Bret Retire NOW

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that we have gotten the "Favre retire" thing out of our system let's move on. Can we lock this thread forever?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the game:

THE REAL CAUSE OF THE LOSS...

Ryan Grant performed poorly in Lambeau conditions and it showed that his running style was not conducive to the weather.

oakland game 156 yards,29 carries 5.4 per carry 18 degrees and got colder as game went on

chicago 14 carries 100 yards 16 degrees windchill -18

yup cant run in cold weather

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Packnic said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I have seen Favre throw balls and the recievers not catching them, I have also seen Favre telling the guy he did the wrong route, so we blame Brett for this? Dont get me wrong I have seen Brett make some poor throws as well, but I will never condem any of them as a single person making the mistake, again its the entire team. And the entire team wins the football game and the entire team looses the football game. Otherwise why have so many players on a team when we are only going to blame one person. Crazy

i think what mlps is trying to say is that... if we won that game the headlines and most people on this site would be saying...

FAVRE DOES IT AGAIN!!! not THE PACK WINS!!!

When you get all the credit for wins, you get all the blame for losses... its just how it goes. I think Brett is a big boy and can take both.

And you said that you've seen Brett make some poor throws, but you wont blame him. Ummm, if Brett makes poor throws, even when he has time in the pocket and the receiver is open... then it is definetly Favres fault. Not that it happens a whole lot.... im just making the point that if your QB doesnt make the correct throw ... you dont have a good shot at winning.

Case in point... 3rd down 4th quarter... Brett missed an open Donald Driver that would have made a world of difference. Its not Bretts fault we lost this game... but it was his fault that we missed that particular opportunity.

Its a fine line we walk all the time on this touchy subject. Again not blaming Favre... just making sure he gets the same blame as the other players. and people should just quit with the O-line crap right now. They handled a pretty stout D-line and gave Brett plenty of time.

You see...I thought you knew about football...because in football (the ultimate team sport)...one thing kind of depends on another...

Because if the O-Line played so great as you say...then the Packers would have had a running game instead of just getting 28 yards the whole game and being extremely one dimensional. If they had this, then it would have kept the Giants honest and they would have had to respect the run all game, which they didn't, and it would have set up the pass so the receivers would have been open in the 4th Qtr...which the weren't! That's a pretty funny idea you have of good offensive line play...28 rushing yards. The Packers couldn't even run a screen play because the Giants were blowing them up all night.

Also...I'm sure that you believe that defense wins championships, right?
Well...it would have been nice if the Packer defense could have made one or two stops and made the Giants punt during the game....but they didn't show up either! But the Giants defense sure did!

So, the O-Line sucked at run blocking and the defense just sucked in general...

But by all means...blame the whole loss on Favre, because that is what you really want to do without objectively looking at and understanding the game of football as a whole....

That makes a lot of sense to me.

I was going to write again until I seen this post, nicely put Fuzznuts!!

The thing is everyone on the team made mistakes last night, it wasnt the "one" interception by Favre that cost us, of course it did not help but it didnt cost us this whole game. I do not blame "one" individual, such as Harris, Favre, Grant etc....they kicked themselves in the foot in this game. Now when some say that Favre now should retire because of this one bad play he made, is totally crazy IMO. He was the one that got us where we were to this point. I NEVER blame just one person in a game usually its alot of players combined. Okay so I posted anyways. :)

First of all fuzznuts, genius... if the team simply comes out and says that you will not run the ball.... you wont. They can stack the box.. that leaves room behind them to pass the ball around. Due to the weather, incompetent quarterback play and lazy routes and all around ineffectiveness we couldnt do that. Its not the end of the world and im not heaping all the blame on favre. Bottom line is, 5 guys cant block 8. YET The oline played a great game in the fact that they did what they could do in the run game... and kept Favre safe. he had plenty of time to operate.

