Brett favre number not to be retired this year

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's no surprise you don't get it - being a fan of "every team" means you really aren't a fan of any particular team. You'd have to be a Packers fan to understand what I posted.

I do get it actually. The point is anyone who believes what you think a fan is, is intellectually inferior.

for all I know you are joking ,I'm not sure ? did you not say you are in your 70s or there about ?

sports is not a gang war anymore. I can intellectually know anything I choose to know about any team and therefore call myself a fan without needing to be foolishly, emotionally involved,. or prove anything to anyone.

as a matter of fact it was the Packers who taught me how unimportant single team fanatic behavior was at an early age.

My dad came from Random Lake (the Schulz farm,if you will LOL) I was born in California. A Rams fan of course and in the 70s they always won the division while the Packers sucked in theirs in the 70s.
77 or 78' we visited my grandparents and went to packers camp. I in a sons playful way at 12 or 13 would tease dad about the Rams being good and the Packers not...until I went to that camp. I knew the Packers were bad but I realized every team does what they do and works their *** off in the sun. I was in shock as a child that guys in 1978 were practicing one handed 10 yard bullet catches with no gloves or stickum at the time...etc.

I learned every team has to go through what they did, every team does this and gained a little empathy for dad rooting for a losing team LOL. I got Loftons rookie autograph the second day we went along with Barty Smith, David Whitehurst and Ezra Johnson ! So I later also learned the game is full of players that don't last 10 years and aren't all all stars but without them the game does not continue and grow and flourish .

as the years went on through high school I read tons of sports illustrated,inside sports and sport magazine articles about many different pro and college players and their lives and how they fought and strived to become pro's or great players and became a fan of each one as I read each story.
LOL I went through the stages of hating the Celtics or Larry Bird or the Cowboys or Steelers or what ever..but I like them now because they are a great piece of sports history.
the fact is between the 2 of us I'm the only actual real sports fan because I understand what sports and the men who play it is and isn't.

its visual entertainment. I don't need to follow one team religiously and I don't need to know a damn thing about them to call myself a fan or root for them in any way I choose to. The NFL is a corporate business, its not a bunch a tribes battling each other to please the local's who root for them.

sports is the ultimate reality tv but some still don't know how to process what being a fan actually means and how unimportant it is.

I like sports uniform and helmet histories too and collecting stuff involved. Only collecting stuff for one team would be really boring..although nothing would clash color wise LOL

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I do get it actually. The point is anyone who believes what you think a fan is, is intellectually inferior.

as the years went on through high school I read tons of sports illustrated,inside sports and sport magazine articles about many different pro and college players and their lives and how they fought and strived to become pro's or great players and became a fan of each one as I read each story.
LOL I went through the stages of hating the Celtics or Larry Bird or the Cowboys or Steelers or what ever..but I like them now because they are a great piece of sports history.
the fact is between the 2 of us I'm the only actual real sports fan because I understand what sports and the men who play it is and isn't.

its visual entertainment. I don't need to follow one team religiously and I don't need to know a damn thing about them to call myself a fan or root for them in any way I choose to. The NFL is a corporate business, its not a bunch a tribes battling each other to please the local's who root for them.

I get everyone comes from different situations, I was born in Green Bay and have lived here my entire life. My dad got his season tickets in 1968 and my parents have been rabid Packer fans ever since. My dad stopped enjoying the cold weather games several years ago and he passed the tickets on to me. The Packers are in my blood and the thought of supporting any other team is nauseating. That doesn't mean I don't like other players or respect other players, however the thought of cheering for another team is unthinkable, and it can be baffling to myself and other fans that anyone would cheer for another team.

I respect what you're saying, and as I said before we'll agree to disagree, but I will be booing Mr. Favre with my back turned to the field when they retire his number.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

better not after the effort I just put in typing that
Very articulate too :tup:. Its just that this one single subject causes so much trouble on here. The pro lobby has it`s opinion which will not change, and the anti lobby has it`s own. Neither side will change the others opinion and it just gets ugly. I have my own private and personal opinion of Favre and nobody will change it, although many try.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Very articulate too :tup:. Its just that this one single subject causes so much trouble on here. The pro lobby has it`s opinion which will not change, and the anti lobby has it`s own. Neither side will change the others opinion and it just gets ugly. I have my own private and personal opinion of Favre and nobody will change it, although many try.

Fun to debate tho. ;)

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers retire Favre's jersey or not, it won't change the fact that he will be a first ballot hall of famer and own all the important QB records for the foreseeable future.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You don't know anything about what I understand about what sports “is and isn’t” (yikes). From what you've posted I understand you aren't a Packers fan. Everything you post reinforces that. You apparently think anyone who is a fan of a particular team is inferior to you; that includes the majority of NFL fans. Apparently you need to believe that to boost your self-esteem.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

for all I know you are joking ,I'm not sure ? did you not say you are in your 70s or there about ?

sports is not a gang war anymore. I can intellectually know anything I choose to know about any team and therefore call myself a fan without needing to be foolishly, emotionally involved,. or prove anything to anyone.

as a matter of fact it was the Packers who taught me how unimportant single team fanatic behavior was at an early age.

My dad came from Random Lake (the Schulz farm,if you will LOL) I was born in California. A Rams fan of course and in the 70s they always won the division while the Packers sucked in theirs in the 70s.
77 or 78' we visited my grandparents and went to packers camp. I in a sons playful way at 12 or 13 would tease dad about the Rams being good and the Packers not...until I went to that camp. I knew the Packers were bad but I realized every team does what they do and works their *** off in the sun. I was in shock as a child that guys in 1978 were practicing one handed 10 yard bullet catches with no gloves or stickum at the time...etc.

