was. Telling other players to leave GB and telling them to go to the vikes....c'mon. What a traitor. It was his drama queen attitude that started all this crap and now we are just supposed to roll over and say it's all ok because some time passed or because of what he did stats wise? No freakin way man, he burned all his bridges and then some. I understand the "its a job or business aspect", just leave gracefully, allow the torch to be passed and then go away to another team. No need to do the the secrative spy appraoch and play for another team for one year, retire again, unretire again and join one of out most hated enemies.... to hell with that guy. Brent who?

Members online

Latest posts