I am not saying Brett should retire. Im very ok with him coming back. I think what people are saying is ... maybe its time we let someone else try... because we havent won an NFC championship since 1997. I think some people think this may be as far as old Brett can take us.

again im not blaming favre or asking for his retirment.. I LOVE THE GUY. Im just saying that it can be his fault sometimes and holding onto something too long can be very detrimental to a teams future.
ALL THAT SAID... he will be back next year, because he will not go out on an interception. And i welcome him.

but you guys need to learn that your the reason people hate Favre or call him Lord Favre. because you think he can do no wrong... which evidenced by last nights game... he cleary can do wrong. just be sensible thats all i ask.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:
The way I saw the game I don't know if I've ever seen more of a complete team loss so to blame one player is ridiculous. But if you want Favre to retire I guess so should Manning, Romo, Rivers,Hasslebach and Big Ben. It's quit clear those guys don't have what it takes anymore

Ahh...this was like some sort of "clever" sarcasm post to indicate
people who make any comment about Favre are being foolish.

Ah I gotcha! What were we all thinking? haha. Too funny.

Let's see here.

Manning = Still can't win the big game. He only won against the Chicago bears. He crumbled against San Diego. Big stat guy, still not big game guy. Not just my opinion. His hometown is tearing him apart.

Romo = He has lost every big game he's been in. He's got to prove otherwise. Has to prove he can play under pressure. Hasn't done that.

Rivers = He crumbles under pressure and starts blaming his teammates in many situations. His suspect arm and decision making are quite visible in playoff situations.

Hassellbach = Mediocre QB. Mediocre team. They are just a medium grade team and a QB who has reached his full potential. That's as far as they'll go.

Rothlisberger= Protected by a dominant defense and strong running game his early years. Completely choked in the Superbowl and was lucky to win w/the defense bailing him out. He has not proven he can win a game w/his arm and the new offense.

BRETT FAVRE=Magician and bailed out flawed Green Bay teams w/his gunslinging. He was the X-factor that put the Pack over teams they had no business beating.

NOW the team is young and unproven and growing together. He is still a good QB but can no longer be the person to bail them out each time.
By the team the team matures into a full TEAM...Brett will need to hand the reigns over.

Cal I can actually see a lot of what you're saying and I was actually pointing out Favre had as much to do with the loss as any other member. My point was for the pesimistic fans of 31 teams they can say after every year they need a new QB cause their guy couldn't get it done. That doesn't leave a QB very good odds of pleasing everyone. I just think it's crazy to say a guy who was the runner-up MVP needs to move on. And I can't quit understand why you figure he won't be around by the time we're SB ready. If in one year he can go from 8-8 to 13-3 and NFC title game is a SB next year that big a leap. Not being rude just asking :)

favreisdaman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who ever think brett should retire is ungratefull!!brett has worked his whole football carreer to give us some kind of hope,the man has worked his butt off for us!!has giving packer fans a reason to wake up every morning and say " hey we have a chance for the super bowl this year"...... the man period!!!!!!!!!!!! and you just want to give up on him just like this???? go pull for the bears or patriots! us true packer/favre fans dont need ya!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all fuzznuts, genius... if the team simply comes out and says that you will not run the ball.... you wont. They can stack the box.. that leaves room behind them to pass the ball around. Due to the weather, incompetent quarterback play and lazy routes and all around ineffectiveness we couldnt do that. Its not the end of the world and im not heaping all the blame on favre. Bottom line is, 5 guys cant block 8. YET The oline played a great game in the fact that they did what they could do in the run game... and kept Favre safe. he had plenty of time to operate.

I am not saying Brett should retire. Im very ok with him coming back. I think what people are saying is ... maybe its time we let someone else try... because we havent won an NFC championship since 1997. I think some people think this may be as far as old Brett can take us.

again im not blaming favre or asking for his retirment.. I LOVE THE GUY. Im just saying that it can be his fault sometimes and holding onto something too long can be very detrimental to a teams future.
ALL THAT SAID... he will be back next year, because he will not go out on an interception. And i welcome him.

but you guys need to learn that your the reason people hate Favre or call him Lord Favre. because you think he can do no wrong... which evidenced by last nights game... he cleary can do wrong. just be sensible thats all i ask.

First of all...in the first half, they did stack the box, and Favre was completing passes over the middle of the field. He threw two TD's and they kicked a FG in the first half, and they were winning by halftime.

Now, in the second half, the Giants backed off the box and we still couldn't run the ball, nor could our WR's get open. Go back and watch the game again. Also, for some reason...McCarthy went away from the middle of the field and started going deep. Not a good idea in such conditions....

The Giants were able to run the ball and open up the pass....

Not so, the Packers...the Giants were able to stuff the run, and still lock down our WR's for some reason and that is why there were alot of 3 and out's in the second half.