I learned every team has to go through what they did, every team does this and gained a little empathy for dad rooting for a losing team LOL. I got Loftons rookie autograph the second day we went along with Barty Smith, David Whitehurst and Ezra Johnson ! So I later also learned the game is full of players that don't last 10 years and aren't all all stars but without them the game does not continue and grow and flourish .

sports is the ultimate reality tv but some still don't know how to process what being a fan actually means and how unimportant it is.

I like sports uniform and helmet histories too and collecting stuff involved. Only collecting stuff for one team would be really boring..although nothing would clash color wise LOL
I appreciate your insights. I really do at seeing where you're coming from.
That explains a lot why you don't agree with those of us who have some disdain for Favre.

He was great as a Packer but he ruined that by being a terrible human being.
That's how it is for a lot of us Packers fans.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate your insights. I really do at seeing where you're coming from.
That explains a lot why you don't agree with those of us who have some disdain for Favre.

He was great as a Packer but he ruined that by being a terrible human being.
That's how it is for a lot of us Packers fans.

a self absorbed athlete had marital problems. That describes most of America especially the latter category.
he is retired now. He didn't pull any OJ or for that matter Ty Cobb crap LOL.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it very curious that they have put a lock on the message board over on the OBF.
a self absorbed athlete had marital problems. That describes most of America especially the latter category.
he is retired now. He didn't pull any OJ or for that matter Ty Cobb crap LOL.
Why? What did Ty Cobb do?

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't know anything about what I understand about what sports “is and isn’t” (yikes). From what you've posted I understand you aren't a Packers fan. Everything you post reinforces that. You apparently think anyone who is a fan of a particular team is inferior to you; that includes the majority of NFL fans. Apparently you need to believe that to boost your self-esteem.

how the heck am I not a Packers fan ?

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it very curious that they have put a lock on the message board over on the OBF.

Why? What did Ty Cobb do?

he was the original primadonna. Pretty much mauled a guy in the stands at a game. Did you ever watch the whole Burn's baseball documentary ? talked a lot about the history of Cobb

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers retire Favre's jersey or not, it won't change the fact that he will be a first ballot hall of famer and own all the important QB records for the foreseeable future.

Peyton Manning needs only 18 TD passes to surpass Favre, a record he will break in 2014, and trails him by 6,874 career passing yards, a mark he would probably reach if he decides to return for another season in 2015.

Don´t worry though, his INT and fumble records are safe for the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton Manning needs only 18 TD passes to surpass Favre, a record he will break in 2014, and trails him by 6,874 career passing yards, a mark he would probably reach if he decides to return for another season in 2015.

Amazing that people are now celebrating the negatives of Favre...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Jack you are correct....the Packers 96 defense was amazing......front four of White, Dotson, Brown, and Jones. We had Koonce, Williams, Hollingquist, and Wayne Simmons (RIP) at LB and the best defensive secondary we have ever had IMO with Doug Evans, Craig Newsome, LeRoy, and Eugene Robinson.

Not to mention our amazing receiving corps, two pro bowl tight ends and a phenomenal offensive line. We wont that Super Bowl because of our team.

Amazing WR corp? The storied Antonio Freeman (who was always a #2 WR who Favre turned into a #1), the immortal Don Beebee and six weeks of Robert Brooks? That's an amazing receiving corp?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Amazing WR corp? The storied Antonio Freeman (who was always a #2 WR who Favre turned into a #1), the immortal Don Beebee and six weeks of Robert Brooks? That's an amazing receiving corp?

Robert Brooks had several 1000 yard receiving seasons. In 95 he had 102 receptions, 1497 yards, and 13 TDS, not too shabby. The year we wont the super bowl he played in seven regular season games and had 7 TDs. Robert Brooks was a fantastic receiver. Freeman's stats are even better. In the late 90's he had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons scoring double digit TDs all three years. Beebe was a solid possession receiver, a lot like Wes Welker. You're also forgetting that those teams had two AMAZING receiving tight ends in Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura, not to mention the fact that during the Super Bowl run Favre had Andre Rison to throw to. That was a pretty damn good receiving group, and if you don't know that, you probably weren't watching the Packers in the mid to late 90's.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Robert Brooks had several 1000 yard receiving seasons. In 95 he had 102 receptions, 1497 yards, and 13 TDS, not too shabby. The year we wont the super bowl he played in seven regular season games and had 7 TDs. Robert Brooks was a fantastic receiver. Freeman's stats are even better. In the late 90's he had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons scoring double digit TDs all three years. Beebe was a solid possession receiver, a lot like Wes Welker. You're also forgetting that those teams had two AMAZING receiving tight ends in Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura, not to mention the fact that during the Super Bowl run Favre had Andre Rison to throw to. That was a pretty damn good receiving group, and if you don't know that, you probably weren't watching the Packers in the mid to late 90's.

Guess some people are forgetting that there was a time when we also had a DAMN GREAT WR who had his career cut short due to injury..... how easily we forget about sterling sharpe.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't know Manning was that close. I better catch up on my stats at NFL.com

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score

none of that was possible without Favre. I guarantee with no doubt that Brunell wouldn't have made any of that possible in the passing game. Receivers are no more amazing unless the ball gets to them.

and of course Favre leads the league in certain negative stats. You cant succeed unless you try and he did it longer than most anyone. He must be the reason Green Bay succeeded because it was damn well obvious he was the Reason the Vikings succeeded while he was slower and older by then.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts