Bret Retire NOW

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
MplsPacker said:
^Hey, even Montana had to move over for Young. I'm not saying Aaron Rodgers is Steve Young, but the 49ers knew when it was time to part ways with their most celebrated star athlete, the man whose brought them to most success. So who knows.

And once again, let me iliterate, I don't want Favre to retire. It would be fun to watch him win another MVP and SB ring. Then i could rub it into all these Viking fans' faces up here.

Aaron Rodgers hasn't done **** in the NFL yet.....

I can't believe people are calling for him to replace Favre after the year he just had!

Spoiled fans...i love them!

IT's NOT that fans are believing Rodgers is BETTER than Favre right now.
It really has nothing to do w/that.(some people cannot seem to get past that point..TIME and TIME again)

It's that many packers fans are TIRED of seeing the same results from Brett

He played well and got VERY FAR this year. NO ONE can take that away.

Aaron would've NEVER gotten the team this far in this particular year.
YES..it is ME saying that. GASP! Looking at things objectively...
who knew?

Think of it this way.....it's like a coaching staff when they've run their course and players are tired of the same voice and even if the staff is a good one, and effective..sometimes people just need change.

That's what the outcry is for right now. CHANGE. And Rodgers represents change. It's not a comparison battle and that seems so much the defensive sticking point from all the Favre purists.

Try not to take it so personally. It's laughable and a bit scarey that people do take it personally. And they accuse me of being a family member of the Rodgers familiy? Are you guys closet wannabe Favre family members?
"Favre-spoiled" fans..gotta love em!

So..you're saying they should make a "change" for "changes sake", not necessarily because it would be the better or right thing to do.

Sorry dude, but that makes absolutely NO sense.

Admit it, you just want to see Rodgers because you a fan of his, and no other reason...even if he doesn't represent the best chance to win the game...

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding the game:

THE REAL CAUSE OF THE LOSS...

Ryan Grant performed poorly in Lambeau conditions and it showed that his running style was not conducive to the weather.

That was what seemed more exposed than anything. After that was the ripple effect...this forced the bad playcalling to more pass..to receivers who couldn't use their real speed..and forced Brett to make difficult throws in weather that couldn't allow it. THis made him make non "safe" throws. The ones that Eli Manning was able to do last night.

Manning only made throws straight and in front of him for the most part.
Brett was forced to make touch throws, across the body throws and
yes throws under more pressure.

It's a domino effect from the lack of running game that rippled through the packers.

MplsPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MplsPacker said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
MplsPacker said:
Hi, I'm new here but let me say first, I'm a die-hard Packer fan from Minneapolis. And I have to say, this loss hurts. Why?

1) Because after Dallas fell to the Giants, we were favored to win and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. I know some of you are saying that we finished 14-4 and we should be happy with that. B.S.!! We were one win away from the Super Bowl and by all means, we should be there considering the season we had.

2) Brett DID throw the game away. Be realistic. How did you feel when Tynes missed the last FG in regulation, then we win the coin toss in OT, only to have Brett throw an INT on our own 40 yard line??? I can tell you this, it sucked! We were in position to lose so many times, but we persevered through missed FG's and fumbled INT's. And when the time came for one of the most noticable name in Packer history to lead us into FG range, he choked. He choked. That's reality.

Wake up and smell the roses, we did NOT loose this game because of Favre alone. Our team played poorly thats the bottom line. Get a grip

Are you ignoring the fact that we had a chance to march down the field and win the game in OT??

What if we were winning at that point? Our team played poorly up til that point of interception. We could have been way ahead by then. So dont put the blame solely on Favre. I am not saying he didnt have a part in it, but its as a team that they lost.

Ahhh. So if Favre would've led the team into scoring position and won it, it would've been considered a team effort and Favre wouldn't be in spot light for the game-winning drive right?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Fuzznuts said:
MplsPacker said:
^Hey, even Montana had to move over for Young. I'm not saying Aaron Rodgers is Steve Young, but the 49ers knew when it was time to part ways with their most celebrated star athlete, the man whose brought them to most success. So who knows.

And once again, let me iliterate, I don't want Favre to retire. It would be fun to watch him win another MVP and SB ring. Then i could rub it into all these Viking fans' faces up here.

Aaron Rodgers hasn't done **** in the NFL yet.....

I can't believe people are calling for him to replace Favre after the year he just had!

Spoiled fans...i love them!

IT's NOT that fans are believing Rodgers is BETTER than Favre right now.
It really has nothing to do w/that.(some people cannot seem to get past that point..TIME and TIME again)

It's that many packers fans are TIRED of seeing the same results from Brett

He played well and got VERY FAR this year. NO ONE can take that away.

Aaron would've NEVER gotten the team this far in this particular year.
YES..it is ME saying that. GASP! Looking at things objectively...
who knew?

