1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Bret Retire NOW

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by starpass, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ILOVETHEPACK

ILOVETHEPACK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think that he should be the one hung out on the limb, where was the run game?

2. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that we have gotten the "Favre retire" thing out of our system let's move on. Can we lock this thread forever?

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,975
    oakland game 156 yards,29 carries 5.4 per carry 18 degrees and got colder as game went on

chicago 14 carries 100 yards 16 degrees windchill -18

yup cant run in cold weather

4. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    First of all fuzznuts, genius... if the team simply comes out and says that you will not run the ball.... you wont. They can stack the box.. that leaves room behind them to pass the ball around. Due to the weather, incompetent quarterback play and lazy routes and all around ineffectiveness we couldnt do that. Its not the end of the world and im not heaping all the blame on favre. Bottom line is, 5 guys cant block 8. YET The oline played a great game in the fact that they did what they could do in the run game... and kept Favre safe. he had plenty of time to operate.

I am not saying Brett should retire. Im very ok with him coming back. I think what people are saying is ... maybe its time we let someone else try... because we havent won an NFC championship since 1997. I think some people think this may be as far as old Brett can take us.

again im not blaming favre or asking for his retirment.. I LOVE THE GUY. Im just saying that it can be his fault sometimes and holding onto something too long can be very detrimental to a teams future.
    ALL THAT SAID... he will be back next year, because he will not go out on an interception. And i welcome him.

but you guys need to learn that your the reason people hate Favre or call him Lord Favre. because you think he can do no wrong... which evidenced by last nights game... he cleary can do wrong. just be sensible thats all i ask.

5. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cal I can actually see a lot of what you're saying and I was actually pointing out Favre had as much to do with the loss as any other member. My point was for the pesimistic fans of 31 teams they can say after every year they need a new QB cause their guy couldn't get it done. That doesn't leave a QB very good odds of pleasing everyone. I just think it's crazy to say a guy who was the runner-up MVP needs to move on. And I can't quit understand why you figure he won't be around by the time we're SB ready. If in one year he can go from 8-8 to 13-3 and NFC title game is a SB next year that big a leap. Not being rude just asking :)

6. favreisdaman

favreisdaman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    who ever think brett should retire is ungratefull!!brett has worked his whole football carreer to give us some kind of hope,the man has worked his butt off for us!!has giving packer fans a reason to wake up every morning and say " hey we have a chance for the super bowl this year"...... the man period!!!!!!!!!!!! and you just want to give up on him just like this???? go pull for the bears or patriots! us true packer/favre fans dont need ya!

7. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    First of all...in the first half, they did stack the box, and Favre was completing passes over the middle of the field. He threw two TD's and they kicked a FG in the first half, and they were winning by halftime.

Now, in the second half, the Giants backed off the box and we still couldn't run the ball, nor could our WR's get open. Go back and watch the game again. Also, for some reason...McCarthy went away from the middle of the field and started going deep. Not a good idea in such conditions....

The Giants were able to run the ball and open up the pass....

Not so, the Packers...the Giants were able to stuff the run, and still lock down our WR's for some reason and that is why there were alot of 3 and out's in the second half.

The Giants just whipped the Packers on both sides of the ball...

There is no other explanation.

That is why they lost. The Packers became one dimensional....

Just like the first half of the Dallas game this year...!

(ps..i told you guys not to underestimate the Giants..damn...i wish that it were'nt true!)

8. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I had on the NFL network yesterday, and they think Favre will be back, but the also stated that if Favre does retire it will take many years for us to get this far with Rodgers, he hasnt proven himself as of yet and nor will he ever be Brett Favre. Finally something nice being said about our QB.

People can call Favre anything they want, he has been with this team for so long and it will be a sad day when he does retire. When we start loosing games because we have Rodgers then people will say, "why did Brett retire"? "We need him". Again that decision is up to Favre and his family. If he does retire In 5 years I will be in Ohio watching him get into the Hall of Fame.

I have never said that Favre can do no wrong, yes he has made his share of interceptions just like any other QB the man is not perfect just like I am not perfect and you are not perfect. But it does take an entire team to win a football game.

9. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am definitely a Favre fanatic, but that is a little rich for the NFL network to say that. I liken our situation to the Chargers of a few years back. No doubt that Drew Brees is/was the better quarterback, but when a team has talent in the key areas even a step back in the QB department should not affect the team too much. I say we still compete quite well in the playoffs with the nucleus of talent we have in the organization should Favre decide that this is the end of the road for his career and Rodgers becomes our starter. That being said Favre still gives us our best chance to win the SuperBowl.

10. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    Exactly. Look how he played the week before. He looked like he was playing 12 years ago. The under handed pass for a first down while struggling to maintain balance reminded me of the two handed chest pass to Dorsey Levens during a Kevin Greene sack in the NFC Championship against the Panthers.

Favre's performance in this year's NFC title game, including the interception in overtime, does not warrant retirement. He is still able to play at a high caliber, mentally and physically.

Anyone who is willing to give up on him for the other night and call for his retirement, does not have his head on straight and I would question their loyalty.

11. Profizzle99

Profizzle99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, he should not retire unless he becomes worse than our backup, when that happens Favre should go.

12. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone remember where the Bronco's were at after the 96 season. Fans calling for Elaway to retire cause he couldn't get them over the hump. What if he would of listened? Those same fans didn't seem to upset when he delivered 2 SB trophies to them

13. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,975
    He NEEDED T.D to help deliver those 2 trophies

14. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    AMEN!

15. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect, so we're set. He got TD and now we got Grant. Ready for next year :pop:

16. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly don't think you can do the one-on-one comparison. You really have to look at it as Rodgers and what we can invest in with the savings from Brett's contract. Normally I would say that Brett still wins this easily, but as the years go by it becomes more and more of a difficult decision.

17. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    And what happens if Rodgers throws an interception leading to a loss in a playoff game? Do we throw him to the wolves as well?

18. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    We shouldn't punch closet Vikings fans in the face. Just take heart knowing next year the Vikings will probably be 8 and 8, while we are in the playoffs again...

with Favre...

and probably in the Super Bowl...

with Favre...

And Favre will be holding the Lombardi trophy, much to the dismay and guilt of the naysayers.

19. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Defense92 said..

We rip him a new *******....
    :shock: :lol:

20. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    Romo threw a pick to seal a Giants' victory eliminating Dallas from the playoffs. Romo needs to retire.

21. Cal2GreenBay

Cal2GreenBay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Romo's young. Favre's 38 and is definitely in decline.
    That's why the satire doesn't work.

Romo and other "young" quarterbacks can get better and have more opportunities to do so.

As Favre is going to be 39..and taking away from opportunities for
    our young QB to "grow into the role"

you know..the thing you guys claim he lacks?
    Why do you think he lacks the growth?
    You can't grow w/someone in the way.

The first 3 years, I believe their relationship was healthy.
    Now in year 4..they are officially in each other's way

22. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    DEFINATELY!

We would have been better off if Dallas beat N.Y. and we had to play Dallas on the road. I honestly think we would have won that game.

23. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    Ages of the two aside, it's the same action and same result.

As far as getting in each other's way, this is nothing against Rodgers, but right now, this is Favre's team. Rodgers can wait for Favre to retire, or if the opportunity presents itself to start somewhere else in the meantime, consider that as an option. Maybe, Rodgers won't be the quarterback of the future in Green Bay. Again, I don't mean anything against Rodgers. He performed well against Dallas. I agree with you on the growth thing. He won't be able to grow as much by merely being a backup, which is why starting somewhere else would be a good option.

24. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Well lets see,

Bush and Williams are young and Harris and Woodson are older...let's sit them too.
    Tauscher too. And Clifton. And after all, Driver is getting up there and in the way of Ruvell playing.

this is the NFL. You play who gives you the best chance to win. Do you want the talent of this team to be wasted while waiting for Rodger to "Grow" into the position? I think that experiment played out in Chicago.....how'd that work?

I am excited because I think Rodgers will be a good fit once favre retires. He showed promise, however, we have no idea how good he is once other teams start preparing for him. But until Favre declines physically or retires, he is a much better QB than Rodger is.

Rodgers might just be a career backup with the packers.....at $3MM a season, it's not a bad gig.

25. Cal2GreenBay

Cal2GreenBay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    You guys are hilarious. Can't really get the AGE point until you stretch it out to absurdity.

Let's talk when Harris or Woodson is 38....

Ummm..it's not 3 million per season that AR's getting as a backup (check the previous threads on this).

He makes 1.7 million and change as the backup.
    He has an escalator clause that bumps his salary to 5 mil if he were to start.

Since Brett has "come back" all FOUR years of the 5 years on Aaron's deal
    Brett's actually costs Aaron about 12 million bucks.

Now for him to sit back and be gracious about that is REAL character.

Do you go w/the player that shows signs he can be the man, or do you go w/the man who is nearing the end?

The Brett Favre blinders prevent some of you guys from seeing this w/some clarity.

It could be Vince Young behind Favre and I'd feel the same way.

Think of the packers FUTURE...

The 49ers held onto Steve Young till he was 38 and had no real back up groomed for him, and look how that turned out.

You guys really want to see Brett decline? I don't think the Favre faithful want to see that.

We have one..and we should take full advantage of it.