The Giants just whipped the Packers on both sides of the ball...

There is no other explanation.

That is why they lost. The Packers became one dimensional....

Just like the first half of the Dallas game this year...!

(ps..i told you guys not to underestimate the Giants..damn...i wish that it were'nt true!)

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had on the NFL network yesterday, and they think Favre will be back, but the also stated that if Favre does retire it will take many years for us to get this far with Rodgers, he hasnt proven himself as of yet and nor will he ever be Brett Favre. Finally something nice being said about our QB.

People can call Favre anything they want, he has been with this team for so long and it will be a sad day when he does retire. When we start loosing games because we have Rodgers then people will say, "why did Brett retire"? "We need him". Again that decision is up to Favre and his family. If he does retire In 5 years I will be in Ohio watching him get into the Hall of Fame.

I have never said that Favre can do no wrong, yes he has made his share of interceptions just like any other QB the man is not perfect just like I am not perfect and you are not perfect. But it does take an entire team to win a football game.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had on the NFL network yesterday, and they think Favre will be back, but the also stated that if Favre does retire it will take many years for us to get this far with Rodgers, he hasnt proven himself as of yet and nor will he ever be Brett Favre. Finally something nice being said about our QB.

I am definitely a Favre fanatic, but that is a little rich for the NFL network to say that. I liken our situation to the Chargers of a few years back. No doubt that Drew Brees is/was the better quarterback, but when a team has talent in the key areas even a step back in the QB department should not affect the team too much. I say we still compete quite well in the playoffs with the nucleus of talent we have in the organization should Favre decide that this is the end of the road for his career and Rodgers becomes our starter. That being said Favre still gives us our best chance to win the SuperBowl.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Given the bad weather, Favre played alright. As good as you could ask of him on such weather.

He kept things alive, was throwing hard, and for the most part sharp.

He doesn't need to pack it in yet, he still has it.

Exactly. Look how he played the week before. He looked like he was playing 12 years ago. The under handed pass for a first down while struggling to maintain balance reminded me of the two handed chest pass to Dorsey Levens during a Kevin Greene sack in the NFC Championship against the Panthers.

Favre's performance in this year's NFC title game, including the interception in overtime, does not warrant retirement. He is still able to play at a high caliber, mentally and physically.

Anyone who is willing to give up on him for the other night and call for his retirement, does not have his head on straight and I would question their loyalty.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone remember where the Bronco's were at after the 96 season. Fans calling for Elaway to retire cause he couldn't get them over the hump. What if he would of listened? Those same fans didn't seem to upset when he delivered 2 SB trophies to them

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember where the Bronco's were at after the 96 season. Fans calling for Elaway to retire cause he couldn't get them over the hump. What if he would of listened? Those same fans didn't seem to upset when he delivered 2 SB trophies to them

He NEEDED T.D to help deliver those 2 trophies

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I disagree. But we need to find a way to keep his old *** warm in these late-winter games.

he can't get it done in the cold anymore.

Putting a hot pack down the front of your facemask??? *****

However, he had an unbelievable year. How can you pukes possibly say he needs to retire after a couple bad cold weather games? Look at his stats this year.

AMEN!

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:

He NEEDED T.D to help deliver those 2 trophies

Perfect, so we're set. He got TD and now we got Grant. Ready for next year :pop:

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, he should not retire unless he becomes worse than our backup, when that happens Favre should go.

I honestly don't think you can do the one-on-one comparison. You really have to look at it as Rodgers and what we can invest in with the savings from Brett's contract. Normally I would say that Brett still wins this easily, but as the years go by it becomes more and more of a difficult decision.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys all know the Favre we all know would have pulled his magic and somehow found us a way to win this game. He didnt and he doesnt have it anymore. Yes everyone knew that if we lost this thread was coming but everyone is extremly mad. Maybe Favre could come back next year and do great but we also have one of the youngest teams and maybe its time to give it to Rodgers and lead this ship. Look at Favre in Dallas game he looked like trash and got all caught up in something. Look what happened when Rodgers came in he moved us right down the field. No more excuses we faced the same Dallas team both halves.

And what happens if Rodgers throws an interception leading to a loss in a playoff game? Do we throw him to the wolves as well?

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
starpass said:
nuff said.

I seriously want to punch you in the face right now.