Think of it this way.....it's like a coaching staff when they've run their course and players are tired of the same voice and even if the staff is a good one, and effective..sometimes people just need change.

That's what the outcry is for right now. CHANGE. And Rodgers represents change. It's not a comparison battle and that seems so much the defensive sticking point from all the Favre purists.

Try not to take it so personally. It's laughable and a bit scarey that people do take it personally. And they accuse me of being a family member of the Rodgers familiy? Are you guys closet wannabe Favre family members?
"Favre-spoiled" fans..gotta love em!

So..you're saying they should make a "change" for "changes sake", not necessarily because it would be the better or right thing to do.

Sorry dude, but that makes absolutely NO sense.

Admit it, you just want to see Rodgers because you a fan of his, and no other reason...even if he doesn't represent the best chance to win the game...

Fuzz..ever heard of Marty Schottenheimer? He lead a 14-2
Charger team to the playoffs??
People thought they were crazy for getting rid of him.
They replaced him w/Norv Turner...you think that wasn't seen as crazy?

For now it looks okay..but sometimes they team needs change.

Again you can't seem to let go of categorizing me in one way(that's your opinion..and really shortsighted)...but you're also being shortsighted in the larger scope of the packers.

The team can't go farther as it is right now. That was evident.
Brett was exposed to a certain degree. It wasn't entirely his fault
but he had a sizable contribution to it.

The Packers teams have ALWAYS been flawed.
EVERY football team is flawed. NO team is perfect.

The MAGIC of Favre is that even w/a flawed team, he was able
to make the teams overachieve and in situations where they were
exposed for lack of running game or o-line breakdowns...

Favre could make something out of nothing and bail them out.

He succeeded in bailing the team out in some games this year
for sure (remember the game winning pass to James Jones against the Broncos in overtime)...

but in the PLAYOFFS...it was shown that he can only go so far now.

He can't be superhuman anymore. It doesn't make him a bad QB
he's still a probowl qb. But he can't bail the team out because of it's deficiencies.

So IMO...they cannot grow as a team depending on him to bail them out.
The young team didn't respond and Brett was forced to try and do that.

He can't carry the team anymore. That's not a bad thing.
That's just how it is.

So it's to easy for you to categorize me a certain way. Try getting past that and look at the points I'm making about Ryan Grant etc..
and the points I made above

So it's not CHANGE fo change's sake. IT's CHANGE for the packer's future and ensuring that they have no dip in the team's performance once the QB succession happens.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you talking about, Zombie...

Favre was good in the first half...

He threw 2 TD's...and drove them for a FG...

They were winning. As a matter of fact, with no running game to speak of...Brett Favre WAS the offense yesterday...

Without him..it would have been a blowout..

The problem is that the Giants shut down the short passing game in the second half and the GB coaches had no answers....just 3 and outs...

The Giants outplayed the Packers football TEAM.

It happens.

Also, the defense didn't help at all!

Fuzznuts - That's what I was trying to say.

Favre didn't have a good game, but the reason we lost is because the Giants D completely shut down our running game. You almost never win a Playoff game with 28 yards rushing.

Although Favre didn't have a good game, he was better than Brady yesterday, who threw 3 INTs and did some serious boneheaded things. However, Brady got bailed out by Maroney, who was electric yesterday. Maroney single-handedly wore down that Chargers D. He kept running and hitting people all day, and just wearing them down.

A team lives and dies as a team. Blaming Favre for this loss is downright stupid.

Favre had an incredible year. I'm hoping he plays at least one more. If he can maintain this level of play, I hope he plays four or five more.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm so glad that it took all of 5 minutes after our playoff loss to get into the same worn-out discussion we've been in the last two offseasons. Ugh.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I'm so glad that it took all of 5 minutes after our playoff loss to get into the same worn-out discussion we've been in the last two offseasons. Ugh.

I just made a comment about bikinis and got sucked into it too.
Good point.

I'll just stick to bikinis...

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
MplsPacker said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
MplsPacker said:
Hi, I'm new here but let me say first, I'm a die-hard Packer fan from Minneapolis. And I have to say, this loss hurts. Why?

1) Because after Dallas fell to the Giants, we were favored to win and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. I know some of you are saying that we finished 14-4 and we should be happy with that. B.S.!! We were one win away from the Super Bowl and by all means, we should be there considering the season we had.

2) Brett DID throw the game away. Be realistic. How did you feel when Tynes missed the last FG in regulation, then we win the coin toss in OT, only to have Brett throw an INT on our own 40 yard line??? I can tell you this, it sucked! We were in position to lose so many times, but we persevered through missed FG's and fumbled INT's. And when the time came for one of the most noticable name in Packer history to lead us into FG range, he choked. He choked. That's reality.

Wake up and smell the roses, we did NOT loose this game because of Favre alone. Our team played poorly thats the bottom line. Get a grip

Are you ignoring the fact that we had a chance to march down the field and win the game in OT??

What if we were winning at that point? Our team played poorly up til that point of interception. We could have been way ahead by then. So dont put the blame solely on Favre. I am not saying he didnt have a part in it, but its as a team that they lost.

Ahhh. So if Favre would've led the team into scoring position and won it, it would've been considered a team effort and Favre wouldn't be in spot light for the game-winning drive right?

YES!! It would have been a team effort, you just dont get it. Its a team working together making the plays, its just NOT one person throwing the ball, its the person that made the catch, its the person that made the catch getting extra yards out of the play, its a team effort.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

I just made a comment about bikinis and got sucked into it too.
Good point.

I'll just stick to bikinis...

Okay. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen Favre throw balls and the recievers not catching them, I have also seen Favre telling the guy he did the wrong route, so we blame Brett for this? Dont get me wrong I have seen Brett make some poor throws as well, but I will never condem any of them as a single person making the mistake, again its the entire team. And the entire team wins the football game and the entire team looses the football game. Otherwise why have so many players on a team when we are only going to blame one person. Crazy

MattDC06

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre shouldn't retire with his last play being an interception...to the Giants....

..in the NFC championship

...in Lambeau..

..to the Giants

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen Favre throw balls and the recievers not catching them, I have also seen Favre telling the guy he did the wrong route, so we blame Brett for this? Dont get me wrong I have seen Brett make some poor throws as well, but I will never condem any of them as a single person making the mistake, again its the entire team. And the entire team wins the football game and the entire team looses the football game. Otherwise why have so many players on a team when we are only going to blame one person. Crazy

i think what mlps is trying to say is that... if we won that game the headlines and most people on this site would be saying...

FAVRE DOES IT AGAIN!!! not THE PACK WINS!!!

When you get all the credit for wins, you get all the blame for losses... its just how it goes. I think Brett is a big boy and can take both.

And you said that you've seen Brett make some poor throws, but you wont blame him. Ummm, if Brett makes poor throws, even when he has time in the pocket and the receiver is open... then it is definetly Favres fault. Not that it happens a whole lot.... im just making the point that if your QB doesnt make the correct throw ... you dont have a good shot at winning.

Case in point... 3rd down 4th quarter... Brett missed an open Donald Driver that would have made a world of difference. Its not Bretts fault we lost this game... but it was his fault that we missed that particular opportunity.

Its a fine line we walk all the time on this touchy subject. Again not blaming Favre... just making sure he gets the same blame as the other players. and people should just quit with the O-line crap right now. They handled a pretty stout D-line and gave Brett plenty of time.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense92 said:
starpass said:
nuff said.

It's "enough" and sentences start with words beginning with capital letters. Your literacy matches your loyalty.

I am sure you weren't saying this about Favre last week when he made those incredible plays. Favre is the best thing to happen to the Packers. He will be back and we will be back.
Oh sure, but throw Al Harris under the bus, eh?

Don't forget what got us here. All of it.

I didn't say throw him under a bus. Make him a towel boy or trade him to the Vikings, Bears, or Lions.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense92 said:
starpass said:
nuff said.

It's "enough" and sentences start with words beginning with capital letters. Your literacy matches your loyalty.

I am sure you weren't saying this about Favre last week when he made those incredible plays. Favre is the best thing to happen to the Packers. He will be back and we will be back.
Oh sure, but throw Al Harris under the bus, eh?

Don't forget what got us here. All of it.

I didn't say throw him under a bus. Make him a towel boy or trade him to the Vikings, Bears, or Lions.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris doesn't need to be traded. He's still (usually) one of the greatest CB's playing right now. He just needs some motivation.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris doesn't need to be traded. He's still (usually) one of the greatest CB's playing right now. He just needs some motivation.

I like Al Harris. He's a good CB.
Yesterday, he needed help. He didn't get it.
I partially blame the coaching.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eap33 said:

I like Al Harris. He's a good CB.
Yesterday, he needed help. He didn't get it.
I partially blame the coaching.

My thoughts exactly.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre played poorly especially at the end but that doesn't mean he should retire. Let's not forget what helped the Pack get here. He was certainly apart of the team and one of the leaders. I'm curious about Rodgers as much as anyone but Favre has no reason to retire after his play this season unless his family wants him too.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I saw the game I don't know if I've ever seen more of a complete team loss so to blame one player is ridiculous. But if you want Favre to retire I guess so should Manning, Romo, Rivers,Hasslebach and Big Ben. It's quit clear those guys don't have what it takes anymore

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I saw the game I don't know if I've ever seen more of a complete team loss so to blame one player is ridiculous. But if you want Favre to retire I guess so should Manning, Romo, Rivers,Hasslebach and Big Ben. It's quit clear those guys don't have what it takes anymore

Ahh...this was like some sort of "clever" sarcasm post to indicate
people who make any comment about Favre are being foolish.