We shouldn't punch closet Vikings fans in the face. Just take heart knowing next year the Vikings will probably be 8 and 8, while we are in the playoffs again...

with Favre...

and probably in the Super Bowl...

with Favre...

And Favre will be holding the Lombardi trophy, much to the dismay and guilt of the naysayers.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense92 said..

And what happens if Rodgers throws an interception leading to a loss in a playoff game? Do we throw him to the wolves as well?

We rip him a new *******....
:shock: :lol:

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo threw a pick to seal a Giants' victory eliminating Dallas from the playoffs. Romo needs to retire.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo threw a pick to seal a Giants' victory eliminating Dallas from the playoffs. Romo needs to retire.

Romo's young. Favre's 38 and is definitely in decline.
That's why the satire doesn't work.

Romo and other "young" quarterbacks can get better and have more opportunities to do so.

As Favre is going to be 39..and taking away from opportunities for
our young QB to "grow into the role"

you know..the thing you guys claim he lacks?
Why do you think he lacks the growth?
You can't grow w/someone in the way.

The first 3 years, I believe their relationship was healthy.
Now in year 4..they are officially in each other's way

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still take Farve over I need a freaking haircut Manning.

DEFINATELY!

Honestly, having a game this cold was NOT in our favor with the type of offense we have.

We would have been better off if Dallas beat N.Y. and we had to play Dallas on the road. I honestly think we would have won that game.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense92 said:

Romo's young. Favre's 38 and is definitely in decline.
That's why the satire doesn't work.

Ages of the two aside, it's the same action and same result.

As far as getting in each other's way, this is nothing against Rodgers, but right now, this is Favre's team. Rodgers can wait for Favre to retire, or if the opportunity presents itself to start somewhere else in the meantime, consider that as an option. Maybe, Rodgers won't be the quarterback of the future in Green Bay. Again, I don't mean anything against Rodgers. He performed well against Dallas. I agree with you on the growth thing. He won't be able to grow as much by merely being a backup, which is why starting somewhere else would be a good option.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well lets see,

Bush and Williams are young and Harris and Woodson are older...let's sit them too.
Tauscher too. And Clifton. And after all, Driver is getting up there and in the way of Ruvell playing.

this is the NFL. You play who gives you the best chance to win. Do you want the talent of this team to be wasted while waiting for Rodger to "Grow" into the position? I think that experiment played out in Chicago.....how'd that work?

I am excited because I think Rodgers will be a good fit once favre retires. He showed promise, however, we have no idea how good he is once other teams start preparing for him. But until Favre declines physically or retires, he is a much better QB than Rodger is.

Rodgers might just be a career backup with the packers.....at $3MM a season, it's not a bad gig.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well lets see,

Bush and Williams are young and Harris and Woodson are older...let's sit them too.
Tauscher too. And Clifton. And after all, Driver is getting up there and in the way of Ruvell playing.

this is the NFL. You play who gives you the best chance to win. Do you want the talent of this team to be wasted while waiting for Rodger to "Grow" into the position? I think that experiment played out in Chicago.....how'd that work?

I am excited because I think Rodgers will be a good fit once favre retires. He showed promise, however, we have no idea how good he is once other teams start preparing for him. But until Favre declines physically or retires, he is a much better QB than Rodger is.

Rodgers might just be a career backup with the packers.....at $3MM a season, it's not a bad gig.

You guys are hilarious. Can't really get the AGE point until you stretch it out to absurdity.

Let's talk when Harris or Woodson is 38....

Ummm..it's not 3 million per season that AR's getting as a backup (check the previous threads on this).

He makes 1.7 million and change as the backup.
He has an escalator clause that bumps his salary to 5 mil if he were to start.

Since Brett has "come back" all FOUR years of the 5 years on Aaron's deal
Brett's actually costs Aaron about 12 million bucks.

Now for him to sit back and be gracious about that is REAL character.

Do you go w/the player that shows signs he can be the man, or do you go w/the man who is nearing the end?

The Brett Favre blinders prevent some of you guys from seeing this w/some clarity.

It could be Vince Young behind Favre and I'd feel the same way.

Think of the packers FUTURE...

The 49ers held onto Steve Young till he was 38 and had no real back up groomed for him, and look how that turned out.

You guys really want to see Brett decline? I don't think the Favre faithful want to see that.

We have one..and we should take full advantage of it.

Members online

Latest posts