Ah I gotcha! What were we all thinking? haha. Too funny.

Let's see here.

Manning = Still can't win the big game. He only won against the Chicago bears. He crumbled against San Diego. Big stat guy, still not big game guy. Not just my opinion. His hometown is tearing him apart.

Romo = He has lost every big game he's been in. He's got to prove otherwise. Has to prove he can play under pressure. Hasn't done that.

Rivers = He crumbles under pressure and starts blaming his teammates in many situations. His suspect arm and decision making are quite visible in playoff situations.

Hassellbach = Mediocre QB. Mediocre team. They are just a medium grade team and a QB who has reached his full potential. That's as far as they'll go.

Rothlisberger= Protected by a dominant defense and strong running game his early years. Completely choked in the Superbowl and was lucky to win w/the defense bailing him out. He has not proven he can win a game w/his arm and the new offense.

BRETT FAVRE=Magician and bailed out flawed Green Bay teams w/his gunslinging. He was the X-factor that put the Pack over teams they had no business beating.

NOW the team is young and unproven and growing together. He is still a good QB but can no longer be the person to bail them out each time.
By the team the team matures into a full TEAM...Brett will need to hand the reigns over.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Favre still wants to play, and until Rodgers proves he's better than Favre, Favre will be our starting QB. Anyone who has a problem with that, don't argue with me. Take it up with MM.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:

i think what mlps is trying to say is that... if we won that game the headlines and most people on this site would be saying...

When you get all the credit for wins, you get all the blame for losses... its just how it goes. I think Brett is a big boy and can take both.

And you said that you've seen Brett make some poor throws, but you wont blame him. Ummm, if Brett makes poor throws, even when he has time in the pocket and the receiver is open... then it is definetly Favres fault. Not that it happens a whole lot.... im just making the point that if your QB doesnt make the correct throw ... you dont have a good shot at winning.

Case in point... 3rd down 4th quarter... Brett missed an open Donald Driver that would have made a world of difference. Its not Bretts fault we lost this game... but it was his fault that we missed that particular opportunity.

Its a fine line we walk all the time on this touchy subject. Again not blaming Favre... just making sure he gets the same blame as the other players. and people should just quit with the O-line crap right now. They handled a pretty stout D-line and gave Brett plenty of time.

You see...I thought you knew about football...because in football (the ultimate team sport)...one thing kind of depends on another...

Because if the O-Line played so great as you say...then the Packers would have had a running game instead of just getting 28 yards the whole game and being extremely one dimensional. If they had this, then it would have kept the Giants honest and they would have had to respect the run all game, which they didn't, and it would have set up the pass so the receivers would have been open in the 4th Qtr...which the weren't! That's a pretty funny idea you have of good offensive line play...28 rushing yards. The Packers couldn't even run a screen play because the Giants were blowing them up all night.

Also...I'm sure that you believe that defense wins championships, right?
Well...it would have been nice if the Packer defense could have made one or two stops and made the Giants punt during the game....but they didn't show up either! But the Giants defense sure did!

So, the O-Line sucked at run blocking and the defense just sucked in general...

But by all means...blame the whole loss on Favre, because that is what you really want to do without objectively looking at and understanding the game of football as a whole....

That makes a lot of sense to me.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:

You see...I thought you knew about football...because in football (the ultimate team sport)...one thing kind of depends on another...

Because if the O-Line played so great as you say...then the Packers would have had a running game instead of just getting 28 yards the whole game and being extremely one dimensional. If they had this, then it would have kept the Giants honest and they would have had to respect the run all game, which they didn't, and it would have set up the pass so the receivers would have been open in the 4th Qtr...which the weren't! That's a pretty funny idea you have of good offensive line play...28 rushing yards. The Packers couldn't even run a screen play because the Giants were blowing them up all night.

Well...it would have been nice if the Packer defense could have made one or two stops and made the Giants punt during the game....but they didn't show up either! But the Giants defense sure did!

But by all means...blame the whole loss on Favre, because that is what you really want to do without objectively looking at and understanding the game of football as a whole....

Again not blaming Favre... just making sure he gets the same blame as the other players.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:

I was going to write again until I seen this post, nicely put Fuzznuts!!

The thing is everyone on the team made mistakes last night, it wasnt the "one" interception by Favre that cost us, of course it did not help but it didnt cost us this whole game. I do not blame "one" individual, such as Harris, Favre, Grant etc....they kicked themselves in the foot in this game. Now when some say that Favre now should retire because of this one bad play he made, is totally crazy IMO. He was the one that got us where we were to this point. I NEVER blame just one person in a game usually its alot of players combined. Okay so I posted anyways. :)

Members online

Latest posts